post #631 of 8857 Old 11-08-2004, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by sdf777
I recorded Boston Legal on WRIC Sunday night because WVEC in Norfolk was coming in weak. The show did not return in HD after the last commercial break at 10:45. As WVEC is my weakest Norfolk station, I'm considering making WRIC my ABC affilaite of choice for all Tivo season passes. My qusetion is this, does WRIC reliably broadcast in HD or is Sunday's problem with them common? Thanks.

Yes, WRIC is very reliable. When they do have problems Darrell is usually right on top of them, and also reports them here.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8857 Old 11-08-2004, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mpark
Please let me know how it goes because I will probably be doing something similiar this weekend. I currently have an amp in place too.

Michael,

OK. It looks like it is solved. I went to Radio Shack at lunch and bought an in-line antenna.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1170

I was just hedging my bets that a completely unamplified system over 100+ ft would be too weak. I was right, but barely. Unamplified I was getting all stations exept 23 (42) that was around 55-62% and experiencing dropouts.

I hooked up the inline amp to the short run of cable from the antenna on the roof that was inside the attic, and because I dont have a DC pass on the ANT side of my diplexer, I hooked up the power inserter right after it to carry it down the line before the 1st diplexer. (I will go back to RS to get a diplexer that carries DC through the ANT side this week, and put the power inserter at the TV where it is supposed to be...maybe even better results!).

Anyway. Now I am getting all stations at 83-93% with no dropouts so far (1 hour 21 min) although it takes 54 and 22 about 10 seconds to 'catch', but after that its smooth sailin'. So that seems to have been the problem...a little too much amplifications and possibly too much noise.

Let me know how your ordeal goes.

Oak
post #633 of 8857 Old 11-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oakenshld
Michael,

OK. It looks like it is solved. I went to Radio Shack at lunch and bought an in-line antenna.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1170

I was just hedging my bets that a completely unamplified system over 100+ ft would be too weak. I was right, but barely. Unamplified I was getting all stations exept 23 (42) that was around 55-62% and experiencing dropouts.

I hooked up the inline amp to the short run of cable from the antenna on the roof that was inside the attic, and because I dont have a DC pass on the ANT side of my diplexer, I hooked up the power inserter right after it to carry it down the line before the 1st diplexer. (I will go back to RS to get a diplexer that carries DC through the ANT side this week, and put the power inserter at the TV where it is supposed to be...maybe even better results!).

Anyway. Now I am getting all stations at 83-93% with no dropouts so far (1 hour 21 min) although it takes 54 and 22 about 10 seconds to 'catch', but after that its smooth sailin'. So that seems to have been the problem...a little too much amplifications and possibly too much noise.

Let me know how your ordeal goes.

Oak

Great. I'll keep you posted. I won't get to it till this weekend.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #634 of 8857 Old 11-08-2004, 06:13 PM
ats

Quote:
Originally posted by oakenshld
OK. I took the plunge and mounted my SS1000 on the roof this weekend. The neighbors thought I was sending my daughter up the ladder with all the high pitched screeming I was doing...but I digress.
Oakenshld

Reminds me of an install I did several years back. (pre-HD) I had a customer who lived in Mathews County near Bavon. He had a beautiful 3 story home right on the Bay. His home took a lightning strike through the electrical system taking out his TV, satellite system, phones and of course, his antenna. His antenna was chimney mounted with an extremely high pitched roof (a good 70' drop)and there was no way you could walk it. I could reach the roof by ladder from his deck. I managed to hook another ladder, with a stabilizer bar attached, over the peak. I looked over at my business partner, who was slowly backing up, nodding his head and saying "no way, not me". Normally working on a roof does not bother me, but this day the wind was a steady 20-25 miles per hour, with gust over 40. I'm going up the second ladder, holding on with one hand for dear life, with a pre assembled 10' antenna in the other hand. I somehow managed to remove the old antenna, mount the new one without dropping either antenna, any tools or myself. That's one install I will never forget
post #635 of 8857 Old 11-08-2004, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I recorded Boston Legal on WRIC Sunday night because WVEC in Norfolk was coming in weak. The show did not return in HD after the last commercial break at 10:45. As WVEC is my weakest Norfolk station, I'm considering making WRIC my ABC affilaite of choice for all Tivo season passes. My qusetion is this, does WRIC reliably broadcast in HD or is Sunday's problem with them common? Thanks.

I notice audio clicks when returning to HD from commercial on WRIC. Is the return to HD and DD5.1 manually or automatically switched? thx

Steve
post #636 of 8857 Old 11-08-2004, 06:27 PM
ats

Steve,

Check out this post by Darrell Cheney with WRIC.

Quote:
Originally posted by dcheney
You guys had every right to be ticked off on Saturday. I wasnt home most of the night and when I did get home and turn on the HD I found it also not in HD but by that time we were already in Desperate Housewives. I already have the operator working on an explanation of why this was left this way for so long. There was no excuse. I do have the switching automatic but they have to select the correct feed in order to autoswitch the HD feed. When they select the wrong net feed it leaves all in upconvert. The popping audio at switch points I am already aware of and working on a resolution. It is the Dolby 5.1 encoder that is having to auto determine the mode it must be in when the switch happens. I am working on a remote mode switching setup to do this with the switcher so bear with me please. Also folks we were down for about an hour and a half today due to an encoding multiplexing problem but it is up now.

Darrell Cheney
WRIC TV

post #637 of 8857 Old 11-08-2004, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I guess the question then is when do they have to manually switch between feeds?

Steve
post #638 of 8857 Old 11-08-2004, 08:37 PM

Is anyone else experiencing wierdness with WWBT-HD? I haven't been able to get a picture on 12-1, 12-2, or 12-3 with my HDTiVo tonight. The signal strength for UHF 54 was 90+, so I dod a rescan. The tuner picked them up as 54-2, 54-3, and 54-4. Obviously, DirecTV doesn't have program guide data associated with these channel mappings. Has something changed at the station recently?
post #639 of 8857 Old 11-08-2004, 08:59 PM

Couple quick questions about wwbt broadcasts...

1) Is the Conan O'brien show supposed to be in HD? I assumed that it was not, but the other night I happened to catch a glimpse of one camera guy filming another camera guy, and it clearly had hd on the side of the camera.

2) Any reason why the wb shows like smallville that are broadcast on sat night arent in hd? I know that it is an hd show, why isnt wwbt broadcasting it in hd?

Any info is appreciated
post #640 of 8857 Old 11-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elroy_1666
Is anyone else experiencing wierdness with WWBT-HD? I haven't been able to get a picture on 12-1, 12-2, or 12-3 with my HDTiVo tonight. The signal strength for UHF 54 was 90+, so I dod a rescan. The tuner picked them up as 54-2, 54-3, and 54-4. Obviously, DirecTV doesn't have program guide data associated with these channel mappings. Has something changed at the station recently?

Nothing has changed on our end.

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #641 of 8857 Old 11-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dvdsupreme
Couple quick questions about wwbt broadcasts...

1) Is the Conan O'brien show supposed to be in HD? I assumed that it was not, but the other night I happened to catch a glimpse of one camera guy filming another camera guy, and it clearly had hd on the side of the camera.

2) Any reason why the wb shows like smallville that are broadcast on sat night arent in hd? I know that it is an hd show, why isnt wwbt broadcasting it in hd?

Any info is appreciated

Conan is not an HD program. Don't know what to tell you about the HD on the camera. It could be an HD lens which can switched to 4:3 as well.

As for the WB, we do not have a HD receiver from WB. I do not know of any plans for us to get one.

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #642 of 8857 Old 11-09-2004, 05:08 AM

Quote:

I do not have 12-1 on HDTIVO either, it could be the new software 3.1.5d, mine has 3.1.5e on it, which supposed to be a patch to fix certain OTA reception problems.

Anyone else has problem with 12-1 ? It's 7:07 AM 11-9-2004.
post #643 of 8857 Old 11-09-2004, 05:29 AM

I was seeing a problem with WWBT last night on one of my receivers (Toshiba 3000). 12-3 and 12-1 were swapped.

My HiPix computer card was picking it up and recording it right. Maybe something different in the PSIP data?

Rod319
post #644 of 8857 Old 11-09-2004, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docchak
I do not have 12-1 on HDTIVO either, it could be the new software 3.1.5d, mine has 3.1.5e on it, which supposed to be a patch to fix certain OTA reception problems.

Yes, I am running 3.1.5e as well - it came down this weekend while I was out of town. I TiVo'ed 12-1 Saturday night fine, although I can't remmeber if 12-1,2,3 were working Sunday night or not. Not sure if the TiVo rebooted to the new code before or after Smallville. There sould be a way to check uptime on this thing. Something is definitely wrong somewhere for sure.

Who else is having this issue? No offense, but I hope it's everyone with a HDTiVo on 3.1.5e code.
post #645 of 8857 Old 11-09-2004, 06:03 AM

I'm having the same problems with wwbt. I noticed it last night when I went to watch Las Vegas and it had recorded nothing but a black screen.

I also have the hdtivo with the E update.... And my smallville was fine on sat night as well.
post #646 of 8857 Old 11-09-2004, 06:43 AM

Quote:

I have experienced the same thing with my Dish Network 811 box as of late yesterday. My guide is now showing 54-1,2 and 3 instead of the usual 12-1,2 and 3. I rescanned after I saw that and got the same thing. The odd thing is that now what used to be on 12-1 is now showing up for me on 54-3 and 12-3 is showing up on 54-1, 12-2 and 54-2 are the same.

oak
post #647 of 8857 Old 11-09-2004, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, my HDTivo got the upgrade to 3.1.5e early this morning and now 12-1,2 and 3 show the "searching for signal" message. I did a scan of off air channels and it found 54-2, 54-3 and 54-4, which come in just fine.

So, obviously something changed somewhere that is screwing up the ability to map 54 to 12. Just when it seems like all is well with HD in Richmond........... Sigh..

Steve
post #648 of 8857 Old 11-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

We did have a corrupted file in our PSIP. It should be fixed now please do a re-scan and please let me know if works. Sorry for the problem.

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #649 of 8857 Old 11-09-2004, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Michael-
Yep, 12-1, 2 and 3 are now back.

Thanks!

Steve
post #650 of 8857 Old 11-09-2004, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I recorded Boston Legal on WRIC Sunday night ... The show did not return in HD after the last commercial break at 10:45....

If as stated earlier, that once the HD feed is manually chosen, how is it possible for the automatic system to revert to SD after a commercial break. Since I had also recorded WVEC, I know that the national feed remained HD. thanks.

Steve
post #651 of 8857 Old 11-10-2004, 09:44 PM

sdf,
The switching is automatic to a point. The operator has two options for the network feed. One is the normal ABC feed (upconversion) and the other is for ABC HD. The router is controlled by the master control switcher via talley controls. The operator has to switch to the HD ABC feed in order for the automatics to operate correctly. In the past they had to manually reach over and select the router input to the HD transmitter while also switching the analog channel hence the delayed switch and non switch alltogether. The errors have reduced quite a bit but there are still errors at times. Since the operators are in my department I have to take the blame for their mistakes and I do so with my apologies. I have worked to make this as fullproof as possible but it is not perfect.
I need to know if folks are losing the 8-1 and 8-2 off air feeds. I am trying to track down what I think is a multiplexer problem but I need your help. It happens intermittently and is hard to catch at the station since our receiver does not get effected by the glitch only consumer grades receivers. So please let me know asap if you see it happen. Thank you.

Darrell Cheney
Chief Engineer
WRIC TV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #652 of 8857 Old 11-11-2004, 06:36 AM

Darrell,

First, I think that WRIC has the best upconversion in Richmond right now for their SD, and I love the 720P on HD as I have a native 720p set and I think it looks the best around.

On your comment about loosing the signal. I get WRIC the strongest of all my signals, about 92-94%. A few times in the last week and again last night about 3 times this happened.

The picture would go blank for less than a second (I mean like instantly off and back on). I know that it dropped the channel for those very brief moments because my signal strength indicator would pop on again right after that. This is my STB's way of showing it has locked on again.

I had assumed it to be my STB (so many little electronic things going on and all). But my wife commented to me "Why does 8 do that?" She told me that the station dropping breifly did'nt bother her, but the fact that my STB puts up the signal strength meter and blocks the picture for another 5 seconds does.

Is this something like you are talking about? Again, it may be my STB after all.

Thanks again for helping make Richmond DTV enjoyable.

Oak
post #653 of 8857 Old 11-11-2004, 07:37 AM

What we have been seeing happen with the HD signal is that the psip table somehow gets changed to a point that commercial receivers lose their lock until I power reset the multiplexer. The encoder problem we had was that the video stream only on the HD 8-1 channel would drop off but the audio stream would still be there. We traced it back to the main HD encoder and arranged for a loaner to be shipped in and that is what we are on at this time. I have a loaner multiplexer but when we first put it in we were still have issues which I think now was the encoder so I will probably go ahead and put this loaner multiplexer in today or tomorrow and see how it performs.

As a sidenote folks, the plan to air "Saving Private Ryan" has been cancelled by our corporate office who decided last night around 7pm that they were not going to have the 6 stations who are ABC affiliates air the movie when the FCC cannot make a definitive response to what will happen to the stations if they aired it. Corporate does not want to open that door and possibly hefty fines from the FCC. It would have been a nice movie to watch in HD but it will not be on here in Richmond.

Darrell Cheney
Chief Engineer
WRIC TV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #654 of 8857 Old 11-11-2004, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Darrell,

Thanks for the info. While I realize canceling SPR was a last-minute corporate decision, I think it stinks. I absolutely positively cannot imagine the FCC fining stations for airing a WWII movie in prime-time on Veterans Day because of realistic language and violence.
post #655 of 8857 Old 11-11-2004, 09:12 AM

I was looking forward to recording the 1st 30-40 minutes for some good HD Demo material (along with the DD5.1 sound).

Rod319
post #656 of 8857 Old 11-11-2004, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I have decided that I need a rooftop antenna. Both a Silver Sensor and the RS indoor antenna I have tried just won't lock reliably enough on all the local channels. While I have cable HD, I don't expect to see the CBS and Fox stations added any time in the near to intermediate future so need reliable OTA reception. My TV is a 2002 Mitsubishi RPTV with a builit-in HD OTA receiver. It does not have signal strength metering.

I live in Goochland, near the J Sargent Reynolds campus. I have checked the usual antenna internet spots but the answers there are not specific enough for me.

I have four questions that I am looking for help on:

1. What outdoor antennas are people finding effective in this area? I would like to also receive Charlottesville stations (can get the HD signal now from the NBC affiliate on an indoor antenna but not reliably) and will probably add a rotator to the antenna.

2. Do you think I will need an amplifier?

3. Can anyone recommend an installer? I am too short on skills to do the install myself. You can PM me on this last question, if you don't want to be seen as endorsing anyone.

4. What should a good antenna, rotator and maybe amplifier cost me, installation included around here?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

post #657 of 8857 Old 11-11-2004, 02:03 PM

Just noticed WCVW - DT (44.1) is back on the air.

mpark, you guys sure you found all the corrupt psip files? I am still geting 54.2-54.4 on the integrated tuner of my Mits. It was previously mapping to 12.1-12.3 before everyone else started noticing the psip problem. I have seen some of the replies from others saying it was fixed
post #658 of 8857 Old 11-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by brcobb
mpark, you guys sure you found all the corrupt psip files? I am still geting 54.2-54.4 on the integrated tuner of my Mits. It was previously mapping to 12.1-12.3 before everyone else started noticing the psip problem. I have seen some of the replies from others saying it was fixed

I just looked at it and it seems fine. I even did a remap on a Samsung set with a built-in tuner and it worked fine. Have you tried to rescan?

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #659 of 8857 Old 11-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dcheney
As a sidenote folks, the plan to air "Saving Private Ryan" has been cancelled by our corporate office who decided last night around 7pm that they were not going to have the 6 stations who are ABC affiliates air the movie when the FCC cannot make a definitive response to what will happen to the stations if they aired it. Corporate does not want to open that door and possibly hefty fines from the FCC. It would have been a nice movie to watch in HD but it will not be on here in Richmond.

Darrell Cheney
Chief Engineer
WRIC TV

If you guys don't like Young Broadcastings decision please contact the FCC for not giving good guidance to TV stations on this matter. This is a tough call for any TV station under the post Janet Jackson episode. BTW, SPR has aired twice before the whole Janet Jackson deal and the FCC didn't say a word. They are basically telling stations we don't know how we are going to react till after you air it and it depends on how many complaints are filed. They have increased fines significantly per incident and the F-word is said over 40 times in SPR. It's also on everyone's radar because of all the press.
I think the FCC should at least be able to bring clarity to this before it airs. They know what's in it and can view it ahead of time.

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #660 of 8857 Old 11-11-2004, 02:47 PM

I also think it stinks that SPR will not air on WRIC tonight. There are shows that are just as bad that air every night on prime time TV and never get censored. What a joke.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page