Huntsville, AL - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2903 Old 10-14-2004, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They're shooting for the end of the month, though as all things like this go, it may take longer. I've got the mindset of watching the Super Bowl in HD, anything sooner, is icing on the cake.

Edit:
Remember, this stays here if you don't mind. I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2903 Old 10-14-2004, 01:47 PM

Liked: 10
taz,
Thanks for the update and no problem keeping it here.
post #33 of 2903 Old 10-14-2004, 02:25 PM

I'm hoping for 54 to go HD in time fo the start of "House" next month, but January in time for "24" and "Tru Calling" will do.

Taz,
What are the plans for the Fox vs WB? Will the WB feed stay at SD? I know you guys here near huntsville would love to see some of the WB shows in HD as well. I'm picking up WTTO 21 out of Birmingham and they just went HD last week. It's sweet. I only watch one show of the WB but "Smallville" is a good one for HD. I just think it's amazing how they try to pass off some of these hot chicks as 18 year olds....lol

Lara Lang and Lois Lane are both HOT in HD....lol
post #34 of 2903 Old 10-14-2004, 04:31 PM

Thanks for starting this post Wolfie. I just got my first HD capable TV last week, and I'm soaking up as much info as I can. I looked at OTA for all of a day before I got really skepticle of my location making for a lack of reception and having to strap a lightning rod outside of my (also new) house.

I have Knology coming out next week with a Digital box, all setup with the few HD channels we get here. I assume that since Fox is broadcasting HD over the air, that knology can send it over-the-coax also... right?

Should I reconsider my cable box rental and go OTA?

Oh yeah, my TV is a 52" Mist' DLP with a built in HD tuner. would that make for a cheaper antenna? I'm spending an extra $15 a month for the knology setup versus sthe extended (analog) basic I had before.

I've read that OTA is a better picture than Coax. How can that be so, does the HD quality suffer because of bandwidth needed for the many useless channels coming across?
post #35 of 2903 Old 10-14-2004, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BB_Mike
Thanks for starting this post Wolfie. I just got my first HD capable TV last week, and I'm soaking up as much info as I can. I looked at OTA for all of a day before I got really skepticle of my location making for a lack of reception and having to strap a lightning rod outside of my (also new) house.

I have Knology coming out next week with a Digital box, all setup with the few HD channels we get here. I assume that since Fox is broadcasting HD over the air, that knology can send it over-the-coax also... right?

Should I reconsider my cable box rental and go OTA?

Oh yeah, my TV is a 52" Mist' DLP with a built in HD tuner. would that make for a cheaper antenna? I'm spending an extra $15 a month for the knology setup versus sthe extended (analog) basic I had before.

I've read that OTA is a better picture than Coax. How can that be so, does the HD quality suffer because of bandwidth needed for the many useless channels coming across?

I always suggest going OTA for locals. This way you know for sure that you're getting the full bandwidth the station is broadcasting. Plus, if there's a problem, they can't blame it on the cable co

Regarding Fox vs WB. I don't know what their bitrate is going to be. I've given my suggestion to them, though I don't know what they'll do.

I suggested: Fox 720p (15.8 Mbps) and WB 480i (3.5 Mbps),

post #36 of 2903 Old 10-14-2004, 05:52 PM

So, is there some way to determine what kind of antenna would give my a predetermined amount of quality in reception?

I've been to Antennaweb.com and it is very critical (and generic) for obstructions. Is there a way to determine signal quality, other than the naked eye? Having not seen HD, I may have a crappy signal and my simple self would be giving high fives.

Taz, your info has been most helpful! Personally, I'd rather not have the digital box. In the past, they always crap out after a few hours of using them.
post #37 of 2903 Old 10-14-2004, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're in Madison, you shouldn't have too many problems at all. Probably just a Channel Master 4221 would do it. Outdoors of course.

BTW, it seems the cat is out of the bag regarding WZDX over on tennesseevalleyhd. I won't be posting any updates there, because as I said before, I don't want anyone getting in any trouble.

post #38 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 06:23 AM

Mike you should definitely give the antenna that taz suggested a try even if you decide to keep the cable box. You'll also need to get a balun to go with it. The antenna is not that expensive and you have the tuner already. Plus Knology does not yet have NBC's or Fox's digital channels. Unless you're directly behind a hill you should not have any problems. I had the same antenna sitting on the floor of a one story house and was able to receive all of the current digital stations (even WAAY) without any problems.

Brad
post #39 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
So, is there some way to determine what kind of antenna would give my a predetermined amount of quality in reception?

I've been to Antennaweb.com and it is very critical (and generic) for obstructions. Is there a way to determine signal quality, other than the naked eye? Having not seen HD, I may have a crappy signal and my simple self would be giving high fives.

Taz, your info has been most helpful! Personally, I'd rather not have the digital box. In the past, they always crap out after a few hours of using them.

HTTP://www.antennaweb.org/

Input your information, and it will show you the directions the signals are coming from, and give you an idea of what to look for in an antenna. I live on Rainbow Mnt, and I get terrific signal from my OTA box.

Given that you have a built in tuner through the mits, I wouldn't even consider looking at an external STB for OTA.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #40 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 06:51 AM

Easy with the Acronyms guys. I"m still new to all of this home theater stuff.

What is STB? Signal (something) Balun... Well, what's a Balun?

I"ll do some shopping for an antenna. Mine is a one story house, but maybe I can attach it to the chimney?

Zoid, Is Rainbow mountain near Rainbow Elementary school? If so then we are just about neighbors. Any chance I could check out your antenna configuration, assuming it's similiar to the one Taz suggested for me?
post #41 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
STB=Set Top Box
post #42 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by mboland
Lana Lang and Lois Lane are both HOT in HD....lol

Cloie is the finest, though, by a wide margin.

Wolfie
post #43 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by taz291819
If you're in Madison, you shouldn't have too many problems at all. Probably just a Channel Master 4221 would do it. Outdoors of course.

I've also noticed it has a lot to do with the quality of receiver. I started out with an original Sony HD100 and it had lots of reception problems. Now I have a Sony HD300 and everything is rock-solid. My antenna is a basic Radio Shack bow-tie indoor, to boot.

Wolfie
post #44 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 07:53 AM

Go to Mack's electronics on the Parkway they'll have what you need. They'll know what you're talking about when you ask for it. Just to make sure, are you trying to manually tune to the HD channels or are you having the tuner attempt to scan for them? It's usually much easier to manually tune to a digital channel then move your antenna to find a signal. If your set has signal strength meter turn it on while doing this it will help. For reference CBS HD is on channel 59, PBS HD is on 24, NBC HD is on 49, Fox (not quite yet) HD is on 41.

Brad
post #45 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Easy with the Acronyms guys. I"m still new to all of this home theater stuff.

What is STB? Signal (something) Balun... Well, what's a Balun?

I"ll do some shopping for an antenna. Mine is a one story house, but maybe I can attach it to the chimney?

Zoid, Is Rainbow mountain near Rainbow Elementary school? If so then we are just about neighbors. Any chance I could check out your antenna configuration, assuming it's similiar to the one Taz suggested for me?

I live up the street from Bob Jones. I use a Terk TV55. When I worked at Best Buy I had heard a number of complaints about it, but I've never had an issue with it. To be perfectly honest, I just aim it at Monte Sano and it works great.

As for seeing my setup, maybe in another week or two. I'm in the process of moving my home theater gear to another area of the house.

Sometime next year, maybe around March, I plan on buying a new TV. The Mitsubishi 65515 is the set I have my eye on right now. DLP does not do my body good unfortunately. If I look at one for more than five minutes I get a blinding headache.

Mr Zoid

post #46 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

If I understand the splicer correctly, there is no re-encoding done during primetime (or during NFL games) when the splicer takes over. I'm thinking FOX as a network kind of sets the allocation of bandwidth for it's 'channel', and what remains is what is given to the subchannel (the WB), in a perfect world anyway.

Now, as the two signals go through the statmuxer, I'm sure WZDX has control of what gets what, which will determine the resulting PQ of each channel.

The question now is, does FOX, on a network level, impose a minimum bitrate to each affiliate?

post #47 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrZoid
DLP does not do my body good unfortunately. If I look at one for more than five minutes I get a blinding headache.

Mr Zoid

I've never looked at a rear projection DLP for that long. Maybe it's just my eye's but every one I've seen looks ugly to me.

Brad
post #48 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Montezuma58
I've never looked at a rear projection DLP for that long. Maybe it's just my eye's but every one I've seen looks ugly to me.

The newest Samsung DLP is the only one I would even consider. It and my Sony LCD are at the "front" of the rear projection sets. Just one mans opinion.
post #49 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 02:14 PM

I disliked the stand that the Samsung came with. I got a really good deal on this' 52" Mist' DLP, and I really like the Net Command feature. It's like having a universal remote included without paying $100 for one you can customize. Two words: Learn Feature.

Zoid. I am in Bradford farms, its nearer to Hwy-72. Believe me, I wanted to get a less costly TV, but I kept seeing the word 'convergance' and people screwing up TVs by trying to tune them on their own. That and they are bigger than the Eniac! Oh yeah, I see you included "muscle cars" in your interests... If you ever stop by you can check out my 1971 Chevelle SS. And no, it's not slow.

Wolfie, thanks for letting me hijac your thread.

BRING ON THE HD!

-edit-
I found out that Knology offers the 8000HD set top box which has the recording ability built in. I think that may sway my decision to omit the box and go strictly antenna. I hope it has a big hard disk.
post #50 of 2903 Old 10-15-2004, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mboland
Whatever the split I do not see a HD WB signal in the mix at all unless WZDX can decide who gets more badwidth on a given night. I would expect Fox to trump WB on any night that Fox has an HD program running.

Here in Cullman I get the WB station from Birmingham so its not that big of an issue for me but OTA HD WB does not look good for Huntsville anytime soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about them trying to do the WB in HD, it supposedly won't happen unless they are forced to by the network.

Also, if anyone is reading the thread over on tennesseevalleyhd about WZDX going HD, this is exactly why I haven't mentioned it there. I had no intention of getting a "It's never gonna happen....Yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it" thread started. Things can get out of hand pretty quickly. Not to mention, we don't need 100 people calling WZDX everyday querying about the status either, let's let the engineers do their thing. We can all call them after it's done to let them know we appreciate it.

post #51 of 2903 Old 10-17-2004, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Zoid. I am in Bradford farms, its nearer to Hwy-72. Believe me, I wanted to get a less costly TV, but I kept seeing the word 'convergance' and people screwing up TVs by trying to tune them on their own. That and they are bigger than the Eniac! Oh yeah, I see you included "muscle cars" in your interests... If you ever stop by you can check out my 1971 Chevelle SS. And no, it's not slow.

I know exaclty where you are talking about. My ex lives there in Bradford farms. Like I said, my main issue with DLP is that it gives me a headache. My other issue with fixed-pixel displays (DLP, LCOS, LCD, Plasma) is just that. They are a fixed resolution. When HD-DVDs are readily available, I'll probably jump on the LCOS bandwagon.

Oh, and I'm a MOPAR fan myself. My next personal goal is to buy a `70 Dodge Challenger and restore it.

Mr Zoid

post #52 of 2903 Old 10-17-2004, 01:12 PM

I don't have any Messenger stuff setup, and it seems my email address is "hidden" somewhere in my profile. Give me a call if you want to come check out my setup. I'm just sitting around watching TV now.
337-4473.

Oh yeah, and everyones a mopar fan, just most of us can't afford it!! I have 'Cuda asperations that will likely never happen.
post #53 of 2903 Old 10-17-2004, 03:35 PM

taz,
Can you give us any insight as to how WZDX is going HD. In the past we've heard from Joe it would be quite some time, and recently you've stated you had provided some suggestions to the staff to get us HD; just wondering what the path forward is.
TIA
post #54 of 2903 Old 10-18-2004, 07:34 AM

Quote:

-edit-I found out that Knology offers the 8000HD set top box which has the recording ability built in. I think that may sway my decision to omit the box and go strictly antenna. I hope it has a big hard disk.

You know. If Knology had that back in July I might still be using their service. However, supposedly Comcast will be offering a Moxi based recorder soon. Plus, beginning of next year, offering cable card service. Not to mention I have more HD through Comcast right now. :-Þ~

n0b0dykn0ws

post #55 of 2903 Old 10-18-2004, 09:32 AM

I saw someone post on tennesseevalleyhd.net that the target date for HD on WZDX is Nov. 1. Someone called the station and was told that. A few people questioned this, but Joe later responded that this what you hear from calling the station is the real deal. This all still seems to be hush hush. Maybe they don't want a bunch of phone calls.
post #56 of 2903 Old 10-18-2004, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey, athensresident, thanx for getting us back on the topic theme. We were starting to get off-track, if ya know what I mean .

Wolfie
post #57 of 2903 Old 10-18-2004, 11:30 AM

The cat now really seems out of the bag w/r/t WZDX going HD. Another person just posted on tennesseevalleyhd.net that they called and were told equipment will be installed around Oct. 28 with target date of Nov. 1.
post #58 of 2903 Old 10-18-2004, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by athensresident
I saw someone post on tennesseevalleyhd.net that the target date for HD on WZDX is Nov. 1. Someone called the station and was told that. A few people questioned this, but Joe later responded that this what you hear from calling the station is the real deal. This all still seems to be hush hush. Maybe they don't want a bunch of phone calls.

Bingo!

Quote:

The cat now really seems out of the bag w/r/t WZDX going HD. Another person just posted on tennesseevalleyhd.net that they called and were told equipment will be installed around Oct. 28 with target date of Nov. 1.

What, you guys didn't believe me?

BTW, while those target dates are correct, remember, they're just target dates. Let's be sure to give 'em some time to get it right if they don't meet Nov. 1.

post #59 of 2903 Old 10-19-2004, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, but let's hope they get it done a couple of days before, if ya know what I mean . If ya don't, I mean let's hope for the Sunday before the 1st so that we can see the NFL in HD. Or better yet, how about now so we can see the World Series the same way.

Wolfie
post #60 of 2903 Old 10-21-2004, 06:16 AM

taz,
Status please.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page