post #661 of 6822 Old 09-24-2002, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gene inger

Other items: heard that CBS will start tonight to upconvert all programs (even news) to digital for the digital feed; which could be interesting for those of us who would rather have upconverts than black bar issues as framing issues (and burn-in risk).

WFOR-DT has always upconverted all non-HD programming to 1080i.

What is changing is that the CBS network will start uopconverting non-HD primetime programming to 1080i for distribution on their HD network rather than relying on local stations to do it. This will ease local stations' ability to switch-in local breaks and enhance their performance when it comes to getting the HD feed on the air instead of accidently going to the SD feed by mistake. This will affect the primetime schedule only, not daytime nor latenight.

Depending on the format converter the network uses versus the one your local station has been using, you may see an improvement in picture quality. But expect to continue to see sidebars on 4:3 programming. (I, for one, refuse to watch stretched images. I operate the contrast and brightness on my rear-projection CRT HDTV at moderate, "normal" levels rather than in the blazing mode as delivered from the factory and after 2-1/2 years have yet to see a burn-in.)

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 6822 Old 09-25-2002, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

What's the latest on Palm Beach's NBC affiliate? With the rumors of e.r., Frasier, and Conan going HD, I need to be able to receive something. Unfortunately, NBC is no longer transmitting the feed over the satellite in a way that I can receive...
post #663 of 6822 Old 09-25-2002, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wjbjr
Gene --
I have had a solid 100 signal from 39-1 (!9) since they first came on the air. If, as you speculate, they are using the former WFOR antenna, that might be the reason, as I was told at the time that it was aimed directly at my location. I am using the basic RS outdoor antenna at about 25 miles.

As for the audio, I do not watch their programming, but have had audio on the few recent occasions when I have checked the channel. I say recent because I have a vague recollection that there might have been no audio at the very beginning.

Did you notice that the image was more to the right of the TV? When the commercial came I had like 1/2 of the black bars on the right and 1 imch on the left , Anyone else ?

ÂNothing attempted, nothing achievedÂ
post #664 of 6822 Old 09-26-2002, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

WPTV's new tower construction is well under way. They're telling anyone who asks that they hope to be up around the end of the year.

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #665 of 6822 Old 09-26-2002, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jluzbet

Did you notice that the image was more to the right of the TV? When the commercial came I had like 1/2 of the black bars on the right and 1 imch on the left , Anyone else ?

Yes, I noticed the same thing.

"ana:l nathrakh, u:rth va:s bethud, dokhje:l djenve:" Merlin
post #666 of 6822 Old 09-26-2002, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jluzbet

My side black bars are of equal width. Perhaps my TV is crooked.

B
post #667 of 6822 Old 09-26-2002, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wjbjr

My side black bars are of equal width. Perhaps my TV is crooked.

Its only happening when they trasmit HD, not SD

ÂNothing attempted, nothing achievedÂ
post #668 of 6822 Old 09-27-2002, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

NBC ........................ Where are you in DT land ???????????????????
post #669 of 6822 Old 09-28-2002, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 120
George,

The Palm Beach affiliate expects to go live by the end of December. No change in status for the Miami affiliate; they're still trying to work something out as far as their channel assignment is concerned. Meanwhile, WPLG-ABC has found the perfect "solution" to their audio problems...they've turned the volume all the way down!
Just hope I'm able to pick up the Palm Beach ABC affiliate when they go to full power.

Rudy
post #670 of 6822 Old 10-01-2002, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

WBZL (WB) ch 19 remapped to 39-1 was blank yesterday during Everwood(?).
Seems that they are still working out the problems.
When I went to see the signal strength it was bouncing from 0 to 6.
And in signal lock ???????????
post #671 of 6822 Old 10-01-2002, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Rudy1;
Will NBC by the end of December expect to go live in High Power from Palm Beach ?
Are they saying they will start to do low power testing b4 that?
post #672 of 6822 Old 10-01-2002, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

George,

WPTV Director of Engineering David McKinley stated that he is very anxious to get a 1080i signal on the air as soon as possible....everything they can do to improve the time line is being done. He did not indicate whether or not the late December target date was for a full power signal or when they might begin testing. I will try to obtain further info next month and report my findings here.
post #673 of 6822 Old 10-01-2002, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if WPLG is aware of the audio problems when picking up the ABC NET HD feed? It is so bad, it sounds like very low mono in Dolby Digital...
post #674 of 6822 Old 10-02-2002, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I just spoke to Darren, their chief engineer, and he was not aware of the problem. He said they'll look into it.
post #675 of 6822 Old 10-02-2002, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy1
I just spoke to Darren, their chief engineer, and he was not aware of the problem. He said they'll look into it.

Last night (10/1), the audio "NYPD Blue" was a disaster. No 5.1. No rear speakers at all. The volume was so low as to be completely inaudible, and had to be increased to near the top of the scale. When the local cut-ins came on at "normal" volume, it was ear splitting loud.

At the beginning of their DT broadcasting, Darren was advised by several of us that they were not passing 2.0 audio through in appropriate SD transmissions. As I recall, he was going to "look into it". In the 2-3 years since, nothing has been done to correct that situation.

Strangley, my Denon A/V receiver displays "Dolby D" with all WPLG-DT programming. With all other channels, it only does so for 5.1.

Rudy, I believe that you opined in an earlier post that they don't think that there are enough DT viewers to warrant too much of their attention. I am inclined to agree with you. Perhaps if we could get enough people to complain, they would view it differently. Have you ever contacted the station manager about this? Maybe Darren is the problem.

B
post #676 of 6822 Old 10-02-2002, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Bill,

Darren told me this morning that he had not been monitoring their HD feed "in a while", so maybe that's the problem. Both my Denon and my Sony AV receivers display DD 5.1 for WPLG-DT, but the rears sometimes don't have any sound coming from them at all. I've written to the station manager twice since they've been on the air with a digital signal, and I have never received a response. In fact, Darren is just about the only one who has ever communicated with me regarding issues with the digital channel. And their programming manager got pissed at me once when I called her to complain about them preempting a network HD movie to show a different movie in SD.

TV stations in this country had better wise up and realize that if they have no viewers, they have no business. All this crap about "not enough HD households" is just their way of avoiding the hard work required to get things working right. They know the bulk of the network HD programming takes place during primetime, and while this transition to DTV is underway they should have SOMEONE on duty to monitor what's going on. They should welcome the opportunity to get feedback from early adopters on how they're doing, and they should do something to correct the problems that are reported instead of hoping that "nobody's watching". As difficult (and expensive) as this whole deal is for the stations, it's NOT rocket science so I'm not cutting them any slack. They were all in on the process before the transition began, and if they felt they couldn't hack it they should've said so then and gotten out of the business. All this whining and complaining about the "lack of a business model for HD", coupled with an absolute lack of interest in the quality of their transmissions, just makes me sick. If you're going to do something, either do it right or don't do it at all. The guys at WPBT & WFOR seem to find time to make sure things are working properly....WPLG was first on the air with a digital signal so they should not still be having these kinds of problems.
post #677 of 6822 Old 10-02-2002, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Amen, Rudy. Well said.

B
post #678 of 6822 Old 10-02-2002, 09:04 PM

It has been a busy year for the engineering staff that has the responsibility for three analog stations and three DTV stations. WBFS-DT and WTVX-DT are currently under construction. We expect to sign both of the new DTV stations on before the November 1 deadline. The last week of October is the expected time frame. The programming will be upconverted until the new DTV master control facilities are completed. The plan is to pass along all of the UPN and WB HD programming that will be available. We are currently working on the new facilities. This is necessary to in order to bring you the same high quality program material you have been accustom to seeing from WFOR-DT. The engineering staff at WFOR / WBFS / WTVX is the best I have ever had the pleasure to work with. They are completely committed to their work and are to be commended for all they have accomplished.

It has been a pleasure speaking with you all privately and publicly. I thank you for the valuable feedback you provided when WFOR-DT first signed on the air. That seems like ages ago. That brings me to my next topic.

I am leaving WFOR and beautiful South Florida and I wanted to tell you all good by.
I have accepted a similar position with another CBS station and begin my work there next week. This has been an exciting experience for me. I wish you all good luck and many hours of DTV enjoyment . Keep watching.

Sincerely,
W4GUY
aka
Richard A. Paleski
Director of Engineering
WFOR / WBFS/ WTVX
post #679 of 6822 Old 10-02-2002, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Rich--
As one who has communicated with you both privately and publicly, I want to thank you for the great work you did bringing us WFOR-DT.

Best of luck with your new job. We will miss you.

P.S. Before you leave town, would you please stop by at WPLG-DT and get them straightened out. (See posts immediately preceding yours.)

B
post #680 of 6822 Old 10-09-2002, 07:35 PM

Did anyone else catch the test loop on WPLG's digital feed? I had just finished watching Enterprise (one day HDef...one day..), and was surfing the digital channels on my Mitsu STB when I see /hear some test signals on WPLG. I tuned in at about 9:05 and the tests went on for 5 minutes or so. Saw a clip from 2001 Dalmatians (looked OAR), got a color bar test pattern...man wish one of the digitals would broadcast this baby in HDef on down time like they used to do on the analogs a long time ago... went through a Digital Dolby 5.1 test (kinda like the one on video essentials where the guys voice walks around your room and says each speaker position), and there was a very clear (this looked on par with the CBS HDEF promo loop to my untrained eyes) clip of a show I did not recognize...a woman looked like she was dressed as a "belly" dancer and was dancing around some guy. BTW the DD test was loud and clear in all five channels on my system....hopefully this means WPLG is getting the audio issues fixed. Oh yeah, almost forgot the best part...there was a stage engineer with one of those devices TV/movie studios use to start scenes...the thing they slap together before someone yells "action"....it has something like 720P test printed on it....and he just smacks the thing together like 10 -20 times...while someone in the background just rattles off the number of times he is doing takes...all the while in 720P HDTV....this stuff was much cooler than the bachelor
post #681 of 6822 Old 10-09-2002, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

That was possibly a test pattern sort of thing originating from the network and intended for use of the affiliates. They get on the air every once in a while, probably by mistake.

B
post #682 of 6822 Old 10-10-2002, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I've seen that test loop several times on WPLG. It always appears to get on by mistake, and the DD 5.1 always works flawlessly when they play it. Wish we could get a hold of their chief engineer's home phone number....we could all flood him with calls whenever the audio screwed up. :-)
post #683 of 6822 Old 10-10-2002, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, this test ruined my night. I was attempting to record The Bachelor to DVD, and they "flipped the wrong switch" at the exact time that they should have switched to the network feed. Another coaster for me.
post #684 of 6822 Old 10-13-2002, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey everybody, I just purchased a 16x9 TV and a Hughes E86, and was looking forward to watching the Tenn VS Georgia game on WFOR in HDTV yesterday, however when I tuned to the game, it was 4x3 with the bars on the side for SD programming. I asked WFOR and they insist it was sent in HD 1080i 16x9, but it just goes against what *I* saw. Weirder is their normal shows (Touched by an Angel, for example) DID come in 16x9 last night. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Rolando
post #685 of 6822 Old 10-13-2002, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Rolando,

The game was supposed to be in HD, but apparently whomever was at the controls didn't flip the switch. WFOR just lost their chief engineer, Rich Paleski, to another CBS station. I hope this doesn't mean that things are going to start to get sloppy at WFOR. They have been doing an excellent job of passing though the network's HD feed so far. I suggest you call the station manager, Steve Mauldin (305-639-4400), to complain. I called and left him a voicemail message.

Rudy
post #686 of 6822 Old 10-13-2002, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was starting to think I was losing it. IT sucked watching the game in 4x3 like that. Though I will say this much.. CBS for upconverting their material looks very good, I just wish they would stretch.
post #687 of 6822 Old 10-13-2002, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Most of the people on this thread do not favor the stretching of the images. I like it because it gives me the option of using my STBs gray bars to view a 4:3 image instead of the black bars in use by all of the stations.
post #688 of 6822 Old 10-15-2002, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, the audio problems on WPLG are driving me nuts. On Sunday we were popping popcorn again, and tonight NYPD Blue was DD1.0! Does anyone know what the problem is?
post #689 of 6822 Old 10-16-2002, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think anybody on this forum knows exactly what the problem is with WPLG's audio. The station's chief engineer has been made aware of the various problems several times over the past two years, but nothing has changed. I've written to the station's manager and received no response. I wish the DTV transition included quality control standards for stations and broadcasters to follow, with provisions for hefty fines for non-compliance.
post #690 of 6822 Old 10-16-2002, 08:54 AM

Same thing is happening to me on my HD100 in Coral Gables. Frustrating as hell. Maybe it's time to upgrade my antenna and try to tune in to WPBF instead. I guess I will have to at least give it a try. Anyone else in Miami tuning in WPBF successfully?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page