Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 2903 Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafamily View Post

Also...where can I get a Silver Sensor locally....??

A friend of mine is buying my old HDTV and needs an OTA....

I checked online Radio Shack, but they dont seem to carry them anymore...
thx
bama

I found mine on E-Bay.

I got 2 of the UHF only unamplified versions for $13-14 each.

lowdown256
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2903 Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafamily View Post

I just tried to watch a PVR of Monday Night Fox/Prison Break..
It is usually in HD, but not from last Monday....
Now that I think about it, there seems to have been some problems with a lot of OTA programming this past week..

Or is it just me???

bama

They had problems all Monday night. During Terminator, they were always about 5-10 seconds late switching back from the SD commercials to the HD programming.
post #1263 of 2903 Old 02-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Does anyone know if Peachtree TV (home for 45 Atlanta Braves baseball games this year) will be available locally (e.g. Comcast/Knology cable, DirecTV, Dish)? I don't want to miss over a quarter of the Braves games!
post #1264 of 2903 Old 02-17-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdellgp View Post

Does anyone know if Peachtree TV (home for 45 Atlanta Braves baseball games this year) will be available locally (e.g. Comcast/Knology cable, DirecTV, Dish)? I don't want to miss over a quarter of the Braves games!

Here's a starting point in your search.

Comcast / Charter Sports Southeast is carrying those games for cable customers. dishNetwork and DirecTV customers are out in the cold so far.

I keep hearing rumors of an over-the-air network of stations forming a Braves Television Network, but so far that has not come to pass.
post #1265 of 2903 Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

I stumbled on your question from browsing other forums.

From what I understand, the Peachtree TV games will be marketed to local TV affiliates in the Braves TV region (GA, SC, AL, TN, MS, and western NC). If your local affiliate doesn't pick up the games, there is nowhere to see them since every other outlet is blacked out. Mon-Sat on ESPN, WGN, MLB Extra Innings, mlb.tv, and TBS are all non-exclusive and have blackout restrictions within the two teams territorries. The only national exclusive games are ESPN Sunday night and FOX.
The reasoning of the whole thing by Major League Baseball is- each team has the right to market their TV games within their entire territory. Here's a map of the team territories- http://us.yimg.com/p/sp/tools/med/20...1150742098.jpg

I'm a Nationals fan, so I feel your pain. In 2005 and 2006, Comcast didn't carry MASN, so I was introduced to MLB broadcast rules the hard way. On the other hand, you guys have had it easy for so long by having almost half of the Braves' games on TBS. Now you'll have to deal with the crap that fans of almost every other team have to deal with. The best way to get to see the games though- pester your local TV stations to carry the games. If there is no independent station in your local market, start with the CW or myTV affiliate. They'll carry the games before any major network affiliate ever will.
Also, I've seen on different forums that CSS will not be able to carry the PTV games. Their footprint is not exactly the same as the Braves territory, and they currently lack the ability to show different feeds to different areas.
post #1266 of 2903 Old 02-24-2008, 07:46 AM

PBS is getting HD programming. The Jim Lehrer hour is now coming in full HD. Also, there was a program on a couple of nights ago about white ancestry in the black community and it was HD.

I also believe they are starting to advertise those ballroom dancing competitions again.
post #1267 of 2903 Old 03-02-2008, 06:27 PM

Mediacom cable in Monrovia has changed their QAM local HD channels.

As of Sunday evening 03/02/08 the channels I found are:

108.1 WZDX-DT FOX HD
108.2 WHIQ-DT APT/PBS HD
109.1 WAFF-DT NBC HD
109.2 WAFF-DT2 NBC WX+
110.1 WHNT-DT CBS HD
110.2 WAAY-DT ABC HD

Just wanted to let everyone know.

lowdown256
post #1268 of 2903 Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 PM

Why does the FOX 54 broadcast of Raycom and Lincoln Financial sports programs look so bad. I have seen these on other stations in other cities and they look quite a bit better. I even saw a clip from a game on ESPN that had been on Raycom earlier that day and the clip looked way better than the broadcast I watched (it was a basketball game). Is channel 54 cash poor and not able to do any better?
The things I am talking about are washed out looking colors and just an overall fuzzy looking apearance of the sports broadcasts. I am just tired of it I guess and wish that one of the other networks would pick these games up.

Jim Ed
post #1269 of 2903 Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 PM

I live in Albertville (on Sand Mountain) and am planning to go HD soon. I love to get the Birmingham stations as well and receive a few (NBC 13, CBS 42) in analog on Charter. My question is, how well should I reasonably expect to pick up the Birmingham and Huntsville stations in HD OTA?
post #1270 of 2903 Old 03-14-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimed1 View Post

Why does the FOX 54 broadcast of Raycom and Lincoln Financial sports programs look so bad.
The things I am talking about are washed out looking colors and just an overall fuzzy looking apearance of the sports broadcasts. I am just tired of it I guess and wish that one of the other networks would pick these games up.

I agree totally. There are qite a few shows that, honestly, look like crap on 54. The Fox feeds in HD (NFL, etc.) look fantastic but any local origination broadcasts generally look bad! I, too, wish they would clean up their act.

JN Porter
post #1271 of 2903 Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 AM

Yes the HD content looks great.

Last night when watching basketball the SD 54 had normal looking colors, the HD 54-1 looked washed out, and the digital 480i on 54-2 was way, way too dark. Three differnent distributions of the same broadcast and all three looked different. The volume levels were different too. And then when some local commercials come on they blow me out of the room because they are so loud..

It's just annoying and I find it hard to believe that something can't be done to improve it. Does the station manager not see this at home and think it sucks. Does he know that compared to others 54 looks like crap. I wonder if he has ever seen these games broadcast somewhere else in another city and thought, "Wow, that looks better than my station".

All in all, channel 54 has never looked as good as the other stations in SD. I think they must have bought some used equipment when they started up and just never replaced it.

I remember times when they picked up a ballgame and put it on their worst channel (54-2). I could have watched on satellite elsewhere, but it was blacked out because it was on locally. I wish they would not show them so I could watch them from a better source. Or maybe WAFF could pick them up. They used to show the SEC games on Saturdays. They didn't look much better, but they were better..

Hopefully the SEC will create their own HD network soon like the Big 10.

Jim Ed
post #1272 of 2903 Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 AM

HD vs. Digital vs. Analog?

Just got my first HD tv a few weeks ago. I opted to upgrade to the 8300HD through Knology. Here's my question.
The HD channels (>900) are absolutely fabulous as I expected. What surprised me was the difference between the digital and analog channels. The channels from 2->7x look pretty bad with noticeable noise and snow. I can't stand to watch those channels. However the non-HD channels above 100 look really good. I mean so good that I could be fooled into thinking they were HD if I didn't know what channel I was on.

So what gives? Why is the PQ/signal so much lousier on the lower channels? I thought the digital box would receive all digital content, but it's quite clear there is a difference between those channels. Is this something an amplifier would help?
post #1273 of 2903 Old 03-14-2008, 08:52 AM

The lower channels are analog. For the DVR to be able to pause, rewind, etc. those channels have to be digitized and compressed before getting stored on the hard drive and the reverse done before being sent to the TV. A little bit of noise in the analog signal that would be barely noticeable when watching the signal directly can end up drastically affecting the quality of the video coming out of the DVR.

An amplifier might work. It helped when I was using Tivo and ReplayTVs with analog cable. I had my cable split a bunch of times and that was affecting the quality of the signal getting to the DVRs. But it might not if the signal coming into your house is not good in the first place.

I'm not familiar with the box you are using but you might want to check to see if it has any settings for the quality for recording the analog channels.

Anyway you slice it though the digital channels will always look significantly better than the analog ones.

Brad
post #1274 of 2903 Old 03-23-2008, 07:35 AM

Do any of you live in Hazel Green? I am trying to pick up CW. I get everything else however CW is at 279°, whereas everything else is at 170°. I have a U75R and don't want to spend alot just to get CW.
post #1275 of 2903 Old 03-23-2008, 11:00 AM

All of a sudden I can no longer receive OTA HD channels. My Plasma has a built in tuner, and for the past 6 months everything has been working great. I could pick up any of the local HD channels such as ABC, Fox, NBC, etc. However, all of a sudden, my channel list has removed all the HD channels. I did a rescan and it could only find one, 31.1 WAAY-HD. I have no idea what happened all of a sudden. Any ideas?
post #1276 of 2903 Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM

BTW: for those from the old local forum, where I ranted on my failure to receive WHNT-DT despite all attempts, I got a new TiVo HD and it gets all the channels just fine (even some hints of WHDF-DT, despite a directional antenna not pointing anywhere close to the right direction). Somehow apparently the tuner in my old TiVo (DirecTV HR10-250) just couldn't get UHF 59. Oh well, problem solved!
post #1277 of 2903 Old 03-27-2008, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just a heads up in case anyone's running a Windows Media Center PC...

I lost WHNT about two weeks ago. After some investigation, I realized that my MCE 2005 PC had the wrong frequency mapped. It had changed to frequency 19 instead of 59. Sure enough, antennaweb.org shows frequency 19 coming in Feb 2009, so Zap2it (the data provider) must have jumped the gun a little bit. I did the manual workaround and it works fine again.
post #1278 of 2903 Old 03-27-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biiscit View Post

All of a sudden I can no longer receive OTA HD channels. My Plasma has a built in tuner, and for the past 6 months everything has been working great. I could pick up any of the local HD channels such as ABC, Fox, NBC, etc. However, all of a sudden, my channel list has removed all the HD channels. I did a rescan and it could only find one, 31.1 WAAY-HD. I have no idea what happened all of a sudden. Any ideas?

Could be leaves coming in are now interfering with the signal. You also need to check that your antenna hasn't been moved and all of the connections are still solid.

If you could give your location and which antenna you are using it might help others narrow down the problem.

Brad
post #1279 of 2903 Old 03-29-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimed1 View Post

Yes the HD content looks great.

Last night when watching basketball the SD 54 had normal looking colors, the HD 54-1 looked washed out, and the digital 480i on 54-2 was way, way too dark. Three differnent distributions of the same broadcast and all three looked different. The volume levels were different too. And then when some local commercials come on they blow me out of the room because they are so loud..

The reason it looks washed out is because Fox54's facility is analog-based. They are actually feeding their digital encoder with an analog source (a poor analog source at that).

They would have to pretty much redo their entire facility with digital equipment.

Network stuff looks great because the station doesn't even touch that feed.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #1280 of 2903 Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 AM

Thanks Taz..

Jim Ed
post #1281 of 2903 Old 04-21-2008, 07:21 PM

For some reason, WHIQ is scanning as D10-1 through D10-4 tonight. No idea why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APTV.org View Post

A tower crew will arrive the week of April 21 to install a new main antenna for Alabama Public Television's Huntsville (WHIQ) transmitters. Installation typically requires 10 working days. Look for updated information coming soon.

post #1282 of 2903 Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Sounds like their PSIP generator went.

My local Fox station (owned by the same company that owns WZDX) used to simulcast as WHIQ does. What they'd do is generate the signal at the studio for one station, then send the same signal to the other site and change the mapping information there.

It sounds like APT is doing the same thing. They're generating the feed for WBIQ (10-1) and then when they get it to the towers, they have a PSIP generator which overwrites the 10-1 with the correct channel. If that PSIP generator goes, you'll see 10-1 instead.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1283 of 2903 Old 04-23-2008, 01:41 PM

Dish has added 3 of the Huntsville stations...19, 48, and 54 in HD.

They up linked 15 and 25 yesterday for testing and may turn them on next Wednesday.

No sign of ABC channel 31 even being up linked for testing.

Info is from the up link report at Satellite guys. You will need a dish pointed at 61.5 to receive the HD locals. I have read that if you already have locals, Dish will provide a dish if needed for the installation coast or no cash out lay with 2 year commitment.
post #1284 of 2903 Old 04-24-2008, 11:42 AM

DISH NETWORK EXPANDS LOCAL HIGH DEFINITION MARKETS

Englewood, Colo., April 24, 2008 – DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), the nation’s third largest pay-TV provider and the digital transition leader, today announced the addition of eight high definition (HD) local markets: Burlington – Plattsburgh, Vt.; Greensboro – High Point – Winston Salem, N.C.; Greenville – Spartanburg – Asheville – Anderson, S.C.; Huntsville – Decatur, Ala.; Jackson, Miss.; Knoxville, Tenn.; Mobile – Pensacola (Ft. Walton Beach), Ala.; and Providence – New Bedford, R.I. In January, DISH Network® announced plans to enhance its HD programming line-up throughout 2008. DISH Network continues its commitment to reach the year-end goal of 100 local HD markets and 100 national HD channels.
post #1285 of 2903 Old 04-24-2008, 02:51 PM

CW 15 and PBS 25 are uplinked to Sat 61.5 mpeg4 but still in SD NOT HD and there is an existing carriage agreement on the SD (Standard Definition) so they will more then likely be added next Wednesday. Apparently Dish is not carrying any PBS or CW stations in HD yet.

When I added HD they installed a new dish pointing a 110,119 and 129. Now to receive the local HD for Huntsville I need a dish pointed at sat 61.5 location. I haven't seen any dish network dishes pointed to that location. From what I read, Dish has changed strategies and moving all the eastern locals to a more eastern location in the sky and suppose to come out with a new Dish to collect the signals from the eastern Sats owned or leased by dish. So eventually we will all be having are dish re-pointed or wing dish added.
post #1286 of 2903 Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 AM

WHDF CW and WHIQ PBS will remain SD for now. DISH is only uplinking the Big 4 networks in HD.

I have a DISH 1000.2 pointed at 110/119/129 and have an appointment to get the 61.5 wing dish installed Saturday May 3. It is $60 or a 24 month commitment.

The migration to 61.5 is called Eastern Arc. DISH is putting everything on 61.5 in MPEG-4. Eventually they hope to get everyone converted to a MPEG-4 receiver to save bandwith and provide all your programming from one satellite.
post #1287 of 2903 Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 AM

Is anyone with cable tv or DirecTV getting the Brave home games from Peachtree TV WPCH (formerly WTBS-TV)?

DISH doesn't have an agreement to get the Peachtree TV games.

Just curious.

lowdown256
post #1288 of 2903 Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdown256 View Post

Is anyone with cable tv or DirecTV getting the Brave home games from Peachtree TV WPCH (formerly WTBS-TV)?

Just curious.

lowdown256

My last channel scan pops up Channel 99 w/ a BRAVESVISION logo on the screen. Ch 99 used to be a scrambled movie channel.

brett
post #1289 of 2903 Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdown256 View Post

Just curious.

lowdown256

They ran an article in this month's ChopTalk magazine stating which providers were carrying those games (which seems to be everyone but dish Network). It's also on braves.com
(click on Peachtree TV in the lower left). DirecTV carries the games on 617. Huntsville Comcast has the games on 67.
post #1290 of 2903 Old 04-25-2008, 06:15 PM

Knology is carrying the Peachtree TV Braves game tonight on channel 99.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page