Forum Jump: 

post #6781 of 6821 Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

Anyone know of an inside HDTV antenna to pick up OTA channels? I have a TERK but it does not pick up more than 6 stations. I know I should be able to get more than that.

I am in Coral Springs and use Dish Network with OTA module installed in a 722K DuoDVR.

THANKS

I use an amplified TERK with a directional UHF antenna and the rabbit ears extended all the way but short two sections. Channels 5, 7, 10, & 12 are all on VHF and the rabbit ears should be two sections short of being fully extended. A full extend of the dipoles will result in weak or no signal on those channels. All other channels are on UHF and the directional antenna should point in the direction of their transmitters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 6821 Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post

I use an amplified TERK with a directional UHF antenna and the rabbit ears extended all the way but short two sections. Channels 5, 7, 10, & 12 are all on VHF and the rabbit ears should be two sections short of being fully extended. A full extend of the dipoles will result in weak or no signal on those channels. All other channels are on UHF and the directional antenna should point in the direction of their transmitters.

THANKS! I will try that.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #6783 of 6821 Old 08-26-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend

THANKS! I will try that.
Let me know how it works for you.
post #6784 of 6821 Old 08-26-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend

THANKS! I will try that.
When adjusting the antenna, adjust for the UHF channels first, then adjust the rabbit ears for the VHF without moving the position of the UHF part of the antenna. Let me know how you make out.
post #6785 of 6821 Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

When adjusting the antenna, adjust for the UHF channels first, then adjust the rabbit ears for the VHF without moving the position of the UHF part of the antenna. Let me know how you make out.

jstrazz: installed the OTA module and the antenna - now have 35 additional channels!

Thanks for your help!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #6786 of 6821 Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

jstrazz: installed the OTA module and the antenna - now have 35 additional channels!

Thanks for your help!

You are very welcome. Glad I could help. ?
post #6787 of 6821 Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 AM

I'm a complete noob to this, so please bare with me. I have a new Sony Led with free standard cable in my building. I plugged the cable in and scanned for digital channels and am able to pick up 21, all of the networks in crytsal clear HD. Someone told me that the cable signal was compressed and it would look better if I hook up an air antenna instead. To me it looks crystal clear, can it really get better?
post #6788 of 6821 Old 09-27-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker305 View Post

I'm a complete noob to this, so please bare with me. I have a new Sony Led with free standard cable in my building. I plugged the cable in and scanned for digital channels and am able to pick up 21, all of the networks in crytsal clear HD. Someone told me that the cable signal was compressed and it would look better if I hook up an air antenna instead. To me it looks crystal clear, can it really get better?

I haven't had cable down here so I can't comment on if they compress it, which they probably do, but the person that told you that is correct. You will always get the best local HD PQ available to you via OTA (over the air antenna). As long as you can get a consistent signal with no dropouts you should be good. If you get a higher signal on say 6 compared to 4 it doesn't mean you are getting better PQ. A 50% signal will look the exact same as a 90% signal.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #6789 of 6821 Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

On a whim I decided to give Comcast another look to see if they service me in Coral Springs. I called today, and was told my address is serviceable now. They couldn't find my address in form the install team so they gave me another # to call. I ended up calling the Coral Springs Comcast number and they told me yes my address was serviceable.

I am going to call the install group other number tomorrow and will report if I get another rejection. Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #6790 of 6821 Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker305 View Post

You may or may not be able to tell the difference, but an antenna will deliver a completely uncompressed signal as opposed to cable. I have both cable (with a cable box) and antenna (attached to my TiVo box) and I see no difference.
post #6791 of 6821 Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

On a whim I decided to give Comcast another look to see if they service me in Coral Springs. I called today, and was told my address is serviceable now. They couldn't find my address in form the install team so they gave me another # to call. I ended up calling the Coral Springs Comcast number and they told me yes my address was serviceable.

I am going to call the install group other number tomorrow and will report if I get another rejection. Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up.

After speaking with multiple levels it looks like Coral Springs is still Advanced territory. ugh.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #6792 of 6821 Old 11-30-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:

After speaking with multiple levels it looks like Coral Springs is still Advanced territory. ugh.

double ugh. I dropped them like a stone over a year ago and don't miss them.
is there any info on channel 9, RETRO TV in particular? I get all the OTA available but I can't even get a hint of that one. weren't they supposed to be increasing their signal strength?
post #6793 of 6821 Old 11-30-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayt View Post

is there any info on channel 9, RETRO TV in particular? I get all the OTA available but I can't even get a hint of that one. weren't they supposed to be increasing their signal strength?

Not sure if they've increased their strength, but I believe they are broadcasting WeatherNation.
post #6794 of 6821 Old 01-14-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Great time for WSVN to go dark on D*. Bastards

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #6795 of 6821 Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Great time for WSVN to go dark on D*. Bastards

That's the kind of stuff that happens when greed steps in!

Comcast and OTA are both OK!

Cheers!
Bryan

If you are interested in Model Railroading check my web site; Alligator Lines!
post #6796 of 6821 Old 01-14-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDCat View Post

That's the kind of stuff that happens when greed steps in!

Comcast and OTA are both OK!

I can't get Comcast here and not getting any OTA for them at my house. blah.

I moved my antenna so I could pick up Fox out of WPB more reliably.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #6797 of 6821 Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
From Multichannel News
Quote:

Sunbeam's Miami Station To Let DirecTV Carry NFC Title Game Amid Retrans Fight

Satellite TV Subs Will Be Able to Watch WSVN's Jan. 22 Primetime Lineup

By Todd Spangler

Sunbeam Television said it will allow DirecTV to broadcast the NFL's NFC title matchup between the New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers this Sunday, even as the two parties remain deadlocked over retransmission-consent fees.

Sunbeam pulled Miami's WSVN, the local Fox affiliate, along with Boston's WHDH (NBC) and WLVI (CW) stations from DirecTV at midnight on Friday, Jan. 13. DirecTV says the station owner is asking for a 300% hike in fees, while Sunbeam has said it is seeking only what other pay-TV providers pay.

"WSVN-TV is still negotiating with DirecTV, but we care about our viewers, and we want them to be able to watch this game, which will determine who goes to the Super Bowl," Robert Leider, executive vice president and general manager of WSVN-TV, said in a statement.

DirecTV's Miami subs -- which include bar owners -- will be able tune in to Fox's coverage of the NFC championship game starting with the pregame show at 6 p.m. Eastern on Jan. 22. WSVN also will provide the post-game show, American Idol and a late edition of Miami's 7 News that night.

"We're pleased that Sunbeam is doing the right thing for our customers and NFL fans in Miami," DirecTV spokesman Robert Mercer said. "We look forward to getting a deal done quickly and on reasonable terms."

Meanwhile, DirecTV's Boston-area DirecTV subs could be facing a blackout of NBC's Super Bowl XLVI telecast on Feb. 5, in which the Patriots could be playing for their fourth championship title, if the dispute is not resolved by then.

According to Leider, DirecTV's claim that Sunbeam is asking for a 300% increase is "totally misleading."

"A few years ago DirecTV was paying us nothing. Now we are asking for only a few cents a day," he said. "Fox receives half of that, and we need to keep them satisfied to maintain our affiliate relationship. Meanwhile cable channels with far less viewers receive far more compensation from DirecTV."

Leider added, "DirecTV is a multibillion-dollar company that takes advantage of a small company like ours. DirecTV is offering us far less than what they are paying other TV stations."

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #6798 of 6821 Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
WSVN is back on Directv. They reached an agreement today.
post #6799 of 6821 Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
From Deadline.com

Quote:

DirecTV And Sunbeam Settle Boston And Miami TV Carriage Disputes

By David Lieberman

DirecTV customers in the Boston area don’t have to worry about being unable to see their hometown team, the New England Patriots, play in the Super Bowl against the New York Giants. The program carriage dispute, which began on January 14 when Sunbeam took its stations off of DirecTV, ended the way most do: A lot of noise before reason prevails. DirecTV had said that Sunbeam wanted a 300% price increase, which the satellite company wouldn’t pay. But the companies aren’t disclosing financial terms.

Here’s DirecTV’s release:

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jan. 26, 2012 – DIRECTV released the following statement today:

“We are pleased to have reached an agreement to end the Sunbeam blackout, and regret that any of our customers were forced into the middle of a business dispute where they should never have been in the first place. We believe, like many, the public interest is best served by allowing customers to keep their local broadcast stations as we negotiate future agreements, rather than being denied access by broadcast stations and used as leverage in what should be a private business matter.”

The Sunbeam-owned stations – WHDH and WLVI in Boston and WSVN in Miami – are now available for DIRECTV customers in those cities.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #6800 of 6821 Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM

I live in Miami. I have a 73" DLP television. Direct TV is having MAJOR issue in my building so I thought I would go out and get a digital antenna for my HD tv. It gets quite a few channels but it doesnt get wsvn or wplg, both miami stations. Any one have any ideas? I can get palm beach stations but no stations 10 miles from me. I am using a RCA Ant1450BR which has an Amplifier.

Anyone have any ideas? I dont want to spend $100 bucks on a terk.
post #6801 of 6821 Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Hi MiamiJoe

I live 44 miles away (Wellington) from Miami's Antenna farm. I use the AntennaCraft HDX1000. It's small and picks up all the Miami stations including 10 and 7. Channel 7 and 10 comes in at 90 up here. You could pick it up at Radio Shack Cat# 15-287
post #6802 of 6821 Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

WSVN is back on Directv. They reached an agreement today.

This was brutal not being able to watch the giants playoff games.
post #6803 of 6821 Old 01-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Is there anyway to have a tv guide or some idea what is on which channels at each time for the OTA channels?
post #6804 of 6821 Old 01-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTech View Post

Hi MiamiJoe

I live 44 miles away (Wellington) from Miami's Antenna farm. I use the AntennaCraft HDX1000. It's small and picks up all the Miami stations including 10 and 7. Channel 7 and 10 comes in at 90 up here. You could pick it up at Radio Shack Cat# 15-287

Yikes that price is pretty steep.
post #6805 of 6821 Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 PM

Does anyone have a recomendation for an indoor antenna with strong VHF signal pickup as I have now tried this,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&loc...

this was actually pretty good for $3 but had weak signal for VHF which is important as abc and fox are VHF in my area.

I went locally and purchased this,

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...6.00+-+%249...

It is better than the $3 one but it is still only at 73ish signal strength. It is serviceable but I would like one with stronger VHF reception as this one is kind of spotty and even has issues when I just open the door or walk by the antenna. Anyone have a recommendation? Do I need one with an amplifier?

I am in area code 33322 (13ish miles out of miami) on the third floor of an apartment building. I really am looking for a budget antenna or a way to boost VHF reception on either of these two antennas.

Thanks!
post #6806 of 6821 Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynastyy View Post

Is there anyway to have a tv guide or some idea what is on which channels at each time for the OTA channels?

Press the Guide button?

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #6807 of 6821 Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

Hi jstrazz

Can you tell me exactly which TERK antenna you have? It appears that there are many different types of TERK antennas and I want to get the right one for my sister who lives in Coral Springs. Thanks for your help.

Cal68

Cal68
post #6808 of 6821 Old 02-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

Hi jstrazz

Can you tell me exactly which TERK antenna you have? It appears that there are many different types of TERK antennas and I want to get the right one for my sister who lives in Coral Springs. Thanks for your help.

Cal68

Hi All

Can anyone give me advice on what type of Indoor TERK antenna works well in the Fort Lauderdale area? I need to get one for my sister and I would really appreciate any advice in this matter. Thank you very much for your help.

Cal68

Cal68
post #6809 of 6821 Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

Hi All

Can anyone give me advice on what type of Indoor TERK antenna works well in the Fort Lauderdale area? I need to get one for my sister and I would really appreciate any advice in this matter. Thank you very much for your help.

Cal68

Hi all
Sorry for the late reply but I'm just reading the post. I don't know the model TERK antenna that I have. All I can tell you is that it's amplified and has a directional "yagi" type element for UHF and rabbit ears dipoles for VHF. The important thing is its AMPLIFIED. Without the Amplification, your reception will be poor or non-existent. Also, you should move the antenna as far away from the TV itself as possible. You may want to even extend the length of the cable between the antenna and the TV. And most important, DO NOT extend the dipoles to full length. Shorten them two sections as that is the correct length for VHF High band which is where the VHF channels in the Miami and West Palm Beach areas are.
post #6810 of 6821 Old 04-01-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Ch. 39 is off Directv due to a contract dispute with Tribune. Hopefully this will be resolved soon and not last 2 weeks like the dispute between WSVN and Directv back in January.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page