Richmond, VA - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 8855 Old 11-26-2004, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My antenna ia in the attic, I'm in Hopewell, I think you are in Chester?? Must be my problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8855 Old 11-27-2004, 03:14 PM

Well, I got the D* all installed (it took 6 hours!) and I ended up with the RCA box, which I think is better than Samsung but I'll have to check out the right threads to confirm.

One weird issue I'm having is with the add-on HD antenna. I am getting ABC and Fox great, CBS is pretty good (a lot of drops during the Georgia game--might be weather related), and PBS and UPN fine. NBC, however, is nothing. I'm getting the standard off-air channel, but the scan isn't pulling anything down for the DT one.

Do I need a different antenna or is NBC possibly down right now?
post #723 of 8855 Old 11-27-2004, 03:29 PM

NBC 12-1 has their own antenna, I belived it's about 10 degree off the rest check antennaweb.org to check the exact direction from your location.
post #724 of 8855 Old 11-27-2004, 03:31 PM

CBS 6-1 comes in very strong today (GA/GAtech game), no pixellation, yesterday was really bad from my end, must be the wind.
post #725 of 8855 Old 11-27-2004, 08:07 PM

So is it possible for me to connect another off-air antenna via a splitter or something so I can also get NBC? The D* antenna is fixed to the dish, so I can't adjust it easily when flipping around.
post #726 of 8855 Old 11-28-2004, 06:14 AM

Of course, I have 2 antennae, one points to hampton road the other points to richmond combine the signal and have the best of both world. However, I do not think you need 2 antennae if you want richmond only. They should come in fine with one 'big and tall' antenna , you just going to have to turn if around few degree at atime. Check antennaweb.org.

Good luck
post #727 of 8855 Old 11-28-2004, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by docchak
Of course, I have 2 antennae, one points to hampton road the other points to richmond combine the signal and have the best of both world.

Docchak,

Did you have any luck pulling-in DC stations?
post #728 of 8855 Old 11-28-2004, 06:38 AM

No, not where I am,,,Hopewell, on a good day I might get South Carolina PBS, but it's not reliable, Hampton rd is only 50 miles east from hopewell, it's possible, but DC is 110 miles out , actaually , I have not eventried.
post #729 of 8855 Old 11-28-2004, 10:08 AM

2nd straight week WRLH has started 1pm football game in 4:3...come on guys, you've done great for the past couple of months, don't fall asleep on me now!
post #730 of 8855 Old 12-01-2004, 02:47 PM

is fox off the air tonight. i get a strong signal but no picture.
post #731 of 8855 Old 12-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

This thread sure has been quiet lately.

Good news for you Comcast subs - the new dual-tuner HD DVR boxes are now available! These may have been available on Southside already, but I believe this is new to north of the Rivah.

I got tipped off from a co-worker and just got back from the Comcast office on Staples Mill Rd. They swapped out my single tuner for a dual tuner with no hassles. I just put my box, remote and power cord on the counter and told them I'd like to exchange it for one of the new dual tuner boxes. He didn't hesitate and brought out a new one and handed it to me.

It's also a Motorola box and looks the same as the old. In addition to the 2 tuners and larger capacity, I also understand it has updated software and a better guide/menu system. And, unlike satellite Tivo, you only need to run 1 cable line to it.

Having two tuners dramatically enhances the functionality of a DVR. Those using the single tuner box or considering a DVR box in general - Comcast now seems to have a compelling reason to try it out.

I'll test it out this weekend and report my observations back here.
post #732 of 8855 Old 12-03-2004, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, thanks for the tip. I'll be picking one up tomorrow. Meanwhile I'd be interested in any feedback on the new DVR.
post #733 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 04:43 AM

Is there an additional charge from Comcast for the DVR, I do not remember?
post #734 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, there is an extra charge. It's $5.00 a month (I think).

Steve
post #735 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 06:07 AM

Thanks Steve.
post #736 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Make that $9.95 per month for the DVR. Compared to a grand up front for an HD Tivo, it's a bargain.

I traded in my noisy and jerky Motorola 6208 80-gig single-tuner model for a near-silent 6412 120-gig dual-tuner model yesterday.

No difference in PQ, no difference in the monthly bill, but now the wife can watch HGTV while I'm recording football and harmony reigns.

Speaking of Harmony, it was a snap to program my 688 remote for 30-second skip and the swap function needed for the dual-tuner model.

The most noticeable difference is the improved iGuide. It looks and works much better than before.

HD and digital PQ is excellent over DVI, but analog still sucks unless I split the cable and use the NTSC tuner in my Sammy HLP5063W.

The Moto boxes do a less-than-stellar job of deinterlacing and scaling, and they don't have a native mode that passes through 1080i, 720p and 480i. My set is native 720p, but it has a better scaler and PQ is improved by leaving the DVR output at 1080i and letting the set do the conversion. About the only time I switch is for Monday NightFootball, when I change the box to output virgin 720p.

The bad news is that Comcast just notified me they were jacking up my bill by $10, breaking a promise to former ATT customers who were grandfathered at lower rates.

I'm not happy about that. But we're addicted to broadband, and until Voom gets a DVR as good as this one I'll wait impatiently for Comcast to add some real HD content. It's absurd that we still have to go OTA for Fox and CBS and lack many of the other HD networks Comcast subscribers elsewhere are enjoying.
post #737 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 05:16 PM

The Redskins game was in SD today, to my surprise ESPN prime time showed the highlight ,lo and be hold, the skins-giants highlight was in HD. I hope that this is not a pattern to come. I wonder is this a problem locally? Or it is determined high up when to televise in SD or HD?
post #738 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought the picture quality looked HD, but obviously it was shown in 4:3. Not sure what happened.

If the networks televise it in HD, the locals should be showing the HD feed (in the correct aspect ratio).

Steve
post #739 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 05:25 PM

No, it's definitely SD 4:3.

I recalled awhile back there is an WRLH engineer signed on to this forum, wondered what happened to him?
post #740 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I had it in HD on D* and switched to WRLH to see if the sync between the radio and TV was better and it was in SD all day.

Not only that, they started the Skins game late. Is it a custom in the Richmond area to finish the earlier game and then join the Skins in progress? I moved from the DC area at the end of the summer and I'm used to the Skins game having precedence over any game in progress which is how D* presents the game as well. I was hoping to save a few hundred dollars next year, but if WRLH joins the games late and doesn't show HD, I may have to suck it up and pay for the Sunday Ticket next year as well.
post #741 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 06:04 PM

The Skins game was definiitely broadcast in HD by Fox today. I'm not sure what happened with Fox 35. Fortunatley, I am right in between Richmond and D.C. so I was able to see it in HD on Fox 5 from D.C. I usually check both to see which is providing the better PQ.
post #742 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 07:23 PM

Aliens:

If you live in Richmond area, the skins games should be blackout by rule on D*, It's just happened this year, if FOX 35 , showed it locally, then you won't have the skins game on Sunday ticket. No more Sunday ticket for me next year.
post #743 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 08:14 PM

I was watching Fox HD OTA this afternoon starting with the Falcons game. The game was in HD until the start of the 4th quarter when it suddenly switched to SD during a play. I checked it a few times to see if it switched back, but it never did and I guess it never did during the Skins game either. Perhaps something at the station needed to be reset and it wasn't noticed or no one was around to fix it. Either way, very disappointing. Their upconvert SD signal is still nice looking, but if the HD feed is out there, we should be getting it.
post #744 of 8855 Old 12-05-2004, 10:05 PM

Ya know I could be wrong, but I think WRLH has cut their power back as well. When they first came on the air I got them more consistently on my indoor antenna then any of the other locals, now they seem to be the most robust. And I definitely agree with the masses that if the game is available in HD, then we should be seeing it in HD! This is the 3rd straight week they've had some sort of problem. These things happen yes, but its becoming a bit of a trend.
post #745 of 8855 Old 12-06-2004, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:

Originally posted by docchak
Aliens:

If you live in Richmond area, the skins games should be blackout by rule on D*, It's just happened this year, if FOX 35 , showed it locally, then you won't have the skins game on Sunday ticket. No more Sunday ticket for me next year.

I live just northwest of Charlottesville, so I'm fortunate to be out of the blackout area and can get ST.

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisInRichmond
This is the 3rd straight week they've had some sort of problem. These things happen yes, but its becoming a bit of a trend.

Not good news and not good news for my wallet. I might have to get the ST one more year until they can get the bugs worked out. I hope they can get their current problems straightened out before the 49er game because for some strange reason it is a 5PM game and isn't in HD on the ST. Like docchak said, where did that FOX engineer go?

EDIT: I see that 5PM start time is a Saturday game.
post #746 of 8855 Old 12-06-2004, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisInRichmond
Ya know I could be wrong, but I think WRLH has cut their power back as well. When they first came on the air I got them more consistently on my indoor antenna then any of the other locals, now they seem to be the most robust. And I definitely agree with the masses that if the game is available in HD, then we should be seeing it in HD! This is the 3rd straight week they've had some sort of problem. These things happen yes, but its becoming a bit of a trend.

I didn't watch much football yesterday, but I did also notice that the Falcons game was in HD when I turned it on briefly, so something went wrong somewhere.

For those of you who are watching, you can call the station if you see a problem. Sometimes on the weekends it's tough to get a live operator, but if you can get transferred to the news dept. there is almost always a person there. Then, just ask them to transfer you to master control and you'll usually get whoever is manning the control board.

They usually aren't thrilled to talk to you, but they will usually fix the problem if the can. Lot's of times they don't even realize something is wrong.

Steve
post #747 of 8855 Old 12-06-2004, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by wittangamo
Make that $9.95 per month for the DVR. Compared to a grand up front for an HD Tivo, it's a bargain...

... The bad news is that Comcast just notified me they were jacking up my bill by $10...

... It's absurd that we still have to go OTA for Fox and CBS and lack many of the other HD networks Comcast subscribers elsewhere are enjoying...

I feel for you... So, you're now paying an extra $19.95 a month. Multiply that by 3 years (a conservative number) and you get $718.20. That's not too far from a "grand" and that HD TiVo box has four tuners (2 sat, 2 OTA) all integrated...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #748 of 8855 Old 12-06-2004, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

It was available on Directv in HD but was blacked out in our market becuase WRLH was airing it.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #749 of 8855 Old 12-06-2004, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The WRLH signal is still strong and steady on North Side. The sudden switch from HD to SD in the Falcons game suggests a technical problem that wasn't fixed in time for the Skins game.

My main problem with Fox NFL is the PQ. They use too much edge enhancement and something they are doing causes the lines on the field to break up and shimmer in long shots. That's not a local problem, though, I've seen people from other parts of the country complaining about it in the programming forum.

I watched "Five People You Meet in Heaven" on WRIC last night. It was a very crisp SD broadcast with 5.1 sound. But the audio "pop" was still very evident when switching from stereo to 5.1, and some of the local commercials were WAY TOO LOUD by comparison to the show and network spots.

VARTV,

Math was never my best subject, but I do OK at logic. The Comcast DVR costs $9.95 per month, period. At that rate I have more than eight years to go before I've spent what an HD Tivo costs.

If the box I'm leasing breaks or becomes outdated, it will be replaced free. The HD Tivo is nice, but too expensive for my tastes.

I'm watching my options, and as soon as I see another provider with the right combination of HD content and hardware at a better price, I'm there. Comcast no longer deserves my loyalty, but I'm not into change just for the sake of change.

If Voom had a good DVR, I'd subscribe today and swap my cable modem for DSL.
post #750 of 8855 Old 12-06-2004, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Speaking of Comcast, are you guys aware that they offer a package for $59.95 that includes cable modem AND digital cable?? No premium channels, HD or DVR, but you get one digital cable box in the deal. I think you have to buy your own cable modem at that price. WHen I got it they offered HBO free for the first three months, too.

It's something they don't advertise, but if you call and ask for it you can get it. They call it the Internet/Digital Cable combo package.

Steve
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page