post #541 of 8856 Old 10-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by plenzmd1
Thx Steve. No football though on Sunday, that makes it rough. Now, how do I explain to these guys that I was WRONG and TIVO D* not only option out there. Gonna make me look like an idiot lol.

Comcast has a DVR, but not with the slick Tivo interface. For those that have Tivo, you know that nothing else measures up. Also, at least for areas north of the river, only a single tuner box is available, which takes away much of the convenience offered by the 2 tuner sat Tivo boxes.
So, you were right that the HD Tivo is the only one like it available. The Comcast Motorola HD DVR box will record HD just fine, but with much more rudimentary guides and interface, no Season Pass - and only with that one tuner for both viewing and recording.
When will Comcast (north of the James) pick up a dual tuner HD DVR box? I think Southside already has one available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8856 Old 10-19-2004, 10:20 AM

I agree that the Comcast box doesn't approach Tivo for functionality, but it does allow one to record two programs simultaneously, something that no Tivo I know of allows. Even with that disadvantage, I would pay $5 more/month to have the HDTivo instead of the Comcast version
post #543 of 8856 Old 10-19-2004, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Mits mania
... Comcast box doesn't approach Tivo for functionality, but it does allow one to record two programs simultaneously, something that no Tivo I know of allows...

Oops, that's not true... The DirecTV HD TiVo can record two SD and/or HD programs at once. That can be one show thru DirecTV and one thru the OTA antenna, or two thru the antenna, or two thru DirecTV. The box has two satellite tuners and two ATSC tuners.. It's a nice box but very pricey at $999...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #544 of 8856 Old 10-19-2004, 10:24 AM

ARRRGHH! Why do you taunt me with your HDTivo. Would it have killed Scientific Atlanta to license the Tivo interface?
post #545 of 8856 Old 10-19-2004, 10:39 AM

Quote:

ARRRGHH! Why do you taunt me with your HDTivo. Would it have killed Scientific Atlanta to license the Tivo interface?

ARRGH, why do you taunt me with your 5.99 a month vs $1000 up front. Always pros and cons. While it sounds like tivo has more features, thats a lot of extra money.

Thx for the input all, now I will not sound like a complete idiot. Good to know there are choices out there, will make all products better.
post #546 of 8856 Old 10-19-2004, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Be like me. Get a DirecTV HDTiVo and the SA HD DVR from Comcast.!!! Why??? I have no idea. I don't even watch that much TV. I guess that since HT's are my business, I just like to have everything!!

Steve
post #547 of 8856 Old 10-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree that the Comcast box doesn't approach Tivo for functionality, but it does allow one to record two programs simultaneously, something that no Tivo I know of allows. Even with that disadvantage, I would pay $5 more/month to have the HDTivo instead of the Comcast version

Mits -
Just to clarify, the Moto 6208 boxes dispersed north of the Rivah have 1 tuner - I have one of these and can verify this.
I used to use a Hughes Tivo box for DirecTV, which had two tuners and only worked with the satellite. Having the two tuners was great as you could record one thing while flipping around to other channels (or record two programs simultaneously). As previously mentioned, the new HD Tivo can record two programs at once as well.
A buddy of mine just got cable on Southside and he got a dual tuner HD DVR Scientific Atlantic box.

Actually, the whole set top box software discussion is a whole other can of worms. I think the program guide and interface that Comcast puts on these boxes is terrible. Why do I have to look at ads when I'm paying over $100/ month? Why do the ad boxes take so much room away from the program guide so that many of the program listings are one or two words or the dreaded "...". Why can't I tell the box I have a 16x9 tv so it will put the guide across the whole screen? Really, it's so bad it's laughable. If you've had Tivo or some other good guide you realize how primitive the Comcast software is.

Sorry for the rant, but there is much better out there and it does make a difference. Can you tell I miss my Tivo?
post #548 of 8856 Old 10-19-2004, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve13
Bob-
How did the end of the Astros game look on Fox HD. I know it wasn't in HD, but I'm curious how the colors were. I was watching in the bedroom on a analog TV that wasn't HD.

The end of the Astros game was in HD on 35-1.
post #549 of 8856 Old 10-20-2004, 04:55 AM

So, great game last night - Go Sox!

Did anyone else have weird problems during the game where it was like old screens would repeat a few times (both the video screen and a piece of audio) or was the issue strictly with my setup.

Thanks,
Tom
post #550 of 8856 Old 10-20-2004, 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tpistey
So, great game last night - Go Sox!

Did anyone else have weird problems during the game where it was like old screens would repeat a few times (both the video screen and a piece of audio) or was the issue strictly with my setup.

Thanks,
Tom

Happened to me too, kind of a quick, double image thing and audio repeat. Also had a few dropouts last night I an sure it was the rain though.
post #551 of 8856 Old 10-20-2004, 06:42 AM

No drop-outs, but did get the weird double-image thing. I would bet that it was a problem with the national broadcast and not the local affiliate since a couple of times it seemed like a couple of seconds of audio would be repeated.
post #552 of 8856 Old 10-20-2004, 09:11 AM

Quick question --> Does anybody know if the DVI-out for the Chesterfield Comcast boxes is active? I've only had my TV for a couple of weeks and the Comcast guy installed the box while I was out (and I assume he installed with standard component cables).

If the DVI is active, has anybody done an A/B test of the picture quality of component vs DVI?
post #553 of 8856 Old 10-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mits -
I have the Moto box for Henrico, but I've had both cables hooked up to my Sony LCD RP tv, and I ended up going with DVI.
There was little, if any difference in HD quality. Differences were difficult to see as I needed to readjust my picture settings for DVI - they both looked great.
Where I noticed a bigger difference was in the analog channels (below 100). They looked terrible via component, but much better via DVI - less grain, less blur, etc.
So I think it's worth getting a DVI cable and seeing for yourself.
Good luck.
post #554 of 8856 Old 10-21-2004, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Keller
Mits -

So I think it's worth getting a DVI cable and seeing for yourself.
Good luck.

My two cents on this. Remember this is a digital stream, and as such the info either gets there or it does not. In other words, no need to spend up on a DVI cable such as Monster. Cheap one will do just as good a job as more expensive
post #555 of 8856 Old 10-21-2004, 09:10 AM

I did a quick froogle search on dvi cables. It's incredible that Monster charges $140 for a cable that carries 1's and 0's but that you can get the Philips version that carries the same 1's and 0's for just over $20.
post #556 of 8856 Old 10-21-2004, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Mits Mania said:
I did a quick froogle search on dvi cables. It's incredible that Monster charges $140 for a cable that carries 1's and 0's but that you can get the Philips version that carries the same 1's and 0's for just over $20.

Heh, heh... somewhere P.T. Barnum has a good laugh every time someone buys one of those Monster cables.
post #557 of 8856 Old 10-21-2004, 10:23 AM

Man,

Cant believe a buck forty.I thought maybe 60 bucks . But my guess is someone at CC or BB is listening to a sales drone with no knowledge and buys these things. INCREDIBLE
post #558 of 8856 Old 10-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

I've got a $20 DVI to HDMI cable. It works fine. Monster is making a killing on these.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #559 of 8856 Old 10-21-2004, 10:42 AM

Check eBay for cables. I got a 6' DVI cable via eBay for $2 plus $4 USPS priority mail shipping. It works great from my Moto HD cable box to my Sony KV-34XBR800. Neither I or my wife was able to see a difference in PQ between that and the component cables that came with the STB.
post #560 of 8856 Old 10-21-2004, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by plenzmd1
Man,

Cant believe a buck forty.I thought maybe 60 bucks . But my guess is someone at CC or BB is listening to a sales drone with no knowledge and buys these things. INCREDIBLE

Having a extensive elecrical/electronic and Instrumentation background in my opinion Monster products are overpriced junk. I aquired a monster power conditioner when I bought my HD set at BB. It was submerged during Isabel so I decided to take it apart and see what made it so great.

To my surprise and dismay the green ground wire from the very heavy-duty power cord was not even connected to the compenents inside rendering the unit useless. It was just dangling loose. The rest of the unit was nothing more than what one can buy at Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes for a much lower price. Actually the better ones at Walmart are pretty good. I have the VEPCO installed whole hose protector at the meter base and one on the outlets I want to protect.

CC and BB probably make a huge percentage of profit off the inflated cost of Monster products and is the reason they push them so hard. Buyer beware applies but most people have no way of knowing how good or effective these type units are and are at the mercy of the seller.

Harold Jackson
post #561 of 8856 Old 10-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Monster Cable makes so much money they just bought the naming rights to Candlestick Park in San Francisco - excuse me, Monster Park.

I've met Noel Lee, the founder of Monster Cable, which he started in his garage in the 70's. My impression of their cables is that they make a better than average cable, but you pay a huge premium for it. There are better deals out there and the law of diminishing returns definitely applies.
post #562 of 8856 Old 10-21-2004, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by hjriver
... I have the VEPCO installed whole house protector at the meter base...

Is your only option renting that whole house surge protector?

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #563 of 8856 Old 10-21-2004, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by VARTV
Is your only option renting that whole house surge protector?

You can buy single outlet protecters for audio/visual/computers and appliances. click here Home protection products

Harold Jackson
post #564 of 8856 Old 10-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Keller
Monster Cable makes so much money they just bought the naming rights to Candlestick Park in San Francisco - excuse me, Monster Park.

I've met Noel Lee, the founder of Monster Cable, which he started in his garage in the 70's. My impression of their cables is that they make a better than average cable, but you pay a huge premium for it. There are better deals out there and the law of diminishing returns definitely applies.

Man, those naming rights did nothing for me. I thought they were naming it after the job search website!
post #565 of 8856 Old 10-22-2004, 05:24 AM

Anyone notice any picture and sound hick-ups on WTVR-DT,WRLH-DT,WRIC-DT and WCVE-DT? I see it mostley on WTVR-DT but on the others to.
post #566 of 8856 Old 10-22-2004, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is anyone having problems with FOX the last couple of nites? Trying to catch some of the baseball games has been very frustrating. This just stated about 2 days ago. Before that I was getting a very stable picture. My Voom box now is having a hard time locking in on this station and when it does I was getting lots of dropouts and lost of signal. Is FOX broadcasting at a higher power than the other locals? The reason I ask is if no else is seeing this I was thinking I may be getting too strong of a signal. I have a 8 bay antennna on the roof with a Channel Master preamp and I get a constant 99 on all other stations. Is it possible to get too strong of a signal? If so should I install an attenuator to lower the input?
Thanks,
Barry
post #567 of 8856 Old 10-22-2004, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Barry-
I've watched all the games on Fox HD for the last couple of nights and the signal has been basically problem free.

You may be getting some multipath issues, which can be magnified at this time of year by wind and falling leaves. Try it without the amp and see how it goes.

Steve
post #568 of 8856 Old 10-22-2004, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks Steve,
I tried unpluging the power to the pre-amp but I lost all stations then. I assume to use without the amp I would have to remove the pre-amp from the mast. I don't really want to take a trip on the roof.
Thanks,
Barry
post #569 of 8856 Old 10-22-2004, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blb1215
...... Is it possible to get too strong of a signal? If so should I install an attenuator to lower the input?
Thanks,
Barry

Barry,

I have a square shooter in the attic and a Radio Shack amp that I can dial up or down up to 20db gain. I found I had 92-96% on all stations with some dropouts and then back up to the 90s with the amp at nearly full strength. I lowered the gain to less than half (10db) and now although my signal strengths have gone down to low-mid 80s, I get no droppouts and quicker channel locks.

I think in my situation, I did have over amplification, and dialing it down helped a lot.

Sam
post #570 of 8856 Old 10-22-2004, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by oakenshld
Barry,

I have a square shooter in the attic and a Radio Shack amp that I can dial up or down up to 20db gain. I found I had 92-96% on all stations with some dropouts and then back up to the 90s with the amp at nearly full strength. I lowered the gain to less than half (10db) and now although my signal strengths have gone down to low-mid 80s, I get no droppouts and quicker channel locks.

I think in my situation, I did have over amplification, and dialing it down helped a lot.

Sam

What kind of RS amp that you are using ? I am looking for the one that I could adjust up or down , right now I am using motorolla but it does not have that feature.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page