Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
"Anyway just party on and drink your Klingon Bloodwine!! "
and enjoy HDnet.

Pete

High Desert Theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Bass - 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Surrounds -

Storage -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7478 Old 09-21-2001, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The best channel "HDNET" ever IMHO lot's of sexy babes on swimsuit contest show!!

How TV Dxing Petew, these days?

9-21-01

------------------
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #93 of 7478 Old 09-21-2001, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just went to a website called www.100000watts.com like every other day.

Boy I was shocked to see KNME's has been granted a new 2nd PBS channel on channel 9 and the new call letter has not be made yet!

It will be a plain old NTSC and the TX tower location will be in the wrong place just next door to KCHF's TX tower.

KUNM-TV "?" will run at 316 KW of TX power.

I just E-mailed to Chip's website to see if is true story on so called new PBS station on channel 9.

And at thei same time I will check FCC's TV database....

Just hold on your beer....

9-21-01

------------------
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #94 of 7478 Old 09-21-2001, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Latest news updates on new PBS station on channel 9.....

I went to FCC's database and it say NEW "No Call letter yet"
University of New Mexico has been granted a CP perment.

About hour later I just got a E-Mail from www.100000watts.com saying one other competer just drop out and the FCC just gave UNM a CP for channel 9.

The other competer was a church group.

Whew!! We sure don't need a other church TV stations added on our areas since we just got too many of them!

9-21-01

------------------
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #95 of 7478 Old 09-24-2001, 12:28 PM

Liked: 10
Since ch 9 is allocated to Santa Fe, it makes sense to colocate the transmitter site with KCHF. If the old ch 2 tower is still there, all that is needed is a new antenna. I think the ch 2 bldg. is still there.
post #96 of 7478 Old 09-24-2001, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just noted that KASY-TV has just cut back their TX power and it's seems to be that someone is working on the KASY TV tower.

I just think they are working to get analog channel 19 on the air by October at this rate IMHO.

No latest news on digital to say at least.

9-24-01

------------------
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #97 of 7478 Old 09-24-2001, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Possibly good news from Dish !!! Dish approached the FCC to allow them to provide HD programming to stations that can't get their stuff together by the May 2002 deadline. This would be even better for those remote areas of NM that will definitely not get their HD programming from ABQ stations for many decades from now. Contact the FCC showing your support for this by sending an email to the FCC contacts at www.fcc.org/contacts.html. Here is the summary of the proposal.

EchoStar Communications Corp. is seeking federal approval to offer
digital-broadcast signals in markets where TV stations have failed to meet
digital-TV rollout deadlines set by the Federal Communications Commission.

By next May, all 1,300 commercial TV stations are required to transmit digital
signals, but the industry expects about one-third of those stations to miss the
deadline and seek extensions from the FCC.

EchoStar -- the No. 2 direct-broadcast satellite carrier, with 6 million subscribers --
is asking the FCC to deny waivers to the affiliates of ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox unless
those stations agree to allow EchoStar to provide out-of-town digital-TV signals in
markets where the rollout has stalled.

'Under our proposal,' EchoStar chairman Charlie Ergen said in a Sept. 20 letter to
FCC chairman Michael Powell, 'a broadcaster that fails to meet its digital deadline
would not be able to receive relief from the [FCC] while denying consumers digital
television.'

EchoStar said its proposal would serve the dual purpose of exposing consumers to
broadcast digital-TV signals and spurring TV stations to advance the build-out of
digital TV has quickly as possible.

'In other words,' Ergen explained, 'if the broadcaster will not provide consumers
with a digital signal, we will.'

The National Association of Broadcasters, which represents hundreds of network
affiliates, immediately rejected EchoStar's proposal. For years, the NAB has been
fighting satellite carriers that invade local TV markets with network programming
from out-of-town markets.

'Given the tremendous effort broadcasters have made and are making to meet the
DTV deadlines, Mr. Ergen's request is ridiculous on its face,' NAB spokesman
Dennis Wharton said.
post #98 of 7478 Old 09-25-2001, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by N5XZS:
No latest news on digital to say at least.

[/b]

the only news I can provide is that Ch 35 is still on the air (so KNME probably isn't any closer to getting on the air than they might have been had ch 35 gone off the air).

robert
post #99 of 7478 Old 09-27-2001, 11:17 AM

I finnaly got a waiver from KRQE for the CBS HD feed!!! After being denied, I sent another E-mail to Bill Anderson (KRQE) asking he reconsider the denial based on my location in the mountains on northern NM and getting a very poor signal from the Eagle Nest translator. After waiting about 3 weeks with no reply from Mr. Anderson, I assumed that the denial was final.

Yesterday, I received a E-mail from Steve Laughrin (KRQE translator engineer) asking some guestions about my location in Angel Fire, NM. After I answered his questions he called me on the phone, asked a couple more questions about my exact location. He agreed that I could not receive an adequate signal at my location and reversed the denial and granted the waiver for the CBS HD feed.

It took some time on the phone with Dish and their unknowledgable CSR's to get the CBS channel. They first connected me to the CBS East channel. After about an hour of talking with Tom, the CSR, then his suppervisor, and finally a "Tech" engineer assigned to a special group to CBS HD problems, I got the CBS HD feed (WCBS).

It looks great!! Thank's Steve (KRQE) and Tom (Dish).

------------------
blackjack

blackjack
post #100 of 7478 Old 09-27-2001, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello Black Jack,

I am Happy for you that you won the battle and now getting your HDTV CBS satellite feed!

Just lets us all know how good is the colleges football game HDTV feed looks like!!

But for the rest of us here in the Albuqueruqe metro areas will have to wait little longer for KRQE to go on the air, and then of course if KNME-DT goes on the air early than expected then we got somthing better than nothing at it all.

Still searching for new new digital TV siganls every other days.

9-27-01

------------------
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #101 of 7478 Old 09-27-2001, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Dear Blackjack,

Glad you got CBS-HD. I guess I will have to move from ABQ to Angel Fire to get it. I guess they have SOME compassion here at KRQE-TV. Now if they can get off their butts so the people in ABQ could enjoy it then it would be great.

I am at least looking forward to HD from our local PBS station. Hopefully by Thanksgiving as someone said.

I am totally behind Dish Network's request to the FCC to now allow any station a waiver from the May,2002 deadline unless they allow their viewers the right to receive it from Dish. Their reasoning is that "if the locals can't provide HD signals to their people, then we will".
post #102 of 7478 Old 09-29-2001, 11:15 AM

Just read that Starchoice is moving their feeds off F1 to E2 so today's SEC game will be the only one I'll receive until KRQE get's off the dime and get's their signal on the air. I really wanted to see LSU/Florida next weekend.
post #103 of 7478 Old 10-10-2001, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just noted that KAZQ-TV 32 a church TV station was off the air for past 3 or more days now.

Any ideas on this?

I think they are out of money IMHO, their website looks very outdated and the last time they updated was May 2001!
www.kazq32.org

Since this a non comm, channel there are chances that someone will filed for a new PBS station, maybe by TVI?

Nothing new on digital signal yet but I am keeping eye on it though.

10-10-01

------------------
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #104 of 7478 Old 10-11-2001, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by N5XZS:
I just noted that KAZQ-TV 32 a church TV station was off the air for past 3 or more days now.

KAZQ is on the air - the only thing I've noticed is that they have gone off the air overnights (to a color bar).

Channel 35 (HSE) is still on the air so it looks like nothing is being accomplished on the HDTV construction front.

robert

post #105 of 7478 Old 10-11-2001, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello Robert,

No wonder they are running very low power "KAZQ-TV" since I can't get their signal at it all since I live east of Sandia Crest mountain.

They must be updating their transmitter to digital or they have some tech, problem.

As for K35FC "GEMS" they might be forced to go off the air by the end of this month but then again who's know what will happen!!

10-11-01

------------------
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #106 of 7478 Old 10-14-2001, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am wondering about the KAZQ-TV channel 32 status on digital channel 17 and since this station has been off the air or running very low power for over a week now.

Is the low power station off the air on channel 14 K17DD "3ABN" amd making room for KAZQ-DT's digital signal to go on the air?

Anything else going on guys?

10-14-01

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #107 of 7478 Old 10-24-2001, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I just noted that KWBQ-TV's TX is now on the Sandia Crest and it's on the air.

The channel 15 relay station is still tranmitting but only a dead carrier just a black picture. "For the east side mountain areas only"

So far no hint's on any digital TV signal...

KAZQ-TV went back on the air and same old stuff....

KYNM-LP channel 61 is off the air for 2 days now they might be moving to channel 39....

Haven't heard anything from you Albuquerque HDTV fans!!

10-24-01

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #108 of 7478 Old 10-24-2001, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I ran an OTA scan on my Dish 6000 receiver last night and no digital signals detected (great surprise). I also called a week or so ago Jim Gail, lead engineer at KNME, to ask him of the status of HD from them and he never returned my call. Such is life in Albuquerque.
post #109 of 7478 Old 10-24-2001, 12:32 PM

A few days ago I received this reply from Bill Anderson to my very nice request for a waiver for CBS:

"Dear Horton,
I am sorry that I can not grant this permission. My parent company is in active negotiations with both the network and the satellite companies and unless and until that is resolved I do not have the lattitude to honor these requests. "

It sounds like something is happening! I hope we get some good news soon.

Cheers, Horton
post #110 of 7478 Old 10-26-2001, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by N5XZS
Well I just noted that KWBQ-TV's TX is now on the Sandia Crest and it's on the air.

KYNM-LP channel 61 is off the air for 2 days now they might be moving to channel 39....

Haven't heard anything from you Albuquerque HDTV fans!!

Yes, KWBQ-TV is so much nicer now that they are on the crest. Broadcast quality video! It's so weird to now not only have the choice of WB on satellite but also off-air! I have been taping the WB programs off the dish due to video quality but that may change now that off-air is great.

Channel 61 - is the move to 39 due to the fact the 60-69 channels have been auctioned off to wireless companies and this is the migration going on to clear off channels 60-69?

as for HDTV update, I"m not as bummed out as I thought I'd be. CBS has only the NFL in HDTV that I care about, so I'm not missing KRQE-DT not being on the air. All the other networks I can get off the dish so I've been getting my HDTV fix that way. I'm very impressed at all the HDTV material ABC is putting out this season! I've been watching a few more shows I might not normally have been due to the fact that ABC has increased their material available in HDTV.

as for off-air HDTV, channel 17 is still active as well as channel 35 so I guess not much progress is being made to get those transmissions active. I just hope it's in the tower construction/equipment wiring stage.

Robert
post #111 of 7478 Old 10-26-2001, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I spoke with the "underwriting" person (Carole Ross) at KNME the other day. She said that they were well under way installing the transmitter, and should be on the air sometime in November. I'll try to find out something from Jim Gail too.

I'm trying to light a fire under someone at KNME to do a "Colores" HDTV production with the help of HDNet. Carole thought it was a good idea and sent me email addresses for the people at KNME who can make it happen.

Pete

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #112 of 7478 Old 11-01-2001, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well it's November and it's time to get ready for any digital TV signals.

Please report if any even a very brief test signal!!

I think KNME-DT will be the first one to go on the air IMHO....

As you know we are living in a very interesting time and getting very close to Star Trek technology and more fun yet to come!!

Good luck to HDTV and TV Dxers in Albuquerque and elsewere!!

11-01-01

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #113 of 7478 Old 11-05-2001, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's the latest news........

Got a E-mail from John Ramp, Manager of RF TX services,

KNME-DT channel 35 will go on the air sometime 10 + or - days from now and will run at 384 watts of ERP TX power!!

The full tranmitter power wil be upgraded to 250 KW ERP in the spring or fall of 2002.

Plans for channel 9 will be just a pure digital PBS station and will get on the air sometime in the 2003 or 2004 since it will take a lots of paperworks to be filed out "To change from analog to digital" and sent to the FCC.

The digital channel 9 WILL be on the Sandia Crest and its new call letter has yet to be named soon. "KUNM-DT"?

11-5-01

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #114 of 7478 Old 11-15-2001, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well it's now the 15th of NOV, only I news I got was about the new 2nd PBS station is about a new call letter for channel 9 it will be called KNMD-DT.

I wish they would call it KUNM-DT IMHO!

I am still scanning for any new digital signal and still no luck so far....

But at least we got very nice fall weather so far and today this is the first time since 2 month ago since we got any wet weather!

I just hope our local TV broadcasters got ready getting their digital TX tower in time for by being in the nice weather on the Sandia Crest Mountain for the past 2 month.

That's the news!!!

11-15-01

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #115 of 7478 Old 11-16-2001, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been scanning every evening now from my Dish 6000 and nothing thus far. The broadcasters had great weather on the crest for the past several months to install their hardward. Hope I won't be hearing any sob stories from them about the recent weather and what may be coming up that it may be keeping them from going on-line.
post #116 of 7478 Old 11-16-2001, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I sent an email to the director of engineering at KNME yesterday. I'll post news when I hear from him. Hopefully he's spending his time on top of the Sandias with a wrench or torch or whatever they use!

Pete

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #117 of 7478 Old 11-18-2001, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BTW, have you noted that KRQE-TV was carrying the KRON-TV and DT's Lobos game feed!

Kinda strange that our lobos got to be on local S.F. digital channel.

It's seems that KRQE-TV can't hired the local TV crew or even worse can't get the digital transmitter on line early!

Anyway still no sign of any digital TV siganls yet so far.....

Has anyone try DXing on meter showers? It's seem too late for me to stay up that late! "3AM"

11-18-01

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #118 of 7478 Old 11-18-2001, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

[quote]Originally posted by N5XZS
[b]BTW, have you noted that KRQE-TV was carrying the KRON-TV and DT's Lobos game feed!

kinda neat if you are into upconverted HDTV broadcasts (the feed from albuquerque to san francisco was 4:3 525 line NTSC).

It's seems that KRQE-TV can't hired the local TV crew or even worse can

It seemed to me to be a problem of how to incorporate the KRQE logo into the graphic, so it was easier to just use KRON's graphic and run a KRQE bug in the lower left corner.

channel 35 still active so I wonder if KNME is going to use their DT on channel 25 (they still seem to have that channel according to my records). No other NM stations running HDTV yet but I'm at the point it doesn't matter much as I am enjoying the HDTV from NBC, PBS, and ABC and my favorite shows on CBS are not in HDTV.

robert
post #119 of 7478 Old 11-20-2001, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

KNME-DT just went on the air!!!

It's on channel 35.3 and broadcasting PBS HDTV demo and I am getting the signal strenth of 65-67 on my terk TV 50 antenna!!!

Injoy the new digital channel 35!!

11-20-01

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #120 of 7478 Old 11-20-2001, 03:35 PM

Great!

I called my son at home to check it out. Now I have to write them a check! Horton
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page