post #6691 of 6821 Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDCat View Post

No, Comcast carries neither in this area! It would be nice if they would!

Thx.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 6821 Old 09-06-2010, 03:55 AM

Liked: 10
Why doesn't Comcast in Broward carry WHDT? It carries every other local channel and subchannel.

Isn't RetroTV HD an oxymoron? How can old tv programs be aired in HD? They weren't filmed in HD. Just because its HD resolution doesn't make it actual HD.
post #6693 of 6821 Old 09-06-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiocean View Post

Tomorrow is the big day when I dump cable TV ($$ savings biggest motivation) and have a rooftop antenna professionally installed. Does anyone live due south of MIA ? How do other people handle the inevitable rooftop antenna/hurricane dilemma ? I am having a telescoping antenna mast installed with the antenna (Channel Master UHF/VHF) so I can at least get the thing down to roof top level. Suggestions, advice welcome.

Why does it need to be professionally installed? Its just an antenna. Its not like its a dish that needs to be aimed at at specific point.

I imagine you could just unmount it if a hurricane is coming. Andrew was the first Hurricane that hit this area in my lifetime(33 years) and most people had cable by then. So somebody who's really old would be better to answer this.
post #6694 of 6821 Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 AM

According to my friend in Boynton Beach, the WHDT version of Retro TV is vastly different from the one we are all used to. Mainly for me, no Adam-12 or Dragnet at 5 and 5:30...
post #6695 of 6821 Old 09-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat84 View Post

Isn't RetroTV HD an oxymoron? How can old tv programs be aired in HD? They weren't filmed in HD. Just because its HD resolution doesn't make it actual HD.

The "old programs" you refer to were not filmed in widescreen but they were filmed using the highest quality equipment available at the time. That high quality will shine through perfectly on an HD channel. You will see these programs in a way you never thought possible.
post #6696 of 6821 Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post

The "old programs" you refer to were not filmed in widescreen but they were filmed using the highest quality equipment available at the time. That high quality will shine through perfectly on an HD channel. You will see these programs in a way you never thought possible.

True, except for the stretch-o-vision. I can't watch a distorted picture no matter how its high quality shines through.
post #6697 of 6821 Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Strat View Post

True, except for the stretch-o-vision. I can't watch a distorted picture no matter how its high quality shines through.

I haven't been able to receive the Retro Channel yet, but I do not believe they are stretching their programs. They may be reformatted to widescreen in such a way that the original picture is not distorted. This process was done with the old Seinfeld episodes shown on channel 39-1. The picture is widescreen but the image looks normal. They crop the top and bottom of the picture to make it wider. If you have not seen it check it out.
post #6698 of 6821 Old 09-09-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

I haven't been able to receive the Retro Channel yet, but I do not believe they are stretching their programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksteiner View Post

RTN launched its RTV HD service at 10 pm tonight in South Florida. Local Miami station WHDT MIAMI (9.1) is carrying the feed, which tonight is primarily a test assortment of RTV fare.

[...]

The video images appear without side bars to avoid screen "burn-out" through use of a mathematically-correct non-linear expansion algorithm that duplicates the human vision off-axis correction system. Of course some material from 16mm film stock cannot be fully restored without creating "animation" artifacts so these shows appear closer to the degraded originals.

Mr. Marksteiner is the owner of WHDT.

Also from http://rickcaylor.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=4867538 :

Quote:

The RTV HD is very hard to wtch the picture on old 4:3 programmes as ben strecthed out to fit a 16:9 screen.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6699 of 6821 Old 09-10-2010, 06:23 PM

This WPLG FCC "application to cover" made me pull the OTA stuff out of the garage. (DTT-901, Winegard SS-3000.)

The extra power definitely helps a lot here in central Palm Beach County. I was hoping that a power increase would make indoor reception of Miami's VHF stations as easy getting the Miami UHF's but it still took quite a bit of tinkering to find a good spot. Those of you who are closer to the Dade / Broward line will get more out of it. By comparison WSVN barely registers a blip with the same setup.
post #6700 of 6821 Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 PM

Anyone having issues with WSFL-DT (39.1) lately?
I'm about 23 miles from the transmitters, but it seems the signal quality is poor.
Tried watching the Dolphins/Pats game last Monday, and the stream kept breaking up every few seconds. Totally unwatchable..

By contrast, WFOR-DT (4.1), whose transmitter is at the same location (Distance/Compass direction according to antennaweb.org), I have perfect reception.

I'm an HDTV newb!!!
post #6701 of 6821 Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 AM

Good morning guys,

I have a comcast tech coming saturday to do a cablecard install. I have been trying to find out if miami is using SDV or not but cant find anything conclusive. Does anyone know if Miami is in fact using SDV?

Thanks!
post #6702 of 6821 Old 10-08-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

acesk8er:

Any chance you can catch me new TSReader data on WTVJ, WSCV, and WSFL? If you're able to pick up any of the low-power stations, I'm missing most of those as well.

WSFL added This TV, and I'm hearing that WTVJ and WSCV may be dedicating some bandwidth to Mobile DTV.

Thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #6703 of 6821 Old 10-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Any using U-Verse in the 33173 area or close? I just ordered and they state they can now feed 4 HDTV's at the same time. I will check with the installer when they come out.

Also, how do you like U-Verse?
I have had D* for 15 yrs now but my isp is crap.
post #6704 of 6821 Old 10-08-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel L. View Post

Any using U-Verse in the 33173 area or close? I just ordered and they state they can now feed 4 HDTV's at the same time. I will check with the installer when they come out.

I have Directv for TV and U-Verse 24 Mbps for isp. I would stick to Directv and get U-Verse for the internet only.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #6705 of 6821 Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 PM

Hey Trip, I captured the stream data from the easy-to-get stations. The Decontis viewer decodes the M/H stream from WSCV. It's a down-conversion of the main HD program, see enclosed screen cap. I can't get the Miami LPTV's.

TSReader Captures 10-8-10.zip 69.99609375k . file
post #6706 of 6821 Old 10-08-2010, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cool, thanks. Wonder why you couldn't catch WTVJ...

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #6707 of 6821 Old 10-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini0 View Post

Anyone having issues with WSFL-DT (39.1) lately?
I'm about 23 miles from the transmitters, but it seems the signal quality is poor.
Tried watching the Dolphins/Pats game last Monday, and the stream kept breaking up every few seconds. Totally unwatchable..

By contrast, WFOR-DT (4.1), whose transmitter is at the same location (Distance/Compass direction according to antennaweb.org), I have perfect reception.

I have the same problem with both channels from time to time and, to a greater degree, with WTVJ 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3. It's caused by multi-path interference. The same interference that caused ghosting in the old analog system causes a breakup of the signal in the new digital system. If it's really bad, you may need to switch to a good outdoor antenna that picks up UHF signals.
post #6708 of 6821 Old 10-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Has anyone heard any news about when WHDT 9.1 is going to operate at full power. I still cannot get this channel and it is not carried by Comcast in Broward County.
post #6709 of 6821 Old 10-22-2010, 04:49 AM

Check out: http://www.sfltv.com/2010/10/22/wtvj...-news-channel/

Early next year!

Cheers!
Bryan

If you are interested in Model Railroading check my web site; Alligator Lines!
post #6710 of 6821 Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Has anyone heard any news about when WHDT 9.1 is going to operate at full power. I still cannot get this channel and it is not carried by Comcast in Broward County.

This station's OTA signal is for all practical purposes its STL to Comcast's Palm Beach cable headend. You're not missing anything as most of the programming is infomercials. No more "WHDT Sports World Exclusive" horse jumping re-runs... ;-)
post #6711 of 6821 Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
For anybody in Weston who has Advanced Cable, have they added any new HD channels lately?
post #6712 of 6821 Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm moving from Memphis, TN to Coral Springs in 2 weeks. Is this the correct thread I should follow or the West Palm Beach one? Coming in to say hi.

Ok next question, we will be in zip code 33065. I use Comcast internet currently and they said they don't service the range of the house we are going to rent. Are my other options only Advanced Cable or ATT? If so how are the speeds? I will be working from home temporarily so I need to have a reliable internet connection.

I use OTA and record as much as possible from that instead of the D* feeds. Doing a antennaweb search looks like we are mostly around 20 - 23 30 miles from the different towers. Good times for me!

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #6713 of 6821 Old 11-04-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I'm moving from Memphis, TN to Coral Springs in 2 weeks. Is this the correct thread I should follow or the West Palm Beach one? Coming in to say hi.

Ok next question, we will be in zip code 33065. I use Comcast internet currently and they said they don't service the range of the house we are going to rent. Are my other options only Advanced Cable or ATT? If so how are the speeds? I will be working from home temporarily so I need to have a reliable internet connection.

I use OTA and record as much as possible from that instead of the D* feeds. Doing a antennaweb search looks like we are mostly around 20 - 23 30 miles from the different towers. Good times for me!

Welcome to South Florida. You're in the right place for Coral Springs. In CS, your options for internet are AT&T and Advanced Cable. I had a business in Coral Springs for a while and had Advanced for both TV and Internet. They were OK... there were periodic outages as I used to have with Comcast in my home. Also, speeds would vary depending on how many people were using the shared bandwidth, but that wasn't a major problem that we had. We also offered free WiFi to our customers using Advanced so it worked well.

At home I use AT&T and their 6 Mb package for internet. It's worked very reliably and I get good throughput. Both are good, so I suspect you might want to consider what other options you might need, via TV and Phone and make your decision that way.
post #6714 of 6821 Old 11-14-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel L. View Post

U verse told me the same thing. Its been 8 months and I noticed when I am recording 2 shows my wife can't watch anything in HD in the bedroom. Call ATT and they said thats how it is. So 4 HDTV my BUTT! Looks like I am going back to Comcast. Hopefully they are not compressing the channels too bad.
post #6715 of 6821 Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Cool, thanks. Wonder why you couldn't catch WTVJ...

- Trip

I tried again, this time the the latest version of the Decontis viewer. The WTVJ M/H service was present this time, however, neither it nor the M/H service from WSCV play for more than a couple of seconds before freezing. No problem with the normal MPEG2 services.

Notice the exclamation mark next to the 'WTVJ' mobility icon in the enclosed screen capture. Also note that the ESG icon is off. The Decontis manual says that ESG is "mostly unnecessary" for ATSC M/H so this may or may not be the problem.
LL
post #6716 of 6821 Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cool, thanks. I wonder what's up with the MH services not working right for you. I'll get to test the New York ones in about a month and a half and see if they work any better for me than you. I actually bought a license for the Decontis software since I was so pleased just to see something that could go so far as to display the channel names.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #6717 of 6821 Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Hey Trip, here are TSReader captures for some of Miami's LPTV's.

TSReader Captures 12-4-10.zip 12.3291015625k . file
post #6718 of 6821 Old 12-05-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks! Very much appreciated.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #6719 of 6821 Old 12-06-2010, 12:56 PM

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing as I am.

All channels BUT Channel 7/WSVN comes in loud and clear. Channel 7 comes in clear picture wise, but the audio has a bit of a garble to it.

If it helps at all, HDTV with OTA outside antenna.

Is it just me???
post #6720 of 6821 Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Advanced Cable added some more HD channels:

ION HD
Weather Channel HD
Disney Channel HD
Lifetime HD