Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 8855 Old 09-10-2004, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pappy-
You do realize that 35-1 is currently off the air. When they return, hopefully they will be full power and in real HD!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8855 Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 AM

Yes, I know.

Before they went off the air, I could never get a reliable signal. Since I could receive the analog (and they didn't have HD), I didn't care. Obviously, I hoping things will change when they come back up.

My only point was to better understand the point being made about trading height for power. I know they both impact distance, but I'm not certain it is an even trade.

FYI - the smae issue ixists with UPN65. I cannot receive their signal, either.
post #183 of 8855 Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 277
mpark,

Do you carry George Michaels Redskin Report and The Joe Gibbs Coaches Show? If so, when do you broadcast them? Thanks. A yes to both would be the perfect answer.
post #184 of 8855 Old 09-11-2004, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I HAVE A TOSHIBA 36HF13. GREAT WITH HDTV BUT ANALOG LOOKS A LITTLE OFF. BEEN TOLD THIS IS THE NORM FOR DIGITAL TV. GREAT TV!
EASY TO USE AND THE REMOTE IS GREAT. DVI LOOKS BETTER THEN THE COMPONENT ON HDTV.
post #185 of 8855 Old 09-11-2004, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I HAVE A TOSHIBA 36HF13. GREAT WITH HDTV BUT ANALOG LOOKS A LITTLE OFF. BEEN TOLD THIS IS THE NORM FOR DIGITAL TV. GREAT TV!
EASY TO USE AND THE REMOTE IS GREAT. DVI LOOKS BETTER THEN THE COMPONENT ON HDTV.
post #186 of 8855 Old 09-11-2004, 05:19 PM

Darrell Cheney:

Have noticed several audio dropouts during college football today. Picture has been glitch free but the audio dropouts have been happening quite frequently.
post #187 of 8855 Old 09-11-2004, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisInRichmond
Darrell Cheney:

Have noticed several audio dropouts during college football today. Picture has been glitch free but the audio dropouts have been happening quite frequently.

Same here with OTA. This has happened frequently this past week and most notable during the late afternoon.
post #188 of 8855 Old 09-12-2004, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mpark
We were assigned channel 54 by the FCC with the plan that we will go back to what is now analog VHF 12 when we turn analog 12 off in a couple years. We are channel 12. We want to stay channel 12- 54 is temporary in the big plan.
As to why WWBT is not on the other tower: If you remember WWBT DT was on the air almost a year earlier than any other station because we are on our own tower. We also own our tower which could handle the side mounted DTV antenna. So why should we pay to rent space on the other tower and wait for them to build it? It would also cost more to transmit our signal down the road. We are not dependent on Spectrasite for our DTV antenna. Hope this answers your questions.

Bummer you are going to force all of us OTA people to maintain a VHF antenna soley for one channel. I personally would much rather have you on 54. I much prefer the performance of a dedicated UHF antenna over the VHF/UHF combo. I only use my VHF/UHF combo now for analog.
post #189 of 8855 Old 09-12-2004, 09:53 AM

Quick question which is the better the Samsung HDTV receiver or the Hughes? Also which one will pick up WTVR? I do not care if it locks, only if it will tune in.
post #190 of 8855 Old 09-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by secstate
Bummer you are going to force all of us OTA people to maintain a VHF antenna soley for one channel. I personally would much rather have you on 54. I much prefer the performance of a dedicated UHF antenna over the VHF/UHF combo. I only use my VHF/UHF combo now for analog.

I believe we are not alone in doing this. WRIC is also planning on doing something similiar to us and going back to VHF 8. BTW, we will have a much more robust signal on VHF 12 than on UHF 54.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #191 of 8855 Old 09-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by workinhd
Quick question which is the better the Samsung HDTV receiver or the Hughes? Also which one will pick up WTVR? I do not care if it locks, only if it will tune in.

I have the Hughes and it gets 6-1 fine and it shows it as 6-1 not 25-1 or 25-2. This is from the Directv Program guide which coreects it. The Sammy 360 has a lot of negative comments about it on AVS especially for OTA reception.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #192 of 8855 Old 09-12-2004, 11:13 AM

Hello out there.

I have sunday ticket, but the redskins game is not available on D*, anyone has the same problem?
post #193 of 8855 Old 09-12-2004, 12:42 PM

The "problem" is with the NFL and the networks. It is blacked out because the game in on a local station. I hope it doesn't happen at 4:00, because that game is in HD.
post #194 of 8855 Old 09-12-2004, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last year DirecTV didn't black out any of the HD games on Sunday Ticket, but this year obviously they are. Interestingly enough, the 4:00 game (Cowboys/Vikes) was also blacked out, but about midway through the 2nd quarter, it showed up on DirecTV in HD, but then after halftime it was blacked out again.

I was really bummed that the HD Redskins game wasn't on DirecTV because I had 9 guys over waiting to see it. Let's hope that FOx35 gets their HDTV up and running soon!!

Steve
post #195 of 8855 Old 09-12-2004, 08:51 PM

I just wanted to see if anyone was still having problems with getting WTVR. I have a Samsung T160 and for the past few weeks I have been getting a black screen. When I do a channel scan it locks in on 6-1 and my signal strength ranges from 93% to 100%. But the only thing I can see is the "Searching for Signal" message. Thanks.
post #196 of 8855 Old 09-13-2004, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mville-
Yep, this is a known problem with Samsungs right now. Sometimes if you tune to 6-1 and wait about 30 seconds the receiver will tune in the channel. Other times it won't.

Steve
post #197 of 8855 Old 09-13-2004, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpark
I believe we are not alone in doing this. WRIC is also planning on doing something similiar to us and going back to VHF 8. BTW, we will have a much more robust signal on VHF 12 than on UHF 54.

Ok thanks! For some reason I thought VHF was essentially dead once HTDV/DTV was the only game in town. I didn't realize it was temporary. There are a lot of folks accross the country who post here buying UHF only antennas to optomize their UHF reception who are going to be a little annoyed when things go back. I have a VHF antenna so I am fine as I will just plan on keeping it ;-).
post #198 of 8855 Old 09-13-2004, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13
Mville-
Yep, this is a known problem with Samsungs right now. Sometimes if you tune to 6-1 and wait about 30 seconds the receiver will tune in the channel. Other times it won't.

My Samsung 360 only gets snow for WTVR-DT. Steve, you mentioned in an earlier post that they were trying some different equipment that may help. It doesn't seem to have helped.
Are they still trying or is that it for now?
post #199 of 8855 Old 09-13-2004, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Last year DirecTV didn't black out any of the HD games on Sunday Ticket, but this year obviously they are. Interestingly enough, the 4:00 game (Cowboys/Vikes) was also blacked out, but about midway through the 2nd quarter, it showed up on DirecTV in HD, but then after halftime it was blacked out again.

I was really bummed that the HD Redskins game wasn't on DirecTV because I had 9 guys over waiting to see it. Let's hope that FOx35 gets their HDTV up and running soon!!

I just got email from D*

Dear :,

Thanks for writing. I understand how frustrating it is when the game you
want to watch isn't available on NFL SUNDAY TICKET. However, we're
required to follow game availability rules set up by the NFL, CBS and
FOX.

In general, you'll get all of the games on channels 702-719 unless:

- Your local FOX or CBS station shows the game, in which case you will
need to tune to your local channel to watch it. If you don't have local
channels in your DIRECTV package, you can add them online at DIRECTV.com
or by calling us at 1-800-531-5000.

- The home team in your area didn't sell out the stadium 72 hours before
kickoff.

In special situations, a local station may decide at the last minute to
show a different game, in which case we will change the NFL SUNDAY
TICKET blackouts when permitted by the NFL. If a local station switches
coverage due to a one sided or extra-long game, we will lift the
blackouts (when permitted by the NFL) so that you will get the game in
the 700's.

Please visit our website at
http://www.directvsports.com/Subscri...LSundayTicket/ to see the
complete game availability guidelines and how they may affect you.

Please understand that sports blackouts and game availability are
controlled by the leagues, sports associations, and networks that
purchase the rights to broadcast individual games. To protect their
rights, we must enforce the blackouts and availability mandated by them.

We hope this clears up any confusion and that you continue to enjoy
watching the NFL on DIRECTV.

Sincerely.

Well, I thought blackout use to mean the stadium must be located in town not by the TV signals, this is going too far, that means, we will not see Redskins in HD at all unless ESPN, MNF would be so kind, I would not bet on WRLH to do anything in HD soon.

I forgot to check 43-1 from Hampton all together, anyone knows that did they show the game in HD yesterday? If they did I am really bummed. Because I could get 43-1 from here but I was so upset that I am spending $219 for nothing.('')
post #200 of 8855 Old 09-13-2004, 08:36 AM

I am really bummed, with the run around trying to argue with D* rep, I forgot altogether that I could get FOX 43-1 from the beach, just finished checking AVS forum from the beach, they said they got the most gorgeous PQ during the game OTA in HD from FOX HD. !!!!I want to scream!!!!!
post #201 of 8855 Old 09-13-2004, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

quote from mpark:
Quote:
WRIC is also planning on doing something similiar to us and going back to VHF 8. BTW, we will have a much more robust signal on VHF 12 than on UHF 54.

This may be a number of years away, but many attic UHF'ers who dread putting a great big VHF antenna on the rooftop are not happy about stations going back to low channel numbers. The wife bless her heart says she won't mind, but those 50 mph winds we routinely get here will be an issue. In any event, I wonder if Darrell and Michael mean above 1,000 kW when the term "more robust" is used; or are we talking about less than that so that, if you're not in the Richmond DMA, digital reception may be marginal at best?

WVIR's analog signal is trumpeted at 5,000 kW and that's something we could all hope for (as 12 and 8 say the chances of that are slim to none and slim just left town).
post #202 of 8855 Old 09-13-2004, 10:35 AM

What's the latest update from Fox35 on when they expect to have 35-1 back on the air with HD?
post #203 of 8855 Old 09-13-2004, 12:43 PM

Bill,
The current idea is to submit to the FCC to stay in the Core at Channel 8 but I will have to tell you that we have a lot of work on the transmitter and antenna and transmission line to do before we would be able to make that switch. I am hoping that this whole thing drags on for a while as I already have too much going on to deal with this yet.

Darrell Cheney
WRIC TV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #204 of 8855 Old 09-13-2004, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

quote from Darrell: WRIC TV
Quote:
The current idea is to submit to the FCC to stay in the Core at Channel 8 but I will have to tell you that we have a lot of work on the transmitter and antenna and transmission line to do before we would be able to make that switch. I am hoping that this whole thing drags on for a while as I already have too much going on to deal with this yet.

It's easy to understand what Darrell's saying so we need to postpone this discussion for about 3 or 4 years at least. But I still wonder why a station, for the sake of saving perhaps much less than $1,000 a day, would jettison its UHF digital signal after having gone thru agony to put it out & stabilize it. The number 22 seems as memorable & symmetrical as 8 and viewers could learn to love it.
post #205 of 8855 Old 09-13-2004, 04:18 PM

Bill,
I unfortunately am not the powers to be that decides that fortune. I would love to dump out of 8 and keep 22 but the building it is installed in we do not own. The tower it is on we are leasing space on. The option to go back to 8 and be on our own tower and in our own building is an option that they have to look at. Yes we have spent a lot of money getting 22 installed and up and running but I do have to tell you that the 8 transmitter would be a lot easier to maintain then the tube transmitter that 22 uses now. I am constantly having to go out their to check on the two tubes that run the power output for channel 22. Its a maintenance nightmare. I have always hated working with tube transmitters.

Darrell Cheney
WRIC TV

Darrell E. Cheney
post #206 of 8855 Old 09-14-2004, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Darrell-
Who owns the tower that 22 is on? I thought this was a joint effort (and co-owned) by everybody that is using it.

Steve
post #207 of 8855 Old 09-14-2004, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Pappy
What's the latest update from Fox35 on when they expect to have 35-1 back on the air with HD?

Pappy-
Here's what I posted a week or so ago. Nothing has changed as far as I know. I edited my quote to make the dates more clear.

Quote:

Just to give eveyone at update to Rod's post from about 10 days ago, I just spoke to Rick at Fox 35.

The tower crew was supposed to start 9/7, but they decided to wait until the week of (9/13) because of the potential for storms last week. When I talked to Rick he was unpacking boxes for everything and working on getting everything HD related setup at the studio last week, then hopefully do the tower work and transmitter site work this week. His hope is a "week or two".

Per Rick - The transmitter is now operating at full power, but he as taken 35-1 off the air and will probably stay that way until he's ready to give the HD stuff a try.

Steve
post #208 of 8855 Old 09-14-2004, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I just snagged the last closeout-priced Sylvania HDTV tuner in Richmond. $99 at Sears for a floor model that had never been powered up. Hooked to a $40 indoor amplified antenna from Rat Shack, it pulls in everything but UPN from my house on Northside.

ABC at 8-1 and CBS at 35-1 are gorgeous. 12-1 seems to have a variable signal and disappears occasionally. I can tweak the signal meter until it peaks at 95, but it still breaks up and goes away from time to time.

I bought this cheap OTA combo mainly for CBS (which it does remarkably well,) and Fox (which we're all still waiting for.)

It's surprising that WWBT, which has the strongest analog signal, is the trickiest of the digital channels for me. Multipath?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
post #209 of 8855 Old 09-14-2004, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds like either multi-path or your antenna is a bit too directional to get the stuff on the shared tower (CBS, PBS, Fox, ABC) and at the same time get a signal from NBC, which is on it's own tower.

I'd also try it without the amp on the antenna.

You can try to antennas, one pointed to the shared tower and one towards NBC, just combine them with a splitter and you should be OK.

Steve
post #210 of 8855 Old 09-14-2004, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Steve. With a little twisting and turning of the antenna, I've found a way to split the difference and get a less-than-optimal but serviceable signal on all of them.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how good the 480i outpit from the ATSC tuner is on an SDTV. Looks significantly better than analog cable or OTA.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page