Huntsville, AL - HDTV - Page 92 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2731 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in Section, across the river from Scottsboro but on the Bluff. I used to get 48 at SS 100 now its at SS 84. I'm using a CM4228
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafei View Post

That's great news. I watch my fair share of syndicated programming on WHDF.
Does it apply to movies as well?

Yep, as they as we are provided the HD version of the movie.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #2733 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 02:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylwill View Post

Had I not logged in here I would not have known they changed. Seems they crawl everything and anything over prime time shows but having to re-scan if you receive OTA wasn't that important. They must think that not many people receive them OTA. I had to go to their web site and click re-scan to find the info. My wife would have just done without and so would my neighbors because they had no idea.

There actually was at least one crawl about it, it came on while my wife was watching Wheel. I would not speculate on how often they did it, or even whether they did it at all after that, I switched to watch stuff stored on my DVR for the rest of the evening.
post #2734 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Now I have a problem, I use Tivo HD for OTA and the new freq has no guide, so my season passes are trying to record the freq with the guide which is blank. I have to figure out how to use the guide from the old Freq and record the new one.
Anybody know how?
post #2735 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Now I'm not getting channel 48 at all over the air, and channel 31, which usually comes in very clear, is completely broken up on my computer's Windows Media Center. On my set top box and converter, channel 48 is also non-existent, but 31 seems to be coming in okay on that for some reason.

Is there a chance that whatever 48 is doing is also interrupting 31's signal. Is anyone getting in 48 at all over the air right now?
post #2736 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 04:54 PM

you have to rescan to get the new 48.1 you will now have 2- 48.1 in your tvs guide, however the 48.1 that has a picture has no guide and vers visa, I also do not notice any change in 31,1
post #2737 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 05:03 PM

still no 48-1 here
post #2738 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 05:19 PM

When you rescan your stations on your tivo or TV you will get 2 different 48.1 channels, one will have no picture and will have a guide and one will have a picture but no guide. Then you have to deselect the old one and add the new one to your channel list.
post #2739 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM

I contacted Tivo and they are going to change the guide data and channel data to the new frequency of 48 from the old one 49. Takes a day or 2
post #2740 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM

I had a scheduled recording for my Windows Media Center to record channel 31 tonight. When I check at the beginning of the two hour recording, the picture was all broken up. I checked back an hour later and the picture was perfect.

I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to access the video with my editing program because of all the errors at the beginning (it usually won't even load if there are too many errors) so I stopped the recording thinking I could manually record the shows in the second hour separately.

When I tried to tune in channel 31 again, all I get now is "no signal". I wish I had just let it alone. I am trying to figure out if it is some weird WMC issue, or an issue with the signal from the station. Has anyone else been having problems with channel 31 tonight?

I have restarted my computer and still get "no signal" for both 31 and 48 now.
post #2741 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM

31 went off during Modern Family. They posted a note on their Facebook saying the transmitter was down.
post #2742 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinmm6 View Post

31 went off during Modern Family. They posted a note on their Facebook saying the transmitter was down.

Yeah, it was up and down a few times during the 7 o'clock hour as well.
post #2743 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM

I'm getting all the stations and none appear to be down.
post #2744 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinmm6 View Post

Thanks so much for posting this! It came back on for Happy Endings. I'm glad it wasn't some weird software problem.
post #2745 of 2903 Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I did my rescan this morning and 48 came in just fine on my MediaPortal based system!
post #2746 of 2903 Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 PM

I'm still unable to get any signal at all for 48 on my computer. It used to come in anywhere from fair to very well.

On my set top converter, it still will only use 73 for WAFF which gets no signal now - it used to come in good to excellent - and when I tried to add channel 48 there is no signal found.

I'm in Madison and 19, 25, 31 and 54 all come in perfectly.

This is frustrating.

I'm tempted to move my antennas around, but the way they are set used to be best for getting all the channels and I'm afraid to mess with it if it's just temporarily down because of the upgrade.

I really want to record Chuck Friday night at 7pm on channel 48.
post #2747 of 2903 Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie1111 View Post

I'm still unable to get any signal at all for 48 on my computer. It used to come in anywhere from fair to very well.

Have you called WAFF? They may have an engineer on site who would be willing to help you. I'm just speculating because I'm out of the market. According to the web page, the number for reception problems is (256) 533-4848.

Here in Dallas, the engineers went out their way to help troubleshoot reception problems when the transition occurred. More recently, when KTXA changed from RF-18 to 29, they had a phone bank to assist viewers.
post #2748 of 2903 Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie1111 View Post

On my set top converter, it still will only use 73 for WAFF which gets no signal now - it used to come in good to excellent - and when I tried to add channel 48 there is no signal found.

I'm in Madison and 19, 25, 31 and 54 all come in perfectly.

This is frustrating.

I'm tempted to move my antennas around, but the way they are set used to be best for getting all the channels and I'm afraid to mess with it if it's just temporarily down because of the upgrade.

I really want to record Chuck Friday night at 7pm on channel 48.

As I type, I am getting a 15 dB signal on RF 48 - not good enough to watch, but good enough to get PSIP info from. I imagine it's due to atmospheric conditions though; I’m also getting WFIQ without even being pointed in that direction and something trying to come in on RF 33, which I am guessing is WCFT in Tuscaloosa.
post #2749 of 2903 Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by re_nelson View Post

Have you called WAFF? They may have an engineer on site who would be willing to help you. I'm just speculating because I'm out of the market. According to the web page, the number for reception problems is (256) 533-4848.

Here in Dallas, the engineers went out their way to help troubleshoot reception problems when the transition occurred. More recently, when KTXA changed from RF-18 to 29, they had a phone bank to assist viewers.

Thank you for that. I wasn't able to reach an engineer, but after countless scans, repositioning, and re-scans I am finally getting WAFF on channel 073 on my converter box. It breaks up a little, but at least it is coming in. (Signal strength has been 0 for days.)

The person who answered the phone number listed above said they have been getting a lot of calls from people unable to tune in the station since the upgrade.

I still haven't been able to get any signal for 48 on my computer tv tuner, no matter where I position the antenna.

Also, thank you Kafei for your reply. I hope your signal improves.
post #2750 of 2903 Old 12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

You might consider DELETING the current channel 48 from your computer and then attempt a rescan. I did have somewhat of an issue with that myself on my MediaPortal-based system. In my case, I had difficulty getting it to see the "new" 48 on RF-48 because it already knew of a channel 48 (eventhough it was on RF-49), and once I deleted the station so went all the scheduled recordings assigned to it. After I did the rescan I had to scroll through my guide adding back the NBC shows I want recorded.

When you say "on your computer" just what software application are you trying to use?

Also, did you read my post above where I "fixed" a connection on my antenna? What are you using? I'd suggest disconnecting the parts and reassembling them. Since 48 is broadcasting on the highest RF frequency we receive it's critical the losses are minimal.
post #2751 of 2903 Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

You might consider DELETING the current channel 48 from your computer and then attempt a rescan. I did have somewhat of an issue with that myself on my MediaPortal-based system. In my case, I had difficulty getting it to see the "new" 48 on RF-48 because it already knew of a channel 48 (eventhough it was on RF-49), and once I deleted the station so went all the scheduled recordings assigned to it. After I did the rescan I had to scroll through my guide adding back the NBC shows I want recorded.

When you say "on your computer" just what software application are you trying to use?

Also, did you read my post above where I "fixed" a connection on my antenna? What are you using? I'd suggest disconnecting the parts and reassembling them. Since 48 is broadcasting on the highest RF frequency we receive it's critical the losses are minimal.

My computer tuner uses Windows Media Center which is the most annoying software I have. I haven't found any way to delete a specific channel. I deleted any NBC scheduled recordings and then went through the whole set up procedure again. I still get everything but WAFF.

My antenna is a simple one from radio shack which used to work even better than the one I have for my set top recorder, plus it sits a couple feet higher so it really should get at least as good a signal as the other one.

Do you mean that it could make a difference for me to unscrew the antenna connections and then reattach them?
post #2752 of 2903 Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The antenna connections is what I did when I had a known poor signal - just pointing that out. In your case I'd not fool with that just yet as it's a WMC issue.

I too have had to come over to the world of WMC as I'm preparing to dump DirecTV for a MediaCom CableCard + HDHomeRun Prime which only WMC & MythTV (Linix-based) currently support. I was trying to address this rescan issue last night (1:45 am) and again this morning.

Finally this morning I got it ALL worked out! I'd found in the Settings/TV there's a place under Guide to ADD missing channels - you can go there and add 48 1 and assign any characters to the Name and Save... then there's a place to Edit Channels - go there, scroll down and highlight YOUR new channel and you can do a Preview (shows as a ghosted background image) from the left-hand column. This will show you (assuming your signal strength is as it was on Tuesday or better) that you can tune YOUR new (missing) channel (RF-48) that you added! (Confidence builder! **Yea**) But this is just a teaser...

I found that doing a RESCAN, even if you DELETE the existing channels (on that menu page) doesn't clear out what WMC already believes are your current stations (possibly because they are linked to GUIDE information) and will not erase them automatically. You must do this yourself ahead of the rescan. So.... go back to where we were, in Settings, TV, GUIDE, EDIT channels and do a CLEAR ALL (left hand column). All the channels will be UNchecked (meaning they will no longer show up in your GUIDE). GREAT.... Now BACK up to ADD MISSING channels and DELETE your channel and save (you don't need that one lying around dirtying up the place). Now go to TV SIGNAL which this time it either knows of no channels or delete them here (I can't recall). It's at this point your WMC is completely free of any channels/guide relationships it once knew and is ready for you to do the START SCAN and this time you'll have a prestine scan!

I found this through trial and error. I wrote this instruction/post leaving in the step about adding the missing channel because it's good to know that WMC has a way to just "direct enter" a channel's RF and try to tune it! Sure, you'll have to get it back out but it's a quick verification that you'll get there! Apparently, the CLEAR ALL under Edit Channels is a key operation in preparing for the rescan -- I can't say how that would effect your scheduled programming and you may want try this once without the CLEAR ALL by simply unchecking the 48-1, 48-2 & 48-3 at that Edit Channels menu to minimize impacting your entire recording schedule. I can't say if such a "partial" clearing would work the same. It seems WMC needs to have the guide disassociated from the channels before it can reassociate "new" channels found during a scan with guide information - almost a circular reference but it's not.

On my system now I have all the correct channels/frequencies, guide data and no remnants lying around in my ADD MISSING CHANNELS buffer.

I hope this was clear enough, specific enough to help you... let us know :-)
post #2753 of 2903 Old 12-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Well, I've emailed WAFF a link to my TV Fool report. At this point, the only thing that will help me is some more electricity going up the transmitter tower.

It's hell being on the fringe - especially when you are inside the service contour and outside the marketing DMA.

EDIT - I got a same day email response back from one of the engineers at WAFF. They are making further changes one day next week (switching to another antenna).
post #2754 of 2903 Old 12-12-2011, 05:32 AM

WAAY-31 news is now in HD, as they have been promoting for the last several weeks. Not sure if WZDX-54's 9:00 news (which WAAY produces) has been upgraded as well.
post #2755 of 2903 Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 PM

FWIW, a week has passed and I notice no difference in signal. It would seem that the WAFF engineer was blowing smoke.

I've been playing with TV Fool... if I went up to a 100 foot tower here, I could pull WAFF back over the cliff, or WSMV in Nashville. That's a lot of work just to pick up NBC and the rest of Huntsville's low power stations. Jeez, at that height I could get the low power station in Lewisburg TN.

TV Fool projection at 100 feet

I guess I'll just keep telling the Nielsen people I don't get NBC.
post #2756 of 2903 Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

I guess I'll just keep telling the Nielsen people I don't get NBC.

You live in a very hilly section of the state and you live nearer to the bottom of the hills than the top what do you expect?
post #2757 of 2903 Old 12-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

You live in a very hilly section of the state and you live nearer to the bottom of the hills than the top what do you expect?

If he got it in the analog days he should get it in the digital age. I think that standard should apply to everyone as much as possible.

I'd be upset, too, if I were one who lost programming after the switchover. (I gained five stations at my rural MS location when the switch happened.)
post #2758 of 2903 Old 12-18-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

If he got it in the analog days he should get it in the digital age. I think that standard should apply to everyone as much as possible.

Considering that many stations were low-VHF and are now UHF makes that impossible. Low-VHF would travel over the hills better. Also analog you would get a graduallly degrading signal until you got nothing in. Digital doens't work that way. You either get a picture or you don't. It's called the cliff effect.

Also "getting in" a signal with analog means different things to differemnt people. To some people even the most barely detectable 90% snowy signal in analog was considered "getting it in". As I said since digital is all or nothing it's impossible to replicate that in digital.
post #2759 of 2903 Old 12-18-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

I just expected them to stick to their planned 356 kW transmitter. The other stations in the market are capable, why shouldn't the NBC affiliate be?

As for the TV Fool report, keep in mind that it does anonymize the data somewhat. That is not my precise lat and long - it's just in the general neighborhood. You can't really infer that I live at the bottom of a hill from it. If I lived at the bottom of a hill, do you really think I could pick up the rest of the market with such clarity and regularity?

From my vantage point at the so-called bottom of the hill just 10 minutes ago:

post #2760 of 2903 Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:

I just expected them to stick to their planned 356 kW transmitter. The other stations in the market are capable, why shouldn't the NBC affiliate be?

As for the TV Fool report, keep in mind that it does anonymize the data somewhat. That is not my precise lat and long - it's just in the general neighborhood. You can't really infer that I live at the bottom of a hill from it. If I lived at the bottom of a hill, do you really think I could pick up the rest of the market with such clarity and regularity?

Well you don't have to be at the bottom even to have recpetion issues. You have hills all around you so unless you live at the top of the hills you're going to have issues.

Sure going up to 356 kW would help but still only brings your NM(dB) at 20 feet from -15.1 to -5.7 even if they boosted up to 1000 kW it would only bring it up to -1.2

Yes tvfool cuts off the lat and long after 2 decimal places but using triangulation one can zero in on one's location more precisely. The fact is you have 1000-1100 foot hills just a mile to the south of you and that's blocking your singal because the people that live there have great signals. You're area isn't even 800 feet.

For example here a house maybe what maybe a couple miles from your location give or take. Look at his TVfool results from just 10 feet. Obviously he's not dealing with your issues. So them boosting the signal up as I said will help but most of the boosted signal will be blocked by the hills like the ones your neighbor lives on.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...4033d35ffa792b
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page