Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 7482 Old 01-24-2003, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hey Zozobra

There was discussion at our last NMDTV users group meeting about audio troubles with the RCA DTC100 (integrated in your set). I wasn't paying attention to the details but maybe someone will chime in with more information. KNME is aware of the problem and working on it. I'm suprised you haven't gotten information directly from them. They're usually eager to help. Ask the receptionist for Jim Gale's voicemail if you haven't already.

KOB refuses to spend 45k on a HD encoder. They claim no one's watching. We need to keep up the pressure on them and Hubbard (the owner).

KASA has problems and an attitude too. Maybe they'll start passing through faux widescreen 480p someday.

Don't expect to see anything from UPN and WB until after the sweeps. They're not willing to risk knocking out their analog stations by lighting up digital. Maybe March.

Join us at our next meeting - Thursday, Feb 20th at KNME studios on University, 7:00 PM

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 7482 Old 01-24-2003, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Jim Gale finally got back to me this evening. We do suspect the RCA decoder has an incompatability with the PBS data streams. We are both doing some research into this (now that I know where the problem might be).

KASA's signal was still down this evening (I beleve it is their transmitter and not my receptions since I have very strong signals from all other stations).

Is it only me or does the 4:3 enlarged bother others too?

I plan on attending the next meeting.
post #633 of 7482 Old 01-24-2003, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After playing my Terk TV 50 indoor antenna for about 30 minutes or so I finaly got KNAT-DT's flea power at the signal strenth of 28 to 34 with some picture breaking up from time to time.

I went to see how low the KNAT-DT's transmitter output by antennta gain by ERP.

www.100000watts.com

It's was at 600 watts of ERP using STA granted by the FCC.

How strange that KNAT-DT "TBN" beats KWBQ-DT and KASY-DT is pretty silly at least IMHO!

KWBQ-DT and KASY-DT should stop worrying about Feburary rating sweeps and they should help KNME-DT a PBS station upgrade to a new inproved transmitter signal and that the right things to do!

It's time for them to stop being gready.

BTW,
KASA-DT was still sending a signal streath of 83 as a dead carrer. "Not sending picture in any form"

Its seems they have some kind of problems lately.

1-24-03

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #634 of 7482 Old 01-25-2003, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi!. Where do you go to find out about Comcast carrying DTV/HDTV? I have Comcast Digital cable and was planning on putting up a roof top antenna and getting a box for HDTV but would rather avoid all this work if I can. Are they going to charge still more $$ for this or will they allow me to swap my current box for one that receives the HD broadcasts? Appreciate an email with where to go to find out.

Thanks.

Dan Houck
dhhouck@comcast.net

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #635 of 7482 Old 01-25-2003, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
A friend of mine that has Comcast said they are now listing the local ABQ digital channels on their on-screen menu. However, I hear they are now planning a March/April roll-out of HD. Likely you would have to pay an extra charge for renting/leasing their HD tuner/decoder box. No details yet.
post #636 of 7482 Old 01-27-2003, 04:36 PM

The super bowl was fun, although the various glitches still suggest that ABC still needs a better production effort for HDTV. My DISH receiver caused the clock to be cut off with less than 50% visible. The switching between SD and HD were anoying to me, and near the end of the game there were several minute-long breakups. My guests were certainly impressed, and one will be getting a tuner for his new digital TV soon. The movie trailers in full HD and 5.1 sound were awesome. I called Koat to let them know I was pleased. Horton
post #637 of 7482 Old 01-28-2003, 01:26 AM

Fjerina
Love the letter you wrote to the Alibi. Hope it keeps published.
David

Sony 57WV600
Sony STR-DA777ES A/V receiver
Sony DVP-NS755V
Paradigm Studio 60 Front
Paradigm Studio CC Center spk
Niles HD800RP inwallsurrounds
Velodyne VA 1512 sub
Mitsubishi SR-HD400 STB
post #638 of 7482 Old 01-30-2003, 12:49 PM

As of 12:45pm today, both KRQE-DT and KOB-DT were off the air. KASA's channel 27 is coming in full-strength, but there's nothing I can receive (Hughes E86). Only KOAT-DT (both 7.1 and 7.2) are currently up. Any news on what's up? Work on the Crest perhaps?

Joe M.
post #639 of 7482 Old 01-30-2003, 01:00 PM

Indeed, no signal strength for KRQE or KOB. What is up with KASA, I havent been able to receive anything from them since last Thursday.

Also, I found a digital channel 80-1 with a 76 signal strength, but no picture. Anyone know what this is?
post #640 of 7482 Old 01-30-2003, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So far what I am getting are about the same.....

KRQE-DT channel 16, Signal Strenth 84

KOAT-DT channel 21, Signal Strenth 88

KNAT-DT channel 24, Signal Strenth 28 to 34

KOB-DT channel 26, Signal Strenth 58 to 62

KASA-DT channel 27, Signal Strenth 0, No sign of signal.

KNME-DT channel 35, Signal Strenth 0, Too weak signal for to get my indoor antenna.

All this great weather that we been having for past fews weeks they why KWBQ-DT and KASY-DT are sitting on the ass and doing nothing?!

1-30-03

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #641 of 7482 Old 01-30-2003, 05:18 PM

KRQE's response from Frank Lilley to my request not to stretch their SD feed for DT was:

> As far as the stretch we use for our 4:3 feed, yours is
> the first negative feedback we have received. When
> we first sign-on with our DTV station the viewer feedback
> was all for the stretch.

It looks awful (worse than their analog signal qulity). It also cuts off the top and bottom.

I would request that other email Frank requesting not to stretch.

Frank.Lilley@krqe.com
post #642 of 7482 Old 01-30-2003, 05:38 PM

I prefer the slightly stretched picture as both my Hughes box and Monitor (50" Panasonic) don't have the ability to stretch 1080i broadcasts (but can stretch 480p if needed). I personally like KOAT's solution: non-stretched, 1080i on 7-1; 480p broadcast on 7-2. I can then pick and choose which to observe, including the option of stretching the 480p broadcast.

If that's not an option, I'm satisified with the compromise KRQE has taken in their slightly zoomed/stretched picture.

Joe M.
post #643 of 7482 Old 01-30-2003, 05:51 PM

I cannot stretch 1080i either, but I don't want to. Losing information is just that, lost information. Also, their stretch algorithm results in flickering and aliasing on 1080i. It simply looks like a bad picture which is frustrating since it is digital.
post #644 of 7482 Old 01-31-2003, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

They printed my letter to the Alibi in this week's issue. The letter appears on page 32. Hey Guys, write some letters!!! The addresses to KOB and Hubbard Broadcasting are on the previous pages.
post #645 of 7482 Old 01-31-2003, 07:54 PM

Well Done and THANKS! A super effort; I've already written 2 letters to Hubbard. Call me an optimist, but I would guess KOB will have the needed equipment sometime soon.

(and here's an online link to the letter, good only for the next week):
http://www.alibi.com/alibi/current/o...n.html#letters
post #646 of 7482 Old 02-01-2003, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

jcmartz, thanks for writing to Hubbard.
post #647 of 7482 Old 02-01-2003, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Hello,

I am new to this thread having just added a Sammy 151 to my system. Great to see that others have been paving the road for HD newbies such as myself.

I currently am experiencing a couple issues, some of which I think are shared by others.

As background, in am in the NE Heights, a bit west of Tramway and Academy. I am using the Rat Shack, $30 Outdoor/Attic antenna (model number escapes me at the moment). It is in the attic, and aimed at the crest as well as I can get it.

First problem, I get decent signal (about 60%, same as KOAT), from KASA-DT 27, but no picture. Don't know whats up with that, but its consistent with other reports.

Next, I can not get ANY signal at all from KOB 26. NADA. Never as much a fleeting bump above 0. At one point I had an antenna sitting on a ladder in the driveway with direct line of site to the crest, and still nothing. Seems like my Sammy does not like KOB. Any Sammy owners that might have similar experiences?

Lastly, I was getting KRQE solidly (although I did loose picture last week as Joe Martz reported), got it back, but seem to have lost it again.

Today, I got around to running a permanent cable to the antenna. Fired up the box, and in addition to KOAT and KRQE, now had a solid 40% or so out of KNME (Hurray!), and also got KNAT (not that I plan to watch much).

I told the box to re-run Memorize Channels to see what it might find, and noticed that it skipped over KRQE (Digital 16). WTF? It was on 2 minutes before (this was about 3:00pm Saturday).

I thought maybe they went out again as they had earlier in the week. I rang up a friend about a mile south of my location with a Sony HD200, and he said he was till getting KRQE....with Rabbit Ears, mind you. Its in the same mode as KASA; I get a solid signal (about 60%), but no picture (the box says there is no signal).

So, I am thinking that something went away in my Sammy. I did power down, and even yanked the power cord, but no joy. Should anyone have any thoughts on the performance of the Sammy 151 here in ABQ, I would appreciate hearing them.

Best Regards,

BGL

PS: Hello Joe. This is Brian Leduc from ABQ, fellow autocrosser.
post #648 of 7482 Old 02-02-2003, 10:56 PM

Welcome BGLeduc!

I live Near Academy and Wyoming and this is what I was receiving on my Hughes E86 with my radioshack antenna model 15-1487 (same thing as terk tv50) at 10pm Sunday night.

KRQE 16 (77-85)
KOAT 21 (84-90)
KOB 26 (100)
KASA 27 (100) (although they are a dead carrier right now, no programing being sent thru.)
KNME 35 (58-65) (KNME is installing a higher power transmitter in the very near future)

I had the same problem with KRQE that you are having and after numerous hard resets I was able to pick it up again. Perhaps some hard resets are in order for your box as well.

If you read through the past posts you will find alot of interesting and useful info.

One last thing, we are all writing letters to KOB/Hubbard broadcasting in regards to them dragging their feet on bringing HDTV to KOB, and I strongly encourage you to do the same.

Good Luck and welcome!

Do or do not, there is no try.
post #649 of 7482 Old 02-03-2003, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Still no joy as of 9:00am Monday. I did call Samsung tech support, and while they seemed a bit more knowledgeable then other companies, they had no ideas.

I asked if the 151 had a reset procedure, and they said no. I am currently powered down, and will leave it that way for a bit. They said to ask the station if anything was changed around the time I lost them.

I had in fact e-mailed KRQE (Frank Lilley) to see if they had any other reports of issues with the 151. No reply yet.

Since I now know of two users with non-Samsung boxes (Sony and Hughes) that are good, it really suggests that my box has gone T.U. with regard to KRQE.

I did search here and in the ABQ Users group thread, and the best I could find was a post from last year where someone commented that they were having grief with KRQE and a Samsung box, and that the station actually had to reboot something. Hummm.

Oh well, its all new stuff, so I guess bugs are expected. Good news is that the box has about 2 weeks left on the 30 day return from Ultimate. If we can't sort this out, its going back, and I will try something else.

All I can say is that I am in awe of those that started playing with this stuff almost two years ago.

Those guys REALLY like to be bleeding edge!

BGL
post #650 of 7482 Old 02-03-2003, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I have no experience with that unit, BGL, but be sure your coax running from your antenna to your unit is a direct line and running through no splitters. I had a problem with my Dish 6000 OTA unit with splitters. Seems like the digital signals are more sensitive and can really degrade in strength going through typical splitters. Worth a try. Good Luck.
post #651 of 7482 Old 02-03-2003, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

As of about noon I am back on line with KRQE.....although I am not 100% sure what fixed the problem.

I did get an e-mail from Frank Lilley advising that they have seen some problems with Samsung boxes. He indicated that they had gotten a software update in November, but there still appear to be some outstanding issues.

In any event, he asked me to try to run set up again. He didn't say why, or if he had done anything at the station, but it was sort of implied.

Before I had seen his e-mail, I had powered the box down, and left it off starting at about 9:00. When I brought it back up at lunch time, KRQE was back.

So, it may have been that the box requires a sustained power-off cycle to equate to a proper reset, or perhaps they were able to do something at the station, or both.

I did e-mail back for clarification as to whether or not they had to do anything at their end.

Anyway, I am good to go with KRQE, at least for now.

BGL
post #652 of 7482 Old 02-03-2003, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Frank Lilley e-mailed to say that he did in fact reset a processor (Tamdberg), which corrected my problem. He also advised that they were working the issue with the manufacturer.

I guess that leaves open the question of whether or not anyone else in ABQ with a Samsung 151 box also had problems.

BGL
post #653 of 7482 Old 02-03-2003, 05:25 PM

BGL

Glad to here your back up with KRQE. Their monday night hd line-up is in my opinion one of the best arround.

Do or do not, there is no try.
post #654 of 7482 Old 02-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

[quote]Originally posted by BGLeduc
[b]Frank Lilley e-mailed to say that he did in fact reset a processor (Tamdberg), which corrected my problem.

This has happened before. I'm the one who posted about working with Frank when ALL the Sammys in town were not receiving 13. There was a system time, or timing error in the Tanberg that required a software reboot, or so I was told. I guess the new software/firmware update is not installed yet, so it would be wise to call them if there is a problem. My 150 did not see the last problem however. JR
post #655 of 7482 Old 02-05-2003, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got a sad piece of news from our local CBS station here in ABQ. Here it is. Looks like we won't be able to hear the Grammy Awards on Feb. 23 in DD 5.1 after all. Boo Hoo.

Fred, Sorry it took so long for me to reply to you query on CBS Dolby 5.1. KRQE-TV will not be able to pass 5.1 at this time. We are concentrating our resources on the completion of the DTV build out in Roswell NM and Durango CO. We hope to be able to complete the Dolby 5.1 upgrade this summer.

Franklin Lilley
Director of Engineering
KRQE-TV
505-767-9400
post #656 of 7482 Old 02-05-2003, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Little news update,

Titan TV's website saying KASY-DT will try to go on the air in March 1 and it's sister station KWBQ-DT still saying under review.

As you know Titan TV is so so information accuracy.

No news on KNMD-DT,KCHF-DT,KAZQ-DT and KLUZ-DT at this time....

2-5-03

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #657 of 7482 Old 02-11-2003, 12:45 PM

Brian,

Glad to see you here. As you've discovered, the Sammy boxes seem to have more problems than the newer Sonys and Hughes (don't even ask about the first generation Sony, the HD-100). If it's any use to you, we've tried several tuners and have settled on the Hughes E86. This box has worked without problems and I personally like the integration of DirecTV, analog, and digital channels all in one box and on one menu. Even if you don't intend to subscribe to the 3 DirecTV HD channels (or any DirecTV for that matter), it's still a pretty good deal as an off-air DT tuner.

Interestingly, I get better signal strength up here in Los Alamos than folks report in the Northeast heights. I'm either all 100 or high 80's/low 90's depending on weather, using a Radio Shack 210 outdoor antennta.

Joe M.
post #658 of 7482 Old 02-14-2003, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Breaking News!!!

KNME-DT has just cranked up their transmitting power and I am getting at high as 70 on the signal meter!!

They are still testing at varous transmit power level from the lows upper 30' to 70's.

Still no sign of KWBQ-DT and KASY-DT so far yet.

Will update later......

2-14-03

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #659 of 7482 Old 02-15-2003, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering what was happening with KNME. I haven't beeb able to receive then for a week or so. I will have to try another channel scan on my Dish 6000.
post #660 of 7482 Old 02-15-2003, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

KNME-DT is still running full power at this time and I have the feeling that KASY-DT and KWBQ-DT might be next to go on the air soon.

Any luck on your part Fjerina?

Anyhow what happen to KASA-DT I don't want to watch crappy analog channel 2 for the NASCAR racings.

Directv's bitrate is somewhat okay on WNYW and KTTV for the car racings but I do miss the KASA-DT digital channel 27 for their very nice high bit rate!!

2-15-03

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page