Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, FL - HDTV - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 6822 Old 10-16-2002, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sent a note to Darrin (Chief Eng. at WPLG) 'thanking' him for fixing the audio popping (the most recent series the other day, which activated the protective circuitry of my Sony DA7 it was so pronounced), and for raising the muted sound levels of DD. Well, looks like they degraded it again for unknown reasons, and no response.

Also sent a note (big joke...but not funny for those fans of NBC) to the CE at WTVJ, and again no courtesy of a response. With the HD/digital market penetration in So. Fla., you'd think they'd all realize they have viewers in size, not just the handful of enthusiasts on this site. Hopefully all of us in unison will not forget to keep reminding them of their service committment.

cheers!

gene

gene

Advertisement

post #692 of 6822 Old 10-16-2002, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I called WPLG earlier today and spoke to engineering. They said they're looking into the problem, but I've been told that before. As for WPBF, I just spoke to their engineer and they're at 3/4 of max power right now. He suggested trying an elevated, deep fringe UHF antenna, but felt that Broward and Dade viewers would not be able to pick up WPBF's digital signal because of the distances involved. I don't have that option at the moment, so I just won't watch ABC if WPLG continues to have problems.

The engineering dept. at NBC 6 says they're going HD in December, but they did not give me a specific date for testing or anything. They said that we could expect to see "promos" regarding the matter.
post #693 of 6822 Old 10-16-2002, 10:40 AM

About receiving WPBF in Miami. I am now living in the FIU area (Coral Way and 105 Ave.) I just set up my two antennas, an 8 Bay bowtie for UHF and a 10 element Yagi for Ch.7-13, at about 20' high. I get WFLX with 92% signal on my HD100, as well as all the Miami stations at 95%. I have monitored the WPBF signal and it comes and goes (except late at night, when there was Tropo, and the signal came up to 80%), but I think that going 20' higher might pull it in. One problem we have is that Ch.17 is pumping a lot of signal into our receiver front end, as well as the signals close to me from Ch.41, located at 137th. Av. and 11 St. NW, about 5 miles from me. I am thinking of getting a dedicated cut-to-channel Yagi and attaching it to the side of my Ham tower, at 40 feet. Will let you know the results.

Jose
W2JD

By the way, when I was living in Boca Raton, I had only a 4 Bay bowtie and 5 elements on the Yagi, and was able to get all the Miami stations the same as now, and WPBF at 85%, so the fellos in Broward should do well with a decent antenna.
post #694 of 6822 Old 10-17-2002, 01:44 PM

Jose,

I wouldn't put too much effort in trying to receive WPBF-DT here in Dade County. I'm using a 37 element (UHF only) yagi at 150' AGL near N. Bay Village and only get an 03-09 signal on my E86 during the day and 80-100 during early am tropo openings. I actually get better analog signals out of Orlando CH 27 (WRDQ) than WPBF CH 25 in Tequesta. Hopefully, WTVX-DT UPN 34 will have a better signal when they come up, but there transmitter is very close to WPBF's.

73's

Mark
post #695 of 6822 Old 10-18-2002, 09:40 AM

"...I just won't watch ABC if WPLG continues to have problems."

Looks like this is going to be the answer for me as well unfortunately...

Does anyone know if WBFS is going to be subscribing (or is subscribed to) Paramount's "HD One"?
post #696 of 6822 Old 10-21-2002, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I called them earlier this afternoon specifically to ask why they were broadcasting their letterboxed shows (like "Angel" and "Birds of Prey") inside of a 16:9 black frame instead of zooming the image to fill the screen. The gentleman I spoke to in the engineering dept. said he didn't realize it was like that and that he would discuss it with the other engineers to see what could be done to address the issue. He also asked if I was aware of their HD shows, and , indicated that they appreciate hearing from viewers of their digital channel.

--------------------------

WB39 WBZL
2055 Lee Street
Hollywood, FL 33020
phone:
954-925-3939 (Broward)
305-949-3900 (Miami-Dade)
fax: 954-922-3965
post #697 of 6822 Old 10-22-2002, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

"I just won't watch ABC if WPLG continues to have problems."

Things seem to have changed...at least for now.

Last night's football game came through on the digital channel in real 2.0, including rear speakers. The volume was a bit low, but was equalized between network and local origination. No more sudden loudness.

The few minutes of the Saturday night movie that I watched for observation purposes appeared to be in true 5.1.

For the first time ever on WPLG-DT, the Denon A/V is showing "Pro Logic" when not in 5.1 instead of the previously constant "Dolby D" for all programming. (Those are the only two displays shown without pressing other mode buttons.)

No popping.

We shall see what happens with "NYPD" tonight. As noted earlier, last week it was in 1.0 -- or less. (I shall TiVo the baseball game from 10-11 and then catch up to real time.)

We can but hope that this is a permanent thing and that they have finally seen the light -- or should I say heard the sound.

B
post #698 of 6822 Old 10-22-2002, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Bravo WPLG! NYPD sounds excellent. I'd love to know what the problem was.
post #699 of 6822 Old 10-23-2002, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed that whenever they switched from the network feed to the local feed the audio would go from DD 5.1 to Pro Logic. It was not at all amusing to watch my Sony receiver's display switching back and forth over and over again as they went to and from commercials. I hope they have indeed resolved their audio issues permanently .
post #700 of 6822 Old 10-23-2002, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like they're now doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing. Now you can decode in Pro-Logic when only DD 2.0 is available. Previously you'd just get front-left and front-right with no ability to decode Pro-Logic when only DD 2.0 was available. Your decoder is switching automatically as it is supposed to.

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #701 of 6822 Old 10-23-2002, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

As Paul Atreides would say, "I see the truth of it".
post #702 of 6822 Old 10-24-2002, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by holtwm
"...I just won't watch ABC if WPLG continues to have problems."

Looks like this is going to be the answer for me as well unfortunately...

Does anyone know if WBFS is going to be subscribing (or is subscribed to) Paramount's "HD One"?

Per an email message I received this morning, WBFS does subscribe to Paramount's HD One package, so they will have whatever high definition offerings that package provides. WBFS is on schedule for a November 1 live date.
post #703 of 6822 Old 10-24-2002, 06:22 AM

Sweet!!!! Looks like no more worrying about WPLG sound problems on Saturday nights. Thanks Rudy1.
post #704 of 6822 Old 10-24-2002, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

I really enjoyed watching Enterprise last night! The picture was so CLEAR! I am used to the fuzzy grainey NTSC picture. They are upconverting the 480 to 1080i. I also was looking forward to the Twilight Zone but they went dark around 9:03pm.
post #705 of 6822 Old 10-24-2002, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WBFS is online already!??! I thought it was supposed to be the 1st of Nov!
Wow! That totally kicks butt!
post #706 of 6822 Old 10-24-2002, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dharding
I really enjoyed watching Enterprise last night! The picture was so CLEAR! I am used to the fuzzy grainey NTSC picture. They are upconverting the 480 to 1080i. I also was looking forward to the Twilight Zone but they went dark around 9:03pm.

What is the basic DT channel number? Thanks.

B
post #707 of 6822 Old 10-28-2002, 10:16 AM

WPLG seems to be doing better now. Backdraft and A Bug's Life didn't seem to have any problems during the brief periods that I watched them. Both had excellent 5.1 sound. Also they are switching to DD 5.1 only when necessary which is a nice thing.
post #708 of 6822 Old 10-28-2002, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the heads-up about Ch. 32... comes in strong here in Ft. Laud.

Also, I concur with the improved WPLG audio; no 'pops' and cycles just as it is supposed to, between normal surround and DD (so does HBOHD by the way). I too have a Sony (DA7ES), and the indicators cycle as is the normal function as they decode signals. Very much a welcomed improvement.

Now, if only WTVJ would miraculously appear in HD, or at least respond to any of us who inquire as to their progress... unusual for a major market.

cheers...

gene

gene

post #709 of 6822 Old 10-29-2002, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Will this antenna work down here?

In order to get 18 and 22 it has to be rated for those channels right?

Televes

post #710 of 6822 Old 10-30-2002, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

According to this spec page it omits coverage for channels 13 through 20:

http://www.televes.com/ingles/noticias/pdf/1096.pdf

I don't think this unit was intended for the U. S. market.

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #711 of 6822 Old 10-30-2002, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That confirms my fear. Thanks.
post #712 of 6822 Old 10-30-2002, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

But not for a while.

This is from The Miami Herald, October 30

Posted on Wed, Oct. 30, 2002
Picture-perfect: 3 stations to go digital
BY CHRISTINA HOAG
choag@herald.com

WTVJ-NBC 6, WPXM-Channel 35 and WXEL-Channel 42 will finally be able to start transmitting crystal-clear digital pictures next year, following regulators' approval of a settlement in a three-year-old frequency conflict, parties involved in the issue said Tuesday.

The approval by the Federal Communications Commission will also allow NBC 6 and Channel 35 to transmit from the coveted towers in Hallandale Beach, a location that allows ideal broadcast penetration of the South Florida region, said attorney Matt Leibowitz, who brokered the settlement.

''This is a huge deal for us,'' NBC 6 finance director Javier Maynulet said. ``We´re very excited.´´

While most other South Florida stations have been going digital over the past two years, Miramar-based NBC 6, Boynton Beach's WXEL-Channel 42, owned by Barry University, and Paxson Communications' WPXM-Channel 35 of West Palm Beach, had been held up in a conflict over frequencies.

Under federal mandate, all television stations must be transmitting digital signals by 2006. Digital signals deliver an ultra-crisp image on high-definition television sets.

The dispute among the three stations stemmed from NBC 6 and WPXM-Channel 35 applying for the same digital frequency -- 31 -- three years ago.

But when NBC later bought a 30 percent stake in Paxson, one of the terms of the deal was that WPXM would seek another frequency. Paxson's new requested frequency, 27, then conflicted with WXEL's application for Channel 26, Leibowitz said.

Transmitting on two channels next to each other will create signal interference in some areas.

However, in the settlement, the stations compromised. ''Each one is going to accept some interference,'' Leibowitz said.

Paxson Communications spokeswoman Nancy Udell said the company is pleased the issue is resolved. ''We're going to begin construction post-haste,'' she said.

NBC 6 is also planning to build its Hallandale transmission base immediately, with the goal of broadcasting digital by mid-2003, Maynulet said. The investment will be about $2 million for the equipment, he said.

Up until seven years ago, NBC 6 had transmitted from the Hallandale antenna. But as part of a 1995 deal involving NBC and CBS stations in Philadelphia, NBC agreed to swap its South Florida tower with CBS, whose WFOR was then transmitting from Homestead.

The Homestead signal, however, does not allow penetration of northern Broward County, and NBC 6 had to use another frequency, Channel 58, to reach that area.

Maynulet said NBC 6 had reserved the right to return to the Hallandale transmitter in the future.

© 2001 miamiherald and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.miami.com

B
post #713 of 6822 Old 10-30-2002, 07:29 AM

Looked at their brochure per your link; and it's clearly for CODFM (or the European digital standard); not that it wouldn't work in So. Florida, but most regular antennas do a fine job in our flat terrain as you likely know.

I'm using the TV55, which few like, in Ft. Laud. and pull everything in very strongly, including the early PB stations too! A friend has that stealth-like Radio Shack sweapt amplified antenna; and gets even stronger signals (but no more stations, and he's above a roof line; I'm not)... so I think it's not that tough here in So. Fla. so long as all the stations stay at full power .. just wish WTVJ, NBC, would have the courtesy to update us all on when they'll finally shift to digital (I know why they delay, but an update)...

gene

post #714 of 6822 Old 10-30-2002, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CINERAMAX
That confirms my fear. Thanks.

The cheapest ($39) RS VHF/UHF outdoor antenna receives all of the Miami stations at a location south of Coconut Grove with solid 100 readings. It also receives WPB WFLX 29-1.

B
post #715 of 6822 Old 10-30-2002, 07:36 AM

I spoke too soon... glad to see there's progress with WTVJ...

gene

post #716 of 6822 Old 10-30-2002, 08:22 AM

The Televes DAT45 will work here in the US according to there frequency band width chart. The 174-230 MHz (VHF) band covers the US Channels 7- 13 (175Mhz - 215MHz) and the 470- 862 Mhz covers Channels 14 - 69 ( 471MHz - 806MHz).

As others have said, a cheap VU-90 RS antenna will work well in S. Fla. but a Televes will last a lifetime of use.
post #717 of 6822 Old 10-30-2002, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Bill,

Thanks for posting that article clipping from the Herald. Personally, I am not impressed by their announcement. All parties involved could've been on the air much sooner if they'd agreed from the very beginning of the conflict to do exactly what it took them over two years to do...compromise. All the money and time they wasted "negotiating" is absolutely ridiculous considering that they all agreed to "accept some interference" in the end (wonder what this means for the viewers). As far as I'm concerned, they needn't bother, but I'm pleased for those of you who are looking forward to NBC's high def programming.

Rudy
post #718 of 6822 Old 10-30-2002, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Mark. and welcome to the Forum!

Do you know where this antenna can be ordered with a credit card?
post #719 of 6822 Old 10-30-2002, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

"As far as I'm concerned, they needn't bother, but I'm pleased for those of you who are looking forward to NBC's high def programming."

Rudy --

De nada.

I agree. Ironically, the only current NBC program that I watch is "The West Wing", which soon will be their only major show not offered in HD.

B
post #720 of 6822 Old 10-30-2002, 10:19 AM

Peter,

Try this site for the Televes antenna. www.cpc.co.uk

They only list the DAT45 & DAT75 (both UHF only). You might want to try contacting them at internationalsales@cpc.co.uk for your specific request of a 1096 antenna. The only US contact person for technical/sales support is: Victor.Gestal@echostar.com Give him a try also.

Mark
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page