Albuquerque, NM - HDTV - Page 253 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #7561 of 7581 Old 07-01-2016, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Comet TV is now on the air at 4.3 (I thought they were probably waiting for July 1).

Something curious I noticed this evening: Weather Nation on KYNM is displaying KCHF's logo in the upper, left corner of the screen. That network is also back on KNMQ 43.2. I haven't been able to pick up KCHF in a few weeks to confirm if it's also on 11.6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 7581 Old 07-01-2016, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
11.1 KCHF
11.2 Antenna TV
11.3 QVC
11.4 QVC+
11.5 AM 730

No 11.6
post #7563 of 7581 Old 07-05-2016, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
KOB-DT, need to fix their new subchannel COMET TV on rf ch. 26.3 or remapped ch. 4.2 to a right video screen TV formats 4:3 or 16:9 at 480i please no more cropped videos stuff!

As for other news on Albuquerque's TV broadcast market news not much else going on here except analog ch 48 KTFA-LP still testing in color bars, when they ever go to flash cut to digital is up in the air?

7-5-16

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #7564 of 7581 Old 07-05-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by N5XZS View Post
KOB-DT, need to fix their new subchannel COMET TV on rf ch. 26.3 or remapped ch. 4.2 to a right video screen TV formats 4:3 or 16:9 at 480i please no more cropped videos stuff!
Isn't Comet on 4-3? I thought ThisTV was on 4-2

and also, its RF 26-5 NOT 26-3. A fair amount of stations across the US start their RF assignments at X.3 and not X-1

http://rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=kob
post #7565 of 7581 Old 07-07-2016, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unclehonkey,

Just a typo error, it's should be KOB-DT's ch 4.3 and rf ch. 26.5 for Comet TV network

Not much else going here in Albuquerque's TV market.....

Now back to TV DXing!

7-7-16

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #7566 of 7581 Old 07-11-2016, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 9
KASA sold to Ramar; FOX affiliation moving?

Nexstar is selling Albuquerque's FOX affiliate KASA to Ramar Communications for $2.5 million, in another divestiture aimed at getting Nexstar under the cap as it merges with Media General.
APA: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1

Take a look at this tidbit from the Multiple Ownership Showing:

Quote:
The Station is currently a FOX affiliate. In connection with the transaction, Ramar will not acquire the FOX affiliation for the Station. Instead, Ramar will change the affiliation of KASA-TV to Spanish-language Telemundo on the Station’s primary signal, MeTV on its .2 signal, and Heroes & Icons on its .3 signal. This is the same programming that KRTN-TV, KTEL-TV, and KUPT currently air, although the various multicast streams on which each network airs differ for each station.
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1

FOX would most likely move to KRQE 13.2/KBIM 10.2/KREZ 6.2. At No. 48, Albuquerque would be the largest market by far (and first Top 50 market) to have FOX on a subchannel of a Big 3 station. Folks, this is Chattanooga all over again, only this time Sinclair isn't involved.

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #7567 of 7581 Old 07-11-2016, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That will be a shell shocker at since we will lose Fox network in HD for NFL football season! There is no bandwidth left to fit in KRQE-DT, with 1080i and 720p in the MPEG-2 world.

It's for the people can't afford pay satellite or cable Since it's New Mexico a way's been a poor state sadly to say.

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #7568 of 7581 Old 07-11-2016, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
That will be a shell shocker at since we will lose Fox network in HD for NFL football season! There is no bandwidth left to fit in KRQE-DT, with 1080i and 720p in the MPEG-2 world.
It's been done before:

List of Stations with Dual HD Subchannels
http://www.rabbitears.info/oddsanden...request=dualhd

Some of these stations even have three HD subchannels!

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #7569 of 7581 Old 07-11-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tell that to Sinclair who runs dual HD in some markets
Tell that to Gray who is running dual HD in alot of their smaller markets. (Fargo NBC/CBS in HD, Me in SD...Western ND NBC & FOX in HD, ME SD)
I guess I better call my local FOX station then and tell them they arent running dual HD. Oh wait they are. 9-1 FOX HD, 9-2 My HD, 9-3 Movies!

Univision runs 2 1080i feeds in some markets
post #7570 of 7581 Old 07-11-2016, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes but how good is the picture quality is? We have not yet reached HEVC video codecs yet using COFDEM modes. I would like to see KTEL-LD Telemundo stay on rf ch.15 and keep FOX on rf ch. 27 for NFL sport programing's.

7-11-16

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #7571 of 7581 Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes but how good is the picture quality
Probably just as good as a station that loads up on subchannels or worse, mobile TV.
When I was last in Fargo area and watched both NBC & CBS on KVLY they looked pretty good. (and CBS which is the sub had a NFL game on at they time)

The newer encoders can do real well with dual HD
post #7572 of 7581 Old 07-11-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes but how good is the picture quality is? We have not yet reached HEVC video codecs yet using COFDEM modes. I would like to see KTEL-LD Telemundo stay on rf ch.15 and keep FOX on rf ch. 27 for NFL sport programing's.

7-11-16
I dont see that happening. Nexstar HAS to sell one station in Albuquerque and they found a buyer for KASA in Ramar
Reading further in the purchase agreement it clearly states

1. Buyer hereby agrees that, for a period of ten (10) years from the date hereof, it shall not, and it shall cause its affiliates not to, enter into, or otherwise solicit or seek to enter into, any affiliation agreement with ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX in the Station’s Market.

2. Buyer hereby agrees that, for a period of ten (10) years from the date hereof, it shall not, and it shall cause its affiliates not to, air any programming other than Spanish language programming on the Station’s primary signal.

So Ramar knows already if they buy KASA they cant put a Big 4 on the subchannel...reason I say sub is part 2 says they have to put Spanish on -1.
post #7573 of 7581 Old 07-11-2016, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Other breaking news!!

KOAT-DT just added a new sub channel called Justice TV mostly about cops and court TV shows I know more silly stuff to be added, but still not happy about losing the FOX HD though!

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #7574 of 7581 Old 07-12-2016, 10:48 PM

I thought the whole reason behind the FCC wanting Nexstar to sell one of the channels was so that the same company would not broadcast two major networks in a top-50 market. So, does that mean that having two big networks on two channels is unacceptable but it's totally OK to have two of the majors on the same channel? That doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation or we don't know the whole story yet.

Anyway, if both CBS and Fox end up on the same channel, it will be OK. Previously, I lived in a town where ABC and Fox moved to the same channel. One of the networks helped the station buy a high-end encoder, and the result was HD signals that were at least as good if not better than the single-network stations, even when live sports were being broadcast on both. It helps that Fox's preferred format is 720p, which takes slightly less bandwidth than 1080i. Remember that the networks are concerned with picture quality too, especially in a major market.

I was thinking that KRQE would want to give up GetTV to maintain a good broadcast, possibly tossing it back to Ramar. It looks like they'll have a couple of subchannels to fill since they are moving them over to 2KASA. However, after looking at the list of dual HD channels that also have one SD subchannel, I'm not so sure.

Justice TV is on 7.3 if you're scanning for it.

Last edited by stardude; 07-13-2016 at 01:58 PM.
post #7575 of 7581 Old 07-13-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardude View Post
I thought the whole reason behind the FCC wanting Nexstar to sell one of the channels was so that the same company would not broadcast two major networks in a top-50 market. So, does that mean that having two big networks on two channels is unacceptable but it's totally OK to have two of the majors on the same channel? That doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation or we don't know the whole story yet.
yeah pretty much.
-2 of the top 4 stations in the market owned by same people on different RF stations? NOPE
-2 of the top 4 stations in the market owned by same people on same RF station? YUP
-2 of the top 4 stations in the market owned by same people with 1 on a full power and 1 on a LP? YUP

Confused yet?

This is how companies are getting around the FCC rule of no more LMA's/JSA's. Buy the programming off of a station and move it to a sub of a station you already own. Find a buyer for the rest of the station assets or shut that station down.

Quote:
I was thinking that KRQE would want to give up GetTV to maintian a good broadcast, possibly tossing it back to Ramar. It looks like they'll have a couple of subchannels to fill since they are moving them over to 2KASA. However, after looking at the list of dual HD channels that also have one SD subchannel, I'm not so sure.
There is probably a contract involved so they probably cant get rid of it. But you can run 2 HD and a SD rather easily. Gray does it in a few of their markets

Last edited by unclehonkey; 07-13-2016 at 08:32 AM.
post #7576 of 7581 Old 07-13-2016, 02:31 PM

Wow; that's tricky! Thanks for the clarification, unclehonkey.

As broadcasting equipment gets faster and more sophisticated, stations will be able to stuff an increasing amount of data into a limited bandwidth, assuming they can afford the upgrades. I didn't realize we were already at the point of having two HD and one SD signal on a channel with no problems.

I wonder what will happen to KTEL. It seems like Ramar only put a half-hearted effort into keeping it on the air. I've noticed no signal on 15.1 pretty frequently and they kept the SD simulcast going on 47.1. If the Nexstar merger and KTEL's broadcast license happened at about that same time, maybe they were planning on the KASA sell and decided to do only what was required by the FCC. Perhaps they'll try and sell it to help pay for buying KASA.

Last edited by stardude; 07-13-2016 at 05:54 PM.
post #7577 of 7581 Old 07-13-2016, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a station (WKTV Utica, NY) that is running THREE HD stations and a SD (NBC, CBS, CW, ME) on one RF station.
I heard with the repack and ATSC 3.0 you will probably see more of this. But its been done in smaller markets for years (markets with 1-3 RF stations in the market)

As for the "workaround" I think Gray Broadcasting was kinda the first one to figure out the "loophole". Back late 2013-early 2014 when they bought Hoak Media it gave them 3 duopolies
Lincoln/Grand Island, NE with KOLN/KGIN (CBS) and KHAS (NBC)
Western ND with NBC and FOX
Fargo/Grand Forks area with KVLY NBC and KXJB CBS (which Hoak was running)

When the FCC cracked down on these Hoak figured "well lets move it to a sub of a station we own"
So they shut down KHAS and moved NBC to a sub of KGIN/KOLN AND their co-owned KSNB. This one was real sneaky as they bought KSNB under a "failing station" waiver and put My Network on it. Once they owned it fully they put NBC on that. The reason for the subchannel too is because KSNB is on RF4 and between Lincoln and Grand Island so an outdoor antenna is needed. KHAS was sold and is now Sonlife.
In Western ND they kept NBC (Hoak owned all the NBC's in ND) and moved FOX to a sub. The former Fox station was sold and now is Heroes and Icons (yes on a -1)
In Fargo they kept KVLY (for the reason above) and moved CBS (downconverted to 720p) to a sub. They sold KXJB to a guy who renamed it KRDK and is now loaded up with diginets (10 of them) This move benefited Fargo OTA folks the most as they went from 11 OTA stations to now 23 now (ABC and FOX have added subs since then too)

The other way they have done it is to buy a low powered station from someone (which does not count towards FCC rules). In Wausau, WI they bought a LP and moved FOX to the LP station (they also have it in SD on their CBS station too)

Sinclair has done this in other areas too. Buy the rights to programming, move it to their own station, then in most areas sell it to Howard Stirk Holdings who runs the stations. Sinclair still has some "pull" as they will put Sinclair stations like Comet on those stations.

Last edited by unclehonkey; 07-13-2016 at 06:17 PM.
post #7578 of 7581 Old 07-13-2016, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Wonder what will happen with Cozi and Ion?

Ramar already said what they are going to do subchannel wise to KASA once they take over.

Hope someone in the market picks them up for ya
post #7579 of 7581 Old 07-14-2016, 05:52 AM

Thanks for all this interesting news! I have trouble getting channel 13 here downtown (though their offices are within walking distance of me). It's probably due to the big buildings between me and Sandia Peak. However, strangely I have no trouble getting 2 (2.2, 2.3, or 19 and other non-major channels). I won't mind a Spanish station taking over if it is direct from Mexico City with great programming, but I don't know if I should expect that. I'll have to fiddle with my antennas now to get Fox however it is broadcast OTA. Fortunately, most of the Fox programs I watch can be found online.
post #7580 of 7581 Old 07-14-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

DebbyS
Ramar has already said they are going to move the Telemundo affiliate to KASA once they take over. They are also putting MeTV on 2-2 and Heroes & Icons on 2-3 per the purchase agreement

In connection with the transaction, Ramar will not acquire the FOX affiliation for the Station. Instead, Ramar will change the affiliation of KASA-TV to Spanish-language Telemundo on the Station’s primary signal, MeTV on its .2 signal, and Heroes & Icons on its .3 signal.

As for issues with 13 it looks like that station actually still broadcasts on channel 13 which is VHF Hi.
KASA and most other stations in the market broadcast on a UHF station (and it maps the channel to what you remember.)

Can you get 7 (ABC) or PBS 8? Both of those are on VHF hi also. Its possible your antenna is designed just for UHF (as a lot of the indoor models made are) VHF Hi uses the rod "rabbit ears" to bring in the station.
post #7581 of 7581 Old Today, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the information and tips, unclehonkey!

I have two flat, rectangular RCA antennas with (whatcha call em?) inline signal boosters. I have two because I have two digital recorders. The antennas hang next to each other in an east (and northeast)-facing window but each seems to specialize in getting different stations I can set one perfectly at, say, noon, to get channel 13, but by 6pm something has changed and 13 has a "weak" or "no" signal. Lately (maybe because it is summer?) I can get 13 fairly well. Unfortunately, as they kill off programs I love, I don't want to watch them any more -- and here Fox is heading for 13.x I'll fiddle around with the antenna that goes to the DVDR to try to get Fox's new local channel when it eventually moves. At worst, I can find most programs online anyhow.

I can get 7 most of the time, though it can be full of interference. Many times I can't get 4.1 or 4.2. I can get 14.1, 19.1,.2,.3, but not 35.1 (has some programs I'd like to see).

I'm sure it is just a matter of moving my antennas 1/4" at a time, slowly turning them this way and that, and when a signal I want pops up, I just have to figure out some way to keep the antenna exactly in that perfect position... at least with the sunspot number being low until this weekend, I can't blame the sun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception