Forum Jump: 

post #6001 of 6822 Old 12-30-2008, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post

The last that I heard was WPLG is building a new facility and expects to have it operational by the February 17 transition date. I don't know what is going on with WFOR. I'm hoping that they will soon have HD news as well. I noticed that they now show Insider Weekend in HD. This is the first time I'm seeing syndicated shows in HD...Something that WTVJ and WPLG are not doing yet.

After inquiring a short while ago, I received an e-mail from WPLG indicating that they'd be going local HD hopefully in March. No idea what's going on with WFOR, but there have been rumors that WSVN will go local HD very soon. Re WSVN, I'll believe it when I see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6822 Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like comcast changed from PBS ch17 analog to digital. No longer getting any TV guide info on my Samsung. Been trying to get it somewhere else (CBS-HD) with no luck. Anybody getting it OTA or on cable?
post #6003 of 6822 Old 12-31-2008, 06:06 AM

rkc9999:

Here in Plantation, with Comcast, channel 17 is still WLRN (as it always has been) although it is also duplicated on channel 94. Interestingly enough the ch 17 version is part of ADS while ch 94 appears to be pure analog!

TVGOS means nothing to me, I'm afraid!

Personally I can't wait for them to start moving the analog channels to digital. That is probably the only way they will be able to add more HD channels!

Cheers!
Bryan

If you are interested in Model Railroading check my web site; Alligator Lines!
post #6004 of 6822 Old 12-31-2008, 10:25 AM

AT&T vowed to make its U-verse TV service available to more homes on an ongoing basis when it first launched in South Florida, and expand it has. One tipster down in sunny Ft. Lauderdale just received a postcard in the mail informing him that the service was available for his domicile, and upon investigating, he found that it was actually available now for the majority of Broward County (including Ft. Lauderdale, Deerfield / Pompano Beach, Coconut Creek, Margate, Coral Springs, and Davie).
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/12/30...florida-homes/

Anobody gave it a try yet?
post #6005 of 6822 Old 01-01-2009, 08:58 AM

Liked: 11
So yesterday I had U-Verse installed here is summary of how things went.

Customer Service - this was very good, I got a heads up call two days before the install from the outside line installer saying he would be getting the line to the house in place. I got two calls prior to installation day confirming the install and the inside installer called and showed up right on time

Equipment & Line - I have 25Mb line to the house the install included (1) 2Wire 3800HGV-B Router, (1) Cisco IPN430MC PVR (160GB drive) and (3) Cisco IPN330HD STBs. U200 package

Installation - took 8 hours total. I asked them to leave the cable in place and run Cat5. The tech worked for three hours trying to establish the cable runs but it ended up being too difficult so we went with plan B which was to use the existing cable connections. Since I could not get the Cat5 they gave me a six month discount on the service. The connections were pretty straight forward the router has a RG6 and runs bidirectional, the signal is then split and back fed to the rooms through the existing RG6.

Needed to switch my existing old Bellsouth email accounts to the ATT Yahoo they have an upgrade for this and it preserved all of my saved mail etc.

All my existing computers and PS3s connected to the internet via wireless and my I/O speeds look right on at 3Mb down and 1Mb up which is what I paid for.

My Harmony 550 was easily programmed for the Cisco PVR and works perfectly.

Service - I have only spent about 3hrs watching but the HD looks as good as Advanced Cable's, I will watch some football today to get a better feel. The SD content looks fine certainly better than the cable analog stuff.

The channel guide and recorder is very easy to use and I really like the ability to watch recordings in any room. So I can pause in the family room and then resume watching in my bedroom. The installer said they would be coming out with drives in each box so in the future you will not have to share disk space. You can also schedule recordings over the web from anywhere via their website.

Overall I am happy so far, my only real concern is whether the (4) TV streams will be an issue, especially with only (2) HD. I will provide some additional updates as I get more time with the service, I am also looking into the VOIP when that becomes available.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large
post #6006 of 6822 Old 01-01-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The biggest issue with U-Verse , IMO, is the limit of 1 HD recording and 1 DVR per household.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #6007 of 6822 Old 01-01-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
stonecrd - Which package did you get? How many HD channels do you have?
post #6008 of 6822 Old 01-01-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

stonecrd - Which package did you get? How many HD channels do you have?

I have the U200 pkg($59+$10 HD), total HD not including the premium movie channels is ~47 and includes both the Miami and WPB locals.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large
post #6009 of 6822 Old 01-02-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed Comcast has WBFS33 in HD which D* doesn't. Did you guys get MLBHD?
post #6010 of 6822 Old 01-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Hey Doom.....Did you get MLBHD? We did get MLB on channel 291 (I think)...but it is not in HD.
post #6011 of 6822 Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsrock View Post

Hey Doom.....Did you get MLBHD? We did get MLB on channel 291 (I think)...but it is not in HD.

Is the MLB Network even available in HD? I never heard that it was.
post #6012 of 6822 Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post

I have the U200 pkg($59+$10 HD), total HD not including the premium movie channels is ~47 and includes both the Miami and WPB locals.

West Palm Beach locals too?? WOW! That's great! I wish Comcast would give us that.

I would make the switch, but I have a Tivo HD that lets me record two HD programs at once. I'm not giving THAT up.
post #6013 of 6822 Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post

West Palm Beach locals too?? WOW! That's great! I wish Comcast would give us that.

I would make the switch, but I have a Tivo HD that lets me record two HD programs at once. I'm not giving THAT up.

Just to be clear on the pvr, you can record up to 4 streams at one time but only 2 HD. It is basically the same as watching, you get the 4 streams to either watch or record, if you try to watch or record a third HD stream or a fifth total stream you get a message asking if you want to interupt.

So you could record two HD shows but you could only watch a SD channel if you did that.

post #6014 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post

... So you could record two HD shows but you could only watch a SD channel if you did that.

Does that mean that you cannot watch one of the HD streams while it is being recorded? Seems strange if that is the case but maybe it's just me being rather slow!

How's the HD PQ? What size screen do you have?

Cheers!
Bryan

post #6015 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDCat View Post

Does that mean that you cannot watch one of the HD streams while it is being recorded? Seems strange if that is the case but maybe it's just me being rather slow!

How's the HD PQ? What size screen do you have?

You get two HD streams so can watch one while recording another or you could watch a recording while recording two other HD channels & two SD channels

I have a 60" DLP and picture quality might be a bit worse on some content but for most things I don't notice any difference. I believe U-verse uses 9Mb for HD and MPEG4 compression

post #6016 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

stonecrd

Do you know if ATT is already offering the 18Mbps DSL as an option for U-Verse customers ?

Thanks

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #6017 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 12:37 PM

Thank you stonecrd for your response, I appreciate it!

I'm sorry to belabor the point but just so I am perfectly clear on this, you say You get two HD streams so can watch one while recording another . To me this seems to say that you cannot watch and record a single HD stream at the same time! If you wished to do this you would need both HD streams tuned to the same channel - watching one stream and recording the other stream! Is this the case?

I'm sorry if I appear somewhat dense here but this is really important to me! I expect to get a second HDTV in a month or so and I was thinking I could live with two HD streams (until they added more) but if you can only watch or record (and not both) a single stream at a time then I'm not so sure!

Of course, this is all moot until U-verse comes to my area!

Thank you for your patience!

Cheers!
Bryan

post #6018 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

It's unlikely ATT will "add more" HD at the same time. U-Verse is old, cheap technology limited by bandwidth. Don't think U-Verse is like FIOS, 12 times more expensive to deploy. They had a limit of 1 HD streaming and now it's 2 but they had to squeeze it using the same bandwith.Google U-Verse reviews and see how many people are disappointed with the picture and restrictions.

post #6019 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 01:33 PM

Has anyone been having OTA reception issues with HD/DTV transmissions starting about a week ago to present? I'm in NMBeach and up until last week the selection and reception has been fantastic. Wondering if maybe my antenna has taken a dum....p! Tim
post #6020 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

....Google U-Verse reviews and see how many people are disappointed with the picture and restrictions.

I think most are aware of this! All you need do is follow AVS' thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=700011

However, when a new option becomes available (or, in my case, will hopefully become available) I like to understand it as well as I can. Even if it should become available to me, I doubt, right now, that I would be overly interested. But I stilll want to know about it!

Cheers!
Bryan

post #6021 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDCat View Post

Thank you stonecrd for your response, I appreciate it!

I’m sorry to belabor the point but just so I am perfectly clear on this, you say “You get two HD streams so can watch one while recording another …”. To me this seems to say that you cannot watch and record a single HD stream at the same time! If you wished to do this you would need both HD streams tuned to the same channel – watching one stream and recording the other stream! Is this the case?

I’m sorry if I appear somewhat dense here but this is really important to me! I expect to get a second HDTV in a month or so and I was thinking I could live with two HD streams (until they added more) but if you can only watch or record (and not both) a single stream at a time then I’m not so sure!

Of course, this is all moot until U-verse comes to my area!

Thank you for your patience!

No problem, yes you can watch and record the same HD channel at the same time. In fact U-verse definition of an HD stream is based on different channels. You can have more than two TVs watching HD as long as they are watching the same channel.

slimoli - 18Mb was an option but I just stayed with what I had 3Mb/1Mb. I also don't consider it old technology it is Fiber like FIOS just a different way to implement (TP copper from VRAD to house). Currently my line is provisioned at 25Mb abd capped at 60Mb so I am only using about 43% of the bandwidth that I should theoretically be able to get. Moore's law still seems to be working so I expect the technology to improve. Also if you look today there are a lot of different opinions on HD quality from every provider and this is pretty location specific. In my case I am happy with the U-verse picture quality and that is all that matters to me.

post #6022 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Go Miami Dolphins!!!
post #6023 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 04:16 PM

I read a few earlier post about HD OTA broadcasting in S FL. I live in the NMBch area. For the record, since I set up my Sammy HDTV in April 08 and programed/searched OTA channels, I recieved HD programing on: 2,4,6,7,10,17,23,25,27,29,33,35,39,44,45,46,51,58,63,69 and others that I deleted. I got a total of 50 something analog and digital channels. Some of the channels mostly 17 and 44 came and went often.
Up until last week that is. Which is the reason for my earlier post today regarding current OTA HD reception issues? Is anyone else having OTA DTV reception problems? Oh well... my 2 cents worth. Tim
post #6024 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T24Seawind View Post

I read a few earlier post about HD OTA broadcasting in S FL. I live in the NMBch area. For the record, since I set up my Sammy HDTV in April 08 and programed/searched OTA channels, I recieved HD programing on: 2,4,6,7,10,17,23,25,27,29,33,35,39,44,45,46,51,58,63,69 and others that I deleted. I got a total of 50 something analog and digital channels. Some of the channels mostly 17 and 44 came and went often.
Up until last week that is. Which is the reason for my earlier post today regarding current OTA HD reception issues? Is anyone else having OTA DTV reception problems? Oh well... my 2 cents worth. Tim

No OTA problems at all up here in central Broward. 44 goes off once in a while, but that's them and not your set or antenna.
post #6025 of 6822 Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I read a news release today, seems that WLRN-DT will be launching MHz WorldView as a subchannel on Monday.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6026 of 6822 Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsrock View Post

Yeah we got it in HD on launch. However in all fairness from what I'm reading, D* has a major stake in MLBHD so it was imminent. The PQ is fantastic. I recorded the first hour from the 1st. Their studio show looked fantastic. They replayed the Philly/TB WS last night.
post #6027 of 6822 Old 01-05-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I read a news release today, seems that WLRN-DT will be launching MHz WorldView as a subchannel on Monday.

- Trip

Well, I read the news release again, it will not be on a subchannel, but rather on WLRN's cable channel. That's too bad.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6028 of 6822 Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Any news about CNN-HD or FOX NEWS-HD from Miami Comcast????

PSN: JF7FSU
post #6029 of 6822 Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 AM

For those interested this is the current HD lineup from U-verse

5StarMax HD*
A&E HD*
ATMAX*
ATMax HD*
ActionMAX*
ActionMAX HD - West*
ActionMax HD*
Animal Planet HD*
Big Ten Network HD*
Biography HD
Biography International HD
Bravo HD*
C&I HD
CNBC HD*
CNN HD*
Cinemax HD*
Cinemax HD - West*
CMT HD
Comedy HD
Discovery Channel HD*
DIS HD Disney High Definition (HD) Cable
DXDHD Disney XD High Definition (HD)
E HD*
ESPN HD*
ESPN2 HD*
ESN HD ESPN News High Definition (HD)
ESNUHD ESPN University High Definition (HD)
Encore HD*
FAM HD
FSN Florida Alternate HD*
FSN Florida HD*
FX Network HD*
Food Network HD*
Fox Business Network HD*
G4 HD*
Golf HD*
HBO Comedy HD*
HBO Family*
HBO Family HD*
HBO Family HD - West*
HBO HD*
HBO HD - West*
HBO Latino HD*
HBO Signature HD*
HBO Signature HD - West*
HBO Zone HD*
HBO Zone HD - West*
HBO2*
HBO2 HD*
HBO2 HD - West*
HD Theater*
HDNet*
HDNet Movies*
HGTV HD*
Lifetime Movie Network HD*
Lifetime Television HD*
MGM HD*
MoreMAX HD - West*
MoreMax HD*
MTV HD
NFL Network HD*
NHL Network HD*
Nick HD
National Geographic Channel HD*
Outdoor Channel HD*
OuterMax HD*
Planet Green HD*
Sci Fi Channel HD*
Science Channel HD*
Showtime Extreme HD*
Showtime HD*
Showtime HD - West*
Showtime Showcase HD*
Showtime Too HD*
Smithsonian Channel HD*
Spike HD
Starz Comedy HD*
Starz Edge*
Starz Edge HD*
Starz HD*
Starz HD - West*
Starz Kids & Family HD*
Starz inBlack*
Style HD*
Sun Sports HD*
Sun Sports HD Alternate*
TBS HD*
TMC Xtra HD*
TNT HD*
The Learning Channel HD*
The Movie Channel HD*
The Weather Channel HD*
ThrillerMAX HD - West*
ThrillerMax HD*
Travel Channel HD*
USA Network HD*
Universal HD*
VERSUS HD*
VH1 HD
WBFS-HD-33 (MY NETWORK TV)*
WFLX-HD-29 (FOX WPB)*
WFOR-HD-4 (CBS Miami)*
WGN America HD*
WHDT-LP-HD-44 (IND)*
WLRN-HD-17 (PBS)*
WMAX HD*
WPBT-HD-2 (PBS)*
WPEC-HD-12 (CBS WPB)*
WPLG-HD-10 (ABC Miami)*
WPTV-HD-5 (NBC WPB)*
WSCV-HD-51 (TEL)*
WSFL-HD-39 (THE CW)*
WSVN-HD-7 (FOX Miami)*
WTVJ-HD-6 (NBC Miami)*
Wealth TV HD*
Yes HD

post #6030 of 6822 Old 01-05-2009, 11:46 AM

How do you like the picture quality versus cable or sat?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page