Forum Jump: 

post #6391 of 6822 Old 06-24-2009, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WPLG has now joined WSVN in asking to boost power. WPLG wants to go up to 60 kW on the current antenna.

- Trip

Everyone,

I want to try to clear a few things up here, because there is some misinformation going on.

First thing, WPLG is on our new tower@ 30 KW erp on Channel 10. We went to that when we converted at 9AM on the 12th. WSVN will be joining us there when their transmitter building is complete. For now, they are using their old omni and I believe their erp is roughly 63KW. Neither of us was ever side mounted or on the same tower before.

WPLG is now using a patterned antenna, one that puts more power to the north and south, and less to the Everglades and Atlantic Ocean. Hopefully, this helps.

We do have a construction permit for 156 kw that we intended to complete by early to mid 2010. Seeing the continuing reception issues, we are quickly moving to increase power to 60kw erp. Trip is correct, we have filed for an STA to get there as soon as possible (hopefully in the next two weeks). We expect that will significantly improve reception until we can overcome some construction and technical hurdles to get us to fulfill our CP.

Please understand, we may need to lower power during daylight hours, and sometime go to our standby antenna at the 700 foot level to protect tower workers who are still on the job. If you ride by "the farm" you will still see a crane on top of our new tower. That should be down in the next few weeks.

There may be some other tempoarry power reductions as we begin the process of taking down the old Channel 10 tower (right beside the new one).

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while; we've been busy building our new studio, tower and transmitter building. Also got a little fatigued with patiently explaining misconceptions and getting attacked for it on this site. You can only explain so many times the difference in propagation between VHF and UHF and basically get taken to task for explaining reality! At times, the hostility level was more than I ever felt like dealing with.

As you all may know, reception of Digital VHF at assigned power levels turned out to be a huge problem not only here but all over the US. Google VHF HD and you will see many hits with serious issues in Philly, New York, Chicago, Washington, etc. We are working hard to rectify, but it may take time.

Steve Ellis
Assistant CE
WPLG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 6822 Old 06-25-2009, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Steve!
post #6393 of 6822 Old 06-27-2009, 12:27 PM

Can anyone confirm that WTVJ 6 has ceased its nitelite operation as scheduled ? On the morning of Jun 22 it was received here in San Antonio over the raster of our local KFLZ-CA-6.
post #6394 of 6822 Old 06-27-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA5IYX View Post

Can anyone confirm that WTVJ 6 has ceased its nitelite operation as scheduled ? On the morning of Jun 22 it was received here in San Antonio over the raster of our local KFLZ-CA-6.

WTVJ ch. 6 is gone from low band as of 6/26. WPBT ch. 2 is still on with a nightlight service.
post #6395 of 6822 Old 06-28-2009, 02:47 PM

WTVJ analog 58 is still broadcasting the main content from digital 6-1.
post #6396 of 6822 Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Strat View Post

Earnest, not a reception question, but a question on 6-1 audio.

For months now, audio is being broadcast out of phase over 6-1. It's not everything, but only some content. I hear it sometimes on things ranging from network broadcasts, local news broadcasts, commercials, and just about anything. Even during local news, audio flips from in phase to out of phase depending on the shot or content. It never flips within the content, only when the content changes. It's almost as if there are different audio routing banks to handle various content, and one of those banks is wired out of phase.

The result is that what's supposed to come out of the center channel in a 5.1 system comes from all around. Sound is extremely dispersed with no real focal point at all. Nothing at all comes from the center.

I know that this is unique to 6-1, because the exact same network program on 5-1 (WPTV) will sound perfect (e.g., Law And Order). Tune to 6-1, and the audio is out of phase. This is all OTA, so it has nothing to do with cable or sat systems.

I've posted this issue before, and I've e-mailed WTVJ engineering about it - I've never gotten a response.

Why is 6-1's audio sometimes out of phase???

Hi 97Strat,
Over the past few weeks and months WTVJ has gone through a major change in the way we carry our stream in the studio and in monitoring. Without getting too much into details, much of our signal processing that used to be done in house in Miramar is now outsourced to a company located in Atlanta. This is a new system to NBC, and as in most new NBC technologies WTVJ is the first to implement it. So as you might imagine we have had to deal with and clear problems that are not only just associated to us, but are not even associated to other owned and operated NBC stations yet. We are working hard to clean up the 'beta" version, and expect to have all the problems resolved within the next few weeks. Sorry about all the audio problems, but trust me, it pains me just as much as it pains you!

Earnest Walker
Transmitter Engineer ~ Remote Operations
WTVJ NBC 6 ~ WSCV Telemundo 51
Miami ~ Ft. Lauderdale, FL
post #6397 of 6822 Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 AM

Hi Guys,
I thought you might enjoy this video of the final WTVJ broadcast to the analog transmitter and the transmitter turn off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llkCCPxQfzs

And for all of you transmitter junkies here is a video tour of the transmitter site not long before shut down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=947Ty...eature=channel

Earnest Walker
Transmitter Engineer ~ Remote Operations
WTVJ NBC 6 ~ WSCV Telemundo 51
Miami ~ Ft. Lauderdale, FL
post #6398 of 6822 Old 06-30-2009, 02:16 PM

Neat WTVJ video with an all-too-familiar "soundtrack". Thru the decades here
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/WFOR-4.txt
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/images/wtvj-63a.jpg
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/WTVJ-6.txt
Got the Orlando Ch 6 nightlight here this morning.
post #6399 of 6822 Old 06-30-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DredTek View Post

Hi 97Strat,
Over the past few weeks and months WTVJ has gone through a major change in the way we carry our stream in the studio and in monitoring. Without getting too much into details, much of our signal processing that used to be done in house in Miramar is now outsourced to a company located in Atlanta. This is a new system to NBC, and as in most new NBC technologies WTVJ is the first to implement it. So as you might imagine we have had to deal with and clear problems that are not only just associated to us, but are not even associated to other owned and operated NBC stations yet. We are working hard to clean up the 'beta" version, and expect to have all the problems resolved within the next few weeks. Sorry about all the audio problems, but trust me, it pains me just as much as it pains you!

Earnest, I can't thank you enough for responding!! It's been driving me crazy and I haven't read a thing about this until your response.

All of the above having been said, I've noticed that now the only audio issues seem to be when there's live content being broadcast from the studio, e.g., live local news. Sound that should be in the center still comes from all around. Network programming and all commercials (at least that I've seen/heard) are all fine now, so it appears that you guys are indeed working through the bugs!

Again, thanks so much for the reply and explanation.
post #6400 of 6822 Old 06-30-2009, 06:55 PM

Hey DredTek, those are very cool videos, thanks for sharing!

Here's another video I've run across of channel 10's shutdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5S73yfVCg
post #6401 of 6822 Old 07-01-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Strat View Post

WTVJ analog 58 is still broadcasting the main content from digital 6-1.

NBC has filed a "displacement application" to move this analog translator to ch. 51. Don't throw away your portable analog hurricane TV if you live in South Broward or North Dade:

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....&fac_num=63151
post #6402 of 6822 Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post

Thanks Steve!

WPLG Upgraded it's power level to 60 KW erp on Saturday 7/4 at 5 AM. Hopefully this eases some reception issues.

Steve Ellis
WPLG
post #6403 of 6822 Old 07-06-2009, 05:38 PM

My reception of channel 10 has actually gotten worse according to my tuner this weekend. I was thinking channel 10 had decreased power to work on the tower.

I used to get both channel 7 and 10 with about 63-67% but now channel 10 is at about 25% while 7 is still the same.

It's possible that I am receiving too much signal or some kind of multipath now.
post #6404 of 6822 Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis View Post

WPLG Upgraded it's power level to 60 KW erp on Saturday 7/4 at 5 AM. Hopefully this eases some reception issues.

Steve Ellis
WPLG

Unfortunately still "NO SIGNAL" on ch. 10 here in central Palm Beach. I don't get 7 either, but both 7 and 10 come in sometimes when there is enhanced propagation toward Miami. Miami's full-power UHF's, except Ion, are always solid.

Telemundo is solid for me tonight, too. Maybe they've increased power. I'm getting a soap opera in HD, this is the first time I've seen HD on Telemundo other than studio shots in their local news.
post #6405 of 6822 Old 07-07-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panth1 View Post

My reception of channel 10 has actually gotten worse according to my tuner this weekend. I was thinking channel 10 had decreased power to work on the tower.

I used to get both channel 7 and 10 with about 63-67% but now channel 10 is at about 25% while 7 is still the same.

It's possible that I am receiving too much signal or some kind of multipath now.

Multipath is very likely the culprit. We have not powered down for tower work since the 4th. This is not the first report we have received and its getting to be more common nationwide as the V's start to power up. Sorry, but for many folks with indoor antennas that were receiving us in the past, the situation now has changed and depending on the ghost-cancelling abilities of the receiver, antenna position, etc., they may encounter some reception issues.

With our new antenna, we are focusing a lot of power North and South, while WSVN is still on their Omni. This may explain the difference in multipath interference.

Steve Ellis
WPLG
post #6406 of 6822 Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Yesterday afternoon I was talking to a Comcast supervisor about something else but before hanging up I asked when they would be adding more HD in South Florida since they were really behind their competition.

In summary, this is his answer (and as I said, FWIW):

Starting next month there is a 13 month project to convert all of South Florida to digital only. It would be done area by area starting in Broward (no idea on the sequence). As an area is converted the following would happen:

· The very basic service, channels 1 to 24, would remain analog for out the wall viewing.
· Channels 25 to 100 would become digital and would require a DTA box (quite small) to view them. (I have always thought of DTA as standing for Digital To Analog but it is actually something else).
· Two free DTAs will be provided to every household that requests them. (I have read that in other areas this is a go pick them up and do a self install deal). Any additional units will cost $1.99 a month.
· Internet speeds will automatically increase with no additional charge.
· New HD channels will be added. No idea what channels or how many but there would be capacity for up to 100 total (two and an a half times that currently provided).

So far as the additional HD channels go, in other areas this has typically included Planet Green, Travel, MGM, Style, Weather, amongst others and includes multiple premium channels of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz. No saying what happens here, of course.

As I said, grist for the mill and FWIW!!!!

Cheers!
Bryan

If you are interested in Model Railroading check my web site;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #6407 of 6822 Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis View Post

Multipath is very likely the culprit. We have not powered down for tower work since the 4th. This is not the first report we have received and its getting to be more common nationwide as the V's start to power up. Sorry, but for many folks with indoor antennas that were receiving us in the past, the situation now has changed and depending on the ghost-cancelling abilities of the receiver, antenna position, etc., they may encounter some reception issues.

With our new antenna, we are focusing a lot of power North and South, while WSVN is still on their Omni. This may explain the difference in multipath interference.

Steve Ellis
WPLG

Do you think that you guys might consider getting a UHF frequency? That would solve all your problems.
post #6408 of 6822 Old 07-09-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post

Do you think that you guys might consider getting a UHF frequency? That would solve all your problems.

That apparently is what Sunbeam is doing in Boston, where they've received FCC approval for WHDH ch. 7 to light up its pre-transition ch. 42 transmitter. No word on whether they plan to get a companion UHF frequency for WSVN ch. 7.
post #6409 of 6822 Old 07-09-2009, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDCat View Post

Yesterday afternoon I was talking to a Comcast supervisor about something else but before hanging up I asked when they would be adding more HD in South Florida since they were really behind their competition.

Starting next month there is a 13 month project to convert all of South Florida to digital only. It would be done area by area starting in Broward (no idea on the sequence). As an area is converted the following would happen:

· The very basic service, channels 1 to 24, would remain analog for out the wall viewing.
· Channels 25 to 100 would become digital and would require a DTA box (quite small) to view them. (I have always thought of DTA as standing for Digital To Analog but it is actually something else).
· Two free DTAs will be provided to every household that requests them. (I have read that in other areas this is a go pick them up and do a self install deal). Any additional units will cost $1.99 a month.
· New HD channels will be added. No idea what channels or how many but there would be capacity for up to 100 total (two and an a half times that currently provided).

So far as the additional HD channels go, in other areas this has typically included Planet Green, Travel, MGM, Style, Weather, amongst others and includes multiple premium channels of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz. No saying what happens here, of course.

Similar to what I was told except your time frame is probably more accurate. God knows when they'd start Dade.
post #6410 of 6822 Old 07-09-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post

Similar to what I was told except your time frame is probably more accurate. God knows when they'd start Dade.

Yes, I'm also inclined to believe it overall. It follows a very similar pattern to that in other areas of the country. Timing is the real question mark!

If the 13 months is accurate, it really does start next month and things remain on schedule, I would guess Dade would start about five to six months (possibly seven) into the project. (This is just a guess based on the relative sizes of Broward and Dade and assuming they complete Broward first).

I also have a hard time believing they will add additional HD channels area by area. Personally, I'd expect no more HD channels until Broward is fully converted. Bur who knows?

Cheers!
Bryan

If you are interested in Model Railroading check my web site;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #6411 of 6822 Old 07-11-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a Comcast acct. both in Aventura and iin Okld., Ca. I just got a notice from Okld. Comcast that I'll need to pick up a "box", to get channels 35-82. They didn't say exactly when the change over would take place - but I can get 2 boxes for free.
It appears they will mail these out, if you ask. Since there is a Comcast office a few blocks fm. my Okld. office, I'll just pick them up next week when I'm there.
They use the term "Digital Adapters".

While both systems carry most of the same channels, there are many more local channels in the Bay Area., thus (I guess) accounting for more channel numbers not requiring a "box".

...mike
post #6412 of 6822 Old 07-12-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDCat View Post

Best news I've heard in quite awhile. I'd love to know the expected time frame for the transition in Martin County. Please keep us updated! I believe DTA is Digital Transporter Adapter.
post #6413 of 6822 Old 07-12-2009, 01:13 PM

I live up in Fort Pierce, Florida, and two mornings in a row I picked up Channel 7 and 10. I'm 105 miles north of the transmitter. I had not seen Channel 10 since the days of Ann Bishop. Must say the station has changed a bit. The station faded out around 9:30 a.m. but it was nice to see it.

NBC6 has been the strongest Miami station up here and I have picked up the signal at 86% strength on occasions. However, WXEL, has a repeater signal on that same frequency, 31, so they both make each other difficult to pick up. However, the WXEL repeater signal goes down alot, which means I can get NBC6.

Be glad you don't live up here in Fort Pierce. The West Palm Beach stations broadcast on frequency that are also broadcasts in Tampa, which means poor reception on many days.

Hopefully Cuba or the Bahamas won't start broadcasting on the same frequencies that the Miami stations broadcast on.
post #6414 of 6822 Old 07-15-2009, 04:43 PM

I have noticed that the signal strengh of WPBT is in the 70-80% range here in SW iami-Dade (by FIU). All other channels are at 100 %, even 7 & 10. Even 29 and 42 are at 70%. I have a 10 element Ch. 7-13 antenna and a Televes DAT-75 UHF antenna. Are they running at lower power or problems with their antenna? It used to be at 100% before.

Jose
W2JD
post #6415 of 6822 Old 07-15-2009, 06:43 PM

Is anyone having problem with several HD channels getting glitchy with lots of pixelation and stutter with Comcast HD?

For some reason a couple of the HD channels I receive are showing lots of pixelation and stuttering while the rest of the HD channels are fine.

For example, Channel 423 CNNHD is showing a ton of pixelation
post #6416 of 6822 Old 07-15-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post

Here is my attempt at finding vacant UHF channels. If I didn't miss one it looks like 44 and 45 are available without having to protect an incumbent class A LPTV. It's too bad that 25 is occupied by a class A, it would have been a good channel. There are other possibilities but they involve protecting incumbent class A's and/or full power stations.

There is obviously more to interference studies then this simple exercise but you have to start somewhere...

7 WSVN
8 open
9 open
10 WPLG
11 open
12 WPTV
13 WPEC
14 Land Mobile
15 Land Mobile
16 WPBF
17 open
18 WPBT
19 WSFL
20 WLRN
21 WDLP-CA
22 WFOR
23 WLTV
24 open
25 WIMP-CA
26 open
27 WXEL
28 WFLX
29 open
30 WSCV
31 WTVJ
32 WBFS
33 open
34 WTVX
35 WPXM
36 WPXP
37 Radio Astronomy
38 WTCE
39 open
40 WBEC
41 WJAN-CA
42 WHDT
43 WTCN-CA WTCN-CA displacement ch. 50 application due to original WHDT ch. 44 allocation.
44 open
45 open

46 WHFT
47 WAMI
48 WWHB-CA
49 WFGC
50 WSBS-CA WTCN-CA displacement ch. 50 application due to original WHDT ch. 44 allocation.
51 open
post #6417 of 6822 Old 07-18-2009, 11:41 AM

Data stream statistics for stations I can get are in the enclosed ZIP file.

TSReader South Florida 7-18-09.zip 39.041015625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip TSReader South Florida 7-18-09.zip (39.0 KB, 0 views)
post #6418 of 6822 Old 07-18-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesk8er View Post

Data stream statistics for stations I can get are in the enclosed ZIP file.

You're amazing, you know that?

I owe you. If you see anything during tropo, please let me know. I'd love to have it all.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6419 of 6822 Old 07-18-2009, 03:02 PM

44 is not open, it maps as 9-1.

Jose
W2JD
post #6420 of 6822 Old 07-18-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
44 is a low-power. If a full-powered station wants it, WHDT-LD has to move.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page