Forum Jump: 

post #6601 of 6821 Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpsystems View Post

Strat have you experienced any issues with your Samsung recently? Anyone else experience any issues with Samsung or other.

Samsung hdtv is using ota.

Upon startup the set displays only a black screen and repeatedly scrolls through all channels without stopping. Refuses to shut down. Not responding. At least once the volume bar also displayed and filled up while above was going on.

My 37" 720p Sammy, which is a bit over a year old, is working perfectly. I get all my TV OTA with its internal tuner, and I've had no problems at all.

Sounds like yours might have an issue. Is there some kind of reset thing you can do? Maybe unplug it for a day and see if it "resets"? If not, might be time for a service call.

One of the best things I've done is to purchase a UPS battery backup power conditioner (rated high enough to power the TV, stereo, and assorted other stuff) and connect everything to it. Considering FPL's crappy service, a UPS/BB is a small investment considering the cost of replacing all your equipment.

A few observations in general:
a) Ch. 6 definitely takes longer to "come in" than all other channels (I haven't checked 51).

b) As of a few days ago, Ch. 12 seems to have lost its PSIP - it was coming in on 13 (true RF). Haven't checked it in a while.

c) Recently connected an Xbox360 and a laptop - both look just awesome. Had to muck around with the screen settings on the laptop, but once I got it set no problems.

d) The Auto-Volume thing is great for TV, but sucks for music and PC. I wish the setting was per input, but it's global.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 6821 Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Anyone seeing any signal from WGEN-LD? Physical channel is 45.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6603 of 6821 Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I see that CBS 4 has changed its studio set. Is this a sign that they might start producing the news in HD. We can only hope.
post #6604 of 6821 Old 01-14-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

I see that CBS 4 has changed its studio set. Is this a sign that they might start producing the news in HD. We can only hope.

Yes, I believe it is! Around two to three weeks, about Superbowl time! And it is certainly about time!

Cheers!
Bryan

If you are interested in Model Railroading check my web site; Alligator Lines!
post #6605 of 6821 Old 01-15-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Pioneer Plasma n watching channel 10 local miami via direct tv hd is anyone experiencing slight picture stuttering.. its like sometimes the picture lags or skip[s ever so slightly every few minutes or so...
post #6606 of 6821 Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Moderators Note: A new Miami / Ft. Lauderdale topic dedicated to Comcast has been created, and can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1216983

Please direct all Comcast discussion to the new topic, thanks.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #6607 of 6821 Old 01-18-2010, 02:20 PM

For those of you looking for WJAN Channel 41 (AmericaTeVe) over the air digitally, they are broadcasting on channel 48.1. WFUN Channel 48 (CaribeVision) is broadcasting on channel 48.2. Not sure how this affects WJAN's VHF-9 plans that have been reported.
post #6608 of 6821 Old 01-20-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyellowtuna View Post

Does anyone know the status of the vod feeds on Advanced Cable's Coral Springs system? I use to watch unencrypted feeds on a Samsung with Qam tuner on channels 107, 108, 109, and 110. The feeds went away several months ago and I haven't seen them since. Did they move or did Advanced start encrypting these channels so they won't work with Qam tuners?

I don't want my kids to accidentally come accross any unencrypted VOD feeds. Can anyone confirm whether Advanced Cable is scrambling the feeds now. If not, can you tell me what channels the feeds were moved to so I can be sure to block them on my TV? THanks.
post #6609 of 6821 Old 01-24-2010, 01:17 PM

WFOR is supposed to be HD for local news starting tonight at 6:30.

Walt

Growing OLD is mandatory, growing UP is optional.
post #6610 of 6821 Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Getting a lot of static in the audio in the AFC Championship on CBS4. This is a local issue.
post #6611 of 6821 Old 01-24-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

CBS4 news is in HD. Looks very good. The field cameras are not HD. Weather is also not in HD.
post #6612 of 6821 Old 01-24-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

CBS4 news is in HD. Looks very good. The field cameras are not HD. Weather is also not in HD.

Yes, it does look pretty good! As they said during the newscast, weather is next followed by the field!

Cheers!
Bryan

If you are interested in Model Railroading check my web site; Alligator Lines!
post #6613 of 6821 Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

CBS4 was doing the Super Bowl pregame show outside Dolphins Stadium in HD today. It looked beautiful. Hopefully they get the local news field reports in HD soon.
post #6614 of 6821 Old 02-10-2010, 08:10 AM

Liked: 13
I set up an OTA antenna on my office's roof in Hialeah to pick up and record the HD Metropolitan Opera broadcasts on WPBT (2.1). On the "premiere" airings, I get a relatively decent picture, give or take a little noise and occasional pixelated dropouts. I usually cap one repeat showing in case something goes wrong on the first broadcast date.

I have noticed a **huge** picture quality drop between the first airing and the repeats, with the repeats being darker and way softer than the premieres. In fact, they look like SD upscaled through a cheap DVD player! I wrote to the station's tech staff about this but never received an answer. I suppose they broadcast the premiere directly from their satellite feed, while they record it, compress the bejesus out of it and use this copy for the reruns, assuming no one cares enough to notice the difference.

I know PBS has to be shabby by nature, in order to promote their "struggling, desperately in need of funding" profile during pledge week, but are they really so broke that they can't afford a 1TB hard drive ($69.95 ea. at Best Buy and big enough to store all ten broadcasts of the season uncompressed) to keep the picture quality of their reruns? Heck, I'd be willing to give them a copy of my own ElGato caps of their premiere MET broadcasts!

Since they usually air two reruns of these shows, I'll cut down my yearly donation by two thirds, but I am sure this will not change anything...

Has anyone else noticed this?
post #6615 of 6821 Old 02-15-2010, 07:50 PM

Just posted QAM Channel list for Comcast Doral FL 33178 as received in a LCD TV with Digital Card

Its here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1216983
if anybody is interested

post #6616 of 6821 Old 02-16-2010, 09:06 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1115 View Post

I set up an OTA antenna on my office's roof in Hialeah to pick up and record the HD Metropolitan Opera broadcasts on WPBT (2.1). On the "premiere" airings, I get a relatively decent picture, give or take a little noise and occasional pixelated dropouts. I usually cap one repeat showing in case something goes wrong on the first broadcast date.

I have noticed a **huge** picture quality drop between the first airing and the repeats, with the repeats being darker and way softer than the premieres. In fact, they look like SD upscaled through a cheap DVD player! I wrote to the station's tech staff about this but never received an answer. I suppose they broadcast the premiere directly from their satellite feed, while they record it, compress the bejesus out of it and use this copy for the reruns, assuming no one cares enough to notice the difference.

Received response from WPBT:

I am in receipt of your e-mail regarding HD re-broadcasts. While I
don't agree with your comment about our HD up-converted broadcast
looking like VHS we are on the road to improve this area of our
operation. Although it won't happen right away we are hopeful to add HD
record capability to our server by years end. Currently we have to
record in standard definition and up-convert for broadcast. While yours
is the first complaint I have received about questionable quality issues
we know that that adding HD record capability is necessary. I'm sorry
for your dismay with our broadcast.

Graham Simmons
Sr. VP Engineering/Operations
WPBT2

So I was not imagining things...
post #6617 of 6821 Old 02-16-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1115 View Post

While yours
is the first complaint I have received about questionable quality issues
we know that that adding HD record capability is necessary. I'm sorry
for your dismay with our broadcast.

This further supports the theory that 99% of viewers simply don't care about quality.

It's any wonder stations ever upgrade equipment at all!
post #6618 of 6821 Old 02-17-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

This further supports the theory that 99% of viewers simply don't care about quality.

It's any wonder stations ever upgrade equipment at all!

And this is the wind we all are pushing against. While maybe not 99% the vast majority think stretched SD content is adequate. This unfortunate fact will continue to mean less bandwidth per channel and lower pq.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large
post #6619 of 6821 Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post

And this is the wind we all are pushing against. While maybe not 99% the vast majority think stretched SD content is adequate. This unfortunate fact will continue to mean less bandwidth per channel and lower pq.

Hopefully, as more people watch Blu-Ray and play Xbox on their TV, their standards with regards to picture quality will become higher. The only way providers will increase the quality of their content is if the public demands it.
post #6620 of 6821 Old 02-18-2010, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Strat View Post

Hopefully, as more people watch Blu-Ray and play Xbox on their TV, their standards with regards to picture quality will become higher. The only way providers will increase the quality of their content is if the public demands it.

Do you mean the same way they have wanted more quality in audio by demanding more SACD & DVD-A releases? The iPOD/iPHONE MP3 mentality rules unfortunantely.
post #6621 of 6821 Old 02-19-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

But HD channels have 5.1DD
post #6622 of 6821 Old 03-16-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone seeing WEYS-LD on channel 54?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #6623 of 6821 Old 03-18-2010, 12:19 PM

Several days ago they acknowledged numerous calls with the problem but today they completely failed to address the problem on their end. NBC 6 instead of addressing viewers concern point their finger at the viewing public using ota.

After numerous rescans the problem was still there as expected but their response was again to cast blame on the viewer.

The telephone number to NBC 6 is 305-379-6666 and the person I spoke with is Kirk Davis who claimed was an engineer.

Reception is still on on 31.3 31.4 31.5 and and not on 6.1 6.2 6.3 as should be and there is nothing NBC 6 is apparently willing to do about it.

If you have over the air and are experiencing the same problems please contact them so hopefully they can be resolved.

Also please post the results of your conversation. Thanks

Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed. - George Burns
post #6624 of 6821 Old 03-18-2010, 08:05 PM

I would report it to the FCC. They'll stop real quick once they get a call from them. You can not broadcast on frequencies that are not licensed to you.
post #6625 of 6821 Old 03-18-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post

I would report it to the FCC. They'll stop real quick once they get a call from them. You can not broadcast on frequencies that are not licensed to you.

What evidence is there that the station is broadcasting on an unlicensed frequency?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #6626 of 6821 Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 AM

Happy Friday To Everyone,
Yesterday channel 6 experienced rare problem with a PSIP generator. This generator glitched and went offline. The PSIP generator translates NBC 6's actual channel, which is RF 31, to our virtual channel 6. Off air viewers saw this as a drop out on channel 6. Doing a rescan of converter boxes and off air receivers brought the signal back to viewers' boxes but not on our virtual channel of 6 but our actual channel of 31. We replaced the faulty component yesterday so a rescan of your converter box or receiver will now bring you back to channel 6.

You see, in this age of digital technology, the channel that you view broadcasts stations may or may not be the actual channel frequency that is broadcast from the digital transmitter. Here at NBC our digital transmitter broadcasts on RF channel 31 (575 MHz). We digitally translate that channel to channel 6. This was done when I first turned on the digital transmitter on July 1, 2003. We did this to minimize confusion. Our off air analog was channel 6 and our off air digital virtual reception is channel 6. I hope this clears things up.

Please understand that at times it may seem that the engineers at the station are not interested in ensuring the best reception quality to the public, but in truth this is far from the truth. We all care a great deal about quality and are willing to work around the clock to ensure that you're getting the best possible picture, sound and customer service. We all know how hard the bad economy has hit our great nation. The television industry has not been immune to its effects. The engineer that you spoke to over the phone was busy trying to resolve the problem at the same time as speaking to you. We are two-handed people doing jobs that require a dozen hands. But, with that said, we are determined to make sure that you the customer are taken care of.

If you have any more questions please feel free to email me at Earnest.Walker@nbcuni.com

Earnest Walker
Transmitter Engineer ~ Remote Operations
WTVJ NBC 6 ~ WSCV Telemundo 51
Miami ~ Ft. Lauderdale, FL
post #6627 of 6821 Old 03-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DredTek View Post

Happy Friday To Everyone,
Yesterday channel 6 experienced rare problem with a PSIP generator. This generator glitched and went offline. The PSIP generator translates NBC 6’s actual channel, which is RF 31, to our virtual channel 6. Off air viewers saw this as a drop out on channel 6. Doing a rescan of converter boxes and off air receivers brought the signal back to viewers’ boxes but not on our virtual channel of 6 but our actual channel of 31. We replaced the faulty component yesterday so a rescan of your converter box or receiver will now bring you back to channel 6.

You see, in this age of digital technology, the channel that you view broadcasts stations may or may not be the actual channel frequency that is broadcast from the digital transmitter. Here at NBC our digital transmitter broadcasts on RF channel 31 (575 MHz). We digitally translate that channel to channel 6. This was done when I first turned on the digital transmitter on July 1, 2003. We did this to minimize confusion. Our off air analog was channel 6 and our off air digital virtual reception is channel 6. I hope this clears things up.

Please understand that at times it may seem that the engineers at the station are not interested in ensuring the best reception quality to the public, but in truth this is far from the truth. We all care a great deal about quality and are willing to work around the clock to ensure that you’re getting the best possible picture, sound and customer service. We all know how hard the bad economy has hit our great nation. The television industry has not been immune to its effects. The engineer that you spoke to over the phone was busy trying to resolve the problem at the same time as speaking to you. We are two-handed people doing jobs that require a dozen hands. But, with that said, we are determined to make sure that you the customer are taken care of.

If you have any more questions please feel free to email me at Earnest.Walker@nbcuni.com

I’ve been hoping/waiting for better response

It was time for channel 6 to step up and acknowledge there was a problem although I'm disappointed some of your statements are inaccurate or disingenuous.

How could channel 6 be working on a solution as you claim when they failed to acknowledge the problem.

In the interest of accuracy channel 6 and its engineering department were informed of the problems, therefore claims it was a rare incident are inaccurate or disingenuous.

It became incredibly frustrating channel 6 engineering kept denying having further problems and instead continued its state of denial when they suggested the viewer should rotate their ota rooftop antenna or call the manufacturer of the unit because the station was transmitting properly according to them.

I'm disappointed by the lack of communication, the viewers notifying the station of the problems who left their number and were instructed by the engineering department to rotate the antenna or call the manufacture of the unit based on the claims by engineering that no problems existed should have been called and informed the ongoing problems were as a result of the stations equipment not the viewers. Let's make one thing perfectly clear, the continuous issues were not isolated to just one day as you would have others believe.

Although I disagree with your version of events, thank you for taking the time to post on avs forum and acknowledging that channel 6 was in fact experiencing problems.

Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed. - George Burns
post #6628 of 6821 Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpsystems View Post

I've been hoping/waiting for better response

It was time for channel 6 to step up and acknowledge there was a problem although I'm disappointed some of your statements are inaccurate or disingenuous.

How could channel 6 be working on a solution as you claim when they failed to acknowledge the problem.

In the interest of accuracy channel 6 and its engineering department were informed of the problems, therefore claims it was a rare incident are inaccurate.

It became incredibly frustrating channel 6 engineering kept denying having further problems and instead continued its state of denial when they suggested the viewer should rotate their ota antenna or call the manufacturer of the unit because station was transmitting properly according to them.

I'm disappointed by the lack of communication, the viewers notifying the station of the problems who left their number and were instructed by the engineering department to rotate the antenna or call the manufacture of the unit based on the claims by engineering that no problems existed should have been called and informed the ongoing problems were as a result of the stations equipment not the viewers. Let's make one thing perfectly clear, the continuous issues were not isolated to not just one day as you would have others believe.

Although I disagree with your version of events, thank you for taking the time to post on avs forum and acknowledging that channel 6 was in fact experiencing problems.

I just e-mailed Earnest to find out what's happening with the out-of-phase audio on live studio broadcasts (e.g., local news).

The audio has been this way for probably over a year (I lost count of how many months), and nobody seems to acknowledge this or care about it, including the viewing public as well as people on this board.

When I see an announcer/anchor/reporter in the middle of my screen, I expect their voice to come directly from the center channel. It's this way on every other newscast in South Florida except for NBC6. On 6, anchors' voices come from all around without any kind of focus whatsoever. It's extremely annoying, and I really wish that NBC6 would either admit that's the way they want it, or fix it!
post #6629 of 6821 Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Strat View Post

I just e-mailed Earnest to find out what's happening with the out-of-phase audio on live studio broadcasts (e.g., local news).

The audio has been this way for probably over a year (I lost count of how many months), and nobody seems to acknowledge this or care about it, including the viewing public as well as people on this board.

When I see an announcer/anchor/reporter in the middle of my screen, I expect their voice to come directly from the center channel. It's this way on every other newscast in South Florida except for NBC6. On 6, anchors' voices come from all around without any kind of focus whatsoever. It's extremely annoying, and I really wish that NBC6 would either admit that's the way they want it, or fix it!

I reported this same problem to Earnest 2 years ago. I think they have problems to figure what a 5.1 system is.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #6630 of 6821 Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I reported this same problem to Earnest 2 years ago. I think they have problems to figure what a 5.1 system is.

I received a reply from Earnest earlier. He advised that he'd get back to me on this. I'm hopeful.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page