AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Basically the same as what I got
Quote:

Dear Don,

Thank you for your email and I just want to say that I understand your disappointment and that we are trying hard to come to an agreement with DISH network so you do not lose any of your programming. Basically Don, we are asking DISH for fair market value, DISH is already charging you the subscriber for our station and we are just asking DISH to compensate us fair market value. The rates we are asking for are a fraction of what DISH pays for many cable networks that you may never even watch. Local television stations are consistently ranked among the most-watched channels, in part because we provide local news and programming that cable networks don't offer and we host/sponsor important community service events, yet we do not get compensated fairly for the value of our stations. Nobody would find that reasonable, which is why Congress enacted laws that allow us to negotiate for fair compensation.

I hope this email has helped in answering your question. For more information; please go to www.linmedia.com

Thank you for your support of your LOCAL Stations

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 7467 Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

No offense to you close to Albuquerque, but El Paso, Lubbock or Midland / Odessa are more "Local" and are the places those of us down here go to shop out of town etc... plus their weather is more like ours.
post #7263 of 7467 Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know what March 4th at midnight means? Does it mean 12:01 am on March 4th or 12:01am on March 5th?

If it's 12:01am on March 4th, it appears LIN and DISH struck a deal as KRQE and KASA are still both on my dish network subscription.

If I jumped the gun by 24 hours, we'll see tomorrow morning what the story is.
post #7264 of 7467 Old 03-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the story is the deadline was March 5th at 12:01am - there are now slates on both KASA and KRQE about no agreement being reached, that LIN asked for a 175% fee increase (rather than the 140% increase that was mentioned a few days ago), and to go visit fairsatellite.com for more info.
post #7265 of 7467 Old 03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Well, I did a brief test this morning, and determined that
1: You can indeed view KRQE and KASA through the OTA tuner on a Dish DVR (At least on a VIP722)
2: There is no guide info available for these stations, but
3: You can set up an event to record. You just need to get your program info elsewhere and further
4: hope you don't need to record events simultaneously on these two stations, as there is only one OTA tuner.

Question: anyone know a good local TVguide listing online?

Dave

post #7266 of 7467 Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
I've never really compared any, but zap2it.com is good. Just select ota if you just want to see locals and you can edit the channels you want it to display and to show a larger 6 hr grid. Tivo uses them for their guide so it should be accurate.
post #7267 of 7467 Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Monger...

Dave

post #7268 of 7467 Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM

I had an interesting experience Friday night 3/4/11. My Comcast SA 8300HD DVR wouldn't turn on, so I did the unplug x 1 minute and replug. Lo and behold, it loaded the new Xfinity OSD in pretty blue. It was fun going through all the new options. The next day, the DVR again wouldn't boot up, so thinking I had a dying DVR, I unplugged and replugged again. This time the old OSD came up and all is working without problem. So we must be close to Xfinity deploying in Albuquerque. FWIW.
post #7269 of 7467 Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just found out on Wiki's website, saying KRQE-DT may be carrying The Country Network on ch. 13.2 coming soon.

It's all country music channel......

But I have a feeling it will be on KASA-DT ch. 2.3.

Lot's of new stuff coming soon thanks to the warm weather!!

3/7/11

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #7270 of 7467 Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Well, I did a brief test this morning, and determined that
1: You can indeed view KRQE and KASA through the OTA tuner on a Dish DVR (At least on a VIP722)
(...)
Question: anyone know a good local TVguide listing online?

Can't do it on my 625 (or a 301 from an outraged DISH customer who has a 301 and posted on the KRQE facebook page) - both receivers just pass the signal through to a TV where you will need a digital tuner in that device or in a converter box on the way to an older tv as there is no on-board ATSC tuner in those receivers.

I've been using TitanTV to help me figure out what shows are new or repeats on KASA or KRQE for planning my PC recordings. I wish DISH would quit screwing up the EPG - if you don't know about the situation by now, you've been under a rock or don't even care about watching your local channels at all on DISH Network. Clean up the EPG title and description and let the info slate on the channel itself do the updates on the situation.

KRQE/KASA Facebook is a must-read - lots of great outrage towards LIN comments on there. Even funny that KRQE still posts news items on there yet people comment like "who cares. We can't see your news on DISH".
post #7271 of 7467 Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJVega View Post

I had an interesting experience Friday night 3/4/11. My Comcast SA 8300HD DVR wouldn't turn on, so I did the unplug x 1 minute and replug. Lo and behold, it loaded the new Xfinity OSD in pretty blue. It was fun going through all the new options. The next day, the DVR again wouldn't boot up, so thinking I had a dying DVR, I unplugged and replugged again. This time the old OSD came up and all is working without problem. So we must be close to Xfinity deploying in Albuquerque. FWIW.

I had the same thing happen on Thurs 3/3. However my box didn't seem like it failed, it just went thru an update and rebooted. I was not happy with the stuff. Hitting Info twice, as you do to read info on a channel, covered over half the screen. BAD! There was no way to access my Scheduled Record List without manually going thru the guide and locating upcoming REC shows. BAD! Turning CC on/off took a bunch more button pushes rather than just Menu-up-up-right. BAD! The :08 rewind feature was about double that. BAD! I was recording a show and watching it live on the channel, hit pause for 10mins or so, then continued watching. When the scheduled recording finished, and mind you I still had about 5mins left of the show to watch, the box jumped me to live programming. It didn't care that I was still on the previous show and it would not let me rewind to where I was before. I had to go to the record list, start the show and FF to where I was before being booted out. BAD! VERY BAD!

I called Comcast and was told that the update was not supposed to roll out and that not every box received the update. By the next morning my box was back to normal, thank God! The Comcast rep could not tell me when we were getting Xfinity either. That is something I am looking forward to though.

If it's not HD, it's not TV !! ...or radio!!
post #7272 of 7467 Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5XZS View Post

I just found out on Wiki's website, saying KRQE-DT may be carrying The Country Network on ch. 13.2 coming soon.

Never heard of it. It must be a new channel launch soon -- or is a server based thing like CoolTV that you don't need a satellite distribution to stations.

I just want Antenna TV - distribution to stations is encrypted over satellite so a local channel signing up to carry it is the only way.
post #7273 of 7467 Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJVega View Post

So we must be close to Xfinity deploying in Albuquerque. FWIW.

Isn't Xfinity just Comcast renaming their triple-play service to something they think sounds cool or futuristic, when in fact it's just putting lipstick on their pig?
post #7274 of 7467 Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Considering it's posted absolutely nowhere besides the single posting on Wikipedia, including on TCN's website or in the press, I'm going to assume it's false and TCN will not be on 13-2.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7275 of 7467 Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthscan View Post

Can't do it on my 625 (or a 301 from an outraged DISH customer who has a 301 and posted on the KRQE facebook page) - both receivers just pass the signal through to a TV where you will need a digital tuner in that device or in a converter box on the way to an older tv as there is no on-board ATSC tuner in those receivers.

KRQE/KASA Facebook is a must-read - lots of great outrage towards LIN comments on there. Even funny that KRQE still posts news items on there yet people comment like "who cares. We can't see your news on DISH".

Intersting. I'm able to record and view timers with the VIP722--watched "Chicago Code" that way last night. But, it does not show up to record next week. Guess I'll have to record each evenings programs for each day. Oh, well, could be worse.

I'll check out the facebook--or not, since I don't have an account.

Dave

post #7276 of 7467 Old 03-08-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's more informations on The Country Network....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Country_Network

Now back to TV DXing....

3-8-11

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #7277 of 7467 Old 03-08-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Isn't Xfinity just Comcast renaming their triple-play service to something they think sounds cool or futuristic, when in fact it's just putting lipstick on their pig?

Yes and no. Xfinity apparently is just a rebranding of Comcast as you state, but I'm more interested in the hopefully better OSD and the ability to remote program recordings, view a recoding from one DVR in another room, etc. But as hideftv stated above, a new OSD doesn't necessarily mean a better OSD.

BTW, hideftv, I did find a mini info display along with an option for a smaller guide section which did not take up much screen landscape, but I couldn't figure out how to consistently get to it. What STB do you have? I didn't have problems with the quick replay button as you did. I wonder which STBs will handle the new OSD better.
post #7278 of 7467 Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM

I have the SA8300 HD DVR too. I saw that supposed mini guide too. I think when you would hit info once it would pop up 2 lines of guide, but a 2nd press of the info to read the data would then result in the half screen coverage.

I, too, am looking forward to the remote DVR scheduling.

If it's not HD, it's not TV !! ...or radio!!
post #7279 of 7467 Old 03-08-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Intersting. I'm able to record and view timers with the VIP722--watched "Chicago Code" that way last night. But, it does not show up to record next week. Guess I'll have to record each evenings programs for each day. Oh, well, could be worse.

I'll check out the facebook--or not, since I don't have an account.

I set up manual OTA timers on my Dish VIP 722 to record programs for FOX at the same time each week. I don't have to set up a new timer for each week that way. I also have a Sony HD DVR hooked up to my antenna that is taking care of CBS, so no problems there.

I blame LIN for asking for such an outrageous rate increase, but I think Dish is probably responsible for the guide problem.
post #7280 of 7467 Old 03-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMeyer1 View Post

I blame LIN for asking for such an outrageous rate increase, but I think Dish is probably responsible for the guide problem.

yes, DISH is responsible for the EPG thing. Enough with the "important info" junk - return the EPG to normal data for those who want/need it for timers or program planning and keep the dispute slate on the video of the channel.

moonhawk - you don't need a facebook account to read the comments. Only to add a comment or to say you "like" some of the comments you read.
post #7281 of 7467 Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMeyer1 View Post

I set up manual OTA timers on my Dish VIP 722 to record programs for FOX at the same time each week. I don't have to set up a new timer for each week that way. I also have a Sony HD DVR hooked up to my antenna that is taking care of CBS, so no problems there.

Glad to hear the manual OTA works--I was thinking about giving that a shot. I'm good as long as there's nothing on both channels at the same time. And I could watch one live with the TV's built in tuner if need be.

Dave

post #7282 of 7467 Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Hello, Albequerquans! I just moved in from Ohio, and am enjoying the warmer weather. I've put up a UHF/VHF antenna and pointed it at Sandia Peak (we live in the foothills). Most channels we get fine, but for some reason KASY, KOAT, and KNMD are giving me the big goose egg. Has anyone else had problems with those? At 245kW, I really can't understand why I wouldn't be able to pull down KASY. Thanks!

LB
post #7283 of 7467 Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 AM

Have you run a TVfool report @ www.TVFool.com to see if you are actually in the shadow of the mountains from these transmitters. There are places close to the foothills where reception is 2 edge and NM (dB) is very low.

The TVFool maps will show you exactly where to point the antenna.

Another thing might be that you may need to tilt your antenna upward toward the top of the crest for better reception.

OH!! BTY, its AlbUquerque
post #7284 of 7467 Old 03-10-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim5506 View Post

Have you run a TVfool report @ www.TVFool.com to see if you are actually in the shadow of the mountains from these transmitters. There are places close to the foothills where reception is 2 edge and NM (dB) is very low.

The TVFool maps will show you exactly where to point the antenna.

Another thing might be that you may need to tilt your antenna upward toward the top of the crest for better reception.

OH!! BTY, its AlbUquerque

Thanks! I've used antennaweb.org before, but tvfool seems to have a lot more information.

LB
post #7285 of 7467 Old 03-13-2011, 08:25 AM

Some stations are on the Easterly side of the mountain or have basic tower structures and may be shielded / low/ have other structures between them and your location.. If you are West of Sandia CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX and some of the others should be OK. If you are too close to the mountain you may be in the shadow and the signal is weaker. Rio Rancho gets a killer signal. Approximately where are you located in ABQ?
post #7286 of 7467 Old 03-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Apparently heck has frozen over. I just received a press release from DISH Network stating that DISH and LIN have come to terms on a new retransmission agreement renewal and that the LIN stations should be restored on DISH.
post #7287 of 7467 Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

My guess is LIN blinked... to get the guide info back do a switch check or go enough days ahead till your receiver asks to upgrade guide info...
post #7288 of 7467 Old 03-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Apparently heck has frozen over. I just received a press release from DISH Network stating that DISH and LIN have come to terms on a new retransmission agreement renewal and that the LIN stations should be restored on DISH.

sthscan ....... at least you received something in the form of notification.

LIN e-mailed me --- Dish Network --- not a word --- just in time for my next annual billing.

THANK YOU LIN --- I choose to believe they are the more truthful of the two:

"We are pleased to inform you that we have reached a contract with DISH Network."

"We appreciate your tremendous support throughout these negotiations."

"This fair resolution ensures that we can continue to provide top quality news, sports, entertainment, and other local programming that is most important to you."

"Thank you for supporting LOCAL television."
post #7289 of 7467 Old 03-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbuquerqueJohn View Post
sthscan ....... at least you received something in the form of notification.

LIN e-mailed me --- Dish Network --- not a word --- just in time for my next annual billing.
If you want notifications from DISH, go to the investor relations part of their website and sign up to have press releases emailed to you when DISH releases them.

The LIN situation caused some press releases to be generated (both when LIN was pulled and again when there was a resolution).

You can also sign up if you are a DISH customer to have DISH send you emails about certain programming things (such as when they added FX to the America's 120 package or added STARZ free for one year if you subscribe to a qualifying package) but for some reason they did not use that notification service to tell those affected about the LIN situation.

Regarding LIN, LIN didn't personally notify anyone of the resolution either. What you quoted from LIN was their press release.
post #7290 of 7467 Old 03-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Wow I don't know if this is a deal or a ripoff. Radioshack has an HD radio for $39 bucks. At that price it was impulse like a 3musketeers bar at a walmart checkout. I got it home last night and hooked it up to see how well it worked. I only seemed to have found a few HD Radio stations. Ibiquity.com lists a large number of stations but those seem to have been in a "Coming Soon" status for a couple years now. Apparently it's not just a poorly managed website, those stations are still not yet in HD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page