Richmond, VA - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 8856 Old 01-03-2005, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll dothe HD still, but get out my OTA antenna and hook it back up again. I'll need to figure out a nice way to wire for the extra antenna, since I didn't plan on itwhen pre-wiring for a home theater (hoping to get it from cable or satellite). I guess it will be ok to have a 'temporary' wire running from the antenna to the tv. Once I get a projector that can do HD, it can all remain in the same room, so no problem.
Only concern remains how strong signals will be OTA, but I'll just have to find out.
So, DirecTV is finllay including locals, but now they don't include HD locals? IS that the deal with the HD package? I guess I need to move to more satellite-specific forums.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 8856 Old 01-03-2005, 09:32 PM

I'm having some OTA reception issues, and I'm hoping you all can give me some advice.

I live in Midlothian on Charter Colony Parkway (just down the street from John Tyler Community College). The area is very wooded and most of the trees are over 30 ft tall. I live in a three-story house and I'd like to have the antenna in the attic (I'd like to avoid a roof mount if possible).

Here are my antennaweb results:

red - uhf WRIC-DT 8.1 ABC 67° 3.6mi 22
red - uhf WRLH-DT 35.1 FOX 67° 3.5mi 26
red - uhf WTVR-DT 25.1 CBS 67° 3.5mi 25
red - uhf WCVE-DT 23.1 PBS 67° 3.5mi 42
red - uhf WCVW-DT 23.1 PBS 67° 3.5mi 44
red - uhf WWBT-DT 12.1 NBC 90° 8.5mi 54
blue - uhf WUPV-DT 47.1 UPN 52° 12.8mi 47

I have tried several antennas in my attic (Terk HDTVi, Terk TV55, Samsung TV5.2), and the only one that has given me decent results is the Zenith Silver Surfer, but even that one is not as good as I'd like. I can get WRIC, WRLH, WTVR, WCVE, and WCVW just fine, but WWBT cuts in and out quite a bit. Even if I aim the antenna 90°, directly at the WWBT tower, I can't get a consistent signal. I'm not all that concerned with WUPV, since there's nothing I watch on UPN that would make it worth that much more antenna.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I'm thinking about trying to put the Channel Master 4228 in my attic, since I've heard a lot of good things about it. Has anyone tried that antenna with an attic mount?

I didn't expect this to be this difficult considering how close I am to the towers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #993 of 8856 Old 01-04-2005, 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cadarn
I'm having some OTA reception issues, and I'm hoping you all can give me some advice.

I live in Midlothian on Charter Colony Parkway (just down the street from John Tyler Community College). The area is very wooded and most of the trees are over 30 ft tall. I live in a three-story house and I'd like to have the antenna in the attic (I'd like to avoid a roof mount if possible).

Here are my antennaweb results:

red - uhf WRIC-DT 8.1 ABC 67° 3.6mi 22
red - uhf WRLH-DT 35.1 FOX 67° 3.5mi 26
red - uhf WTVR-DT 25.1 CBS 67° 3.5mi 25
red - uhf WCVE-DT 23.1 PBS 67° 3.5mi 42
red - uhf WCVW-DT 23.1 PBS 67° 3.5mi 44
red - uhf WWBT-DT 12.1 NBC 90° 8.5mi 54
blue - uhf WUPV-DT 47.1 UPN 52° 12.8mi 47

I have tried several antennas in my attic (Terk HDTVi, Terk TV55, Samsung TV5.2), and the only one that has given me decent results is the Zenith Silver Surfer, but even that one is not as good as I'd like. I can get WRIC, WRLH, WTVR, WCVE, and WCVW just fine, but WWBT cuts in and out quite a bit. Even if I aim the antenna 90°, directly at the WWBT tower, I can't get a consistent signal. I'm not all that concerned with WUPV, since there's nothing I watch on UPN that would make it worth that much more antenna.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I'm thinking about trying to put the Channel Master 4228 in my attic, since I've heard a lot of good things about it. Has anyone tried that antenna with an attic mount?

I didn't expect this to be this difficult considering how close I am to the towers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cadarn,

I had a very similar problem living in Glen Allen, I could get all of the DTV channels (including UPN) but 54.1-3 (12) would come in and out no mater where I pointed the antenna. I decided to try a splitter/combiner to run 2 antennas and see what would happen. i bought a Monster Cable splitter/combiner (5mHz- 1000mHz) for about $12.

I hooked up my Winegard Square shooter pointing so I could get all of the stations exept 12 consistantly, then pointed the Silver Sensor clone I have at the NBC tower. I hooked them both up to the splitter/combiner and then ran one line back to my TV. This worked great. I now get all stations @85-92% with no dropouts at all. I am in 2 story house with 30+ foot pine trees all around me.

Might be worth a try as it will only set you back a few $ and it seems like you already have a few extra antennas that you could try.

oak

edit: be sure to place them about 8 -10 feet apart as to not cause any unwanted ghosting
post #994 of 8856 Old 01-04-2005, 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by oakenshld
Cadarn,

I had a very similar problem living in Glen Allen, I could get all of the DTV channels (including UPN) but 54.1-3 (12) would come in and out no mater where I pointed the antenna. I decided to try a splitter/combiner to run 2 antennas and see what would happen. i bought a Monster Cable splitter/combiner (5mHz- 1000mHz) for about $12.

I hooked up my Winegard Square shooter pointing so I could get all of the stations exept 12 consistantly, then pointed the Silver Sensor clone I have at the NBC tower. I hooked them both up to the splitter/combiner and then ran one line back to my TV. This worked great. I now get all stations @85-92% with no dropouts at all. I am in 2 story house with 30+ foot pine trees all around me.

Might be worth a try as it will only set you back a few $ and it seems like you already have a few extra antennas that you could try.

oak

edit: be sure to place them about 8 -10 feet apart as to not cause any unwanted ghosting

Oak,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had already tried that at one point, but I didn't realize the antennas should be that far apart (I had them right next to each other). So, needless to say, my results were not good. But I'll try it with the antennas farther apart when I get home tonight. Thanks!

Cadarn
post #995 of 8856 Old 01-04-2005, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Silver Sensor is very directional and as close to the tower as you are, it can be hard to get it to have a wide enough "field of view" to get both all stations.

If you try the two antennas again and still have problems, consider aiming the silver sensor at 270 degrees, or in the opposite direction You may have better luck with a reflected signal.

If you still have problems, send me a private message or email and I'd be happy to come by and take a look. I live about 5 minutes from you in Brandermill

Steve
post #996 of 8856 Old 01-05-2005, 06:35 AM

Well, I tried using both antennas (Silver Sensor and Terk's Silver Sensor clone), and it didn't work. I had them about about 15ft apart, and I guess they were still interfering with one another, because the WWBT signal from either one individually was stronger than the combined signal. Aiming the Silver Sensor at 270 degrees didn't do it either.

I've decided to give the Winegard SS-2000 a shot. I've got plenty of space for it my attic, and its 61 degree beamwidth should be more than enough to catch everything, even considering how close I am to the towers. Plus, if it won't work in the attic and I need to put it up on the roof, it's unobtrusive enough that my wife won't mind it. I ordered one last night, and should be getting it in a few days.

I'll report back with my results. Thanks for your help! And Steve, if this doesn't work, then I may take you up on your offer to come over and take a look.

Wish me luck.

Cadarn
post #997 of 8856 Old 01-06-2005, 02:28 AM

FYI...

The guide for WTRV in HDTV is now available for Comcast users north of the river this morning, channel 212.
post #998 of 8856 Old 01-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

For Comcast subs with the new 6412 dual tuner DVR -

I have been enjoying this unit very much and it's a huge improvement over other boxes. I don't even miss Tivo as much anymore, and that's saying a lot.
Anyway, when I first got the box, the "swap" functionality to swap between tuners didn't work. This is needed when your active tuner is recording, and you want to use the other tuner to watch or record something different. I have noticed for scheduled recordings for example, the box automatically records using the inactive tuner, so it isn't always an issue.
Sometimes, however, the tuner you're using is recording, and you need to swap to be able to use the other one. I hope a future software release will make this automatic (a la Tivo).
If for some reason your swap button (tv/vcr button) doesn't work, below are the steps to program it. It took me a couple of tries, but mine now works properly.

It looks like you can also program a button for a 30 sec skip, although I haven't tried this yet.

Here is the exact procedure to program a swap or 30 second skip to the remote.

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip) or 00236 (for Swap).
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip or swap function to.
post #999 of 8856 Old 01-06-2005, 11:34 AM

ESPN2HD is debuting today... I have not seen anything new on my Comcast lineup. Anyone have any info?
post #1000 of 8856 Old 01-06-2005, 03:21 PM

I have a question for those of you in the West End near Short Pump, I am getting ready for HD and need to buy an indoor antenna, I have been looking at two and was wondering if anyone had any experience with either and could tell me how they've worked in this area the first is the silver sensor clone by Gemini http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=electronics
and the second is the radioshack model http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1880
post #1001 of 8856 Old 01-06-2005, 03:51 PM

I have used both. I think that the Radio Shack one is a little more forgiving as far as pointing and multi path. I now use a small UHF Radio shack antenna on the roof but still have multi patch on a windy day.
post #1002 of 8856 Old 01-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

I've had pretty good luck with the Silver Sensor here not too far from Short Pump.
Your biggest problem in the area is tall trees and the multipath problems they may cause. I can get CBS, Fox, ABC and PBS pretty solid. NBC is on a different tower and is slightly away from the others, so a highly directional antenna like the Silver Sensor may require a slight readjustment.
You won't really know until you try from your location. I would start with one of the ones you've picked out and get it from a place you can return it, in case you have to step up to something else.
Good luck.
post #1003 of 8856 Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 PM

Thanks from both, I think I may try the radioshack first and see what happens, if it doesn't work, I'll order the gemini from amazon, I'd rather try local first, less of a wait once I buy the TV.
post #1004 of 8856 Old 01-06-2005, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
DirecTV is carrying NFL Network-HD on Channel 98. Is this permanent?

I read somewhere that DirecTV and Adelphia had signed-up for ESPN2-HD. No sign of it this evening...

Robert F Corbin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 | Virginia Media News & Information

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #1005 of 8856 Old 01-06-2005, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by VARTV
DirecTV is carrying NFL Network-HD on Channel 98. Is this permanent?

I read somewhere that DirecTV and Adelphia had signed-up for ESPN2-HD. No sign of it this evening...

{Krusty voice} Wooo Hooo
Is this part of Sunday Ticket? (which I don't have.... yet)
I'm getting the new (and worthless) mix channels but nothing on 98.

I've also re-setup my old (only old b/c I have 3 d* TiVos) series 2 Tivo.... waiting for TiVo2Go.... but that's another thread.

Thanks for the update VARTV!

-N
post #1006 of 8856 Old 01-06-2005, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SpaceBassVA
{Homer Voice} Wooo Hooo
Is this part of Sunday Ticket? (which I don't have.... yet)
I'm getting the new (and worthless) mix channels but nothing on 98.

I've also re-setup my old (only old b/c I have 3 d* TiVos) series 2 Tivo.... waiting for TiVo2Go.... but that's another thread.

Thanks for the update VARTV!

-N

post #1007 of 8856 Old 01-06-2005, 09:25 PM

Hey folks,
Is everyone getting 8-1 and 8-2 correctly? Let me know.

Darrell Cheney
WRIC TV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #1008 of 8856 Old 01-07-2005, 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dcheney
Hey folks,
Is everyone getting 8-1 and 8-2 correctly? Let me know.

Darrell Cheney
WRIC TV

Darrell,

I have been getting them both great with my STB's and my ATI HDTV. BTW, your guide data is also showing up much more quickly now.

Great Job!

oak
post #1009 of 8856 Old 01-07-2005, 05:10 AM

Does anyone else have any problems with CBS? I live in Glen Allen and get Fox, NBC, and ABC no problems at all with my indoors antenna without any antenna adjustment. I can't get CBS at all no matter what I do with the OTA. I thought the CBS tower was located at the same place as ABC, FOX, etc?
post #1010 of 8856 Old 01-07-2005, 05:37 AM

IROCK59040,

I have the Radio Shack antenna for sale for half price. Email me at tpistey@yahoo.com if interested. It is in perfect working order.

Everyone else, I apologize for the sales pitch.

Tom
post #1011 of 8856 Old 01-07-2005, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

dcheney,

8-1 and 8-2 are strong and clear on North Side. Thanks for your hustle is fixing the PSIP issues. The Sugar Bowl looked great, though you guys did broadcast the wrong alternate ending ;>(

emilesVT, CBS has never been a problem for me. But I have read earlier posts about people having tuner trouble -- specifically with certain Samsung models. If you post your setup, perhaps someone can help.
post #1012 of 8856 Old 01-07-2005, 10:51 AM

It also seems to be working on Comcast in HD now as well.

By the way, get back to work.
post #1013 of 8856 Old 01-07-2005, 11:36 AM

Funny when your boss is on a message board forum and finds that you have made a post that is relatively close to business hours

Anyways, my setup is the Samsung SIR-TS360 DirecTV HD receiver with the RCA ANT1250 indoor antenna. You say people have mentioned tuner issues specifically with Samsung models? I haven't heard that, what has been said?
post #1014 of 8856 Old 01-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

emiles, I also have the Sammy 360 mated to a Zenith Silver Sensor. For awhile, the local CBS affiliate had something going on with their PSIP stream where many Samsung boxes could not lock onto their signal. However, this was fixed a couple of months ago and I have had no problems since.

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but have you done a rescan? It should map to 6-1. I'll check when I get home to make sure it hasn't disappeared again.
post #1015 of 8856 Old 01-07-2005, 03:24 PM

I am also having some problems tuning WTVR. I believe this "new" issue is different than the previous problem. WTVR had always been my strongest channel until last week. Now it is a real chore to get to come in. I have to continuously tweak my antenna to get it. Before last week, I could have my antenna anywhere in a 45 degree arc.
post #1016 of 8856 Old 01-07-2005, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Darrell,
8-1 and 8-2 are perfect here; and being an HD fanatic, I would have no problems if I had to report 8-1 is fine but nothing on 8-2 due to non-transmission.
post #1017 of 8856 Old 01-07-2005, 06:15 PM

I am having problems with CBS as well. I have not been able to get 6-1 since before Christmas. I have the Samsung TS160 which has had problems off and on with CBS. This problem seems to be different in that I can scan and lock on to 6-1 but I get 0% signal strength.

I was also having trouble with 8-1 right after Christmas but am now picking it up fine.
post #1018 of 8856 Old 01-07-2005, 06:16 PM

I received a letter from Comcast in the mail today regarding HD and the adding of CBS to its lineup.

The letter also mentions the following: "While we currently do not have an agreement with Sinclair Broadcasting, owners of WRLH Fox 35, to offer you their HD signal, we want you to know we are continuing regotiations and are working hard to add this to our lineup in the future. We cannnot estimate when this might be, but have reserved channel 213 for this signal. We will notify you when this is available."

I don't know what "in the future" means but I guess its good to know that they are working on it.
post #1019 of 8856 Old 01-08-2005, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by mattbshaw
I received a letter from Comcast in the mail today regarding HD and the adding of CBS to its lineup.

The letter also mentions the following: "While we currently do not have an agreement with Sinclair Broadcasting, owners of WRLH Fox 35, to offer you their HD signal, we want you to know we are continuing regotiations and are working hard to add this to our lineup in the future. We cannnot estimate when this might be, but have reserved channel 213 for this signal. We will notify you when this is available."

I don't know what "in the future" means but I guess its good to know that they are working on it.

For Comcast to state all that 1) They are indeed close to doing something or 2)They are putting pressure on Sinclair to do something...

Robert F Corbin

| Virginia Media News & Information

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #1020 of 8856 Old 01-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

I agree that for Comcast to even announce this is in the works is either a sign that agreement is close or a huge improvement in customer communications.

You know, several years ago, I was one of many that was disgusted with the cable company - I found their customer service awful and their technology offerings lacking - 5 years ago I couldn't even get a box with an S-Video output. I happily jumped to DirecTV and never looked back.

They have come a long way since then, and with the new dual tuner DVR, quality HD, and their improved service, I have to say I'm pretty happy and think they are a good alternative to satellite. A pretty dramatic turnaround - now if only they weren't so damn expensive...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page