Richmond, VA - HDTV - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 8855 Old 12-19-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally, after three calls, WTVR switched to HD for the second half of the Chiefs-Broncos game.

WRLH still asleep, but then so are the Cowboys and the Eagles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8855 Old 12-19-2004, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, now WRLH is HD, but audio and video are cutting in and out. Don't you just love being an HDTV early adopter?
post #813 of 8855 Old 12-19-2004, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wittangamo
Finally, after three calls, WTVR switched to HD for the second half of the Chiefs-Broncos game.

WRLH still asleep, but then so are the Cowboys and the Eagles.

I keep hearing people say "flip the switch, etc" and I have noticed that sometimes shows switch from HD to SD and vice versa...
Is there really someone that has to manually turn this stuff on? What is the logic there?
post #814 of 8855 Old 12-19-2004, 11:57 AM

From what I gathered ,yup, you still need a person to flip that switch.
post #815 of 8855 Old 12-19-2004, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3:12 pm.

I'm getting HD on 6-1. I'm also getting Fox HD although I had to do a re-scan on my HDTivo and it shows up as 26-2.

Steve
post #816 of 8855 Old 12-19-2004, 12:20 PM

HD on 6-1 and 26-1 here. Audio dropouts seemed to have decreased over the past 20 minutes.
post #817 of 8855 Old 12-19-2004, 04:09 PM

I have a Zenith HDV420 OTA receiver. I have not been able to use closed caption with the Richmond stations most of the time. Whin I got the receiver I could tern it on with WRIC and have CC on WWBT and WTVR.
Then about a month ago I had CC on WTVR sometime. Today I get CC on WRLH.
I have always been able to use CC on The Norfolk stations. When they come in. Dos any one else have this problem.
post #818 of 8855 Old 12-20-2004, 09:58 AM

This problem was caused by a PSIP server crash... all better now
post #819 of 8855 Old 12-20-2004, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SpaceBassVA
I keep hearing people say "flip the switch, etc" and I have noticed that sometimes shows switch from HD to SD and vice versa...
Is there really someone that has to manually turn this stuff on? What is the logic there?

In our case, at least, there is a manual switch to go between two different logic paths.
post #820 of 8855 Old 12-20-2004, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by crouse
In our case, at least, there is a manual switch to go between two different logic paths.

Thanks for the info!
sounds like that is one valualbe (to us at least) employee!
Is there not a way to automate that?
if signal =HD path a
if signal !=HD path b
Realizing I dont know ANYTHING about what goes on behind the scenes.... Im really just curious.

-N
post #821 of 8855 Old 12-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Darrell from WRIC, you still out there?

I was hoping you would confirm that you have every intention of showing the Sugar Bowl in HD. I'm having several fellow VT Alumni over to root on our beloved Hokies, and I am choosing this event to debut my newly constructed media room. Many of them have never seen any HD in a home setting, much less a live HD sporting event that will really knock your socks off. ABC HD Football can look spectacular, and I would just feel better knowing it is all a go at this point.
Thanks.
post #822 of 8855 Old 12-20-2004, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Keller,
I'm not Darrell, but the below blurb from ABC's web site tells me, barring some unforeseen technical problem at WRIC-DT on Jan. 3, you can bank on the Hokies being in HD that day.

"ABC's broadcast in HDTV also includes the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on Saturday, Jan.1 at 8:30 p.m., ET and Nokia Sugar Bowl on Monday, Jan.3, at 8:00 p.m. ET. "
post #823 of 8855 Old 12-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, thanks, I know ABC is scheduled to carry it in HD. I just wanted to hear it directly from my local affiliate. ...and maybe point out that with all the local interest, Jan 3rd would be a very bad time to forget to "flip the switch". Maybe put in your A-Team switch flipper or something...
post #824 of 8855 Old 12-21-2004, 06:27 AM

Anyone else having trouble with the FOX digital signal? I normally get it 100% on my D* RCA receiver, but on Sunday it was stuttering all over the place. Now, I'm getting 0 signal strength. I saw that it remapped to a different channel for some folks, so last night I rescanned and got nothing. It seems odd that I'd go from 100% rock-solid reception to nothing. Any ideas?
post #825 of 8855 Old 12-21-2004, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just wanted to hear it directly from my local affiliate. ...and maybe point out that with all the local interest, Jan 3rd would be a very bad time to forget to "flip the switch". Maybe put in your A-Team switch flipper or something...

I hear you, Keller, and, if it would be the Nittany Lions, I would want assurance from Darrell in writing if he's the only source.

Quote:
Anyone else having trouble with the FOX digital signal?

We're getting 35.1 at about 95+ loud and clear here in the Shenandoah Valley.
post #826 of 8855 Old 12-21-2004, 07:20 AM

Does anyone know if Comcast plans to start carrying ESPN 2 HD when they begin broadcasting in January? Sorry if this has been discussed already. I've been off the boards for a few months now and haven't had time to read through all I missed.

Thanks,
Brian
post #827 of 8855 Old 12-21-2004, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I watch WRIC as back-up since my WVEC in Norfolk is weak. I've noticed a regular problem with WRIC that many times the signal will go SD after a commercial break, only to resume in HD usually after the next. This happened again Sunday night for the last segment of Desp Housewives. The following show, Boston Legal went SD during the middle of the last segment. WVEC had both shows in HD the entire time. Has anyone addressed this problem? Thanks.

Steve
post #828 of 8855 Old 12-21-2004, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wittangamo
theroys88, best I can do is point you to the TV repair FAQ here: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/tvfaq.htm

Just noticed that Comcast has launched HDTV On Demand in Richmond. Not much there right now, Envy and The Passion of The Christ for $5.99 each, plus assorted shorts and Discovery HD repeats for free.

But check out Keith Richard and Nora Jones singing a duet on "Love Hurts" in the inHD Video JukeBox.

Go to On Demand and scroll down to the bottom to find it. Hopefully it'll expand into something worthwhile.

Did this go away or is this a "South of the River" thing?? I don't see it up north here.

Ditto on the ESPN2HD question - I just heard about that today and wondered if the ESPN agreement with Comcast would lead to them to carry it. Looks like lots of ACC hoops planned there!

David
post #829 of 8855 Old 12-22-2004, 04:50 AM

The HD on Demand is available North of the River, as I am in the city and have access to it. I don't think I had it until I swapped out my digital cable box for the new one with the new interface and dual tuners (and bigger hard drive for the dvr!)

The new interface takes some getting used to, but it has a few more features that make it worth the effort.

If you are interested, just take your old cable box down and tell them you want the new one. No questions asked.

Tom
post #830 of 8855 Old 12-22-2004, 11:36 AM

Just out of curiousity, if one lives on the southside and they drive to the staples mill Comcast office, can they get the motorola box instead of the SA box? It sounds silly to me, but a friend of mine asked me that question the other day and I didnt have a definitive answer for him so I thought I'd try here.
post #831 of 8855 Old 12-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

HEADS UP!!! Next Tuesday Morning December 28th, NBC12 DT will be modifying our PSIP tables. The FCC is requiring us to change our Packet Identifier (PID) by the 1st of the year. BTW, All TV stations are being required to do this. You may be required to do a rescan if your receiver doesn't pick WWBT DT up after this happens.
I wanted to give you guys a heads up. I'll be out of town when this is going on but will be monitoring the forum. Have a Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #832 of 8855 Old 12-22-2004, 01:55 PM

Just checking in from way out in the boondocks to the northwest (Bridgewater, Va., 38.3841N 79.0322W, elevation 1192). With a ChannelMaster 4248 and 7777 preamp mounted on a two-story mast, I get

FOX-35

strongly all the time, totally watchable. And everything else is at least occasionally unreliable to some degree. In order, the other commercial signals are

WWBT-DT 12-1 through 12-3 * good almost all the time
WRIC-DT 8-1 and 8-2 (love that ABC News Now!) * good about 75 percent of the time
WTRV-DT * 6-1 rarely watchable

. . . and my question is this: Is FOX-35 so good way out here because it has newer technology, having upgraded equipment and power more recently? And could I expect the other stations to get better and perhaps match it over time as they upgrade equipment and power? Or, do you think those other signals are already about as good as it gets?

(In this part of the state with big combination antennas, it's been common to get watchable analog signals on 6, 8, 12, 35 and 65. But I suppose that's with fairly undemanding standards for what's "watchable.")

Thanks in advance. And yes, I know Richmond is a stretch from out here. But somehow FOX-35 overcame that stretch!

willie
post #833 of 8855 Old 12-22-2004, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. . . and my question is this: Is FOX-35 so good way out here because it has newer technology, having upgraded equipment and power more recently? And could I expect the other stations to get better and perhaps match it over time as they upgrade equipment and power? Or, do you think those other signals are already about as good as it gets?

Pending knowledgeable answers to Willie's questions, I have some thoughts:
1. It may be a function of antenna power &, to a lesser extent, height. For example, 35.1 does 800 Kw, 12.1 - 860 Kw, and 8.1 & 6.1 - both a little above 400Kw. At my altitude, my attic 4228 solidly gets the above except 12.1 which approaches at least 300 feet lower height than the others.

2. The UHF frequencies of the stations may be received differently by your type of antenna. For instance, 12.1 at 54 may be good for the 4248. See below web site for antenna performance ratings.

3. I believe these digital stations are all at full planned power pending analog shutdown when (heaven forbid for us in the boonies) some or all of them are threatening to go back to their old channel assignments. This shouldn't be a problem for us west of the Blue Ridge in the case of 35.1, but for the others we better keep handy any big VHF antennas we have lying around.

Just some thoughts I hope aren't too half-baked.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
post #834 of 8855 Old 12-23-2004, 08:27 AM

Antenna question:
I've done the antennaweb thing and asked a few questions here, but now its down to selection time.

I live in the Libbie/Grove area in a 2 story with attic space and surrounded by tall oaks.

here are my options:
1) silver sensor on top of set (first floor, with windows)
2) silver sensor in the attic space (no windows, but higher up)
3) silver sensor mounted high up on side of house (can they even go outside?
4) channel master (or similar) on the roof- this is my least fav option
5) channel master in the attic space
6) something I dont know about????

edited to add:
anyone know about these guys from Radio Shack http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=15-2185

I also have a terk AMP15 amplifier, will that do me any good? It did more harm than good with cable (had it b/c I had over 5 splits).

Thanks!
-N
post #835 of 8855 Old 12-23-2004, 09:24 AM

Michael Park, are you using PIDs below 0x0030 now? My pid setup was already at 30 or above already so WRIC DT will not have to make the change. We will be locally generating PSIP tables shortly as soon as the equipment arrives. That deadline is Jan 31,2005 but the orders went out back in the beginning of November 2004.

Darrell E. Cheney
post #836 of 8855 Old 12-23-2004, 09:26 AM

Oh, also for those looking for my reply on the Sugar Bowl on January 3rd. It will be in HD but not with 5.1 audio. That is the word I have gotten back from ABC.

Darrell Cheney
WRIC TV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #837 of 8855 Old 12-23-2004, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceBassVA

here are my options:
1) silver sensor on top of set (first floor, with windows)
2) silver sensor in the attic space (no windows, but higher up)
3) silver sensor mounted high up on side of house (can they even go outside?
4) channel master (or similar) on the roof- this is my least fav option
5) channel master in the attic space
6) something I dont know about????

Thanks!
-N

In my opinion a "real" i.e., outisde antenna in the attic or outside is the best option. You can start it in your attic and move it outside if that doesn't work. I have never been a big fan of small inside antennas. That said a lot of folks appear to be happy with them here.
post #838 of 8855 Old 12-23-2004, 03:12 PM

i have a channel master 4228 in my attic and pull in all the richmond stations from charlottesville with no problem.
post #839 of 8855 Old 12-24-2004, 07:35 AM

Checking this morning, I cant get a signal from CBS or FOX, ABC and NBC are coming in strong. Anyone else?

oak
post #840 of 8855 Old 12-24-2004, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

SpaceBassVA, I'm one of those happy with an inside antenna. I have a Silver Sensor clone on my desk next to a window on the second-story of my North Side home, and a Radio Shack amplified indoor antenna in the corner of the same room. Both reliably pull in all the local stations. I suspect you'd do just fine with options 1 or 2, which would also be the lowest-cost and least fuss.

ChrisinRichmond, my understanding is that south of the river you can only use an SA box, north of the river is moto-only. It's the way the systems were set up when they were served by separate cablecos.

dcheney and mpark, thanks for the explanation on PSIP updates.

When I turned on both my tuners this morning I got a real "Bah Humbug" feeling when WTVR and WRLH failed to come in. I rescanned, and neither station shows up on either tuner. Could the PSIP update process be the reason?

Today is the only day I have off for the holiday, and I'd been looking forward to the Packers-Vikings game on Fox. I wake up on Christmas Eve to discover that it's not only not in HD, but I can't even watch the cleaner digital signal OTA. Who let the Grinch in the house?

Meanwhile,

Merry Christmas to all on the forum. Hope your stockings, and your eggnog glass, are full of good stuff.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page