Huntsville, AL - HDTV - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2971 of 2995 Old 01-25-2016, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
channel 19.3 NEW!!!

I have been noticing a new channel which is 19.3. They have been testing using just a radar image. I contacted 19, they said they are not ready to launch the new channel or info about it. I asked will it be another weather channel, they would not confirm nor deny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2995 Old 01-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
I'm having similar problems with WOW. I'm using a cable card with a Ceton card in my WMC computer. USA, Syfy, and others have the copy flag set, which frequently causes havoc with recordings. I also have issues recording Fox 54.1 on cable. I also have a Silicon Dust Home Run OTA 2 output receiver with an indoor antenna that I use for that channel. I separate the OTA channels from the cable in WMC. I found that even with the priority set to use the OTA receiver first in WMC, it still has issues recording Fox, unless I separate the listings. Never had these issues with Knology. I've gotten to the point where I watch USA on my Roku, and Syfy using Playon. Syfy used to have a Roku channel, but not anymore.
I'd go to Dish, but I live in a condo, and we can't put up a dish in common areas, including the roof. My condo faces north and east, so I have nowhere to place a dish in private areas.
If a few more channels become available via streaming on Roku without cable (Sling, or Hulu, etc.), I'll dump WOW cable.
I think if WOW still had BBC America the decision to drop them would have been much harder, but their paltry channel list tied to oh-so-expensive in house hardware rubbed us the wrong way.

If any WOW employees are reading this: your company wants way too much money for your 'Ultra DVR' solution.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #2973 of 2995 Old 01-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL8N View Post
I have been noticing a new channel which is 19.3. They have been testing using just a radar image. I contacted 19, they said they are not ready to launch the new channel or info about it. I asked will it be another weather channel, they would not confirm nor deny.
The weather radar has been around for a while, but I was told from someone outside the area that it was yanked a few days ago. I guess it's back now? Definitely worth watching to see what they do with it. If they put regular programming on it, it'll probably look pretty crappy. According to RabbitEars they are running 1080i on the main channel and carrying Antenna TV in 720p, which seems like a total waste.
post #2974 of 2995 Old 01-25-2016, 05:49 PM

19.3 new channel

The fact that they would not confirm nor deny it was going to be weather makes me think its not going to be weather. She also told me that they were using the radar for testing. Why would you say that if it wasn't intended to be the future use as a weather channel? I do hope we get something a little different than the same old rerun type channels. I wished that 15 would turn up the juice. Everyone here talks about struggling to get 48. I am in Hazel Green in a forest and get 48. I made an antenna from half of an old screen door, a 4x6 treated pine board 3' long and some copper wires. This antenna gets better reception than anything you can buy in a store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24010_1285559378083_3588816_n.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1210218  
Tom Servo likes this.
post #2975 of 2995 Old 01-25-2016, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL8N View Post
I wished that 15 would turn up the juice.
WHDF is already at the federal limit of 1000 kW.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2976 of 2995 Old 01-25-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WHDF is already at the federal limit of 1000 kW.

- Trip
thanks Trip for info. I just noticed on TV fool is 15 is 33 miles from my home, so with my antenna facing best direction for other channels, I will have to live without 15 being steady.
post #2977 of 2995 Old 01-25-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You're welcome.

Also wanted to mention that since WHNT is owned by Tribune, were I a gambling person, I would put money on 19-3 being either This TV or Comet. This TV is owned by Tribune, while Comet is owned by Sinclair who did a reciprocal group deal wherein Sinclair is carrying Antenna in places and Tribune is carrying Comet in places.

Tribune also carries Justice Network and Escape in a few markets, but I suspect we would have heard public announcements by now if it was either of those.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2978 of 2995 Old 01-26-2016, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
WHNT Weather

Could they be bringing back their 24/7 weather channel since 31 has Weather Nation on 31.2? I remember several years back that they were broadcasting a weather channel on there.
post #2979 of 2995 Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Liked: 10
A follow up. Updating the Ceton card with Beta firmware cured the problems. Apparently, an update to the SA/Cisco cable card firmware sent out by WOW! and other cable providers causes analog (!) copy protection flags to be set sometimes on digital channels. Ceton applied for permission to remove the flags from the cable card people, since most of the USA has gone digital, and got it. I applied the firmware yesterday, and it has removed the problems. The Beta firmware is over a year old, and the only issue appears to be a very slow memory leak that will slow the computer over time. I have mine set to restart automatically once per week to solve the problem.

Here is a link to the Greenbutton forum topic that covers the issue. It contains a link to the firmware.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...101398#p101398

I don't know if there is a similar fix for the HD Homerun Prime, but I'd check if anyone is having the same issues.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
I'm having similar problems with WOW. I'm using a cable card with a Ceton card in my WMC computer. USA, Syfy, and others have the copy flag set, which frequently causes havoc with recordings. I also have issues recording Fox 54.1 on cable. I also have a Silicon Dust Home Run OTA 2 output receiver with an indoor antenna that I use for that channel. I separate the OTA channels from the cable in WMC. I found that even with the priority set to use the OTA receiver first in WMC, it still has issues recording Fox, unless I separate the listings. Never had these issues with Knology. I've gotten to the point where I watch USA on my Roku, and Syfy using Playon. Syfy used to have a Roku channel, but not anymore.
I'd go to Dish, but I live in a condo, and we can't put up a dish in common areas, including the roof. My condo faces north and east, so I have nowhere to place a dish in private areas.
If a few more channels become available via streaming on Roku without cable (Sling, or Hulu, etc.), I'll dump WOW cable.
post #2980 of 2995 Old 02-05-2016, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
The weather radar has been around for a while, but I was told from someone outside the area that it was yanked a few days ago. I guess it's back now? Definitely worth watching to see what they do with it. If they put regular programming on it, it'll probably look pretty crappy. According to RabbitEars they are running 1080i on the main channel and carrying Antenna TV in 720p, which seems like a total waste.
WHNT preempts Antenna TV for ACC sports on the weekends, and some of the CBS network weekend programming runs there as well (Meet the Press, NFL Today) when church services are on the main channel.
post #2981 of 2995 Old 02-06-2016, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafei View Post
WHNT preempts Antenna TV for ACC sports on the weekends, and some of the CBS network weekend programming runs there as well (Meet the Press, NFL Today) when church services are on the main channel.
You mean Face the Nation (the second half-hour). And I presume the first half-hour of The NFL Today.

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #2982 of 2995 Old 02-06-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
You mean Face the Nation (the second half-hour). And I presume the first half-hour of The NFL Today.
No, they air those programs in their entirety on WHNT-2.

It’s different this week because of Super Bowl pre-game programming, but look at the listings for February 14 and you will see the entire hour of FTN on WHNT-2. I watch it from time to time.

And yeah, I meant Face the Nation instead of Meet the Press. D’oh!

Last edited by Kafei; 02-06-2016 at 12:14 PM.
post #2983 of 2995 Old 02-14-2016, 10:46 PM

Whnt-dt 19-3

Consider this possibility:

They move Antenna TV to 19-3 @ 480i.
That frees up 19-2 for someone else in the market to share the frequency and take a buyout from the FCC, splitting that big fat federal auction check with the owners of WHNT. (WAFF? WHDF?)

Just spitballin’ here.
post #2984 of 2995 Old 02-15-2016, 07:46 PM

Competition with 31-2

I still think it would likely be a 24/7 weather channel to compete with 31-2. I'd read somewhere that the moving of spectrum around in the case of the FCC auction wouldn't likely occur until the end of the decade. It's a bit too early for that. I'm wondering if the FCC won't make a push towards ATSC-3 to free up additional bandwidth. The last auction coincided with the adoption of ATSC in the first place. Could you have an ATSC/ATSC-3 hybrid signal on one channel?
post #2985 of 2995 Old 02-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hopefully with Huntsville Utilities and Google's announcement on Monday we will be seeing their TV service in addition to internet.

I am tired of compressed video from Comcast and WOW!.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #2986 of 2995 Old 02-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post
Hopefully with Huntsville Utilities and Google's announcement on Monday we will be seeing their TV service in addition to internet.

I am tired of compressed video from Comcast and WOW!.

Mr Zoid
Depends on where you live..

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...g_to_hunt.html

(emphasis mine)
Quote:
Q: How long will it take to build the network?
A: Huntsville hopes most people in the city limits have service available in four years. Some will have it as soon as summer 2017.
And plans for Madison city haven't even begun yet. They're just now going to meet with Madison city representatives this week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really SUPER excited. Not many cities in the entire nation have this opportunity, we'll be beating MANY cities to the punch. But now it's a "hurry up and wait" game.

The biggest fear that I have is that it will play to existing monopolies.. I *only* have WOW available on my street, not AT&T, not Comcast, nothing else. If the new plan doesn't bring any competition to individual households that don't currently have it, then I don't see it dropping my rates any. I kind of suspect that while my speeds may increase, my monthly bill will likely NOT go down..

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

..dane
post #2987 of 2995 Old 04-22-2016, 06:56 PM

WHNT is running a promo saying that AntennaTV is moving to WHNT3 on 25 April.

Nothing stated about WHNT2, but Zap2It’s listings for it next week are full of courtroom-type programming.

Last edited by Kafei; 04-22-2016 at 07:00 PM.
post #2988 of 2995 Old 04-22-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Nothing stated about WHNT2, but Zap2It’s listings for it next week are full of courtroom-type programming.
The Justice Network?

post #2989 of 2995 Old 04-22-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The Justice Network?
No, it is mostly HD programming.

Justice for All, Supreme Justice, Access Hollywood, ES.TV, Celebrity Page, Recipe.TV, Judge Faith, America’s Court, The Real, local newscasts, Crime Watch Daily, Inside Edition, Access Hollywood, Celebrity Name Game, Cougar Town, Steve Harvey, Forensic Files, Cheaters.

AFAIAC, it might as well be a 24-hour test pattern. But I am sure some people will like it.
post #2990 of 2995 Old 04-23-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
No, it is mostly HD programming.

Justice for All, Supreme Justice, Access Hollywood, ES.TV, Celebrity Page, Recipe.TV, Judge Faith, America’s Court, The Real, local newscasts, Crime Watch Daily, Inside Edition, Access Hollywood, Celebrity Name Game, Cougar Town, Steve Harvey, Forensic Files, Cheaters.

AFAIAC, it might as well be a 24-hour test pattern. But I am sure some people will like it.
They just put it up on RabbitEars.
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=48693#station

Could The CW be moving there? Or maybe ABC?

post #2991 of 2995 Old 04-24-2016, 03:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Could The CW be moving there? Or maybe ABC?
No.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2992 of 2995 Old 04-24-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
No.

- Trip
Just speculating.

BTW, the Calkins-Raycom sale hasn't been filed yet with the FCC. What's taking them?

post #2993 of 2995 Old 04-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
RabbitEars is right, it's going to be an "independent" broadcast in HD. See the press release here.

It ought to be interesting to see if 19.1 take a picture quality hit for OTA viewers.
post #2994 of 2995 Old 04-24-2016, 07:59 PM

No Interruptions

At least Antenna TV won't have anymore news interruptions. I've been missing the full hour block of Family Ties at 9 pm each night. Also, there won't be anymore college sports interrupting the afternoon programming on the weekend. As for the scheduled line-up WHNT-2, they're going to need better shows between the sports events and news for viewers to stay tuned to that channel. I don't see anything in particular different from the syndicated programming that you see on other networks.
post #2995 of 2995 Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 PM

I see WZDX has a new subchannel tonight: 54.4 - Escape (http://www.escapetv.com/). It seems to have been there since at least August 17th.

Wikipedia says this is going to change to Laff (http://www.laff.com/) in the near future.

Last edited by Kafei; 08-25-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page