Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 7467 Old 01-19-2004, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

He seemed to be unaware that HD actually looks any better than SD--Same with a programming person I spoke with a couple of months ago.

But, no HD today...Guess remembering to push a button is above their pay grade, or whatever.

Just a small point of clarification.

Regardless of what KASA did or did not do, we would not be getting HD. FOX is not broadcasting ANYTHING in HD yet. As you mentioned regarding 24, the best we could have hoped for is for them to pass along the game in 480P WS (assuming FOX sourced it that way). But KASA did not do so.

Quote:

I just don't know what they're gonna do when they HAVE to have a digital signal up.

Digital and HD are not synonyms. KASA does have their digital signal up, just not 24/7. They are under no requirement to broadcast HD, just digital. That can be 480i 4:3 like UPN and the WB.

Since they are sending out a 1080i or 720p signal, (still not sure which), its a safe bet that once FOX gets with the program KASA should be good to go.

BGL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 7467 Old 01-19-2004, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Regarding the NFC Championship game of KASA yesterday evening:

FOX broadcast that game in "Fox Widescreen" 480P 16:9, but KASA didn't "flip the switch" to transmit that signal to this area during the first quarter of the game. I called the newsroom and asked someone there to let the MCO know about this error. The newsroom person didn't know what widescreen was, but did pass the message along, and 90 seconds later, the KASA signal was filling my 16:9 set. KASA may be populated with ignorant people, but they are kind and responsive to customer concerns.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #903 of 7467 Old 01-19-2004, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I checked back once or twice, but I guess not late enough...Plus, I've necer been able to get a live person on the phone at KASA on the weekend...

I still think it's amazing they can't be bothered to throw a simple switch to broadcast the NFC Championship game.

I'm well aware that HD and digital are not the same...But 480p widescreen still looks immeasurably better than SD 4:3. and if Fox broadcasts it that way Kasa should be able to get it together to push the button.

What I was saying is that all the stations seem to have a lot of difficulty with the digital/HD technology. And while I'm not sure there's any law that says they MUST broadcast HD, at some point they are required to make all broadcasts digital. When that day comes, I hope they can get it together.

Dave

post #904 of 7467 Old 01-19-2004, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
moonhawk, I agree completely. Both the local FOX and NBC affiliates need to embrace DTV and HDTV. Curiously, the newsroom to which I was forwarded after calling FOX was the local NBC newsroom. I didn't realize it before, but they have some sort of partnership. I hope they'll hire someone who wants to bring them into the modern era.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #905 of 7467 Old 01-19-2004, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I knew of the KOB/KASA affiliation, but I didn't realixe KOB could pass on the request to push the button to KASA on a weekend.

I understand KOB will start broadcasting HD with this summer's Olympics, which will be nice.

I'm sure we'll be getting more and more HD content as time goes on. I have made a point of calling local stations and speaking with programming people and engineers.

I keep it courteous, and tell them that there are really quite a few "early adopters" out there and that we appreciate their efforts to bring us as much HD as possible.

It's just amazing how little awareness there is among some "professionals" in the business about the issue.

Dave

post #906 of 7467 Old 01-19-2004, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My PC tuner reports that KASA is sending out 1080i. When FOX starts HD in the fall, they will be doing 720p. KASA's encoder can do either format so we should get 720p unless KASA decides to cross convert it to 1080i for some reason.

Film sourced 480p looks great, in my opinion. I don't watch many FOX shows, but they always impress me. Video sourced content is another story altogether. FOX is sending out 480i widescreen to the affiliates. The affiliates line double it to 480p for broadcast. As we all know, video is hard to deinterlace, film is easy. That's why film looks so much better than video.

The playoff game had some nasty artifacts on some shots and others looked great. I'd guess (wild assed guess here) that some of the handheld sideline cameras are putting out 480p which is converted to 480i in the truck for distribution and then back to 480p at the affiliate. Since the video started out progressive, it's easy to convert back. (someone please let me know if I'm full of $#|+).

This year will be good - KASA and KOB going HD, PBS getting some programming, more on Satellite hopefully, HD-TiVo....As Emeril says: "Happy, happy, happy".

Pete

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #907 of 7467 Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Anyone know what happened to 13? Are they so mad at Comcast, they turned off their digital transmitter completely? JR
post #908 of 7467 Old 01-20-2004, 10:27 AM

I watched the game Sunday on Channel 13 OTA. Looked pretty good but the camera work could have been better. Also, they need to have someone wipe the water drops off the lenses once in a while.

I do wish Channel 13 would get their closed captioning fixed on their HD signal. Chief Engineer says the equipment is out for repair and has no timetable for its return.
post #909 of 7467 Old 01-20-2004, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Still getting the KRQE-DT's signal on channel 16 OTA...

Has anyone noted that KOAT-DT's digital sub channel is down channel 21.2 or remapped to 7.2? "This channel is used for 480i Main programings MST feed."

1-20-04

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #910 of 7467 Old 01-20-2004, 07:45 PM

Comcast now has a new supply of HD boxes
post #911 of 7467 Old 01-20-2004, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have a listing of which local channels are at which numbers? Are they all broadcasting from the cluster of antennas on top of the Crest?

Trying to get my OTA system up and running so I won't miss the SuperBowl thanks to our friends at Emmis/KQRE. I can tell you this--if everyone has this much trouble with OTA, it will be DOA. Compared to cable, there's no comparison at all. To have HDTV with cable, took 5 minutes and it worked perfectly right off. Up to a day and a half on the OTA and still not functional.

If there's a thread or post that has this information, would appreciate a link. Unable to find it by searching. Does anyone think it might be time to start a new Albuquerque thread?

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #912 of 7467 Old 01-21-2004, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DanHouck, go to titantv.com and personalize it for your location in Albuquerque. It gives a great TV listing for both the digital and analog channels. The left-hand column for the digital channels list the digital numbers. You will like the site.
post #913 of 7467 Old 01-21-2004, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

fjerina, thanks for the info.

Dan

post #914 of 7467 Old 01-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DanHouck

Trying to get my OTA system up and running so I won't miss the SuperBowl thanks to our friends at Emmis/KQRE. I can tell you this--if everyone has this much trouble with OTA, it will be DOA. Compared to cable, there's no comparison at all. To have HDTV with cable, took 5 minutes and it worked perfectly right off. Up to a day and a half on the OTA and still not functional.

I got my OTA antenna working over the weekend, also to get ready for the SuperBowl. It was a long process, but also worthwhile. There isn't an option for HDTV over cable in Los Alamos, but I agree that it would be a much simpler process.

I had to run more coax in order to have a dedicated line for the antenna, and also to install a DirecTV Phase III dish. This allowed me to eliminate the satellite diplexers which were used to share the coax with the old dish. I also installed a ChannelMaster 7777 pre-amplifier, and it seems that my reception problems are solved. Last night's snow storm surprisingly gave me a stonger signal than I have ever seen before on the digital channels that used to be marginal for me.

TitanTV is a good site, and registration is free. I use it both as a channel guide and to schedule recordings with the MyHD card. It allows you to see OTA, cable and satellite channels in the same guide. The site is really convenient when you have a computer connected to the TV, but a computer near the TV would be the next best thing.

Brian

Hook 'em Horns! 2005 National Champions!
post #915 of 7467 Old 01-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Reply to Dan: In addition to titan, try this http://www.pbs.org/digitaltv/dtvsched.htm
for the PBS hd schedule. Actually, KNME looked better before they started the mandatory subchannel simultaneous transmission. JR
post #916 of 7467 Old 01-21-2004, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi guys:

OK, here's where I'm at. Got the antenna pointed right at the mountain, but still picking up only a few of the stations. It is noon now, I wonder how many are working?

On my SIRT150, only getting a signal strength of a little less than half on KNME. Beautiful picture, though softer than on cable. Picking up most of the rest now, though some times it takes two tries to get the thing to lock on.

Is there anyone here in town who could update my SIRT150 with later software? I really don't know how to do that kind of stuff.

Thanks.

Dan

post #917 of 7467 Old 01-21-2004, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you pointing at the top of the mountain or the base...?

Knowing how critical the horizontal aiming angle is, I imagine the vertical aiming angle is as well...

But no one has been able to answer my question about an available means to tilt an antenna up towards the towers.

Dave

post #918 of 7467 Old 01-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

One way I could imagine aiming the antenna with a vertical angle would be to lean the mast. In order to aim the antenna upward, you would lean the mast in a direction 180 degrees from where the antenna is pointed. In order to aim it downward, you would lean the mast in the same direction as the antenna aim. The leaning process would involve securing the mast at the base and at a point below where the antenna is mounted. I don't know how necessary that would be for reception however. From my location, the vertical aiming would be so small that it would not matter in any case.

Brian

post #919 of 7467 Old 01-21-2004, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

With me it means a difference of 5-10 degrees. That is a critcal amount on some stations with me.

I live in the East mountains, and my view of some towers is partially blocked by Palomas peak, even though I am in effect right below the towers.

Channel seven is my weakest station, and very small adjustments make a big difference in reception.

I figure aiming vertically should help make the signal notably more stable.

Dave

post #920 of 7467 Old 01-21-2004, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Good point. Easy to tilt my antenna, I'll try it. Channel 7 is also my weakest station, sometimes have to try several times before the tuner locks in but then it is OK.

Bring on the Super Bowl!

post #921 of 7467 Old 01-21-2004, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Dan:
Well, I see you got the suggestion to check your tilt in this thread too.

BTW, there are fancy rotators used by HAM operators for moon bounce and satellite operation that have both azimuth and elevation control. For example, Ham Radio Outlet carries the Yaesu G-5500. Only $650.
But it is computer controllable and has good accurracy.

I am sure everyone here will want to run out and buy one.
post #922 of 7467 Old 01-21-2004, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I could just borrow one of yours....?

Dave

post #923 of 7467 Old 01-22-2004, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just got a E-mail from KOB-DT today saying they will go HDTV around May and June at this time.....

After that they will add multicasting and TX power upgrade to 290 KW ERP somtime later this year.

I think they are running "STA" 80 KW ERP at this time....

That's the news......

1-22-04

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #924 of 7467 Old 01-22-2004, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

N...

Thanks...

What is TX 290 KW ERP; STA 80 KW ERP?

Dave

post #925 of 7467 Old 01-22-2004, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I'll just try the MANUAL tilt first!

Only station I'm having a little trouble locking in on first try is KOAT. Are they putting out a weak signal?

KNME is awesome. Hard to turn it off, there's so much eye candy there.

Will we get FOX football in high def next season?

You know, reading some of the other threads about reception problems, we should count ourselves lucky that our DTV is so well located. We seem to be ahead of many places that are a lot bigger than us.

Just another "bennie" to living in NM!

post #926 of 7467 Old 01-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Before I installed the preamp for my antenna, KOAT was actually the second-strongest signal for me, behind KASY. With the preamp, all of the stations are more or less even in signal strength.

Yes, it is good for reception that we essentially have a 6,000 feet or so natural antenna tower above the elevation of Albuquerque.

Brian

post #927 of 7467 Old 01-22-2004, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello Moonhawk,

"TX" means transmitter "ERP" Effective Radiative Power" based on antenna gain and "STA" Special Temporary Authority issued by the FCC.

100 Watts

1'000 Watts becomes 1 KW

1'000 KW becomes 1 MW

These are the transmitting power scale by the Radio and TV broadcasting and as well by the Ham radio community!!

"N5XZS" is my ham radio call letter!!

1-22-04

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #928 of 7467 Old 01-22-2004, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, N5XZS...

(I knew the KW part)...

Dave

post #929 of 7467 Old 01-22-2004, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by N5XZS
"TX" means transmitter "ERP" Effective Radiative Power" based on antenna gain and "STA" Special Temporary Authority issued by the FCC.

Does "STA" also mean that KOB-DT might move from channel 26 to some other channel in the future?

Brian

post #930 of 7467 Old 01-22-2004, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello Bkzoller,

Nope it's just mean they are at temporary TX power and they must upgrade full power within 1 year or at least renew the STA if the FCC approves it.

When the NTSC "Analog system" shuts down by 2006 or later if the TV viewers have OTA digital tuners at least 85 percent in the Albuquerque TV markets.

Now, KOB-DT can file the CP permits changing to channel 4 for digital transmission by at least year or 2 before the NTSC shutdown date.

IMHO, I think channel 4 or channel 26 is mixed trade off in propagation issue whether to have VHF low band in order to punch through the New Mexico's mountain by using channel 4 or use more on digital relays station through out of state of New Mexico if KOB-DT chose to stay on digital channel 26.

We just have to wait and see what happens next!

1-22-04

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page