AVS Forum banner

Huntsville, AL - HDTV

435K views 3K replies 284 participants last post by  xmguy 
#1 ·
Who has any info for Huntsville's Fox 54.1 WZDX and 54.2 WABM, like in when and if are they getting the necessary equipment to pass along Fox's HD signal to the valley? And, BTW, what's up with WAAY 32.1? Are they ever going HD? I know your out there. Anybody?...Anybody?...Beuller?...Beuller?

Wolfie

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
Making this the "Official" Huntsville thread.

Does someone care to briefly summarize the HD available in Huntsville? I'll add it to the first post for easy reference.

Huntsville HD offerings summarized: 12/23/05.

Local OTA:

CBS- WHNT - 1080i/DD5.1

NBC- WAFF - 1080i/DD5.1

PBS- WHIQ - 1080i/DD2.0

FOX- WZDX - 720P/DD5.1

ABC- WAAY - 720P/DD2.0 (WAAY may eventually upgrade to 5.1.)

CW- WHDF - 1080i/DD2.0 (Theoretical upgrade to 5.1)

MyTV- WZDX - 480i/DD2.0 (No plan for upgrade to HD)

Local Cable:

Knology: The Knology HD package includes FOX, NBC, CBS, PBS, ABC, ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, TNT-HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, UniversalHD, NGHD, TBSHD, VSGOLF, QVCHD, FSNHD, and DiscoveryHD Theater. ShowtimeHD, Starz!HD, Cinemax-HD and HBO-HD are available through their respective packages.

Comcast: The Comcast HD package includes ABC, PBS, NBC, CBS, FOX, DiscoveryHD Theater, ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, BravesHD, TNT-HD, InHD, MHD, FSNHD, UHD, NGHD, A&E HD, HGTV HD, Food Network HD, Mojo, and VSGOLF. Starz!HD, HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, and Cinemax-HD are available through their respective packages. Occasionally games on the NFL Network are shown in HD on channel 520.

*updated* Channel 206 on Comcast is FSNHD, but nothing is showing yet, just channel guide and color bars. 208 is UHD, 210 is National Geographic HD, and 211 is A&E HD.

That's all the HD channels available as of 06/03/08 in the city of Huntsville, AL without going through a sat system.

So sit back, pop open a cold one, and enjoy...

Mr Zoid

*edited to reflect changes*

#9 ·
Actually, I'll try my best to update on WZDX, though Joe works for them, I don't. I work for WHDF and I will have an update on us soon.

#10 ·
Thanks Taz. I spoke again with one of my contacts at WAAY, and still no news. I'm beginning to think at this point the only way WAAY will convert is to show strong numbers. It'd be nice to have a number to show them of people with the capability of watching OTA HD programming within their range.

Mr Zoid

#11 ·
Just to let you all know, not a day passes that I don't mention HD to our station manager. Things are looking better since the network is now starting to roll out more HD content. I'll keep y'all posted.

#12 ·
FYI-

I've got the DirectTV HDTV Tivo unit. I have been unsuccessful in getting the ABC and PBS stations via an attic antenna (a radioshack "75 mile" model) despite many attempts @ repositioning. I suspect it is due to location: High voltage lines accross the street and I'm on the side of Walton's Mountain. any recs or advice is appreciated. All the other HSV stations come in great.

thanks!

#13 ·
Anybody associated with Fox54, we keep having these commercials saying "Coming soon, a tower of power to the Tennessee Valley. Fox54, powerful television." What does all this mean? Are you really going HD and when? Anybody?...Anybody?...Beuller?...Beuller?

Wolfie

#16 ·
If/WHEN we do get FOX-HD I will then have all the majors. I live in Northern Cullman county (Vinemont) and I am getting the following:

CBS HD - Huntsville and Birmingham with great reception from each.

NBC HD - Huntsville and Birmingham with good reception from each.

ABC HD (33/5)- T-Town with great reception. Nothing from 31/32 in Huntsville.

WB HD - Birmingham 21/28-2 is now HD (as of 10/04/04) with good reception and they are upconverting the SD content as well and it looks very impressive. WB Huntsville in 480i with good reception.

FOX - 480i from Huntsville and NOTHING from Fox 6/50 out of Birmingham.

I'd love to be getting the Baseball Playoffs in HD, but I'll be happy if we get FOX HD in time for the new seasons of "24" and "Tru Calling" in January. Fox HD NFL games are great on DirecTV Sunday Ticket. BRING ON FOX HD OTA!

#19 ·
This stays here. Please don't mention this on the tennesseevalley site. We may be camping as quickly as 3 weeks, at the most, 2.5 months.

#20 ·
A quick update on us, WHDF. Right now we're putting up a new antenna, actually, we're off the air as I type, as we're in the final stage. The antenna can handle both digital and analog, though right now we're just going to broadcast analog. This new antenna should dramatically help reception in Huntsville (especially downtown).

Coming up next is our move to digital. We've been granted a STA from the FCC to broadcast temporairily from our station, instead of from our main tower. This will of course cover our city of license, Florence, though looking at the contour prediction, folks on the west side of Huntsville should be able to pick us up with a decent outdoor setup.

Like I said before, a day doesn't go by that I don't mention HD. I've recently spoke to the upper management about an idea to help off-set the cost of going HD, and they did like the idea. I can't tell you if we will go HD at first, because I honestly don't know. Though, UPN network-wise doing more HD did help a LOT. The new owners of our station are pretty aggressive, so it really wouldn't surprise if they decide to go HD all at once, though you never know.

As soon as I know more, you'll know more.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by taz291819
A quick update on us, WHDF. Right now we're putting up a new antenna, actually, we're off the air as I type, as we're in the final stage. The antenna can handle both digital and analog, though right now we're just going to broadcast analog. This new antenna should dramatically help reception in Huntsville (especially downtown).

Coming up next is our move to digital. We've been granted a STA from the FCC to broadcast temporairily from our station, instead of from our main tower. This will of course cover our city of license, Florence, though looking at the contour prediction, folks on the west side of Huntsville should be able to pick us up with a decent outdoor setup.

Like I said before, a day doesn't go by that I don't mention HD. I've recently spoke to the upper management about an idea to help off-set the cost of going HD, and they did like the idea. I can't tell you if we will go HD at first, because I honestly don't know. Though, UPN network-wise doing more HD did help a LOT. The new owners of our station are pretty aggressive, so it really wouldn't surprise if they decide to go HD all at once, though you never know.

As soon as I know more, you'll know more.

taz, YOU DA MAN!!!

Wolfie

#26 ·
Ladies and gentlemen - presenting for your pleasure, FOX54 WZDX in glorious HD. Here is how I suspect this is now true. Last night while watching the ALCS, I noticed on my channel guide description that the "HD" logo on my menu lit up, signifying an HD signal. Of course, we will have to wait until a real HD broadcast from FOX appears, most likely on the NFL Sunday.

Wolfie