Albuquerque, NM - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 7482 Old 02-15-2004, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My KOAT DT has been down for a couple of days now. I hope they haven't had any major problems with their equipment. I will be contacting KOAT tomorrow and see what is going on unless any of you guys know already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 7482 Old 02-15-2004, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I notice that Comcast Channel 180 is also out. Channel 180 is KOAT's HD signal.
post #993 of 7482 Old 02-15-2004, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I just spoke to an engineer at KOAT.

Their HD transmitter is down.

"Hopefully" tomorrow.

Dave

post #994 of 7482 Old 02-15-2004, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

They better be up for the Academy Awards show or I will have to cancel my party that I invited 20 people to see the show in HD.
post #995 of 7482 Old 02-16-2004, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

As of 7:30 Monday morning, Ch. 2 & 7 are both down. JR
post #996 of 7482 Old 02-17-2004, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems like KOAT 7-1 was up last night. Guess their problem wasn't too serious.
post #997 of 7482 Old 02-17-2004, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sinces we are getting close to 1000th replys, I wanted to thanks everybody for keeping this thread alive!!

Even though we are light years behind Denver posting replys thread, BUT we are ahead of Denver stations for full power covereges thanks to our local Albuquerque stations efforts.

But of course not all local stations is perfect for not sending in HDTV or not sending out in 5.1 digital audio.

There is more work to be done like getting KOB-DT,KWBQ-DT and KASY-DT to carry HDTV network's feeds.

Party on Dude!!

2-17-04

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #998 of 7482 Old 02-17-2004, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Would settle for any and all down south in the same too
post #999 of 7482 Old 02-18-2004, 07:24 PM

Hi I've followed this forum for awhile now, hoping to hear of the translator towers outside of Alb rebroadcasting HD signals OTA. I have yet to see news of this or the local cable in Gallup getting any HD. Its good to hear that Alb and Santa Fe have a good start on OTA HD. Any knowledge you can share of the growth of HD to areas outside of the big cities would be good. Are there any other forums for NM HD signals? Congrats to you all on the 1000 th post to this topic !!!(NEXT POST) I currently get HD via my DirecTV package. Recently got the LA & NY CBS in HD but may loose it when Alb locals arrive on D* in April due to CBS O&O regs. Super Bowl and Grammies where great in HD! Its great to see all the interest in HD in the Alb area and surrounding communities. Keep up the GOOD work!!
post #1000 of 7482 Old 02-18-2004, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HD-Lover
Hi I've followed this forum for awhile now, hoping to hear of the translator towers outside of Alb rebroadcasting HD signals OTA. I have yet to see news of this or the local cable in Gallup getting any HD. Its good to

The FCC has yet to rule on digital translators. Probably less then a year on a decision. Right now there is a lot of research going into digital translators and the best way to deliver the signal. It will mean retrofitting microwave links with both analog and digital. This too the FCC will have to rule on. There are current ways of doing this, but rather expensive. Again, there have been some experiments about alternative ways of delivering digital to the translators. Most has been done up in Utah with good results. With as many as three hops before needing bit stream correction. However, right now most stations are spending a lot on relocating translators to new channels 52 and below, or lose the channel. These are multi year projects, and I don't think any station is going to think about DTV for translators tell they are done protecting their current coverage.
post #1001 of 7482 Old 02-19-2004, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah!!!, I am the 1000th post for this Albuquerque thread. Guys, keep it alive and well and let's keep bugging those local stations to go high-def and DD 5.1 sound.

New Mexico DTV User's Group Meeting tonight at 7 pm at KNME.
post #1002 of 7482 Old 02-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Jim Gale discusses where PBS is at in NM at our monthly dtv user group meetings, which is tonight BTW. Any and all who can attend, it is at the KNME building on University at 7 pm. Want to know about repeaters? This is the place. JR
post #1003 of 7482 Old 02-19-2004, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For you guys going to the meeting tonight.....

Can you ask Jim Gale, on latest news on KNMD-TV or DT on channel 9?

Since I keep checking on the FCC's database website since no new updates on KNMD-TV or DT.

Fjerina, keep up the good work and congrat's on the 1000th replys!!

2-19-04

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #1004 of 7482 Old 02-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Tim, I asked Gale about that last night, and he said they are working on it and have bought the frequency slot from the guy who owned it. It might take 18 months before it actually airs though. It will be totally owned by UNM, unlike KNME which technically is half owned by APS, so they can do as they wish with it. Sorry you couldn't make the meeting. You'd think all us technical geniuses could rig you up a internet video link to your computer so you, or anyone who couldn't be there, could sit in. Maybe I'll ask Jim about it. Have a good one. JR
post #1005 of 7482 Old 02-20-2004, 12:06 PM

New to the forum and HDTV world, just moved to Albuquerque. I currently have basic cable with Comcast. I have tried reading this thread for info, but am getting bogged down. General questions:

As I understand it my choices are antenna / satellite / digital cable. What do people recommend in this area.

What stations / programming will I pick up with each option?

So far I have bought TV (57" Sony RP), have not bought additional hardware.

Very appreciative to any responses, thanks!
post #1006 of 7482 Old 02-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

In addition to AVS, also check out ***************.com (plug). Lots of reading. Welcome to ABQ, the best kept secret of the SW. JR
post #1007 of 7482 Old 02-20-2004, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jerrich
In addition to AVS, also check out ***************.com (plug). Lots of reading. Welcome to ABQ, the best kept secret of the SW. JR

Thanks Jerrich. I will definitely check out the link. Any help with my above questions?
post #1008 of 7482 Old 02-20-2004, 02:12 PM

Wilked - Digital cable is available here, but I don't use it, so I can't speak to that one. You can get the local stations both via satellite (I use DishNetwork for that) and also OTA (over the air) with an antenna. All the Albuquerque locals broadcast both digital and analog signals. Is your Sony TV HD capable? If it has an HD tuner built-in, just hook up an antenna and enjoy HD on KNME, KRQE and KOAT along with "Fox Widescreen" on KASA. If it doesn't have an HD tuner (i.e., "HD Ready"), you will still get SD analog TV, but will need an STB (set top box) or a HD capable satellite receiver to enjoy Digital TV and HD.

.....G
post #1009 of 7482 Old 02-20-2004, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by guruka
Wilked - Digital cable is available here, but I don't use it, so I can't speak to that one. You can get the local stations both via satellite (I use DishNetwork for that) and also OTA (over the air) with an antenna. All the Albuquerque locals broadcast both digital and analog signals. Is your Sony TV HD capable? If it has an HD tuner built-in, just hook up an antenna and enjoy HD on KNME, KRQE and KOAT along with "Fox Widescreen" on KASA. If it doesn't have an HD tuner (i.e., "HD Ready"), you will still get SD analog TV, but will need an STB (set top box) or a HD capable satellite receiver to enjoy Digital TV and HD.

.....G

Thanks Guruka. I am planning on purchasing an antenna, is the Channel Master 4221 a good choice? How would I go about choosing one? I understand the need for a STB. I went to antennaweb, but am having trouble interpreting the results.

Also, what store do you deal with locally for HDTV hardware?

Thanks again
post #1010 of 7482 Old 02-20-2004, 02:43 PM

Yes, the Channelmaster 4 bay 4221 UHF antenna should be fine. You may even be able to get away with an indoor UHF antenna if you are close enough, so try that first.

Antennaweb gives you a compass bearing for aiming, but hey, you're in Albuquerque. Just point it toward Sandia Crest I don't have a local dealer for HDTV hardware. I bought my antenna mast and mounting hardware at Radio Shack and my antenna over the Web from Tri-State electronics. Use good quad shield RG-6 for your downlead if you do end up using an outdoor antenna.

.....G
post #1011 of 7482 Old 02-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

A lot of people swear by the Zenith Silver Sensor indoor ant. that is probably good for metro Abq., but I use the RS vu90 outdoor with good results. STBs can be bought at BB, CC, or Ultimate Electronics and I believe the Zenith is the top dog now for OTA, don't know about satellite. Sam's Club had the Sammy 151 for cheap a while back, but don't know if they are still available. Sometime down the road you will want to check out the Tivo, either stand alone or sat. version. The HD tivos for sat. are just now coming out, and Fjerina has one. Maybe he can jump in here and tell you how he likes it. JR
PS. Guruka is right about the rg6 (not RS), get Belden if possible.
post #1012 of 7482 Old 02-20-2004, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hey Wilked

Welcome to Albuquerque (and the forum). You should have no problem at all getting great reception unless you're very close to the Sandias. Areas east of Tramway are not good and there's a big shadow in the Placitas area. Anyplace else from Bernalillo on the north to Belen on the south has great reception. Electronic Parts on Rhode Island north of Menaul has antennas.

I'd highly recommend DirecTV. They have a decent deal where they will install the dish and high def receiver for about $400. You'll get the local digital channels off air and have a good selection of programming from satellite. I'm currently getting five HD channels from sat and four (Fox 480p for now) off air. NBC HD will go online soon.

A friend of mine has comcast HD. The box is a piece of crap. Most of the analog cable channels have a pretty crummy picture. The local analog stations have severe ghosting. They don't have CBS (KRQE) or FOX (KASA). Comcast is great for high speed internet but I think satellite is the way to go for television.

Local store recommendations (hope this is okay with the moderators):
Avoid Sears, BestBuy and Circuit City unless you know exactly what you want. Their salespeople are totally clueless.

Ultimate Electronics can be okay, talk to Sherman Beach.

The best place for real home theater is Audio Designs (John Ashman is the owner). John knows projectors and has very nice audio stuff - from affordable but great value (NHT, Sherwood, NAD) to systems that cost as much as a really nice car (Meridian).

Hudson's Audio is good on the audio side but they don't mess with video at all. (Denon, Sunfire, Rotel, Krell, B&W)

Candyman in Santa Fe does home theater. They carry the same brands as Hudsons plus Sony.

Good Luck. PM me if you want to talk about any of this.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #1013 of 7482 Old 02-20-2004, 06:10 PM

Yeah, I have one of those new HD DVR's (The DishPVR 921) like Fred and it records both SD and HD - OTA and Sat. I love the thing. The PQ blows away any other sat receiver I've had (well, since the old Chapparal C/Ku band receiver I had 12 years ago ) and the ability to record HD is great. It has a 250 GB hard disk which holds about 180 hours of SD or 25 hours of HD.

.....G
post #1014 of 7482 Old 02-20-2004, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I sure wish D* would get off their collective butts and get their DVR out. But then I'll be forced to buy a bedroom HDTV to use my old Hughes box with!

Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #1015 of 7482 Old 02-21-2004, 12:25 PM

Petew = great response, and I really appreciate it.

So, I am going to get the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna. It says it comes with 75-ohm, gold-plated "F" (coaxial) connector for antenna input, should I change this out for the RG6? Do I need a pre-amplifier - from searches it seems the Channel Master 7775 is recommended. Lastly, If I understand correctly the SS only picks up UHF, will this limit the stations that I can receive? Thanks again

Dan
post #1016 of 7482 Old 02-21-2004, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Dan

The Silver Sensor kicks butt. The F connector will connect to your tuner with a coax cable which can be RG6. You shouldn't need a preamp. If you don't get enough signal strength with the SS, you'd be better off with an outdoor antenna instead of a preamp. All the digital stations in ABQ are on UHF so you'll be fine with a UHF only antenna. Does your TV have a digital tuner in it? If not you'll need an external tuner (like the DirecTV or Dish box) to get local HDTV stations.

good luck
Later
Pete

Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #1017 of 7482 Old 02-21-2004, 06:25 PM

Have a Sony KDP-57WS550, built in tuner, so I will be set there. Should I get this professionally calibrated?

Where can I find a listing of the HDTV programs in ABQ? I assume Oscarsw will be HD?

Thanks

Dan
post #1018 of 7482 Old 02-21-2004, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Dan

I'd recommend Video Essentials for a start on calibration.

TitanTV dot com has a pretty accurate schedule. They sometimes show KOB as hi def which is not right (yet).

Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #1019 of 7482 Old 02-21-2004, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I haven't had any signal from KASA-DT for the past few days. Has anyone else experienced problems with that station lately?

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #1020 of 7482 Old 02-21-2004, 09:27 PM

Yup. KASA DT 27-1 has been off the air for a couple of days. Anyone know what's going on?

(Edited 2/22 to correct typo on ATSC channel number)

.....G
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page