Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 8856 Old 08-24-2004, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Darrell-
I've had 8-1 on since about 4:30. I haven't just stared at the TV for the entire time, but I've been trying to watch as much as possible and I haven't seen any breakups of audio or video during that time.

My box is a HDTivo. I'll check the Comcast box later tonight or in the morning.

What's different about the new encoder??

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 8856 Old 08-24-2004, 06:02 PM

Thanks Steve, just check it out and see what you think. I think I have found the problem with the audio not switching at the same time with the video when going from upconversion to hd passthru. I will be able to test my theory on Thursday when part comes in that I need to install. Keep me posted. All who subscribe here please put your two cents in for me too. I'd appreciate it.

Darrell
Cheney
WRIC TV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #63 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Darrell,

I watched for an hour around midnight and turned it on again this morning.

NO AUDIO DROPOUTS on WRIC-DT using my Comcast Moto 6208 DVR. Until now, I'd never been able to watch more than a few minutes without dropouts marked by my receiver hunting for a signal. Now it's clean, clear and steady.

Thanks for sticking with it.
post #64 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Darrell -
I was only able to watch for a few minutes last night, but also noticed NO DROPOUTS.
I'll post if extended viewing shows differently, but kudos if this thing is finally fixed before MNF kicks in.
post #65 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Darrell-
I spent some time watching 8-1 via the Comcast SA Explorer 8000HD, which is the HD DVR for Chesterfield County.

No dropouts!! I still get the scan lines we talked about but only on a 4:3 TV. They aren't visible on a 16:9 TV.

As far as the HDTivo goes, it still looks good although it still won't pick up 8-2. It finds two digital channels for WRIC, but they both are listed as 8-1 and show the primary digital programming. The only apparent differernce is that one is listed as WRICHD in the guide and the other as WRIC-DT.

Steve
post #66 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 10:19 AM

The 8-2 feed is labelled as WRIC-DT which is the ABC News Now feed. The scan line issue is something I have to work on as it will on effect the upconverted signal and not the ABC passthru. The new master control switcher has a two line delay through the converter that is giving you the two lines of noise at the top of the screen. We are sort of in the middle of a major process of converting from the analog world to serial digital in the plant so this is something that I thought might happen. I will see what I can do to eliminate it. But folks, seriously, please give me as much feedback on the problems you have or no longer have. The analyzer was a big help in me finding some minor issues on the encoder for 8-1.

Darrell Cheney
WRICTV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #67 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm seeing one or two vertical blue lines on the left side of the 4:3 image on 8-2 on my 16:9 set.

Still golden on 8-1, no audio dropouts. Video quite good.

Meanwhile as I write this, WWBT-DT has lost its HD Olympic feed and is simulcasting a stretched SD feed. (Still beyond me why they stretch to protect against burn-in and then leave black bars, hope someday they lose the stretch altogether.)
post #68 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wittangamo
I'm seeing one or two vertical blue lines on the left side of the 4:3 image on 8-2 on my 16:9 set.

Still golden on 8-1, no audio dropouts. Video quite good.

Meanwhile as I write this, WWBT-DT has lost its HD Olympic feed and is simulcasting a stretched SD feed. (Still beyond me why they stretch to protect against burn-in and then leave black bars, hope someday they lose the stretch altogether.)

We lost our HD feed from NBC. We'll try to pick it up again at 2pm EST.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #69 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update, mpark.

Just reminds me how spoiled I've gotten watching the HD Olympics.
post #70 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

2:07pm- We are still having problems with our HD feed. I'll update you when I know more.

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #71 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpark
2:07pm- We are still having problems with our HD feed. I'll update you when I know more.

Thanks!
post #72 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

We are back up. Sorry about that.

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #73 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 04:22 PM

Hat off to Darrell E. Cheney,

I have been watching 8-1, on HDTIVO, no more A/V dropout, salute, and thank you for the job well done, just in time for football season.

However, I have not watched anything in HD yet. Has anyone watch HD on 8-1?

8-2 still does not show up on HDTIVO.

Will Monday night football always be in HD?
post #74 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 05:04 PM

I am watching "my wife and kids" now in HD 8-1 on HDTIVO, it looks perfect, could not be better, I don't even know what the show is all about.
post #75 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I carefully wathced My Wife and Kids on 8-1 from 8 to 8:30. The only problems I saw was a slight audio dropout at the start of the Arby's commercial at about 8:15. Also, when the show returned at the end of the mid break (about 8:16) it was in 4:3 standard def for about the first 30 seconds or so. Other than that, it looked just fine on my HD DirecTivo.

Steve
post #76 of 8856 Old 08-25-2004, 09:35 PM

Steve,
You are correct about the sd after a break. I had to call to jump on the operator about switching it back to hd. I am working on the automation for that now so in a few days they will not have to manually switch the hd to sd and back, the switcher will handle that.

Darrell Cheney

Darrell E. Cheney
post #77 of 8856 Old 08-26-2004, 03:05 PM

Quote:

I am working on the automation for that now so in a few days they will not have to manually switch the hd to sd and back, the switcher will handle that.

Hallelujah!
post #78 of 8856 Old 08-27-2004, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Any educated guesses on how long it will be before we get HD from Fox or PBS in Richmond?

I have read the explanations of why it's not here yet, but does anyone have predictions on when the situation might improve?
post #79 of 8856 Old 08-27-2004, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Any educated guesses on how long it will be before we get HD from Fox or PBS in Richmond?

I have read the explanations of why it's not here yet, but does anyone have predictions on when the situation might improve?

You might wanna read VARTV. There's a piece about Sinclair (owns FOX WRLH/35). Richmond wasn't specifically mentioned but you never know.........

Robert F Corbin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 | Virginia Media News & Information

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #80 of 8856 Old 08-27-2004, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

From TV Technology...

HDTV Liberation Front
Those unbending renegades up in Cockeysville, Md. are at it again. This time, the Sinclair Broadcast Group is publicizing its about-face on over-the-air reception with a media campaign for free HDTV.

SBG has finished a set of public service announcements, first described in the pages of the July 21 issue of TV Technology, designed to promote free over-the-air HDTV. For a generation of viewers, the concept may be as breathlessly stunning as the PSA announcer makes it sound:

"Before cable and satellite, there was free TV, delivered to you over the airwaves!" the announcer intones as if unveiling the cold-fusion automobile. "It began as early images, then the pictures became clearer, we added color and more detail, better sound and new and exciting program! Now, high-definition images are being broadcast to your home for free! Before you buy your next TV, become an education consumer. Then ask how you can receive free over-the-air high-definition television. HDTV is here, and it's free!" Bwahahahahaha ...

An SBG spokesman said that three station groups had requested tapes of the PSAs, but he declined to identify them. The spots are network and station agnostic, and can therefore be branded by whoever runs them.

The ads refer viewers to a companion Web site, www.myfreehdtv.org, which features a couple of fidgety ungulates on a 16:9 screen in a living room not of this world, in addition to an FAQ about free hi-def TV.

"'Over-the-air' HDTV is just one of the many new and exciting services your local television station is providing you today, with even more services being planned for your future," the Web site states.

SBG's own Web site lists nine of its 62 stations as being "HDTV ready" today. Up until recent reception tests proved the competence of Zenith's latest over-the-air demodulator, Sinclair was the most vociferous critic of the transmission standard for over-the-air digital television. The spokesman there said the four NBC affiliates cranked on the HD in time for the Olympics. The group's 20 Fox affiliates are preparing for that network's full-fledged HD launch on Sept. 12, he said.

The "My Free HDTV" Web site also includes a link to something called "CheckHD," a geographic-search info site from the folks at Decisionmark, creators of http://www.antennaweb.org/. Like AntennaWeb, where a user plugs in street address and minimal terrain information, CheckHD uses similar criteria to list available over-the-air digital content in a given area. When the site goes live Sept. 20, it will also have links to local retailers carrying the recommended stuff to get over-the-air DTV (and HDTV).

Robert F Corbin

| Virginia Media News & Information

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #81 of 8856 Old 08-29-2004, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll set up a snow-cone pushcart in hell if Fox 35 in Richmond is broadcasting in HD on Sept. 12.
post #82 of 8856 Old 08-30-2004, 02:45 AM

The game between the patriots and carolina on WTVR ch.6 , was stunning on my HDTIVO, good enough just to watch PQ, not the game it self. Hat off to CBS and WTVR team. Good job.

FYI, NFLTV ch.212 on D*, rebroadcast just about any preseason games this weekend, will they do the same once season starts?
post #83 of 8856 Old 08-30-2004, 02:51 AM

Quote:

I'll set up a snow-cone pushcart in hell if Fox 35 in Richmond is broadcasting in HD on Sept. 12.

My question is , will any game on FOX be broadcated on D* Sunday ticket?, I myself used to pay $99 for it, but have not bought it again, I don't think it's worth the money. I think it is $219, now. I stick with OTA reception.I just need to see some of the redskins game, ESPNHD, Monday night and may be CBS in HD would be plenty of HD football.
post #84 of 8856 Old 08-30-2004, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dcheney
Thanks Steve, just check it out and see what you think. I think I have found the problem with the audio not switching at the same time with the video when going from upconversion to hd passthru. I will be able to test my theory on Thursday when part comes in that I need to install. Keep me posted. All who subscribe here please put your two cents in for me too. I'd appreciate it.

Darrell
Cheney
WRIC TV

Darrell,

I have been out of the country for two weeks but am very excited to read here that the dropout poblems seem to be fixed. Cant wait for the game tonight, will give you my feedback then. BTW, HDTIVO owner.

As`said many times before, thx for your diligence in getting this resolved.
post #85 of 8856 Old 08-30-2004, 11:31 AM

I just talked to Rick at WRLH-35.

He says that HD is coming soon! He did not want to commit to a date, but did say that they were working to get operational for sports (not a specific event but for the fall season). He would commit to 1 or 2 months.

He said he had the tubes for the transmitter (to go full power) and also the microwave dishes which would be installed after Labor Day to connect their studio and the tower.

Rick also said that he would be taking 35.1 off of the air during much of this upgrade (it would be a sign that they were working on it).

Not much else was said, and I did not ask about Comcast. That is something that has to be worked out between Comcast and Sinclair (who owns Fox35), and with Sinclair launching their website promoting free OTA HDTV, I don't think it looks too promising.

Rod319
post #86 of 8856 Old 08-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rod319
Not much else was said, and I did not ask about Comcast. That is something that has to be worked out between Comcast and Sinclair (who owns Fox35), and with Sinclair launching their website promoting free OTA HDTV, I don't think it looks too promising.

Rod319

BTW, This website and the associated PSA's are available for any television station to use not just Sinclair. I'm not sure who is promoting it but it could be part of the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters).

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #87 of 8856 Old 08-30-2004, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rod-
I'm glad you finally talked to Rick. I've been unsuccessful for the last couple of weeks. It does sound like it's good news. I know that last time I talked to Rick he said that the only thing that was stopping him was the equipment and he'd get it installed once it arrived from Sinclair.

Let's just hope that the Fox install goes smoothly. Thanks for the update.

Steve
post #88 of 8856 Old 08-30-2004, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by docchak
My question is , will any game on FOX be broadcated on D* Sunday ticket?, I myself used to pay $99 for it, but have not bought it again, I don't think it's worth the money. I think it is $219, now. I stick with OTA reception.I just need to see some of the redskins game, ESPNHD, Monday night and may be CBS in HD would be plenty of HD football.

Yes, they'll be plenty of Fox games in HD on Sunday Ticket. Here's a link to the Sunday Ticket schedule. They usually list the HD games about two or three weeks in advance. Right now, the first two weeks of HD broadcasts are shown.

Steve
post #89 of 8856 Old 08-30-2004, 08:38 PM

WWBT-DT has just switched from storm coverage to Leno while the analog is still the storm coverage. This is fine and all, only the Leno is not in HD which is odd.....I figured that would be the whole reason why they were showing it.
post #90 of 8856 Old 08-31-2004, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisInRichmond
WWBT-DT has just switched from storm coverage to Leno while the analog is still the storm coverage. This is fine and all, only the Leno is not in HD which is odd.....I figured that would be the whole reason why they were showing it.

Our bad. It was a little hectic here last night. Sorry.

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page