Richmond, VA - HDTV - Page 294 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8791 of 8864 Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY ADAMS View Post

COMCAST DIGITAL CABLE CHESTERFIELD COUNTY VIRGINIA AND RICHMOND VIRGINIA WTKR TV 3 NORFOLK VIRGINIA CHANNEL 73 WSKY TV 4 HAMPTON ROAD VIRGINIA CHANNEL 74 WAVY TV 10 NORFOLK VIRGINIA CHANNEL 75 WVEC TV 13 CHANNEL 76 WGNT TV THE CW 27 NORFOLK VIRGINIA CHANNEL 77 WTVZ TV MYTVZ 33 NORFOLK VIRGINIA CHANNEL 78 WVBT TV 43 NORFOLK VIRGINIA CHANNEL 79 MTVU CHANNEL 141 FOX MOVIE CHANNEL 172 TV ONE CHANNEL 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY ADAMS View Post

COMCAST DIGITAL CABLE CHESTERFIELD COUNTY VIRGINIA AND RICHMOND VIRGINIA SWRV TV CHANNEL 400 AND SWRV TV HDTV CHANNEL 1000
What does all this mean?????

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8792 of 8864 Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This was published on timesdispatch.com this morning with updates on the problems at the Chesterfield tower site.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/local/companies/area-tv-stations-experiencing-antenna-problem/article_ebd285d1-40e0-5fc6-a19b-97dbf567fb68.html
post #8793 of 8864 Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

What does all this mean?????

It looks machine generated. I suspect that it is some kind of bot getting ready to spam the forum, after establishing enough credible posts in order to somehow confuse the forum's spam detection software.

Drew
post #8794 of 8864 Old 03-24-2013, 08:38 AM

The FCC shouldn't permit a single point of failure to affect so many channels. They claim they will have to take the antenna down completely and rebuild it, so I assume there will be a complete outage when that happens.
post #8795 of 8864 Old 03-24-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post

The FCC shouldn't permit a single point of failure to affect so many channels.

Seriously?

Why would the FCC care? It's not their job to make sure that all that stations stay in the air, it's their job to make sure that stations on the air follow the rules of the stations' broadcast licenses.
post #8796 of 8864 Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM

I'm new to the forum, and just saw the link to the article about the antenna problems. We were completely unaware of the problems and obviously started having problems a week or two ago. We bought a 2nd antenna last week and are returning it today. I was just researching antennas to look for a better one. Any recommendations? Given the problem should we just suck it up and wait it out and keep watching whatever our set top antenna gives us? Or should we keep looking for a new one? Right now we just have a $14 antenna from Radio Shack. We've never been able to get NBC, but have gotten the other major channels until this recent antenna problem. We live about 30 miles outside of the city in a rural area. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #8797 of 8864 Old 03-25-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaTV View Post

I'm new to the forum, and just saw the link to the article about the antenna problems. We were completely unaware of the problems and obviously started having problems a week or two ago. We bought a 2nd antenna last week and are returning it today. I was just researching antennas to look for a better one. Any recommendations? Given the problem should we just suck it up and wait it out and keep watching whatever our set top antenna gives us? Or should we keep looking for a new one? Right now we just have a $14 antenna from Radio Shack. We've never been able to get NBC, but have gotten the other major channels until this recent antenna problem. We live about 30 miles outside of the city in a rural area. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have been using the DB4 from AntennasDirect since 2008. It is an outdoor antenna, but I use it in the house and get nearly 100% signal on every station except 12.1 (around 60-70%). This antenna is designed for the UHF band and 12.1 is on the VHF band. I am in the West End of Henrico and have tried the smaller indoor antennas and was unable to get any of the too work in my setup.

I have included the link the DB4E, which is the replacement to the DB4.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB4e-extended-long-range-outdoor-dtv-antenna.html

Hope this helps.
post #8798 of 8864 Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM

I'm near Innsbrook and experienced the same OTA issues cited over the past couple weeks. A few days ago there was improvement. 8 & 57 started coming in again. Is this a temporary fix? Any updates about what's going on?
post #8799 of 8864 Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamoose View Post

I'm near Innsbrook and experienced the same OTA issues cited over the past couple weeks. A few days ago there was improvement. 8 & 57 started coming in again. Is this a temporary fix? Any updates about what's going on?

Yes, a temporary fix went live over the weekend. I also noticed major improvement on 8 as well.
post #8800 of 8864 Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM

post #8801 of 8864 Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Shame for a major city to lose much of their local programming (most of our shows are on CBS) for more than two weeks due to an antenna issue. Don't have have contingency plans in place?
post #8802 of 8864 Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

You have to be kidding? Contingency plans? biggrin.gif I guess you have a plan for anything negative that can happen to you?

Harold Jackson
post #8803 of 8864 Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjriver View Post

You have to be kidding? Contingency plans? biggrin.gif I guess you have a plan for anything negative that can happen to you?

Maybe not for everything but having jumper cables in your car and spare tire as well as some cash won't hurt.

We are dealing with the OTA broadcast interruption for a month, maybe more.

Not a big deal, " just a few users are affected...." .

Yes, it's a shame.
riffjim4069 likes this.
post #8804 of 8864 Old 04-05-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Seriously?

Why would the FCC care? It's not their job to make sure that all that stations stay in the air, it's their job to make sure that stations on the air follow the rules of the stations' broadcast licenses.

The FCC should care because it's the law.

The FCC's mission, specified in Section One of the Communications Act of 1934 and amended by the Telecommunications Act of 1996 (amendment to 47 U.S.C. §151) is to "make available so far as possible, to all the people of the United States, without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex, rapid, efficient, Nation-wide, and world-wide wire and radio communication services with adequate facilities at reasonable charges."
post #8805 of 8864 Old 04-05-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

They have adequate facilities. This was an "Act of God" event. No-one can predict that.

Harold Jackson
post #8806 of 8864 Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post

Shame for a major city to lose much of their local programming (most of our shows are on CBS) for more than two weeks due to an antenna issue. Don't have have contingency plans in place?

Do you have a spare house in case a meteor destroys yours?
hjriver likes this.
post #8807 of 8864 Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 AM

WRIC has been working over the past four weeks methodically to get over the air signals back on air with as much power as possible given the situation with the standby antennas that are in place for all 5 stations at this point. You just cannot climb up and pull these two main antennas without making sure there are no safety issues that could cause a more catastrophic failure where the towers come down. The tower crew that has been on site for a month now are in the process of the final cabling for the pulling of the two main antennas this week. If you live anywhere near the tower you have been able to see the sections going up and being mounted as part of this process. Please be aware that we are definitely aware of your concerns. This was not taken litely at all by any of the stations that have been effected by this damage.

As for WRIC, WRLH and WCVW, we will remain on the standby antenna while our main antenna goes back to the plant in Maine for evaluation and rebuild. Worse case is we will have to replace the antenna if the damage is too far gone. Preliminary findings point towards a possible lightning strike during the morning of March 6th when we had that line of thunderstorms come through just before the snow buried us. This rebuild could take upwards of 90 days from the time they receive the antenna in Maine. WTVR and WCVE will be on their standby until their main antenna is remounted on top of the tower at which time they will resume their normal power.

Like many of you have eluded this was not an expected outage that can be planned for. An Act of God is just that. We just have to work around the issue as best we can here.

Darrell Cheney

WRIC TV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #8808 of 8864 Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjax44 View Post

Nicely put sir.

Darrell Cheney
WRIC TV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #8809 of 8864 Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Ahhhh ... so the odds a meteor striking a home is about the same as a 1000 foot tower being struck by lightning??? biggrin.gif
post #8810 of 8864 Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

As I posted earlier.
Quote:
They have adequate facilities. This was an "Act of God" event. No-one can predict that.

Thank you Dick for your excellent explanation of the process to repair the antenna.

Harold Jackson
post #8811 of 8864 Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy C View Post

Ahhhh ... so the odds a meteor striking a home is about the same as a 1000 foot tower being struck by lightning??? biggrin.gif

When channel 8's transmitter and tower was located on Bermuda Hundred Road in eastern Chesterfield I saw lightning strike their tower many times as it was the tallest structure around. After they moved the tower and transmitter our smoke stacks took the hits. biggrin.gif

Harold Jackson
post #8812 of 8864 Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 AM

Thanks Darrell for the updates. I must say everyone is doing a fine job in making sure the signal strength is the best possible with the temporary fixes in place. I have not really had any problems when the temporary antenna went up - 8.1 became usable again for me with no more beak ups. I have not even noticed any changes to 6.1 and 23.1 when they were moved to the temporary antenna. The worst part of the whole situation was the lack of information about what happened and it took about two weeks before anything was in the news.
post #8813 of 8864 Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjriver View Post

If each station had a separate tower, then only one station would be affected by this act of god.
post #8814 of 8864 Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:

If a single residence is destroyed by a meteor (I can't remember the last time that happened), then it doesn't cause the entire community to become homeless. Poor analogy.
post #8815 of 8864 Old 04-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post

If each station had a separate tower, then only one station would be affected by this act of god.

Just be glad they share a tower. I came from a market where the PBS station did not share a tower with the commercial broadcasters, and it was a PITA to get them without a rotor.

Drew
post #8816 of 8864 Old 04-14-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDphile22 View Post

I just hate this type of response.

Since so many people got a problem with your station, maybe you all need to invest on a more powerful antenna like all the other channels, instead of asking customers to go with outdoor antenna! Summer Olympics is coming, and this is just UNACCEPTABLE! There is NO other stations in this city I can not recieve other than you guys. Even stations that I always had problems with before (CW/65.1) is received almost everytime now.

What a joke!!!!!

I believe WWBT is now broadcasting via VHF. I live in Midlothian and get all the locals except 12. Added a old VHF rabbit ear antenna to a 75/300 OHM combiner and now get 12. This with a Silver Sensor above our washer and dryer. can't use the washer if we are watching OTA. Lots of pixelation and stutter. Go figure. We used to live Creekwood in a hole with lots of trees and tried every indoor and outdoor antenna and could not get reliable reception. Too many multi path issues and when the trees would move-forget it. Digital reception is hit or miss. The whole changeover was sold to our politicians as a easy and reliable reception choice. I have spoken to countless elderly folks who have had to switch to either sat or cable because they could not get DTV signals with the free converter box. No ones cares because we are such a minority. Basic cable and Sat service has increased dramatically.
post #8817 of 8864 Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Digital reception has indeed been problematic on some VHF channels such as WWBT-12. However in neighboring northern Virginia, WJLA-7 and WUSA-9 significantly improved their digital signal when they were allowed to increase power. But apparently RF12 continues to be a challenge, whereas UHF digital signals can often be easier to receive. Here in SC, I receive WWBT sister station WBTV-3 at 100%, from 75 miles on RF23. Good reception from Greenville-Spartanburg, Asheville, and Charlotte markets. Hopefully Richmond reception can improve when tower repairs are completed, although 12 may still be a struggle at some locations.
post #8818 of 8864 Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 AM

Liked: 12
WTVR update over on the C'ville thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin2 View Post

I just got another email from channel 6. Seems things are not going well, and it looks complicated with all the other stations being affected. Hopefully they will get it all straightened out eventually. I appreciated how they tell you exactly what happened, nuts and bolts literally are holding things up.

Dear Sir/Madam,

You are receiving this email because of a previous inquiry that you made to WTVR-CBS 6 regarding your loss of signal. There has been an update to the antenna repair completion date that we would like to make you aware of.

Based on the daily feedback WTVR has been receiving from the tower crews working on site in Chesterfield County, we were of the belief that those affected OTA (Over The Air) viewers would regain WTVR's signal by today, Thursday, April 11th. Unfortunately, when the antenna was dismounted yesterday, two issues arose: First, in disassembling the antenna, several NASA standard bolts cracked. New bolts have been ordered, but this has created a delay. Secondly, a specialized portable wench that is specifically designed for this type of project suffered hydraulic problems and is currently being repaired.

Because of these latest developments, WTVR is now being informed by the technicians on site that their "project completion date" will be pushed back by one week. That date is Friday, April 19th. We are hopeful it will be sooner, but from the station's perspective our goal is to be more conservative with this estimate in order to meet expectations and in providing this date it should be noted that it is dependent upon the weather and the near future circumstances at the site.

WTVR understands the negative impact on viewers not being able to receive CBS 6 programming at our current temporary lower power level. For OTA viewers, WTVR and WCVE will be back at full power when this phase of the repair is expected to be completed next week. It is also of note that WRIC, WRLH and WCVW will by necessity remain at their low power level throughout the duration of this complex repair, possibly lasting for several months. We sincerely apologize and want to reemphasize we are doing all we can to resolve the situation as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Stephen

Stephen P. Hayes

General Manager

WTVR-TV, CBS 6

3301 W. Broad Street

Richmond, VA 23230

LLD
post #8819 of 8864 Old 04-16-2013, 11:37 AM

I got 8 and 35 reception back about a week ago, and 6 came in Sunday night (after the Masters of course).
post #8820 of 8864 Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My point was that OTA reception is hit or miss based on your topography. Unlike analog which even though may not be perfect, can be obtained by most viewers with a large enough antenna. The powers that be sold it to Congress as a reliable and easy way for our citizens to get OTA. There is no lobby group for retired folks in the country or folks that cannot afford cable or satellite service. No one brought up multipath issues to Congress. I am fortunate that I live only 4 miles from the towers here in Midlothian. Like I said I use to live about 8 miles away in a wooded community with lots of mulitpath issues. Tried every indoor and outdoor antenna and even had a professional company come in and they tried about four high gain antennas without any luck. I work at UVA and take care of mostly older folks who live in the country and most of the ones that obtained their tv service via OTA could not get reliable tv service after the switch and have had to get Dish or DTV. I am sure these companies had some interest in the switch. I have no problem with the stations transmitting their signal digitally but I think they should of kept the analog service going. Just made these companies more money and the government some cash when the sold the bandwith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page