Huntsville, AL - HDTV - Page 98 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2911 of 2931 Old 01-05-2015, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you go to the WOW websited (you must allow cookies), click on Huntsville, click on Help & Support, click on Cable TV under Popular Help Topics, then click on Channel Changes and Updates in the left column.

It is buried deep. Most people won't find it. Just as WOW wants it to be.

Something tells me no one's cable bill with the deletion of these and the other channels since WOW took over Knology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2931 Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdown256 View Post
WOW encrypts all channels including locals. All subscribers require a DTA or cable box.
So, up until today, that wasn't true. I've been picking up locals using a regular QAM tuner even after the digital conversion. But tonight, I noticed about half my channels weren't working. Did a rescan, and sure enough about half are gone. I've got ABC, NBC and PBS in HD. A couple more (Fox and I forget what else) in SD. Interestingly, there aren't even the hundreds of encrypted channels found like there normally were (that I couldn't tune). Just about 10 or so (including sd/hd duplicates) total, all unencrypted.

Almost feels like they moved to a totally new frequency scheme or something my tuner can't handle.
post #2913 of 2931 Old 01-16-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erus View Post
So, up until today, that wasn't true. I've been picking up locals using a regular QAM tuner even after the digital conversion. But tonight, I noticed about half my channels weren't working. Did a rescan, and sure enough about half are gone. I've got ABC, NBC and PBS in HD. A couple more (Fox and I forget what else) in SD. Interestingly, there aren't even the hundreds of encrypted channels found like there normally were (that I couldn't tune). Just about 10 or so (including sd/hd duplicates) total, all unencrypted.

Almost feels like they moved to a totally new frequency scheme or something my tuner can't handle.
Something transient must be going on. I now have 363 channels (almost all encrypted), and CBS HD is back. But still missing Fox and CW HD that we'd had before.
post #2914 of 2931 Old 02-24-2015, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anybody else noticed that WOW dropped HDNet Movies, AXS TV, and BBC America? Did anyone see a notice that we would be losing these? Haven't seen any replacements. My bill goes up and up, and losing things when it does not make me feel better about WOW.
post #2915 of 2931 Old 02-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
Anybody else noticed that WOW dropped HDNet Movies, AXS TV, and BBC America? Did anyone see a notice that we would be losing these? Haven't seen any replacements. My bill goes up and up, and losing things when it does not make me feel better about WOW.
Yes, lowdown256 reported it just a few posts above you back in January. There is a link on the wow page that will get you to relevant news updates... lowdown256's instructions are copied below:

Quote:
If you go to the WOW websited (you must allow cookies), click on Huntsville, click on Help & Support, click on Cable TV under Popular Help Topics, then click on Channel Changes and Updates in the left column.
That takes you to this link:

http://www.wowway.com/help-support/c...ama/huntsville

which as of today still shows the update:

Quote:
Huntsville
Effective on or after December 31, 2014, NBC Sports Network will be available on WOW! Expanded Basic Cable channel 67. Also on or after December 31, 2014, AXS TV, HDNet Movies, ION, UP, BBC America (SD and HD) and Univision will no longer be available on WOW! Cable.
We were pretty bummed about losing HDNet and BBC America too.

..dane
post #2916 of 2931 Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi folks,

We recently cut the cord, and I was hoping to get some help with one stubborn OTA channel, the CW (WHDF). I'm in Madison, AL. When we decided to cut the cord, I picked up an RCA ANT751, placed it in my attic, aimed it at Monte Sano, and connected it to an HDHomeRun Connect. Apart from a bit of trouble with WHNT, it works great.

However, my wife is a fan of several shows on the CW, so I was on the hook to get that working. In the past, I'd tried smaller antennas and had zero luck with it. When I was testing the ANT751, I placed it on my kitchen table, loosely aimed towards TN, and connected it to a USB tuner. It picked it up pretty well, which I found encouraging. I purchased another antenna and installed it at the other end of my attic, correctly aimed. Since this required 50' of coax, I also added an RCA pre-amp; I have a 3' coax going from the antenna to the pre-amp mounted on the mast. Unfortunately, I'm not getting anything from it. Oddly, with or without the pre-amp, it's pretty much zero signal, though I had slightly more luck without it (as in, a picture came up, froze, and Media Center said it lost the signal).

Is anyone in the area able to pick this channel up well these days?
post #2917 of 2931 Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I use this antenna in Triana and I am able to get all the channels, including WHDF.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007M...erk+hd+antenna

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #2918 of 2931 Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 PM
DLK

I'm enjoying this thread.
I use a tuner card in my desktop PC. I've been taking advantage of Wide-Open-Wallet not scrambling the HD channels from the local market for awhile now. This evening however, these channels now appear to be scrambled. Was this announced? I've considered a Silicon Dust three-channel box with the CableCard, but WOW costs too much as it is, so I may can the cable service unless they're interested in keeping me as a customer, in which case they'll need to cut the rate.
It looks like I need an antenna. I have a high-gain log periodic antenna on the roof that I'm not using at present, but it's a problem getting the coax to my desktop position. I'll have to find an antenna that I can temporarily stick in a window or something.
-Dan
post #2919 of 2931 Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 PM

Interesting, I wonder why I'm having issues. I assume yours is indoors and not in an attic?

I should have mentioned, I'm in the Research Park area.
post #2920 of 2931 Old 03-17-2015, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 45
As said above I've had good luck with that antenna. I have it in my master closet where my coax and ethernet terminates. I get a nice clear signal.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #2921 of 2931 Old 03-17-2015, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm 30 miles from the station, I'm thinking you're further from it than me.

I'm thinking tomorrow I'll take the antenna out of the attic and try it from my loft window, just under where it's mounted. I'd really prefer something attic mounted, but if the roof is what's causing the issue obviously I'll have to adapt.
post #2922 of 2931 Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoe View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm 30 miles from the station, I'm thinking you're further from it than me.

I'm thinking tomorrow I'll take the antenna out of the attic and try it from my loft window, just under where it's mounted. I'd really prefer something attic mounted, but if the roof is what's causing the issue obviously I'll have to adapt.
I wouldn't think the roof would attenuate the signal much more than the walls of a lower level unless the roof is metal or lined with some metallic-backed insulation. On UHF, height is critical. But since WHDF is in a weird direction compared to the others on Monte Santo, it's also an added effort. You either have to try to receive the other signals off the back of your antenna or WHDF through a reflected signal, which is possible but less reliable in my experience.
post #2923 of 2931 Old 03-18-2015, 04:43 AM

It's a standard shingle roof, no metal, so I was hoping it wouldn't cause too many issues. Still not sure why it would have worked in the kitchen. I had hoped a second antenna aimed at WHDF would avoid any other special effort. I've found this new antenna is picking up the channels on Monte Sano as well, although not as well as the one aimed there.
post #2924 of 2931 Old 03-18-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoe View Post
It's a standard shingle roof, no metal, so I was hoping it wouldn't cause too many issues. Still not sure why it would have worked in the kitchen. I had hoped a second antenna aimed at WHDF would avoid any other special effort. I've found this new antenna is picking up the channels on Monte Sano as well, although not as well as the one aimed there.
I should also point out that my location is unfortunately classified as 2Edge on TVFool. It looks like Triana is only 1Edge which probably explains why you're having more luck than me. With any luck that doesn't make this hopeless for me.
post #2925 of 2931 Old 03-23-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK View Post
I'm enjoying this thread.
I use a tuner card in my desktop PC. I've been taking advantage of Wide-Open-Wallet not scrambling the HD channels from the local market for awhile now. This evening however, these channels now appear to be scrambled. Was this announced? I've considered a Silicon Dust three-channel box with the CableCard, but WOW costs too much as it is, so I may can the cable service unless they're interested in keeping me as a customer, in which case they'll need to cut the rate.
It looks like I need an antenna. I have a high-gain log periodic antenna on the roof that I'm not using at present, but it's a problem getting the coax to my desktop position. I'll have to find an antenna that I can temporarily stick in a window or something.
-Dan
I have NO cable box (for which they are required to discount your bill), a cable card, a DTA, Enhanced Basic + 4MBs for $56/mo. My HDHomeRun works great on all my PCs. Oh, and I also have an OTA HDHomeRun so the coax only needs to be close to your LAN.
post #2926 of 2931 Old 03-23-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post
I have NO cable box (for which they are required to discount your bill)
I believe they are only required to give you a discount for a CableCARD if they don't charge other customers for the first box (i.e. the box is bundled in the package price). For example, Comcast bundles the standard box, so they have to give a discount if you instead take a CableCARD. However, WOW always charges for the box, so they don't give a discount for a CableCARD; in fact, they charge for a CableCARD as well (that's as of the last time I saw their pricing anyway).
post #2927 of 2931 Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdellgp View Post
I believe they are only required to give you a discount for a CableCARD if they don't charge other customers for the first box (i.e. the box is bundled in the package price). For example, Comcast bundles the standard box, so they have to give a discount if you instead take a CableCARD. However, WOW always charges for the box, so they don't give a discount for a CableCARD; in fact, they charge for a CableCARD as well (that's as of the last time I saw their pricing anyway).
This was not the case when I asked their sales dept. and signed up nearly a year ago. In fact, their VP over Huntsville supports this as well as their policy of "2 Free DTAs for 2 years" and since they charge $2/mo for a DTA, they'll allow a CableCard to count as a DTA... I AM TELLING YOU my bill is $56, and I'm receiving credit for not having a cable-box, and a $4 credit ($2 DAT and $2 CC) now that Huntsville has completed their Digital conversion.

I believe the grandfathered Knology customers are being s c r e w e d badly. I know of customers who were paying nearly $200/mo for service... after a phone call WOW would knock $60+ off their a-la-carte bill (since they were left-over from Knology). WOW is reaping the benefits of their loyal customers failing to inquire!
post #2928 of 2931 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
DLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post
This was not the case when I asked their sales dept. and signed up nearly a year ago. In fact, their VP over Huntsville supports this as well as their policy of "2 Free DTAs for 2 years" and since they charge $2/mo for a DTA, they'll allow a CableCard to count as a DTA... I AM TELLING YOU my bill is $56, and I'm receiving credit for not having a cable-box, and a $4 credit ($2 DAT and $2 CC) now that Huntsville has completed their Digital conversion.

I believe the grandfathered Knology customers are being s c r e w e d badly. I know of customers who were paying nearly $200/mo for service... after a phone call WOW would knock $60+ off their a-la-carte bill (since they were left-over from Knology). WOW is reaping the benefits of their loyal customers failing to inquire!
Thanks for the info, Andrew. Being one of those ex-Knology customers paying a little over $200/mo., I'll give WOW a call.
post #2929 of 2931 Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Let us know how it goes. I'm calling tomorrow, for the same reason.
post #2930 of 2931 Old Today, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
Let us know how it goes. I'm calling tomorrow, for the same reason.
You should be able to get 12mb internet, phone, expanded basic with HD DVR and two extra DTAs for around $120 a month.

-g
post #2931 of 2931 Old Today, 07:29 AM

Oh, that also includes "digital preferred" which is basically all digital channels minus the sports pack and movie channels.

-g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception