Huntsville, AL - HDTV - Page 87 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2581 of 2903 Old 12-09-2010, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If there are no new worthwhile HD channels on Knology at the beginning of the year, I will be going back to basic cable.

It's just not worth the extra money for the paltry amount of programming offered by Knology.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2903 Old 12-10-2010, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called last night to ask about making changes to my cable service and how it would affect my prices (I'm on a 2008 bundle, which is of course back to full price). They told me that staying on my bundle, dropping channels didn't matter, it was all-inclusive. If I went to the current 2010 bundle, I'd be paying more for fewer channels by 10-20 bucks. If I dropped to basic cable (ch. 2-13) I could expect to pay $22 for those channels. That's a rip-off for about 6 OTA channels and 4-5 shopping channels. I wish I could get Comcast in Madison city!!! At least there would be some competition and choice. Don't get me wrong, Knology has great continuity of service for all facets. I rarely have service issues. I just feel that their pricing scheme is all wrong, especially if sports is the high cost. Put all the sports channels in the sports pak (which must include ESPNUHD and CBSCHD) and charge $15-$20 bucks a month for it instead of $6 and drop cost of the other cable significantly. I'll gladly add the sports pak for that price during football season and then remove it after the bowls. Also, I'd like to be able to add/drop channel paks from a web interface like I can do features on my cell phone...
post #2583 of 2903 Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdellgp View Post

So, I got my Knology bill with the 2011 price increase announcement. Wow, almost 10% more for digital cable (currently $77.25, going up by $6.95)! Last year's price increase excuse was upgrades to bring more HD, and we got one new HD channel (MLB Network; I'm a big baseball fan and I hardly ever watch it). This year's line is "blame it on the sports networks"; nothing about improving the service.

Comcast appears to be leaving Knology in the dust when it comes to HD service. It is unfortunate, because I'm not a fan of the huge mega-corp, but when I'm paying this much, I expect better service (more HD channels).

I'm strongly considering switching to Comcast. I know I would lose HDNet/HDNet Movies by switching, but I'd gain other HD channels I've been wanting (such as USA and SyFy). What about Braves games on PeachtreeTV; does Comcast carry them somewhere? How is the picture quality on Comcast HD? I know there are a few channels on Knology that appear to suffer from over-compression.

First, we have had Comcast for a long time. Their HD picture quality (at least where we live) is excellent. Many of the HD stations look almost like 3-D on our 52" set. Presently we are receiving over 70 HD stations including the sports package. We do not have the digital package nor do we have any of the premium channels. In regards to the Braves games (my wife and I are big fans), yes we do receive those and most are in HD. They are usually on channel 400 or 401 and are not part of the sports package so you don't have to pay extra for them.

As an extra note, our service from Comcast has also been very good.

Hope this helps.
post #2584 of 2903 Old 12-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeeden View Post

I called last night to ask about making changes to my cable service and how it would affect my prices (I'm on a 2008 bundle, which is of course back to full price). They told me that staying on my bundle, dropping channels didn't matter, it was all-inclusive. If I went to the current 2010 bundle, I'd be paying more for fewer channels by 10-20 bucks. If I dropped to basic cable (ch. 2-13) I could expect to pay $22 for those channels. That's a rip-off for about 6 OTA channels and 4-5 shopping channels. I wish I could get Comcast in Madison city!!! At least there would be some competition and choice. Don't get me wrong, Knology has great continuity of service for all facets. I rarely have service issues. I just feel that their pricing scheme is all wrong, especially if sports is the high cost. Put all the sports channels in the sports pak (which must include ESPNUHD and CBSCHD) and charge $15-$20 bucks a month for it instead of $6 and drop cost of the other cable significantly. I'll gladly add the sports pak for that price during football season and then remove it after the bowls. Also, I'd like to be able to add/drop channel paks from a web interface like I can do features on my cell phone...

I went thru the same thing about a year ago, I was getting a bundle price which had expired and I tried to get some type of discount since I was a long time subscriber, since Cable Alabama days. The service rep basically said his hands were tied. So I signed up with Directv, haven't looked back since. Especially with free HD for life. 100% happy, no. During moderate or heavier rains I lose signal, but I got my attic antenna for backup for locals. Will I ever go back, who knows. Also heard something about ATT Uverse coming to Madison, but I don't know if that would be any better.
post #2585 of 2903 Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 AM

Hello all and happy holidays!

Just an FYI to Knology customers in the Huntsville, Madison, Redstone Arsenal, Athens and Decatur systems....

We now have all equipment installed and operating for the Local Forecasts on The Weather Channel HD (940). Looks really good with local radar, hourly temps - and you don't have to wait for "Locals on the 8's" for local information. The information bar at the bottom of the screen constantly gives local information.

Enjoy!

-g
post #2586 of 2903 Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 AM

does this have an effect on getting more HD channels?
post #2587 of 2903 Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamlazyboy View Post

does this have an effect on getting more HD channels?

No, this doesn't require any extra bandwidth since we already had the National version of TWC HD.

-g
post #2588 of 2903 Old 12-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrawford View Post

Hello all and happy holidays!

Just an FYI to Knology customers in the Huntsville, Madison, Redstone Arsenal, Athens and Decatur systems....

We now have all equipment installed and operating for the Local Forecasts on The Weather Channel HD (940). Looks really good with local radar, hourly temps - and you don't have to wait for "Locals on the 8's" for local information. The information bar at the bottom of the screen constantly gives local information.

Enjoy!

-g

Thanks for the update-- I will try this out!

Question; do you guys support MCards for Tivo for customers with extended analog cable who are wanting to get only the 'freebie' local broadcast HD channels? Unfortunately us Tivo users cannot manually assign CBSHD to channel 90x. The Tivo can however do that assignment with an MCard. But we have other analog Tivo's in the house and I'd rather not mess with Digital Cable just yet...

thanks,
..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #2589 of 2903 Old 12-17-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

Thanks for the update-- I will try this out!

Question; do you guys support MCards for Tivo for customers with extended analog cable who are wanting to get only the 'freebie' local broadcast HD channels? Unfortunately us Tivo users cannot manually assign CBSHD to channel 90x. The Tivo can however do that assignment with an MCard. But we have other analog Tivo's in the house and I'd rather not mess with Digital Cable just yet...

thanks,
..dane

Yes, we definitely have them. I believe you do have to have a digital package to get one though.

-g
post #2590 of 2903 Old 12-18-2010, 07:29 AM

gcrawford -- thanks to Knology for the Weather Channel HD upgrade. It is great to have constant local info on the HD channel -- good job! I think what "teamlazyboy" really wanted to know is WHEN does Knology plan to add more HD channels? I'm happy with my Knology service, but I'm missing a bunch of HD channels I could get on Comcast......
post #2591 of 2903 Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVViewer View Post

gcrawford -- thanks to Knology for the Weather Channel HD upgrade. It is great to have constant local info on the HD channel -- good job! I think what "teamlazyboy" really wanted to know is WHEN does Knology plan to add more HD channels? I'm happy with my Knology service, but I'm missing a bunch of HD channels I could get on Comcast......

Yes, that is a popular question and rightfully so in this age of new technology - even more so during the holiday season when the new tvs are flying off the shelves and into homes.

I am on the technical side of operations and am not in the decision making loop for programming. When the powers that be decide to add or drop channels, that's when I get busy ordering the equipment, wiring supplies, software licenses, optics and such. And I don't get much lead time. All I'm allowed to announce are the channels that we have already added. I can't speculate on future plans or channels that might be added. I hope everyone here can understand that.

But I can and do pass along requests that I get to management and I believe that you can email customer requests on our website.

Thanks for all the comments. I do enjoy sharing all that I can here and your feedback is valued and appreciated.

Best regards to all and Happy Holidays!

-g
post #2592 of 2903 Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM
DLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid_99 View Post

Does anyone have a list of clear QAM channels for knology?

I'll bump this question. Knology's webpage has not been useful in answering it.
post #2593 of 2903 Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 AM

Looking ahead in the Titan TV listings, I see WHNT 19.2 changes to Antenna TV on New Year's Day with a Three Stooges Marathon.

They certainly are being quiet about it; I haven't noticed any promos or other publicity about the impending change in programming.
post #2594 of 2903 Old 12-20-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafei View Post

Looking ahead in the Titan TV listings, I see WHNT 19.2 changes to Antenna TV on New Year's Day with a Three Stooges Marathon.

They certainly are being quiet about it....

They've treated it like the proverbial bastard stepchild for the almost two years that I've known of it, so I'm not surprised.

How much of the new schedule will be screwed over for swill like Dr. Oz and Inside Edition?
post #2595 of 2903 Old 12-20-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving1956 View Post
They've treated it like the proverbial bastard stepchild for the almost two years that I've known of it, so I'm not surprised.

How much of the new schedule will be screwed over for swill like Dr. Oz and Inside Edition?
Monday's schedule (01/03) becomes available tomorrow; I suppose we will see.

EDIT

Benny Hill marathon on Sunday, and a string of movies on Monday morning (no details).

And yes, true to form, they break in for 2 hours during prime time with fuzzy Dr. OZ in widescreen SD, news for geezers at 9 and Inside Edition.

I have never understood the appeal of widescreen SD. And I definitely don't understand Dr. Oz redux; they already run it on the main channel at 3 PM.
post #2596 of 2903 Old 12-21-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:

I have never understood the appeal of widescreen SD. And I definitely don't understand Dr. Oz redux; they already run it on the main channel at 3 PM.

What does tabloid crap have to do with a channel dedicated to oldies, and in Prime Time, no less? The owners and management of WHNT are schizoidal. Can you imagine WSM running a Black Sabbath block during the Grand Ol' Opry?

I don't like Wide SD either, (it didn't enhance WHNT's happytalk infotainment) and unfortunately notice it more and more. America's Funniest Crotch Hits now stretches everything, the three network newscasts runs a lot of stories with mixed content stretched, and RTV went stretched, which is stunningly idiotic.

More than once I've felt like my "new and improved" TV's are a step backwards.
post #2597 of 2903 Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving1956 View Post

... and RTV went stretched, which is stunningly idiotic.

The engineer told me my software was to blame (I watch through a TV tuner card).

Of course, that doesn't explain the stretching on out-of-the-box HDTVs.
post #2598 of 2903 Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
As we're in transition the consumer has to be aspect:ratio sensitive. At least one of my TVs has a FILL and Pillar-Box setting to show 4:3 those older programs. Personally I use them in different situations - on my PJ I use PB because I want 4:3 unstretched while I use FILL on another TV so that my RF-modulated DirecTV guide will be stretched to full-screen. Not a problem most of the time as programs begin moving toward 16:9
post #2599 of 2903 Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

As we're in transition the consumer has to be aspect:ratio sensitive. At least one of my TVs has a FILL and Pillar-Box setting to show 4:3 those older programs. Personally I use them in different situations - on my PJ I use PB because I want 4:3 unstretched while I use FILL on another TV so that my RF-modulated DirecTV guide will be stretched to full-screen. Not a problem most of the time as programs begin moving toward 16:9

Well, I really think the onus should be on the broadcasters to display the program source in its original aspect, rather than making the consumer swap settings back and forth.
post #2600 of 2903 Old 12-21-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:

The engineer told me my software was to blame (I watch through a TV tuner card).

Who told you that lie, someone at RTV or 19?
post #2601 of 2903 Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Well, I really think the onus should be on the broadcasters to display the program source in its original aspect, rather than making the consumer swap settings back and forth.

I agree totally.

It's easy enough (for me) to change the image size but it's the principle of the thing. It's laziness and technical incompetence to throw the image out there just any old way.

There used to be an FCC credo where if there wasn't a rule, you did things according to sound engineering practice. In other words, you acted like you had basic common sense. They still drill the idea into the heads of the hams, but apparently if you're on the payroll of a broadcaster, anything goes.
post #2602 of 2903 Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

LOL, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that 19 has a setting wrong.

I get RTV in the Mobile market on WKRG 5.3 and it is never stretched and I've yet to see content in the wrong aspect ratio. The only problem is the picture looks like someone blew up a 240p YouTube video shot with a cell phone. It's a blocky mess.
post #2603 of 2903 Old 12-21-2010, 12:25 PM

Now I'm confused. Is RTV doing the stretching or is it at the local level? It went stretched on 19 around this time frame:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1270393

EDIT:

I just sent an e-mail to RTV asking who is doing the stretching. Will post the reply if one is received.
post #2604 of 2903 Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I'm pretty sure it's local to WHNT. My local RTV looks fine.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2605 of 2903 Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 PM

Yeah, and it's an odd problem.

I can change to 19.1, and then to 19.2 and 19.2 is stretched.
I can power off the app, then power it back on and 19.2 is pillarboxed (as expected).
I can change to the WHIQ subchannels and then back to 19.2 and it's properly pillarboxed.
I can change to WAMY and back to 19.2 and it's stretched again.

Changing back and forth between the channels will stretch / unstretch RTV.

I was actually believing it was my software, until I attached the antenna to an LG HDTV and saw RTV stretched there too. So it's obviously affecting certain hardware too.

It's a mystery.
post #2606 of 2903 Old 12-25-2010, 08:38 AM

I just noticed in my guide that DirecTV has added 48-1 with the label "ALERT".
The guide description reads:
Quote:

You may have heard messages about the possible loss of your NBC station. For more information, please visit www.directv.com/alert

Answered my own question. Raycom and DirecTV have not yet reached an agreement. The current contract runs out on the 31st.

Brad
post #2607 of 2903 Old 12-26-2010, 09:45 AM

Liked: 11
Can someone tell me why Ch 19 finds it necessary to display road closing information 24/7 about 6" up from the bottom of the screen covering the credits of most shows.? Although this information may be important 24/7 with no breaks and thats not the worst part. They add a very large colorful moving very distracting logo of 19 News next to it. I could tolerate the crawl but that moving constantly changing 10" logo is just too distracting, are they informing us about the roads or advertising the NEWS and STATION ID.? How many people turn into a show anywhere during the broadcast that would miss the information if it was only displayed just before or after a commercial? How many people see this when they need it while driving, how many people are planning to go out after the show at midnight?
I cant stand it enough to switch to the internet. Which I bet many people are also doing. They will kill the cow with self promotion.
post #2608 of 2903 Old 12-26-2010, 10:17 AM

Long time no posting for me. Good to see you guys keeping this thread going.

I am at a cross roads of stopping to pay for cable TV. I will keep the internet from knology, but the cable just isn't worth it anymore.

Instead, I want to use my home PC as an OTA DVR. After this post I am going to venture down that path. What I wanted to ask you all is if you or someone you know has done this and what are some of the bad things I might be getting into?

I think my biggest loss will be ESPN, but perhaps I can get that on the internet? I would use vudu/cinemanow for movie watching using my (blu-ray) BD-390 wirelessly streaming.

Any help/insight would be great. Also, if you can recomend a decent Attic antenna for a home in Madison, that'd be great. 35756 zipcode, so I am away from any small "mountains".
post #2609 of 2903 Old 12-26-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
You need an attic FAN recommendation for your home in 35756 Zipcode? I sure didn't see that coming...
post #2610 of 2903 Old 12-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

You need an attic FAN recommendation for your home in 35756 Zipcode? I sure didn't see that coming...

Multitasking at it's best right there! I fixed it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page