Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by dcheney Not to change the subject here guys...

Quote:

Originally posted by dcheney ...my budget so says the wife...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Robert...looks like you are in the same boat I float in at home huh?

Darrell E. Cheney
post #1173 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

dcheney, tell your wife you need a bigger allowance ;>)

On second thought, just don't show her the receipt.

There are some good reviews and comparisons at www.camcorderinfo.com. Their review section features shootouts in various price ranges. If you read them carefully, I think you'll find the sweet spot for features and performance is just above your limit.

This new JVC offers a lot of bang for the buck at $399, with features and performance rivaling camcorders costing twice as much.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2639544

The winner of the under $400 shootout is also a JVC, the GR-D33US, which Circuit City is selling for $330.

In general, Sonys are nice point-and-shoot cameras but command a significantly higher price for the same specs. The optics in the Canon Elura line are excellent, but they are also a bit above your budget.

Samsung is making a play at the low end, and their SCD103 is under $300. It's not bad for a basic camcorder, but it doesn't do too well in low light.

Choices, choices. But if it were a pair of shoes, your wife would say "They were on sale, and look how much money I saved by spending more than I planned."
post #1174 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by dcheney
Robert...looks like you are in the same boat I float in at home huh?

She's the boss. Somehow she went for my the 61" JVC HD set, new receiver, antenna (in the attic, of course) and HD TiVo...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #1175 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting that while we were here debating stretch-o-vision, WUPV-47 (UPN, 65-1) is broadcasting a 4:3 signal this morning. Don't know whether it's permanent, but it looks better.

Meanwhile, I'm still not getting 8-1 on either of my tuners, even after rescans.
post #1176 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

No 8-1 on Samsung, Mits or VOOM, with and without scanning - haven't tried the Sony. Good signal strength.
post #1177 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wtf no turbo
Im on the other side of the fence.I currently have comcast and im looking hard at sat tv voom or dtv.Why is it a problem to put that small antenna on the dish?Comcast with this whole fox deal has got me real pissed.I do hear that dtv has much better standard def then the upper cable channels.

It's not a done deal yet, but pending FCC approval VOOM is dead. They sold their only satellite and their South Dakota uplink facility to Echostar for a mere $200M. There's another Cablevision board meeting this Monday. I'm sure the drama will continue to unfold next week. SatelliteGuys.us has the recent history and updates abut VOOM's demise.

VOOM's exclusive programming was a little weak and their SD channel selection was not all that great. However, it was nice having so much HD to watch. Encore HD in particular was doing some cool things like broadcasting a weekend of James Bond flicks -- all in Hi-Def and OAR. Universal HD was also kinda cool. They ran the new Battlestar Galactica pilot in HD a week before SciFi launched the series. And of course there was VOOM's own Monsters HD channel -- Humanoids From the Deep, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, Bubba Ho Tep, Evil Dead, a ton of Godzilla movies and more -- all transferred by VOOM from film to 1080i. And the whole-house uCentric DVR they demoed at the most recent CES and were poised to launch in March looked really nice.

So, now I'm stuck in the same boat. I think I'm going to go with Comcast and their dual tuner DVR. If Dish or DirecTV does something interesting in the next year or two with HD then I can switch to another provider without penalty.
post #1178 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dcheney
Not to change the subject here guys but does anyone have a good recommendation for a MiniDV camcorder in the $200-$300 price range...my budget so says the wife...

Darrell Cheney

Darrell -
Sent you a PM.
post #1179 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 02:23 PM

no picture here in c'ville on 8-1 or 8-2. i get good signal strength but no picture.
post #1180 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 02:44 PM

8-1 is off the air? I have no signal on Hughes HDTIVO
post #1181 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

8-1 is as strong as ever here OTA on my Sony HD200.
post #1182 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 04:07 PM

man, that's wierd that you have a picture from 8-1. mine shows a good signal, but no picture. and it looks like i'm not the only one.

very strange.
post #1183 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Weird indeed! In fact, my signal meter for both 8-1 and 8-2 is almost 100 percent right now and the picture on both is fine. Maybe there's a lot to be said for being up almost 1800 ft. in elevation.
post #1184 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 04:30 PM

but i'm getting a signal of 85 and still no picture. fox, and cbs are coming in fine. i tried deleting 8-1 and rescanning but no help. i tried to add the channel manually and no help.
post #1185 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, I don't understand that! I had the same problem with WVPT-DT here in the Valley for the longest time. The signal registered extremely strong but no picture. Suddenly the picture came back one day when I checked it and the only thing I can figure was it was the station. Prehaps Darrell can help out.
post #1186 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 04:45 PM

let's hope Darrell can shed some light on this. i think there are 2 or 3 other people who are also having the same problem, so maybe it's the station. but that doesn't explain why you have a picture. very strange.
post #1187 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 05:06 PM

I have 2 setup for HDTV, on Hughes HDTV 8-1 is OK, on ATI HDTV , same antenna feed onto HTPC HP MCE 2005 no signals, I need a PHD degree to figure this out.
post #1188 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 05:09 PM

BTW,my mistake, I mean I have picture on TIVO HDTV but not on HTPC ATI HDTV
post #1189 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 05:19 PM

still no picture for me on dish receiver. get a good strong signal, but no lock and no picture. oh well i'm sure darrell will figure it out.
post #1190 of 8855 Old 01-29-2005, 06:19 PM

WRIC -DT has been on all day except early this morning.
On my Zenith 420.
post #1191 of 8855 Old 01-30-2005, 06:06 AM

Wow I've been gone a long time. Didn't even realize that CBS was available on Comcast. Last night I went to check it out and got nothing. Can any confirm it wasn't on last night?

Also, I'm on the southside (Hull st rd area). Has comcast released an HD-DVR for this side of town? Last I heard they were only doing that for the West end with motorola boxes.

Thanks
post #1192 of 8855 Old 01-30-2005, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Darrell, what is 8-1 sign on and sign off times? I've noticed that it's been down in the AM and then comes on sometime in the afternoon. BTW, during Desperate Housewives on Saturday night, half screen went to a pixelated bunch of garbage towards the end of the show. It looked like master went to upconvert later.

As for WWBT Stretch-O-Vision, none of what has been said here is new. There's a couple new voices but most are the same. This topic seems to come up every 2 to 3 months till we beat it to pulp. Again, it is out of my hands and I let your comments be known. I'll give it a couple more months till it comes up again.

Just as an FYI, when we do school closings it will look really stretched becuase we are stretching our analog signal slightly to get all the info on the screen. So this might be why you guys are noticing it even more right now. BTW, if a show is in HD you will not see school closings. We do not have the equipment to do that yet. You will need to watch 12 analog or got to nbc12.com

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #1193 of 8855 Old 01-30-2005, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The ice on the trees, and probably on the antennas, is wreaking havoc on digitial reception this morning. I can't get 35-1 or 35-2 and 12-1, 2 and 3 are in and out. 8-1 and 8-2 are missing in action, but that's probably the PSIP problem rearing its ugly head again.

Yes, once again we have beaten stretch-o-vision to a pulp. WWBT-DT is now the only station in our market still forcing the stretch on OTA viewers. I firmly believe any poll of this forum or survey of viewers shown both alternatives would pick the undistorted version. I expect the on-air staff of the station and the advertisers who pay the bills would agree.

As long as mpark and the Jefferson-Pilot execs like things the way they are, nothing will change. But they do need a reminder now and then that there are a growing number of people who wish they'd reconsider.
post #1194 of 8855 Old 01-30-2005, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I'll be honest here, I've watched digital TV from North Carolina to New York City, and WWBT is one of three stations I've ever seen that stretches its non-HD content. The others are WHSV Harrisonburg, and WWAY Wilmington.

I've seen every station in: Roanoke, Richmond, Raleigh, Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Norfolk, Washington, Baltimore, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, New York, as well as select stations from Wilmington, Greenville, Florence/Myrtle Beach, and Greensboro. Out of all those, just three stretch.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1195 of 8855 Old 01-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Trip in VA
I'll be honest here, I've watched digital TV from North Carolina to New York City, and WWBT is one of three stations I've ever seen that stretches its non-HD content. The others are WHSV Harrisonburg, and WWAY Wilmington.

I've seen every station in: Roanoke, Richmond, Raleigh, Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Norfolk, Washington, Baltimore, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, New York, as well as select stations from Wilmington, Greenville, Florence/Myrtle Beach, and Greensboro. Out of all those, just three stretch.

- Trip

I know of 2 more: WSOC in Charleston & WBTV in Charlotte. Both JP Stations.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #1196 of 8855 Old 01-30-2005, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The thing about stretching is that, regardless of the SD situation, when there's a program in HD, that stretching station still shows it in glorious HD fitting my digital TV perfectly. Also, in further defense of certain stretchers, and specifically WWBT-DT, it's stood up to the plate transmitting at full power of 860 kW for some time now; while many others have been at pitiable amts. such as 2 and 3 kW. But oh my, if I could just pull in WWBT-DT once in a while!

And for some reason, I can't get anything from 35-1 today, but CBS and ABC digital are fine. 35-1 is usually very strong, so it must be doing something.
post #1197 of 8855 Old 01-30-2005, 11:15 AM

OK guys...yes we were having some issues with the PSIP generator. With the channel switch on 8-2 and this PSIP generator and of course the weather being crazy I have been jumping back and forth putting fires out. I am having some issues with the Triveni PSIP generator where it wants to drop its output configuration periodically that causes some of you folks to loose the stations and some not at all. When the Trevini drops off the psip generated at the encoders will keep the video and audio tables intact but some receivers will not work with just the PAT and PMT tables. The PSIP generator is a new piece of equipment which like all equipment has its problems that will have to get ironed out. WE will have captioning on the channels as soon as I get my transcoder next week sometime. ABC News Now is now out and the StormTracker weather in place so any thoughts both negative and positive if you wish.

Darrell Cheney
WRIC TV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #1198 of 8855 Old 01-30-2005, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for keeping us posted, Darrell. For what it's worth, my two tuners are giving different results. The ATI HDTV Wonder scans both 8-1 and 8-2, but locks up without picture or sound when I try to tune either. The Sylvania SRZ3000 can't find either channel on a scan.

WRLH is also still missing, no 35-1 or 35-2 on either tuner.
post #1199 of 8855 Old 01-30-2005, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mpark
I know of 2 more: WSOC in Charleston & WBTV in Charlotte. Both JP Stations.

Let's start a pertition to get NBC to turn off the stretch! Seriously, how could we get the NBC managers to hear us?
post #1200 of 8855 Old 01-30-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by docchak
BTW,my mistake, I mean I have picture on TIVO HDTV but not on HTPC ATI HDTV

Odd, I do NOT have a picture on my HD TiVo currently on 8-1
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version