Huntsville, AL - HDTV - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2701 of 2903 Old 11-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Kafei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems WAFF is about to make some adjustments. I see their construction permit has been modified.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....ion_id=1451741

If I am reading correctly, they will:

(1) Move to 48
(2) Bump the power up to 48 kW
(3) Raise the transmitter 25 feet or so

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=591

The expiration date is still in early January 2012.
Kafei is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2702 of 2903 Old 11-28-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AL
Posts: 2,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Interesting finding. I'd say the additional 7 kW (from 41 to 48) is in response to their lower RF (49 to 48) broadcast frequency in which the lower the freq the greater the power for a given service area (I think is how it goes). As far as my reception, I had something happen to it in April (after I lost trees) and reaiming my antenna just isn't cutting it - I hope the extra height will help me!
Andrew Hornfeck is offline  
post #2703 of 2903 Old 11-28-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 25
Posts: 14,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

Interesting finding. I'd say the additional 7 kW (from 41 to 48) is in response to their lower RF (49 to 48) broadcast frequency in which the lower the freq the greater the power for a given service area (I think is how it goes).

It's actually the reverse, lower frequency means lower power needed.

I suspect all that is happening is that they will move their digital transition to the former analog antenna using the existing digital transmitter, thus the increase in height. Since the former analog antenna probably has a higher gain than the current digital one, the ERP goes up.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #2704 of 2903 Old 11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Kafei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The service contour line would reach to Lewisburg & Shelbyville TN, but not quite to Florence.

I hope it is enough to get me the Super Bowl and Summer Olympics.
Kafei is offline  
post #2705 of 2903 Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Member
 
burdellgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like WAFF is planning to make their changes next Wednesday:

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/11/...grade_tra.html
burdellgp is offline  
post #2706 of 2903 Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Member
 
rkr0923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boaz, Alabama
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help or just a question I guess. Why is it I can pull in 54-1 and 31-1 at around 70% but get nothing on 19-1 and 48-1. Are they that low on power? I really need 19-1 for my NFL. I was getting them at a very low 29% but it was at least locked in. After the snow last week I get nothing. Did it damage them somehow? I've tried adjusting my antenna but still get 0.
rkr0923 is offline  
post #2707 of 2903 Old 12-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Kafei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkr0923 View Post

Need some help or just a question I guess. Why is it I can pull in 54-1 and 31-1 at around 70% but get nothing on 19-1 and 48-1. Are they that low on power? I really need 19-1 for my NFL. I was getting them at a very low 29% but it was at least locked in. After the snow last week I get nothing. Did it damage them somehow? I've tried adjusting my antenna but still get 0.

I'm getting a > 25 dB signal from 50 miles away for WHNT. I doubt the problem is with the station.
Kafei is offline  
post #2708 of 2903 Old 12-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
re_nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdellgp View Post

It looks like WAFF is planning to make their changes next Wednesday.

So they'll have a negligible ERP boost of 7 kW to 48 kW and a height increase of 75 feet. That's a rather small improvement.

They had a CP granted (BPCDT-20081216BKI) for 356 kW on channel 48 at 1889' HAAT. What kept WAFF from building that superior facility (8 dB better)?
re_nelson is offline  
post #2709 of 2903 Old 12-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Senior Member
 
re_nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkr0923 View Post

Need some help or just a question I guess. Why is it I can pull in 54-1 and 31-1 at around 70% but get nothing on 19-1 and 48-1. Are they that low on power?

Although I'm Dallas, I lived and worked (at WAJF radio) in Decatur years ago so I still have an interest in that market.

What's interesting is to compare the FCC maps and those post-transition facilities to what actually exists now:

http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_...lorence_AL.pdf

According to the data, WHNT was supposed to have 800 kW (on channel 46) but ended up with 250 kW (on 19). WAFF was to have 356 kW (on 48) but will have only 48 kW (on 48) in a few days when they make the change.

The only two really big (high power > 250 kW and tall tower > 1500') facilities licensed to Huntsville are WAAY and WZDX.
re_nelson is offline  
post #2710 of 2903 Old 12-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Member
 
rkr0923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boaz, Alabama
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kafei....I'm around 50 miles or so myself, what do you get on the others
rkr0923 is offline  
post #2711 of 2903 Old 12-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Kafei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkr0923 View Post

Kafei....I'm around 50 miles or so myself, what do you get on the others

Right now (07:20)

With amplification:

WHDF RF14 : > 27 dB
WHNT RF19 : > 27 dB
WHIQ RF24 : > 25 dB
WAAY RF32 : > 26 dB
WZDX RF41 : > 23 dB
WAFF RF49 : > 6 dB steady

Without:

WHDF RF14 : > 23 dB
WHNT RF19 : > 24 dB
WHIQ RF24 : > 24 dB
WAAY RF32 : > 22 dB
WZDX RF41 : > 19 dB
WAFF RF49 : > 5 dB intermittent
Kafei is offline  
post #2712 of 2903 Old 12-04-2011, 06:24 AM
 
BCF68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
48 kW for UHF? What a joke. I'm shocked I actually get this station in durring the summer at night here in Camden, Tn. Any station not using the full 1000 kW they are allowed should be fined. Heck there's a station in Nashville with a TRANSLATOR that broadcasts at 100 kW.
BCF68 is offline  
post #2713 of 2903 Old 12-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by re_nelson View Post

What kept WAFF from building that superior facility (8 dB better)?

A guess? $$$.
Tom Servo is offline  
post #2714 of 2903 Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 25
Posts: 14,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Any station not using the full 1000 kW they are allowed should be fined.

Not every station is allowed 1000 kW. My local CBS back at home (WDBJ), for instance, is at 675 kW, as much power as the FCC would let them have. They'd go higher if they could.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #2715 of 2903 Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Kafei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

A guess? $$$.

Heh, probably.

I see that they have done some more studio equipment upgrading, though.
Kafei is offline  
post #2716 of 2903 Old 12-04-2011, 10:16 AM
 
BCF68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Not every station is allowed 1000 kW.

My local CBS back at home (WDBJ), for instance, is at 675 kW, as much power as the FCC would let them have. They'd go higher if they could.

- Trip[/quote]

yes I know the rules but I also know that they could go higher than 48 kW. I'm shocked ot see not a single station in Huntsville is 1000 kW except WHDF which technically is in Florence.
BCF68 is offline  
post #2717 of 2903 Old 12-04-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AL
Posts: 2,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
@rkr0923 -- I looked at antennaweb.org using 35957 and got 2 Gadsden stations at 22 & 26 miles from there. Moving the "marker" over Arab I got no stations! I've noticed before that their site takes elevation into account so pinpointing your exact location (zoom in) on their map will give you really good results. You must be on a high point if you're getting anything! Elevation, RG6 Quad-Shield coax, a really good antenna (CM 4228 comes to mind), and a signal amplifier would all be beneficial. Let us know...

I think I finally fixed my issue receiving WAFF... I think it was a bad connection at my antenna. As a troubleshooting means I hooked up an old RS Corner Yagi I had abandoned years back for my CM 4221 (4 bow-tie). My reception was instantly improved using the RS so I checked the connection on the 4221 and the 300-to-75 ohm transformer nearly popped off the antenna with only a slight attempt to unbolt the connection. I'll check this later once I have another transformer to compare against -- although at this point I believe it was a connection issue, not a transformer failure issue.
Andrew Hornfeck is offline  
post #2718 of 2903 Old 12-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Kafei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

@rkr0923 -- I looked at antennaweb.org using 35957 and got 2 Gadsden stations at 22 & 26 miles from there. Moving the "marker" over Arab I got no stations! I've noticed before that their site takes elevation into account so pinpointing your exact location (zoom in) on their map will give you really good results. You must be on a high point if you're getting anything! Elevation, RG6 Quad-Shield coax, a really good antenna (CM 4228 comes to mind), and a signal amplifier would all be beneficial. Let us know...

antennaweb.org tells me I can't get any stations. Fortunately, I know better.

Take their report with a huge grain of salt and try tvfool.com instead.
Kafei is offline  
post #2719 of 2903 Old 12-04-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ProjectSHO89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I'm shocked ot see not a single station in Huntsville is 1000 kW except WHDF which technically is in Florence.

Technically, their transmitter is located just north of the TN/AL state line outside Lester, about 30-35 miles equidistant from both Huntsville and Florence. Their COL is Florence.
ProjectSHO89 is offline  
post #2720 of 2903 Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Kafei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I emailed the station; they plan to make the "transmitter changes" around 4AM Wednesday morning.
Kafei is offline  
post #2721 of 2903 Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
re_nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

48 kW for UHF? What a joke. I'm shocked I actually get this station in durring the summer at night here in Camden, Tn.

WAFF's soon-to-be 48 kW (as of Wednesday morning) isn't all that bad compared to a couple of others I've found. At least WAFF will be up at 1889' HAAT.

WBIN-TV in the Boston market is a full-power facility with 7.3 kW at all of 671'. That power and height places it far below most of the LPTVs here in Dallas-Ft. Worth.

There's also WAOE in Peoria with 26 kW at 695'. WAFF is a flamethrower compared to that!
re_nelson is offline  
post #2722 of 2903 Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taz291819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 5,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
FWIW, we can now (finally) air syndication in HD, the roll-out should start this week.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
taz291819 is offline  
post #2723 of 2903 Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Kafei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

FWIW, we can now (finally) air syndication in HD, the roll-out should start this week.

That's great news. I watch my fair share of syndicated programming on WHDF.
Does it apply to movies as well?
Kafei is offline  
post #2724 of 2903 Old 12-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Member
 
austinmm6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Market, AL
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For them to be changing frequencies tonight, WAFF hasn't said a word about it during the 4 and 5 news so far. You'd think they'd have a crawl going at all times since this will leave OTA viewers in the dark.
austinmm6 is offline  
post #2725 of 2903 Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Senior Member
 
re_nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinmm6 View Post

For them to be changing frequencies tonight, WAFF hasn't said a word about it during the 4 and 5 news so far. You'd think they'd have a crawl going at all times since this will leave OTA viewers in the dark.

And it's pretty well buried on their website. There's just a little menu link showing "Channel Rescan".

When KTXA in our market changed from RF-18 to RF-29 about a year ago, it was given prominence on their website along with constant crawls on television. Plus they had 30-second spots running at least once an hour.

I guess OTA isn't as big in HDF as it is here.
re_nelson is offline  
post #2726 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Kafei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, they have started. I am getting signal on 48 now instead of 49.

Signal strength bouncing between 8-9 dB.
Kafei is offline  
post #2727 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Senior Member
 
re_nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafei View Post

Well, they [WAFF] have started. I am getting signal on 48 now instead of 49.

Signal strength bouncing between 8-9 dB.

Is that with the preamp or without? In any event, it's still way down from WHNT, WAAY and the others. Right?
re_nelson is offline  
post #2728 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Kafei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by re_nelson View Post

Is that with the preamp or without? In any event, it's still way down from WHNT, WAAY and the others. Right?

With the preamp, still way below the rest of the market... but they may not be finished with what they are doing yet.

EDIT - 10AM: signal strength bouncing between 8-9 dB. No NBC programming in this household.
Kafei is offline  
post #2729 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
larrylwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Section, Al (near Scottsboro)
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Had I not logged in here I would not have known they changed. Seems they crawl everything and anything over prime time shows but having to re-scan if you receive OTA wasn't that important. They must think that not many people receive them OTA. I had to go to their web site and click re-scan to find the info. My wife would have just done without and so would my neighbors because they had no idea.
larrylwill is offline  
post #2730 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
re_nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylwill View Post

Had I not logged in here I would not have known they changed. Seems they crawl everything and anything over prime time shows but having to re-scan if you receive OTA wasn't that important. They must think that not many people receive them OTA. I had to go to their web site and click re-scan to find the info. My wife would have just done without and so would my neighbors because they had no idea.

Although I'm no longer in your market, it seems from afar that WAFF doesn't take OTA all that seriously. The rescan information isn't very prominent on their webpage.

Plus, the rather anemic power of 48 kW (albeit at a good HAAT) seems to indicate they're doing only what's minimally necessary to provide OTA service. On top of that, WAFF never built the far more robust 356 kW plant for which they were granted a CP.
re_nelson is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off