post #511 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by hjriver
I would think if the broadcasters settled on one standard then the manufacturers would have to conform and manufacture their products to work with that standard. After all it's the consumer that buys the product and if...they don't have a viable product then they lose out on sales (profit). It doesn't matter if they have a different agenda. They would be forced to play the game or get out of the business.

They did..it's called ATSC and it's made up of multiple formats mainly because of manufactuers wanting their standard as part of it. Sorta like the chicken and the egg argument. That's why we have different networks broadcasting 1080I & 720p.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by beaudot
I've read what you just wrote several times, and I cannot make any sense of what you are trying to say.

I must ask, why must you bother trying to insert your opinion into a thread that really has no bearing on what you watch on your tv? I've read through your posts on other threads, and it seems your only point is to try to incite. Please leave our little Richmond thread alone and go on elsewhere.

The point of this thread is to allow for fellow Richmonders to share with each other (and as a side benefit, share with some station engineers) their experiences receiving Richmond DTV signals. I can't find a single post of yours in this thread that adds value to this conversation. Please don't come back, you are not welcome. If anyone else disagrees, please speak up, and I will recant this little rant. This is a harmless thread designed to help out this community, I don't understand your need to inflict your troll-like attitude upon us. If you feel like you need to continue to be a participant here, please explain yourself. Otherwise, please go away.

When did Ken make give you authority to determine who can or cannot post on this forum and who the hell do you think you are anyway. God almighty?

I have you know I watch the Richmond stations so I have every right to post here. Get off your self-appointed importance kick! Maybe it's you who should refrain from posting if you cannot be tolerant of others.

Harold Jackson
post #513 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mpark
They did..it's called ATSC and it's made up of multiple formats mainly because of manufactuers wanting their standard as part of it. Sorta like the chicken and the egg argument. That's why we have different networks broadcasting 1080I & 720p.

I still agree that it would be better for all if a single standard could be adopted.

I have watched WWBT for years going back to when it was WRVA owned by Larus Brothers. In the early days the station was more or less open to the public and hosted a live afternoon teen dance program hosted by Dave Davies and sponsered by Wonder Bread. We would dance on camera around the pool and wander around the station. My how things have changed over the years.

Harold Jackson
post #514 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Question for mpark:

Worked late last night, so I recorded the NASCAR race from 12-1 on my Comcast HD PVR. The pre-race show began in upconverted 16:9, but the audio was WAY out of synch. My receiver reported it as Dolby Pro as opposed to Digital 5.1, and the sound preceded the picture by a good five seconds.

Before the race began, the video format switched to 4:3 (which looked sharper unstretched, especially the text in graphics) and the audio was back in synch.

I haven't watched a lot of the race yet, but I was wondering if you could explain what happened. My guess was that either the 16:9 upconvert had no sound and the audio from the alternate feed didn't match, or that the 16:9 feed had a sever lip-synch problem that forced a switch to the 4:3 signal.

Water over the dam, but I was curious.
post #515 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 11:03 AM

Finally, how about skins in HD on FOX 35 , it's awesome here at 01:02 pm. no more sunday ticket for me I'll can it next year.
post #516 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The Skins LOOK good, now if Gibbs could just teach them how to PLAY good.

Found a partial answer to my previous question on NASCAR lip-synch problems in the HD programming forum. Seems like NBC couldn't get the video and audio in synch on the upconverted widescreen feed, apparently because of their new 5-second delay to protect our delicate ears from frustrated drivers using the S-word (though they got it right last week,) so they switched to the 4:3 SD feed.

The result looked pretty sharp, not quite as good as the 1080i upconvert, but better than the usual WWBT-DT stretch.
post #517 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 11:49 AM

It's 10-0 now that's good.

Another issue on 1080i, I recorded the colts game last week, w/o commercial I stop and restart the record until the game finish it's 18 GIGS 5 DVD's that's impractical, on the other hand, if it's 720p , 1 hr will fit on one 4.7 DVD, that's what I did with WHRO PBS_HD. at 720p.

I am doing the same for the skins game today hopefully will take 3 DVD-R 's to finish the whole game w commercials (kinda sick of start and stop recording)
post #518 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 12:36 PM

game looks great on FOX OTA.
post #519 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wittangamo
The Skins LOOK good, now if Gibbs could just teach them how to PLAY good.

Found a partial answer to my previous question on NASCAR lip-synch problems in the HD programming forum. Seems like NBC couldn't get the video and audio in synch on the upconverted widescreen feed, apparently because of their new 5-second delay to protect our delicate ears from frustrated drivers using the S-word (though they got it right last week,) so they switched to the 4:3 SD feed.

The result looked pretty sharp, not quite as good as the 1080i upconvert, but better than the usual WWBT-DT stretch.

Yep, you basically answered your own question. NBC was having problems. We ended up eventially going to our upconvert to stretch the image.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #520 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Hope they get it back for the next race. Upconverted 1080i in genuine 16:9 looks a lot better.
post #521 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 06:41 PM

Is anyone having problems with FOX 35-1 tonight. It keeps going in and out on me. It started today with the Redskins games and has continued with baseball. My other OTA channels are coming in fine, so before I went up on the roof and messed with the antenna, I wanted to check to see if anyone else was having any probles.

Thanks for any responses.
post #522 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

I have been watching FOX5 out of DC this evening, but I just switched over to Fox35 and it has coming in fine for the past 10 minutes: Signal Quality - 96, Signal to Noise Ratio 28.0+ and I am 51 miles out. I caught only a few minutes of the Skins game this afternoon and didn't noticed any problems.
post #523 of 8857 Old 10-17-2004, 07:13 PM

Thanks, I guess I will be heading up onto the roof tomorrow...
post #524 of 8857 Old 10-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kmadel
Is anyone having problems with FOX 35-1 tonight. It keeps going in and out on me. It started today with the Redskins games and has continued with baseball. My other OTA channels are coming in fine, so before I went up on the roof and messed with the antenna, I wanted to check to see if anyone else was having any probles.

Thanks for any responses.

Perfect for me for the whole game.
post #525 of 8857 Old 10-18-2004, 10:07 AM

Hi all,

I recently purchased an OTA tuner from eBay and a RadioShak antenna to get the local HD feeds unavailable from Comcast. I have been pretty pleased with the results (MLB and NFL). However, there are times when I get flaky reception, dropouts, etc.

It may be time to mount a roof top antenna. Can anyone recommend someone to help choose the right antenna for my needs, mount the antenna and route the wire. I am in a brick home in the Fan.

Thanks,
Tom
post #526 of 8857 Old 10-18-2004, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tom-
Welcome to the forum (and this thread). I own a HT install/design company and have long offered to help fellow Richmonders with their HD setup. Send me a PM or an email to steve@enhancedht.com. I offer an initial visit and advise at no charge/no obligation.

Let me know if I can help.

Steve
post #527 of 8857 Old 10-18-2004, 10:19 AM

I watched FOX 35-1 yesterday for six hours straight with no problems. Baseball looked amazing. Looking forward to the games tonight.

I use the "dreaded" TERK TV55 indoor/outdoor antenna mounted on my family room wall with great results. Not recommending it, just saying it works well for me here in Sandston. I like the fact that I can slide it left or right on the mounts that came with it to get a good signal with NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, and now FOX. No climbing to the roof or attic to get a signal.
post #528 of 8857 Old 10-18-2004, 01:14 PM

I was just checking over the listings on Titan TV and it shows PBS 42 (23-1) as having an HD program tonight at 10:30 called "Fort Niagra...." This is the first time I recall seeing the HD monaker on a Richmond PBS station. Does anyone know if that is the case? Hope so. Thanks.
post #529 of 8857 Old 10-18-2004, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Is anyone having problems with FOX 35-1 tonight.

I experienced a few intermittent dropouts on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, but they stopped happening when the wind calmed down. I was surprised to see multipath rearing it's ugly head in my case because I've had perfect reception of all other locals ever since moving my Silver Sensor into my attic.
post #530 of 8857 Old 10-19-2004, 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by oakenshld
I was just checking over the listings on Titan TV and it shows PBS 42 (23-1) as having an HD program tonight at 10:30 called "Fort Niagra...." This is the first time I recall seeing the HD monaker on a Richmond PBS station. Does anyone know if that is the case? Hope so. Thanks.

I mised that yesterday, was it?

I checked Titan TV, it listed 44 (23-1), jakers in HD at 3:30 pm, it also listed 42 as 23-1 ,,uhh,,, go figure.

I understood 44 has been off the air for sometimes?? or is it 44 by mapping??

Someone please straight this out. Would be nice to have PBS HD here in Richmond.
post #531 of 8857 Old 10-19-2004, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by docchak
I mised that yesterday, was it?

I checked Titan TV, it listed 44 (23-1), jakers in HD at 3:30 pm, it also listed 42 as 23-1 ,,uhh,,, go figure.

I understood 44 has been off the air for sometimes?? or is it 44 by mapping??

Someone please straight this out. Would be nice to have PBS HD here in Richmond.

It was not HD. I tuned into digital 42 (PBS 23 analog I think) at 10:30 and no HD. Digital 44 (PBS 57 analog I think) has been off the air for a week or so now, so maybe they are getting HD ready. Let's hope. Does anyone have any info on our PBS affiliates here?
post #532 of 8857 Old 10-19-2004, 06:34 AM

Thank goodness for Fox HDTV last night, the standard def fox channel was so washed out that it was nearly unwatchable. My wife said it looked like it was in black and white. It's a shame that Comcast doesn't carry Fox's HD signal yet because I sure would have liked to Tivo that game in HD.
post #533 of 8857 Old 10-19-2004, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mits mania
Thank goodness for Fox HDTV last night, the standard def fox channel was so washed out that it was nearly unwatchable. My wife said it looked like it was in black and white. It's a shame that Comcast doesn't carry Fox's HD signal yet because I sure would have liked to Tivo that game in HD.

It really was terrible. I watched most of the Astros game while it was on FX and the color was perfect. As soon as they moved that game to Fox35 it was horrible.

Steve
post #534 of 8857 Old 10-19-2004, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

... I sure would have liked to Tivo that game in HD...

Exactly what I did. It was great to catch the ending of both games...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #535 of 8857 Old 10-19-2004, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bob-
How did the end of the Astros game look on Fox HD. I know it wasn't in HD, but I'm curious how the colors were. I was watching in the bedroom on a analog TV that wasn't HD.

Steve
post #536 of 8857 Old 10-19-2004, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Hey Mits, quick question for you. I have some friends that want to TIVO HD, but do not want to spend the money for D* and their Tivo unit. Is comcast here offering a DVR that can record HD?. I thought only D* had one, but if Comcast has one that would be great. Thx
post #537 of 8857 Old 10-19-2004, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Plenzmd1-
Yep, Comcast has an HD PVR. It's the Motorola box north in Richmond and the Scientific Atlanta box on the Southside.

Remember though, CBS and Fox HD are currently not available via Comcast.

Steve
post #538 of 8857 Old 10-19-2004, 08:02 AM

The game looked absolutely incredible in HD. My only gripe is that on the re-plays, when they showed the red Red Sox jackets they were wearing in the dugout, the colors looked a little blotchy. Since that was only there on the replays, I assume it is a compression/slow-mo artifiact and not anything to do with Fox-local.
post #539 of 8857 Old 10-19-2004, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve13
Plenzmd1-
Yep, Comcast has an HD PVR. It's the Motorola box north in Richmond and the Scientific Atlanta box on the Southside.

Remember though, CBS and Fox HD are currently not available via Comcast.

Thx Steve. No football though on Sunday, that makes it rough. Now, how do I explain to these guys that I was WRONG and TIVO D* not only option out there. Gonna make me look like an idiot lol.
post #540 of 8857 Old 10-19-2004, 08:22 AM

Is it too early to start wondering when Comcast is going to add FoxHD to their lineup. I've heard no word of any contractual disputes between Sinclair and Comcast in other markets, so it should just be a technical issue of getting the channel added. I would think Comcast has all the incentive in the world to make this happen ASAP with the World Series coming up.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page