Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, FL - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6822 Old 09-02-2002, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not going to attempt to explain how I sent a half message.

Anyway, I hope WPTV in Palm Beach goes on the air soon.

Ch 10-1 WPLG still has video and sound poping.
Why is it that they give drop outs of 5 seconds and a loud click every 20 minutes or so?

And, when are they going to fix the audio so the sound is not twice as loud for commercials than the movie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6822 Old 09-02-2002, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
George,

WPLG engineer Darren Alline is well aware of the audio problems with his digital signal. But the consensus at that station is still that there are very few viewers out there with equipment to view the digital signal, so if there's a problem it's no big deal. I'm not just saying that...I was actually told that by one of their engineering staff about a year ago when the digital signal was off the air for several days and I called to complain.

Things will have to change for all broadcasters once they don't have an analog signal on the air anymore, but that day is several years away.
post #633 of 6822 Old 09-03-2002, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

I hear you.
My complaint is that the video drops out for a few seconds.
So you miss parts of the show.
This is repetitious, and only on WPLG.

If this is how they feel about their viewers that small does not count, this may make a good story for Sun Sentinal. Then it may get fixed.
It sounds like a over heating problem.

Now that WB is going HD, they may be correct. The few will just stop watching their station, problems and all.
post #634 of 6822 Old 09-03-2002, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

George,
You may want to e-mail Darren to try to obtain some feedback on what exactly is causing your problem with their signal. I am so afraid the loud audio pops will damage my speakers that I seldom watch ABC anymore. His address is dalline@wplg.com.
He listens, but you just get the feeling that he is not fully empowered to do what needs to be done to make their digital signal the best it can be. According to what I've read, they've been on the air since 1999...you'd think they'd get it right by now.
post #635 of 6822 Old 09-04-2002, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps the suggestion made a couple of weeks ago that WTVJ might be able to temporarily use Telemundo WSCV digital equipment and tower to broadcast NBC HD programming was not so far out after all.

This long article in the 9/4 Miami Herald tells of the "marriage" of the two stations and the movement of all WSCV personnel and broadcasting assets to the WTVJ site. While no mention is made of HDTV, the possibility would seem to exist, all parties and FCC willing.

Rudy?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...printstory.jsp

B
post #636 of 6822 Old 09-04-2002, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll e-mail the ops mgr. and see what I can find out.
post #637 of 6822 Old 09-04-2002, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

From the Miami Herald 9/4

CBS coverage may mean missing start of UM--UF

CBS Sports president Sean McManus said Tuesday he leans toward showing Florida viewers all of Saturday's University of Miami-University of Florida football game even if its means leaving the coverage of the U.S. Open men's semifinals.

However, McManus said he has not made a final decision and couldn't rule out joining the Hurricanes-Gators game in progress.

CBS has allotted six hours for the two men's tennis matches, with the first beginning at 11 a.m. CBS is scheduled to switch to a college football pregame show at 5 p.m., with kickoff of the UM-UF game at 5:15 p.m.

McManus said he also has the option of switching one of the tennis matches to USA Network. That option would be realistic if the first match runs very long or if either match is delayed by rain.

But if McManus opts to switch only the state of Florida to the football game, the conclusion of the second semifinal would not be seen in Florida on USA Network or any other station.

McManus said he's rooting for short tennis matches to avoid a difficult decision. Any decision to switch would be made by the network, not by the local CBS stations, Channels 4 and 12.

BARRY JACKSON
© 2001 miami and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.miami.com

B
post #638 of 6822 Old 09-04-2002, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The new Sound Advice sale brochure offers refurbished Mitsubishi SRHD400B @ $299.95.

Two of them were probably formerly mine.

B
post #639 of 6822 Old 09-05-2002, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got a response from their operations manager, and he says that the FCC is still reviewing their latest proposal. Temporarily using WSCV's facilities does not appear to be an option at this time.
post #640 of 6822 Old 09-05-2002, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Ever wonder who the FCC is?
This is a government agency.
Now, the "reviewer" (which is more like one person) has probably 5 jobs, and one of them is reviewing station proposals.
And that person is being asked to work for Homeland security!

AND, the reviewer has to meet with 2 or 3 other people that have 5 other jobs to do.
And they get paid from our taxes!

Ever wonder why there is NO accountability in the government agencies?
post #641 of 6822 Old 09-07-2002, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if UPN ch 33 WBFS has any plans to go digital, and if so, what are they ?????
post #642 of 6822 Old 09-07-2002, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I had a conversation with one of the engineers working on that project a few weeks ago. They anticipate going live by November 1st; their broadcast day will be simulcast on the digital channel, and we can expect to see the NTSC product upconverted to 1080i. Their master control center will be similar to that of WFOR.
post #643 of 6822 Old 09-08-2002, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks alot
I assume that WTVX is in West Palm Beach, where is WBFS and their antenna?
Also both WTVX and WBFS are both UPN ?

Do either have widescreen or HiDef sources?
post #644 of 6822 Old 09-08-2002, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Both WTVX (UPN/WB Palm Beach) and WBFS (UPN Dade) are owned by Viacom. I suppose they will pass through their respective network HD feeds once they go live.
post #645 of 6822 Old 09-09-2002, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

I had that in my notes that WTVX is UPN/WB.
Which is it? UPN or WB?
post #646 of 6822 Old 09-09-2002, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

According to the info at www.100000watts.com it is both.
post #647 of 6822 Old 09-12-2002, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Is anyone in miami using an indoor Rabbit Ear Type antenna for HDTV.

I have some clients in condos where there is no DTV or Central antenna, Are they SOL?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #648 of 6822 Old 09-12-2002, 02:24 PM

Hi guys! I finally upgraded to HD this weekend when I bought one of the Mitsu HD5's one of your returned to Sound Advice.

So far so good. I'm in far west Miramar, getting some good signals with a small indoor antenna. It does seem very directional though. Antennaweb shows 7 Digital stations between azimuth 97 and 99 from my location. While the signals are pretty good, I have to move the antenna to tune in the stations. Again good signals when I get there.

Is there an antenna that I could use that would pull in a viewable signal without having to rotate it?

Thanks,

Jerry
post #649 of 6822 Old 09-12-2002, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

What's up with 18-1 not remapping to 2-1 tonight? And WBZL ruins the debut of the first HD WB series by showing it in SD?
post #650 of 6822 Old 09-13-2002, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Just spoke to the engineering department at WBZL; they were having problems last night with the HD broadcast of "Family Affair", but should have everything working right for the next HD broadcast from the network.
post #651 of 6822 Old 09-13-2002, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello, Jerry and welcome to the Forum!

Antennas do vary in directionality, but this involves a tradoff: the less directional an antenna is the more susceptible you become to problems arising from multipath reception. Multipath reception is a condition where the original, direct signal is mixed with signals that are delayed in time because they have bounced off an obstruction. That's what causes "ghosting" in analog pictures. In digital reception it can contribute to bad reception resulting in missing or corrupted data. And that means freezing pictures or none at all.

Multipath reception, where you're receiving reflected and therefore delayed versions of the transmitted signal along with the original, direct signal are really as bad as they're ever likely to get when the antenna is indoors. This is because the original, direct signal has had so much opportunity to bounce around windows, walls, doors, etc. before reaching the indoor antenna.

An outdoor antenna on the roof or in the attic would be less susceptible to multipath reception. Even so, if the transmitters are far enough apart from each other on the compass from where you are , an antenna rotator or multiple, selectable antennas might be needed to optimize analog or digital reception.

If you're able to get good reception on all the desired channels by simply making minor adjustments to your indoor antenna consider youeself lucky!

But if this drudgery is just too much for Monsieur, yet you don't want to get involved with outdoor antennas and/or rotators, (my roof has so many antennas and dishes on it that it looks like it's the roof of the Russian Embassy, but it's a flat roof on a two-story, 77 year-old Spanish Mission-style house so things are not so visible from the street) consider extending the lead that connects your antenna to your receiver so that the antenna is within easy reach from your seat so you can adjust it from there.

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #652 of 6822 Old 09-17-2002, 05:46 PM

What is going on with the sound on PBS ch 18? The last couple of times I tuned in the sound was off! All I got was an ocasional pop!. I have had problems with sound on ch18 with the dtc 100 ever since they came on the air. I would have thought that they would have solved the problems by now. Anybody else have a dtc-100 without sound problems?

Sandy
post #653 of 6822 Old 09-18-2002, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Just received an email from the Director of Engineering at WPTV. They hope to be on the air with a 1080i signal by late December of this year.
post #654 of 6822 Old 09-19-2002, 01:06 PM

In case anyone else noticed, the last two nights WPBT has been showing programs in SD. I called them and they said that they have been testing some new encoders (?) and should be back on the air with a HD signal by the end of the day tomorrow.

HD on WBZL looks awesome!!
post #655 of 6822 Old 09-19-2002, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by holtwm
In case anyone else noticed, the last two nights WPBT has been showing programs in SD. I called them and they said that they have been testing some new encoders (?) and should be back on the air with a HD signal by the end of the day tomorrow.

HD on WBZL looks awesome!!

What have you seen on WB, I have not seen anything ...

ÂNothing attempted, nothing achievedÂ
post #656 of 6822 Old 09-19-2002, 02:29 PM

(this was posted incorrectly as a thread instead of a reply)

I am trying to receive HDTV with an antenna... I am 3 blocks NE from Oakland Park Blvd and Flamingo... Are either the Terk 42 or Channel Master Stealthtenna suitable?
Or would I do just as well with a double bowtie? (is this inside or out?)

I realize that with a redwood sized rotating antenna on my house I still may not be able to receive all the HD South Florida offers. And everyones mileage WILL vary.

But could some of the senior members list what stations I should be able to receive or my antenna goes back? Also which stations carry the most "true high def" programming.

I was about to return my tv because everything looked soft and fuzzy. Then I bought the HDTV STB and saw HDNet and Sopranos and now I realize its all about the signal.

And once you have seen HDTV you gravitate towards it more. Commercial stations must know that quality is a draw.

Where in the world is Jay Leno?
post #657 of 6822 Old 09-19-2002, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mr Gimme,

I'm just north of Broward Blvd., and just east of Andrews Avenue. I'm using an indoor antenna (Terk Model 25 if I remember correctly) with a Channel Master Model 7777 broadband preamplifier. I get all the digital channels except for the Palm Beach ABC affiliate (go to www.titantv.com for complete listings). CBS appears to have the most HD programs right now. The Palm Beach Fox affiliate upconverts everything to 1080i and passes through the network's widescreen programs (the Miami Fox station, WSVN, broadcasts only in 480i, with no pass through of the widescreen shows). You may want to check out the 8pm and 9pm shows on Fox Friday night....I believe they're both new widescreen shows. BTW, I'm using the Samsung SIR-T150. And of course, there's "CSI" and "CSI: Miami" on CBS (check the listings for times and dates).

Good luck!
post #658 of 6822 Old 09-19-2002, 05:14 PM

Hey guys,

I'm getting beautiful images on WB 39 (WBZL-DT) but no sound, actually I had sound for about 2 minutes during the beginning of Family Affair then it cut out. Also, I can't pick up ABC 10 (WPGL-DT) at all. Is anyone else experiencing this?

"ana:l nathrakh, u:rth va:s bethud, dokhje:l djenve:" Merlin
post #659 of 6822 Old 09-23-2002, 01:06 PM

had the same experience with ch. 39... spoke with one of their engineers, who confirmed they 'were' having some tweaking going on, and only got the equipment for HD passthrough (similar to what Ch. 7 doesn't do yet), just last week. Also stated that they only went from one-half to full power in the past couple weeks.

At the time, he had me check 39.1 (remapped 19) strength, and it was a solid 80 here in Ft. Laud. However, an hour later it dropped to 30-40 again so I have no way of knowing if they're working on it again. They share Ch. 4's tower; and use a side-mounted digital antenna; I suspect it might be the one Ch. 4 used before they lofted their full-power one to the peak of that tower. Anyway, Ch. 39 presumably will also be able to pass-through dd 5.1 he indicated; so for the few shows they'll stream, that's good.

Other items: heard that CBS will start tonight to upconvert all programs (even news) to digital for the digital feed; which could be interesting for those of us who would rather have upconverts than black bar issues as framing issues (and burn-in risk).

I would be interested to hear what others think of Ch. 39's broadcast or signal strength tonight, during their HD transmissions.... it's the only local channel I don't get 80's or 90's on pretty soliday.... thanks!

gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #660 of 6822 Old 09-23-2002, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Gene --
I have had a solid 100 signal from 39-1 (!9) since they first came on the air. If, as you speculate, they are using the former WFOR antenna, that might be the reason, as I was told at the time that it was aimed directly at my location. I am using the basic RS outdoor antenna at about 25 miles.

As for the audio, I do not watch their programming, but have had audio on the few recent occasions when I have checked the channel. I say recent because I have a vague recollection that there might have been no audio at the very beginning.

B
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page