Huntsville, AL - HDTV - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 2903 Old 02-02-2014, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Directv has lit up 398 for the Super Bowl. May not be a fix for everyone but it helps.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2903 Old 02-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Fox 54 HD looks like 16X9 SD on DISH and OTA.

Not good for the Super Bowl.

No backup channel in HD on DISH.

lowdown256
post #2883 of 2903 Old 02-02-2014, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the tip on Directv channel.....unbeleivable that the local affiliate would screw this up?
post #2884 of 2903 Old 02-02-2014, 04:19 PM

I'll hold out on blaming them for the moment. Fox uses a system where they have more control over their signal than other networks do on their respective channels. I'm sure WZDX had to give permission to light up the national feed. So I'll give them props for that. Though I think they could have been a bit better communicating the issue to viewers.

Brad
post #2885 of 2903 Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
FOX 54 just went blank for a minute and came back on in HD, so the Super Bowl is now watchable.
post #2886 of 2903 Old 02-02-2014, 05:52 PM

FOX 54 is back in HD on DISH and OTA.

Why couldn't this have been fixed this afternoon before the Super Bowl?

lowdown256
post #2887 of 2903 Old 02-18-2014, 10:13 AM

Liked: 13
Trip, are you still hanging out on this thread? I was manually inputting channels yesterday to see if any new channels popped up. None did but I did come across several channels that locked in at 70% or greater w/out a picture. Any idea what that would mean?

brettwf
post #2888 of 2903 Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Yep, still here. What channels gave you that result, and who manfactured your TV?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2889 of 2903 Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Yep, still here. What channels gave you that result, and who manfactured your TV?

- Trip

Sony A-2000 (60" RP HDTV). Digital channels 2 thru 9 all showed a 41% signal but no picture. I think 17.1 and .2 locked in at 90% signal but no picture. I will try to remember to recheck tonight to see which other channels had a strong lockable signal and antenna model.

Brettwf
post #2890 of 2903 Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I live in Section across from Scottsboro and I also get about 5 stations with 80% signal but no picture.
post #2891 of 2903 Old 02-19-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Not sure what would account for all of those channels showing signal, nor signal from channel 17 (though Three Angels Broadcasting has a permit to move their channel 38 analog to channel 17 digital).

I will be interested to hear the complete list.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2892 of 2903 Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Computer upgrades and Olympics kept me from rerunning channels last night but the antenna is an Antennacraft HDX 1000. Essex (Bargain Hunt) in HSV has a bunch of them for $10. Definitely works better than the amplified indoor antenna. I printed out the available channels from antennaweb and nothing should be showing up where I am seeing signals. It may be the wkend before I can manually run back thru the channels.

brettwf
post #2893 of 2903 Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Could it be cable leakage?
post #2894 of 2903 Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwf View Post

I printed out the available channels from antennaweb and nothing should be showing up where I am seeing signals. It may be the wkend before I can manually run back thru the channels.
/quote]

Looks like the channels wi/ strong signal but no picture are channels where the broadcast is on X.3 and X.4 instead of X.1 and .2.

brettwf
post #2895 of 2903 Old 02-22-2014, 07:26 AM

Has anyone else noticed that WAAY is finally broadcasting 5.1 audio? For a few months they sounded almost like they were broadcasting in mono, horrible sound. I was experimenting with OTA reception the other day and noticed the 5.1 sound. I switched back to WOW cable and found the same thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #2896 of 2903 Old 02-22-2014, 12:29 PM

I hadn’t noticed, but I will confirm it:

Used to say “DD2CH” before.

This is welcome news indeed.
post #2897 of 2903 Old 02-22-2014, 05:25 PM

While I am here:

Is anyone else having problems with WHDF over-the-air? I get 20dB signal, but I get no sound or picture - a silent, black screen.
post #2898 of 2903 Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 PM
DLK

WideOpenWallet update....

The Cisco HD Digital Transport Adapter supplied by WOW appears to function as advertised. However, if you are using the coax output (as opposed to the HDMI output), it appears to be incapable of sending a QAM signal out. This means that you get analog TV quality picture, even on the tunable HD channels. As my computer has only a tuner card with coaxial input. I can't get HD quality from this device on my PC (does anybody make an HDCP-compliant HDMI input device for a PC? I suspect the content providers will only see that over their dead body). I can run the HDMI directly into my monitor, but I have no way of grabbing the audio packets from the bitstream (I have no HDMI Audio De-Embedder or modern-enough HT receiver to do this).

On the plus side, I get more HD content than I was expecting. I'll try to post a list of HD channels I get with my "Expanded Basic" service, when the TV in the house frees-up. Also, the channel numbers from the list actually match those displayed from the box. Imagine that.

It may be moot, but my 'bundle' price with these folks has gotten quite outrageous. Obviously, customer loyalty means absolutely nothing to the folks at WOW. I'm seriously looking for an alternative, but the only other high bandwidth service currently available in my neighborhood is MediaCom, which doesn't sound like an improvement. I will probably dump the cable and keep internet/phone part. Internet service has been pretty good, although I'm still pissed about losing usenet service. Phone service is also pretty good, although we have minimum service (no long distance out, etc.) as we mostly use cellular.

This local market used to have pretty good cable service pricing, due to competition. This is no longer the case. There may be a whole bunch of price-fixing going on in this business, methinks.

-Dan
post #2899 of 2903 Old 02-28-2014, 10:42 PM

I don't think anybody make a cheap QAM HD encoder chip, so that's not surprising.

One interesting thing my father and I found with his Cisco DTA (hooked up via HDMI): it is apparently emitting RF noise in the 433MHz ISM band. He has an Oregon Scientific weather station, with outdoor thermometer/humidity, rain gauge, and wind speed/direction sensors. Suddenly everything but the temp/humidity quit. If he brought the sensors inside by the base, they'd work, but back outside, they'd lose communication. We finally realized that the problem started when he got the DTAs and put on on the TV next to the weather base station. We moved the base station a few feet away, and it immediately picked up the sensors' signals again. The temp/humidity sensor can switch channels (and must have I'm guessing, so it kept working), but the rain and wind sensors are fixed to a single channel each.
post #2900 of 2903 Old 03-01-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK View Post

WideOpenWallet update....

The Cisco HD Digital Transport Adapter supplied by WOW appears to function as advertised. However, if you are using the coax output (as opposed to the HDMI output), it appears to be incapable of sending a QAM signal out. This means that you get analog TV quality picture, even on the tunable HD channels. As my computer has only a tuner card with coaxial input. I can't get HD quality from this device on my PC (does anybody make an HDCP-compliant HDMI input device for a PC? I suspect the content providers will only see that over their dead body). I can run the HDMI directly into my monitor, but I have no way of grabbing the audio packets from the bitstream (I have no HDMI Audio De-Embedder or modern-enough HT receiver to do this).

On the plus side, I get more HD content than I was expecting. I'll try to post a list of HD channels I get with my "Expanded Basic" service, when the TV in the house frees-up. Also, the channel numbers from the list actually match those displayed from the box. Imagine that.

It may be moot, but my 'bundle' price with these folks has gotten quite outrageous. Obviously, customer loyalty means absolutely nothing to the folks at WOW. I'm seriously looking for an alternative, but the only other high bandwidth service currently available in my neighborhood is MediaCom, which doesn't sound like an improvement. I will probably dump the cable and keep internet/phone part. Internet service has been pretty good, although I'm still pissed about losing usenet service. Phone service is also pretty good, although we have minimum service (no long distance out, etc.) as we mostly use cellular.

This local market used to have pretty good cable service pricing, due to competition. This is no longer the case. There may be a whole bunch of price-fixing going on in this business, methinks.

-Dan

If you want HD input on your computer, your only real choice is Ceton pci-e card or external USB tuner or a Silicon HD Home run Prime. All of those use cable cards and use Windows7 Media Center as the software. WOW rents cable cards for about $2.50 a month.

Your output to your display also has to be either HDMI or DVI with HDCP capabilities. There is a system verification test built into Windows Media Center(WMC). I've been using one for years as my DVR system. The Ceton tuner can record 4 channels simultaneously and the HD Home run Prime can record 3. You can also use Media Center Extenders elsewhere in your house to watch live and recorded TV from your WMC computer.

I suspect that WOW will eventually scramble everything, even local OTA channels as the braindead FCC allowed the cable companies to do so. Clearwater QAM will be a thing of the past.

The DTAs are OK for what they are, to allow older TVs to work with the all digital system. It will be interesting to see what happens in a couple of years when they start charging rent for them. The cable companies probably don't like them much since you can't do PPV with them where cablecos really make money. They are a necessary evil to get the FCC to go along with an all digital scrambled format.

BTW, all of the analog channels still available on WOW are also being broadcast digitally right now. The roll out dates for channels under 100 are really when they will turn off the old analog cable availability for those channels. I took my analog card out of my WMC computer yesterday and can receive everything I did before. I won't miss the analog a bit. In most cases the digital broadcast is much cleaner, which is to be expected.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #2901 of 2903 Old 04-14-2014, 06:48 AM

As of last Friday, the last batch of new channels (mostly HD) have been added to WOW! Huntsville's lineup. Looks like WOW's website has not been updated to show these, so I'll post them here:

196 Fox Soccer Plus (SD only; Sports Pak subscribers only)
400 Music Choice Play (SD only)
888 HBO2 HD
889 HBO Comedy HD
890 HBO Family HD
891 HBO Signature HD
892 HBO Zone HD
893 MoreMax HD
894 Showtime 2 HD
895 Showtime Extreme HD
896 Showtime Showcase HD
897 The Movie Channel HD
898 Encore Action HD
899 Encore Black HD
900 Encore HD
924 Starz InBlack HD
925 Starz Edge HD
927 Starz Kids HD
976 Cartoon Network HD

Digital Preferred customers now get Fox Sports 2 on channel 194 (SD, cropped to 4:3 which looks HORRIBLE BTW), as well as the Encore channels and Music Choice Play. All of the others (except for Cartoon Network HD) are subscription only.

As of last Wednesday, when I checked, the local broadcast channels were still available on clear QAM, as well as channels 2 (DTA setup demo), 3 and 42 (Local/School Board channels) which were still available without a digital box/DTA. Not sure if that is still the case.
post #2902 of 2903 Old 04-16-2014, 05:00 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks for the information. I am curious though, I have WOW in Huntsville, digital preferred, with HD DVR, and several of the Cisco digital adapters installed on other TVs.

With my cable bill continuing to rise, and with the fact we watch very few of all the stations we receive with WOW digital preferred, I was considering going to extended basic. My question is with extended basic, will I be able to recieve the stations in HD? With the old Knology requirements, to get the HD broadcast, you had to have digital preferred, then another cost for the HD, and then the HD DVR. All my TVs are HD capable, and with the cisco adapters, and my HD DVR on the other tv, it seems like I should be able to recieve the HD. I guess the same question would go for just basic cable....would I get HD?

I have also considered just pulling the plug, and use rabbit ears, but wife has some shows she thinks she cant do without.......oh well......
post #2903 of 2903 Old 04-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37

There is a digital basic gateway package that is the digital equivalant

Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post

Thanks for the information. I am curious though, I have WOW in Huntsville, digital preferred, with HD DVR, and several of the Cisco digital adapters installed on other TVs.

With my cable bill continuing to rise, and with the fact we watch very few of all the stations we receive with WOW digital preferred, I was considering going to extended basic. My question is with extended basic, will I be able to recieve the stations in HD? With the old Knology requirements, to get the HD broadcast, you had to have digital preferred, then another cost for the HD, and then the HD DVR. All my TVs are HD capable, and with the cisco adapters, and my HD DVR on the other tv, it seems like I should be able to recieve the HD. I guess the same question would go for just basic cable....would I get HD?

I have also considered just pulling the plug, and use rabbit ears, but wife has some shows she thinks she cant do without.......oh well......

There is a digital basic gateway package that is the digital equivalent to expanded analog basic.  I forget what they call it, but I have it.  It's actually a triple-play package (cable, phone, internet) and it's $80/mo before all the taxes, fees, and equipment rentals (modem, cablecard, etc).  They probably don't advertise it on their website because it's one of their lowest prices options, but if you ask for it, they should be able to sign you up.  It's only 3Mbps internet though.  If you want faster internet, the whole package price will likely go up.  it's fast enough to stream SD material (we do from Amazon Prime), but not enough for HD material (I've tried).  I think HD streaming needs about 5-6MB at the very minimum.

good luck!

..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page