AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesk8er View Post

WLTV (Tournament of Roses parade) and WAMI (Telefutura dubbed movie, HD and SD versions of the same program).

Hey acesk8er:

I don't know if you're still reading, but I was wondering if you could do me a favor. Could you look at the Miami stations and check for the presence of a number of bars in the usage line in TSReader that are flashing red and green (or just solid red) with PIDs that are roughly in the 0x0200 range and if you spot them, send me new captures for them? It's for this service:

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/articles/2010/06/18/daily.4/

And I don't know which stations are involved. I suspect WLTV/WAMI and WSFL possibly might be involved, but those stations don't have nearly enough bandwidth to make it happen, so it has to be on some other broadcasters as well.

Thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 6822 Old 06-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Something is up with WSCV but I don't think it's what you are looking for.

WSCV 6-19-10.zip 1.666015625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip WSCV 6-19-10.zip (1.7 KB, 1 views)
post #6663 of 6822 Old 06-19-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting.

Yes, WSCV is doing something strange, and has been for some time. I'm not sure what NBC is up to with that one.

No, it's not what I'm looking for. Apparently, they announced the launch without actually launching anything yet. That said, keep an eye open. You may still see it pop up in the next week or two.

- Trip

N4MJC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6664 of 6822 Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradiohead View Post

I am curious if anyone has received WSBS-DT in South Florida? If so, are they running sub-channels and what are they carrying?

I notice there is NO forum for the Key West area on the AVS Forums and that is why I am posting here. Thanks for any replies in advance.

I'm in Pembroke Pines and I receive WSBS-DT with perfect reception using my homemade indoor DB-2 antenna.

As far as sub-channels go, I have no idea because I only found out I was receiving the signal after I downloaded PowerDirector 8 and there it was. I knew Comcast was offering it, but I thought WSBS only had a low-powered repeater in Miami, so I thought I had to be in Key West to get WSBS-DT. I can't be pulling in the Key West signal from 130 miles away so it must be local, but I'm receiving it in HD at 18 Mbps and I wouldn't think a low-powered station could do that.

I e-mailed the station a couple of months ago to ask them what the channel's frequency was so I could manually enter it in Media Center and they blew me off. I assume they didn't know and didn't care to find out. Although it's a pain in the ass because I have to manually enter a lot of channels, I may do another signal set-up in Media Center and hopefully WSBS-DT or WSBS-LD or whatever will be automatically detected and I could check for sub-channels.
post #6665 of 6822 Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WSBS-CD is on channel 50 in Miami. The query is regarding the WSBS-DT signal on channel 3 in Key West, as people looking to receive low-VHF signals over very long distances would love to try to receive it.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #6666 of 6822 Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WSBS-CD is on channel 50 in Miami. The query is regarding the WSBS-DT signal on channel 3 in Key West, as people looking to receive low-VHF signals over very long distances would love to try to receive it.

- Trip

Thanks for clearing that up. I remember coming across your site a year ago during the digital transition. I should have bookmarked it. Anyway, I entered 50 as the RF for WSBS-CD and there it was.

I'm just surprised to find a low-powered station transmitting an HD signal at 18 Mbps. Other low-powered stations transmit SDTV at 8 Mbps whereas full-powered stations transmit SDTV at 12+ Mbps, so I wouldn't have expected low-powered HDTV to look that good. But, obviously, it's possible.

Thanks for rabbitears.info
post #6667 of 6822 Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A digital signal is a digital signal. Power level has no bearing on the amount of bandwidth they have available. It just happens that WSBS-CD has chosen to dedicate it all to a single HD feed whereas many low-power stations split it into multiple SD subchannels.

Do you receive any of the other low-power stations in Miami? And what kind of receivers do you have in your Media Center PC (or do you know)? Is it a 32-bit version of Windows? (I've yet to encounter a person in Miami for which all three of those questions have satisfactory answers, meaning I'm missing a significant amount of information on Miami's low-power stations. Depending on what your answers to those questions are, I may ask if you'd be willing to lend me a hand with correcting some things on RabbitEars. )

Thanks for your kind words about RabbitEars; I'm glad you enjoy it.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #6668 of 6822 Old 07-01-2010, 04:03 PM

I just came home to find that WXTV has dropped Retro TV in favor of LATV, a Spanish programming channel. OK, the demographic is what it is, but aren't there several affiliates down here who carry LATV? Is RTV available anywhere else? I was really enjoying Magnum PI, Incredible Hulk, Adam 12 etc.
post #6669 of 6822 Old 07-27-2010, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ch. 4 is now using HD weather graphics. It took 6 months but they look very good.
post #6670 of 6822 Old 07-31-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayt View Post

I just came home to find that WXTV has dropped Retro TV in favor of LATV, a Spanish programming channel. OK, the demographic is what it is, but aren't there several affiliates down here who carry LATV? Is RTV available anywhere else? I was really enjoying Magnum PI, Incredible Hulk, Adam 12 etc.

I think the Spanish channels out number the English channels down here. You have the all spanish channels and the English channels that have Spanish sub-channels. This digital transition is NOT providing the variety that I thought it would. The local stations are finding the cheapest programming possible for there multi-casts. The only sub channel that's worth watching is universal sports and that's only if you can tolerate the sub-standard picture quality. I'd love to see someone in this area pick up Retro TV, but HEAVEN FORBID we should lose a Spanish channel or a useless channel showing weather graphics.
post #6671 of 6822 Old 07-31-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WSFL is supposed to be adding This TV at some point.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #6672 of 6822 Old 08-01-2010, 05:54 AM

WSFL has added This TV as channel 39-3, I saw it the other day. Cartoons on now.

Walt

Growing OLD is mandatory, growing UP is optional.
post #6673 of 6822 Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampaw View Post

WSFL has added This TV as channel 39-3, I saw it the other day. Cartoons on now.

Walt

It's about time too.

http://www.thistv.com/
post #6674 of 6822 Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Apologies if this has been covered or I'm in the wrong forum but is there someplace I can find an installer for a rooftop antenna? My knees are telling me it's a bad idea to try it myself. FWIW, I'm in Broward County. Thanks.
post #6675 of 6822 Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHands View Post

Apologies if this has been covered or I'm in the wrong forum but is there someplace I can find an installer for a rooftop antenna? My knees are telling me it's a bad idea to try it myself. FWIW, I'm in Broward County. Thanks.

Latta TV and Video Service 305 251 5848
They are located in Miami-Dade, but might also do Broward.

B
post #6676 of 6822 Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the lead on Latta - I'll call them Monday but I'm doubtful. They're in Kendall, about 50 miles from me.

If anyone knows another company, I'd appreciate it.
post #6677 of 6822 Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHands View Post

Try Hank at Half Moon... 954-946-0950. He's done a bunch of work for me, including an outside antenna and does a really good job.
post #6678 of 6822 Old 08-09-2010, 11:32 AM

Thanks Marty. I'll give him a call.
post #6679 of 6822 Old 08-19-2010, 09:59 AM

RetroTV in HD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DMA 17, 38
RetroTV Launches In HD In Miami
TVNewsCheck, Aug 16 2010, 12:49 PM ET

On Friday, Aug. 20, RetroTV will become available to more than 4 million Florida viewers with a new high-definition service.

RTV HD will be carried by independents WHDT-CA Miami (DMA 17) and by WHDT Stuart (West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce, DMA 38) on the stations' primary channels. Both stations are owned by Günter Marksteiner.

"As the first RTV HD affiliate, WHDT viewers can watch their favorite old TV shows in studio-grade quality direct from the master archives of RTV," Marksteiner said.

RTV's Neal Ardman added: "We are thrilled to both return to West Palm Beach. Now even more Floridians will be able to watch RTV. We couldn't be happier about launching our first HD feed, it is the beginning of a new era for RTV," he added.

RTV provides each of its affiliate a customized feed with classic hit shows, in addition to local programming including news, weather and sports.
post #6680 of 6822 Old 08-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpepin View Post

RetroTV in HD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DMA 17, 38
RetroTV Launches In HD In Miami
TVNewsCheck, Aug 16 2010, 12:49 PM ET

On Friday, Aug. 20, RetroTV will become available to more than 4 million Florida viewers with a new high-definition service.

RTV HD will be carried by independents WHDT-CA Miami (DMA 17) and by WHDT Stuart (West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce, DMA 38) on the stations' primary channels. Both stations are owned by Günter Marksteiner.

"As the first RTV HD affiliate, WHDT viewers can watch their favorite old TV shows in studio-grade quality direct from the master archives of RTV," Marksteiner said.

RTV's Neal Ardman added: "We are thrilled to both return to West Palm Beach. Now even more Floridians will be able to watch RTV. We couldn't be happier about launching our first HD feed, it is the beginning of a new era for RTV," he added.

RTV provides each of its affiliate a customized feed with classic hit shows, in addition to local programming including news, weather and sports.

Nice! I live in Broward County. That channel is non-existent in my area.
post #6681 of 6822 Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 PM

RetroTV returns to WPB as HD service RTV HD. It is carried exclusively by local TV station WHDT STUART on COMCAST 9.1 (QAM), 17 (SD), 438 (HD); DIRECTV 44 [soon to move to 9]; AT&T 9 (SD), 1009 (HD).

In Miami, RTV HD is carried by WHDT MIAMI. It is available on AT&T 9 (SD), 1009 (HD).

You should have no trouble receiving WHDT MIAMI in Fort Lauderdale on OTA 9.1.
post #6682 of 6822 Old 08-19-2010, 09:15 PM

RTN launched its RTV HD service at 10 pm tonight in South Florida. Local Miami station WHDT MIAMI (9.1) is carrying the feed, which tonight is primarily a test assortment of RTV fare.

In the West Palm Beach market, RTV HD affiliate WHDT Stuart is carried on: AT&T channels 9 (SD), 1009 (HD); DIRECTV channel 44 (SD) [soon to be moved to channel 9]; COMCAST channels 9.1 (QAM), 17 (SD), 438 (HD).

The regular schedule will begin this weekend. A full program grid can be downloaded by visiting < www.x2c.us > "WHDT World Television Service".

30 hours of original HD content is part of the programming. This includes hunting, fishing, boating, diving, racing shows produced in HD 720p/60, plus nationally syndicated first-run HD programs such as "Heartland".

Retro shows are being aired in "component video" quality direct from the master tape archives. RTN is using the bandwidth offered by the HD transport stream to deliver what was formerly "studio grade" to viewer's home screens. The video images appear without side bars to avoid screen "burn-out" through use of a mathematically-correct non-linear expansion algorithm that duplicates the human vision off-axis correction system. Of course some material from 16mm film stock cannot be fully restored without creating "animation" artifacts so these shows appear closer to the degraded originals.

If you liked the old shows when they aired in NTSC, then you should like them again.
post #6683 of 6822 Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 AM

I live in North Broward and am still not able to pick up this signal with a 30 element UHF Yagi. Just a faint "haystack" on the spectrum analyzer ( RF Ch. 44 ). I was told that they are on "emergency power". Hopefully, they will be at full power soon.
post #6684 of 6822 Old 08-20-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I'm in downtown Fort Lauderdale, and I don't get that channel either (OTA 9.1).
post #6685 of 6822 Old 08-22-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I live in North Broward and am still not able to pick up this signal with a 30 element UHF Yagi. Just a faint "haystack" on the spectrum analyzer ( RF Ch. 44 ). I was told that they are on "emergency power". Hopefully, they will be at full power soon.

I thought that WHDT was a low power station. If that's the case we'll never be able to receive it in Broward. I have the channel listed on my TiVo lineup but have no signal detected in my tuner.
post #6686 of 6822 Old 08-23-2010, 06:05 AM

I think by sometime in September, WHDT is suppose to put out enough power to reach southern / central Palm Beach County from the South Broward / north Dade transmitter facility.
post #6687 of 6822 Old 08-23-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:

I think by sometime in September, WHDT is suppose to put out enough power to reach southern / central Palm Beach County from the South Broward / north Dade transmitter facility.

Thanks! That's great news.
post #6688 of 6822 Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Does Comcast carry HDNet or HDNet Movies in this area?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #6689 of 6822 Old 08-30-2010, 11:54 AM

No, Comcast carries neither in this area! It would be nice if they would!

Cheers!
Bryan

If you are interested in Model Railroading check my web site;
!
post #6690 of 6822 Old 08-31-2010, 06:13 PM

Tomorrow is the big day when I dump cable TV ($$ savings biggest motivation) and have a rooftop antenna professionally installed. Does anyone live due south of MIA ? How do other people handle the inevitable rooftop antenna/hurricane dilemma ? I am having a telescoping antenna mast installed with the antenna (Channel Master UHF/VHF) so I can at least get the thing down to roof top level. Suggestions, advice welcome.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page