Richmond, VA - HDTV - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 8855 Old 01-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in Doubletree right next to you. I get CBS, ABC, FOX fine with no trouble using a Zenith Silver Sensor. It's odd you're having trouble with just CBS and not the others.
I'm using a Samsung 360 as my OTA box. Let me know if you want to borrow it to see if you get different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 8855 Old 01-17-2005, 08:21 PM

Anyone try to watch 24 on Monday night? I wasn't getting any signal from Fox...maybe I need to rescan.

After another few hours messing around with the antenna, I can now get CBS steady ~90% and ABC and Fox 100%. Still no NBC. I have a tall pine tree in my front yard, so maybe that's blocking the signal. 3/4 ain't bad, I guess.
post #1083 of 8855 Old 01-17-2005, 08:55 PM

Yes, I watched "24". It was fine on WRLH. Try a rescan.

Rod319
post #1084 of 8855 Old 01-18-2005, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by swhite
Hopefully allowed in the local thread ...

I am moving in a few weeks, so will not have Comcast anymore. I am just barely outside their area near Ashland. Of the satellite options, I was looking at Voom due to their HD and $1 deal. I guess DirecTV would also be a choice.
Does anyone locally use either of these, and have good/bad things to say to help make up my mind?
I currently have a Sony 51" widescreen RPTV, but look to add a projector in my new home in the near future that is HD-compatible.
Was hoping to get some feedback on which way to go. Thanks for any info.

Stephen White

I am a devoted DirecTV customer. My take on voom is not good... They are losing money faster than US Air and I doubt they'll be around in another year. I think they will get bought out or simply go dark.

DirecTV has a pretty decent HD offering, but I am worried that their focus is on bringing local HDs online rather than offering new channels.

All-in-all I dont miss comcast one bit. With my DirecTV HD DVR (TiVo) and a very small antenna I get everything and it looks amazing.
post #1085 of 8855 Old 01-18-2005, 02:28 PM

I had VOOM and switched back to cable. After a few months on cable I went to Direct TV. The thing I liked about VOOM was the fact it had alot of HD, but most of their HD stuff sucked. They were always showing the same movies over and over again. I believe they showed the same movie all day. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it's worth watching. I got tired of all the soccer and fashion shows. The other issue is it's lack of basic channels. I could not get FOX, because it is considered a local channel and I could not pick up the signal with their attenna. I also had some problems with the other local channels. I also believe they did not offer channels like G4TV, TNT, and maybe TBS. It was something like that, a few networks that everyone has, they didn't. I eventually went with DirectTV and a Radioshack antenna in the attic. I get everything now.
post #1086 of 8855 Old 01-18-2005, 04:34 PM

I hate to post again, but each day brings another odd occurrence...

I rescanned my RCA D* HD receiver and now I can suddenly get NBC (along with ABC and CBS), but Fox wasn't picked up in the scan. Considering I've never gotten NBC before, I am now really perplexed.

Does weather, as in temp. changes and other atmospheric conditions, have an affect on TV reception? The only thing that's changed from Sunday to today is that it's a lot colder. Is that a valid theory? If so, maybe I'll only get NBC from time to time (or season to season).

The disappointing aspect is I've lost Fox, which along with ABC, I'd never ever had trouble--always 100% rock steady. Unless someone else has a good idea, I guess I'll rescan again later this week and then if that fails, climb the ladder again Saturday afternoon to move the antenna more toward the Fox tower and see if that works. For the short-term, I need Fox for football and 24. I wouldn't mind getting all 4, but I don't think that's possible with the antenna I have right now.

For the person who posted about their Radio Shack attic antenna: which model did you buy?
post #1087 of 8855 Old 01-19-2005, 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cbrucia
Anyone try to watch 24 on Monday night? I wasn't getting any signal from Fox...maybe I need to rescan.

After another few hours messing around with the antenna, I can now get CBS steady ~90% and ABC and Fox 100%. Still no NBC. I have a tall pine tree in my front yard, so maybe that's blocking the signal. 3/4 ain't bad, I guess.

That's funny because I played with my indoor antenna this past weekend for the football playoffs. Where I could never get CBS before, I now get wonderfully and now can not get Fox at all...no matter how much I move around my antenna.
post #1088 of 8855 Old 01-19-2005, 05:59 AM

I did read somewhere that channels one after the other can interfere with each other, so maybe getting a better CBS signal is cutting into Fox. Aren't their digital channels 25 and 26?
post #1089 of 8855 Old 01-19-2005, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Fox is transmitting at about twice the power of CBS so I don't see how CBS could cut too much into Fox. Fox is at 26 and CBS at 25.
post #1090 of 8855 Old 01-19-2005, 09:23 AM

I'm contemplating getting this service through Comcast now that they have a dual tuner DVR but I wanted to see how those of you that have it feel about it.

Is the DVR fairly user friendly? Can you record a HD show and watch another HD show at the same time on another channel? How does it compare to Tivo?

Thanks,
Brian
post #1091 of 8855 Old 01-19-2005, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

User-friendly? Yes, though it has some quirks. (Most notably if you turn it on while it is in the middle of a scheduled recording, the sound is muted. Solution: program an unmute button, or better yet, don't turn it off.)

Record one and watch another? Yes. In fact, you can record two and watch a third, pre-recorded, show at the same time.

Compared to Tivo? Not as many options, but then an HD Tivo isn't available for $10 per month.

Check the HDTV Recorders forum for a detailed thread on the pros and cons. Personally, I think it's a good machine and a big step up from the single-tuner 6208.
post #1092 of 8855 Old 01-19-2005, 11:49 AM

Its a serious cash investment.... and one that some people are unsure about.
But, I have the HD DVR w/ TiVo and it blows the comcast box out of the water. (I had both for a while).
However, the comcast box has come a LONG way and is not a particulary bad product. ITs just not a TiVo
post #1093 of 8855 Old 01-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

If you look back a few pages there were several comments on the new box when it first became available here in the local thread as well.

The gist of mine were that the new box is a huge leap forward in ease of use and functionality from the 6208.

I had the dual tuner Tivo from D* for awhile and thought it was one of the best designed products I've ever used. Although this guide and interface are not quite that slick, it's close enough for me and the quality HD picture, low up-front cost and all locals in HD (except Fox - hopefully coming soon) make it a recommended product.
post #1094 of 8855 Old 01-19-2005, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Quote:

Does weather, as in temp. changes and other atmospheric conditions, have an affect on TV reception? The only thing that's changed from Sunday to today is that it's a lot colder. Is that a valid theory?

Funny you mentioned both of those things. I always record shows, so just out of curiosity I checked-in on 24 halfway through and saw the picture was breaking up. I had to rotate my antenna another 20 degrees off direction (more north) to get an unbroken signal. Needless to say watching that first half-hour was very distracting with all the breakups I was getting.

Don't ask me to explain, but atmospheric conditions can play havoc with OTA reception. I know when I lived west of DC; in the fall there were lots of posts as to what was happening to the DC stations. Those posts were like clockwork every fall, and I'm not referring to leaves coming off the trees.
post #1095 of 8855 Old 01-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Weather and atmouspheric conditions can cetainly play a role on reception especially rain, snow and ice. One of our engineers explained to me how the pine needles on all the pine trees we have are perfect for interfering with OTA TV especially when they are wet or have ice on them. They bounce the TV signals around even more. The 5th generation HD receivers should fix most multipath issues. They are just now coming to the market. The 6th generation will be designed so good that they should work in moving vehicles. Hang in there. I have some the same issues you guys have with OTA even when it makes no sense.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #1096 of 8855 Old 01-19-2005, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Originally posted by mpark
Weather and atmouspheric conditions can cetainly play a role on reception especially rain, snow and ice. One of our engineers explained to me how the pine needles on all the pine trees we have are perfect for interfering with OTA TV especially when they are wet or have ice on them. They bounce the TV signals around even more. The 5th generation HD receivers should fix most multipath issues. They are just now coming to the market. The 6th generation will be designed so good that they should work in moving vehicles. Hang in there. I have some the same issues you guys have with OTA even when it makes no sense.

That third-to-last sentence... hmm. I already use my Zenith HDV420 in moving vehicles. It's by no means WATCHABLE more than 5-10 miles from the transmitter, but I can usually get screen captures if I'm in the city grade area (usually within 40 miles of the transmitter for those who don't know).

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1097 of 8855 Old 01-20-2005, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

OK, I have to ask.

Why do you use your HD reciever in a moving vehicle?

Then again, if I were 16 today, I might try the same thing...
post #1098 of 8855 Old 01-20-2005, 05:56 AM

thats it! Screw the iPod mod for my car... I'm going HD baby!
post #1099 of 8855 Old 01-20-2005, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm convinced that at least half the drivers I met on my way to work in yesterday's "blizzard" were watching the weather report on TV and were so frightened by what they saw they didn't dare look at the road ahead. It's the only thing that could explain how badly people in Richmond cope with snow on the streets. My advice is stay home and watch TV.
post #1100 of 8855 Old 01-20-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SpaceBassVA
thats it! Screw the iPod mod for my car... I'm going HD baby!

LMAO HD TIVO in car, not thats something.

I had no problems leaving downtown yesterday left 5.10 form 8th and main, home at 5.45, about 5 minutes longer than usual.

Anybody else getting slight, and i mean very slight pauses and stutters in Lost last night. I have the HD Tivo and recently upgraded the software. Scared i might have incurred a new problem.

BTW, in referance to the theory about the weather, I had to point my antenna away from the towers when the leaves came down. Huge oak tree in my neighbors yard, with the leaves on it pointed at the towers with my SS and reception was awesome. When leaves came off lots of breakups, moved the SS 90degrees, and VOILA perfect reception again.
post #1101 of 8855 Old 01-20-2005, 11:30 AM

I'm relieved that other people have had weather-related issues. I guess I'm stuck climbing the ladder from time to time to make adjustments.

Question for mpark/everyone else: Do you know who is making "5th-generation" HD receivers? Is the new DIRECTV-branded model (the H10, I believe) one of them? Does anyone around here have one and can comment on its OTA capabilities?
post #1102 of 8855 Old 01-20-2005, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Originally posted by Keller
OK, I have to ask.

Why do you use your HD reciever in a moving vehicle?

Then again, if I were 16 today, I might try the same thing...

Why? Because I like digital television. I have a nice little setup for watching TV...

Laptop computer with a Hauppauge WinTV-D (for analog), with S-video and RCA audio input from the HDV420. All powered by a simple inverter. I also have a CM7777 amplifier hooked to a Zenith Silver Sensor for my antenna. It's a nasty mess of wires, but it gets the job done.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1103 of 8855 Old 01-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by brianufl
I'm contemplating getting this service through Comcast now that they have a dual tuner DVR but I wanted to see how those of you that have it feel about it.

Is the DVR fairly user friendly? Can you record a HD show and watch another HD show at the same time on another channel? How does it compare to Tivo?

Thanks,
Brian

I made the directv->comcast move a few weeks ago. Went from the sd directivo and a regular hd receiver to 3 6412s. Very happy with the 6412's. A couple little annoying quirks, but all in all it has probably moved into the same league as the directivo. I am pretty happy with the switch so far. Make sure if you are converting from a dish to cable, you ask for the dish buy back program. It takes about $40/month off the bill for a year. The on demand stuff is cooler than I thought it would be as well, especially with all the premium movie channel stuff, and it will only get better as they add more hd on demand. Still no local fox station though.
post #1104 of 8855 Old 01-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't checked in awhile - is there any HD On Demand now? If so, is there any free or is it all pay?
post #1105 of 8855 Old 01-21-2005, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Keller
I haven't checked in awhile - is there any HD On Demand now? If so, is there any free or is it all pay?

There are currently 2 pay movies(The Terminal and Envy) and a few pay IMAX short movies. A half dozen selections from discovery hd, and some outdoor life stuff that are all free. Starz had one hd movie in there for a while that was free to Starz subscribers. Hopefully the selection starts expanding soon.
post #1106 of 8855 Old 01-21-2005, 08:41 AM

my apologies go out to Richmond-area VOOM subscribers...sad news that they are giving up so quickly. Wonder what will happen to all that bandwidth Dish just bought...
post #1107 of 8855 Old 01-21-2005, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

my apologies go out to Richmond-area VOOM subscribers...sad news that they are giving up so quickly. Wonder what will happen to all that bandwidth Dish just bought...

Additional new programming and HD LIL, is my guess. Kiss all those "exclusive" HD movie channels good bye...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #1108 of 8855 Old 01-21-2005, 10:03 AM

Does anyone have an idea on a DVR that playback of manually recorded material can be started via a GPI input. Need to find something that I can record several 2 minutes segments then play them back one after another via a gpi input. If you have any ideas drop me a message please. Thanks.

Darrell Cheney
WRIC TV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #1109 of 8855 Old 01-22-2005, 12:25 PM

I am new to HDTV and to this forum, but have had a little good luck with what I've tried. On the recommendation of another forum member, I bought what he called, a "hot dog cooker" antenna from radio shack. It is catalog # 93-998 and is only available thru the Internet. The price was $14.99 without shipping.

I live in the Broad meadows subdivision and am close to Francistown Road and Hungary Road. I put the antenna in my attic on a rotator and am using it with one of the new Samsung OTA receivers (SIR-T451). I am getting 100% on all available HD channels (except for Channel 65) without having to move the rotator. Needless to say it works much better than I imagined, and am very pleased. I was using a Terk-55 in my attic, but was only getting 80% at best on all channels except NBC (which I could not get at all). I did modify the Radio Shack antenna a bit. It ships with the flat (300 ohm) cable. I replaced it with RG-6 coax cable. Hope this helps.
post #1110 of 8855 Old 01-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

How's everyone's Fox-DT OTA signal today?
The weather does not seem to have affected mine - seems rock solid and I'm really looking forward to some HD football this afternoon. I think Conference Championship weekend is the best NFL football of the year.
Also, the station bug is different - it looks like it's the local one. Maybe the disappearing blue one is for the national feed?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page