Albuquerque, NM - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 7469 Old 01-31-2002, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mike:
Even now I haven't been able to determine when KNME is going to broadcast anything other than the loop. Last night, for example, the PBS feed on GE3 showed American Family and later a Rudy Maxa travel segment about Italy(these are stunning) while the loop continued on DT35. I assume KNME is still assembling the necessary equipment to time shift and link the signals to the transmitter. I would like to see the digital services simulcast even upconverted material so we can stop watching these lousy analog pictures. I'm very curious to see how KOB and later KRQE will operate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 7469 Old 01-31-2002, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The reason you are seeing a demo loop all the time right now on KNME DT is because it is coming from a file server from KNME itself. They are transmitting this until they get something corrected on top the crest. There were hit by lightening a week or so ago and they have recovered from that. They are now being interfered in receiving the national PBS feed by satellite because of another signal on the crest interfering with their reception. The FCC is now involved in trying to track it down. Hopefully soon we will be able to resume receiving the direct pipe-through of the PBS national signal. I am looking forward to the Rudy Maxa "Travel Smart" series and the "American Family" series in HD.
post #183 of 7469 Old 01-31-2002, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Boy are we getting tired of crazy winter weather even though we need the moisture badly.

I have the gut feeling that KOB-DT may not be ready for NBA HDTV covereges on Feb, 3rd, what is holding up NBC's satellite receiver shipment or is due to red tape at NBC's headquater? "SP"

Any more news on KRQE-DT at this time?

1-31-02

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #184 of 7469 Old 02-01-2002, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

[quote]Originally posted by fjerina
They are now being interfered in receiving the national PBS feed by satellite because of another signal on the crest interfering with their reception. The FCC is now involved in trying to track it down.

I wish them luck. I used to work at a government site on the crest, and it is an RF nightmare up there. Some camcorders will barely work due to the intense rf. Uncle Sam built a shielded building to house it's comm gear. The walls ceiling and floor are all steel with the joints welded. Screening was used for all cable entrance and exit points. They dug a trench around the site and filled it with special mud used for grounding everything together. It's hard to get a good ground up there because the crest is basically just rock. Guess what? It didn't work. The interference came in from the antennas just the same as a signal would and it messed up all the receivers and transmitters big time. There are virtually an infinite number of harmonics up there due to all the different frequencies mixing together. As I said, I wish them all the luck. I too am waiting for some Programming, not just a demo loop. JR
post #185 of 7469 Old 02-01-2002, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Just spoke with Jim Gail this afternoon and he said that KNME Digital should be up-and-running with the PBS national signal today. They replaced several pieces of equipment along with adding more robust filtering of stray signals. He said they still have a couple of short dropouts every hour (which they had before) which is likely not originating from problems on the crest. Can't wait to check out the signal later this afternoon. Looking forward to Smart Travels with Rudy Maxa and the American Family series.

Jim also said KOB digital is functional but they are still waiting for that HD receiver from NBC. No word on when that will happen (as far as he knows). Would be nice to see the Olympics in HD.

He saw KRQE's digital setup last week and said they are half way done. No word on their completion and when they will be transmitting HD.

Sounds like all the major stations are all planning on being up-and-running for May 1 but no rush until then.

Happy Viewing.
post #186 of 7469 Old 02-01-2002, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

One more piece of information just came in from Dan Brown of KOB-TV (on possibly being up for the Olympics). Here is my question with his reply.

Dave, how are the prospects looking that you may be transmitting the Winter Olympics in high-definition digital. I know you were waiting on a HD receiver from NBC. Would appreciate any update. Thanks, Fred Jerina.

His reply...

Well...
There is still a possibility that we'll be able to do this thing. There was one more piece of equipment we needed, an encoder. We've managed to rent one.
It ships next Monday. We'll be attempting to do this later in the week...possibly by Thursday. (We have an FCC inspection Wednesday, so we'll
be tied up.)
Stay tuned....
Thanks,
Dan Brown
dbrown@kobtv.com
post #187 of 7469 Old 02-01-2002, 02:47 PM

There's a lot that must go right for KOB to be ready for the Olympics. At least they are trying and at least there is some events to be watched on HDNet.

BTW, what time is KNME due back up? I just checked and it was still that same loop they've been running.
post #188 of 7469 Old 02-01-2002, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought KMNE DT was up right now. I assume they flicked the switch from the file server to the national PBS feed. I would really like it to be up-and-running by 5:30 pm so I can see Smart Travels for this week.
post #189 of 7469 Old 02-01-2002, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think they went back to satellite HDTV PBS feed for now since endless replay of Ryan story "Cute newspaper woman" has stopped for now.

There is some dropouts from time to time on channel 35.3 but the signal strenth is fine so far at 70 to 71 on my RCA DTC-100.

KOB-DT sure got their hands full for the next few days and I am sure hopes it goes well.

They better pass the test by the FCC inspections!!

It would be great if KRQE-DT go on the air early in time for the March madness games.

2-1-02

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #190 of 7469 Old 02-01-2002, 04:39 PM

It does appear the PBS satellite feed is back. That is good news to me since I am still receiving the signal with my Zenith. Before KNME's transmitter went down, I could not receive it without "tiling" and loss of signal every few seconds. When the file server feed was used, I had no problem.

Two curiousities:
1) I have no program information with KNME now. Just says "regular programming". All other channels are providing info
2) KNME is mapping at 35-3. Prior to their transmitter going down, the channel was mapping at 5-1, which is where Jim Gale said it should be.
post #191 of 7469 Old 02-01-2002, 04:49 PM

Wow! No sooner did I finish the above post and return to watch the PBS travelogue when my reception again resumed the tiling/no signal loop. Over and Over.

What is up with that Zenith? Or the PBS satellite feed?
post #192 of 7469 Old 02-01-2002, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mike, did you get a new Zenith or is it the same one Jim checked out the other day. I'm wondering if the problem isn't the downlink. Send me an email at jerrich@abq.com sometime. JR
post #193 of 7469 Old 02-01-2002, 06:12 PM

Jerry,

It is the same Zenith. They are supposed to be sending me another one but it's been two weeks and ?

I am beginning to think my Zenith is not the real problem. The reception was perfect when KNME was broadcasting from the file server. It is only now that they are back to the satellite feed that the problem appears again.

And I noticed that during that travelogue at 5:30, something happened and they went back to the good old demo loop- the one with the old fart and Ashley Judd.
post #194 of 7469 Old 02-02-2002, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by OzoneEnts
Robert,

That's so true about waiting for local OTA stations to broadcast HD. I'm betting that, even after May 1 when DTV transmission is mandated, most of our wonderful stations will Not do HD. They are too cheap to buy the extra equipment.

I already get some HD: PBS from KNME, HBO and HDNet from DirecTv. If KOB really does broadcast HD as stated, my need for the big dish HDTV receiver will be minimal. Since CBS and Fox use different methods, I would only gain ABC. But KOAT is one that I fear will not give us HD so we'll see. Thanks for the info.

First of all, i don't think I can blame the local OTA stations for not broadcasting HDTV rapidly. for me, it's just a receiver or two to get it. for them, it's not only the receiver, but the transmitter, so they have a little more complexity than I have here. 8^)

CBS is the only HDTV I don't get from broadcasters due to their different system (I don't get HBO or HDNET as I don't have pay television or DirecTV HDTV setup).

Fox is not HDTV, but widescreen SDTV is still pretty nice from them despite all the slamming lately about their "HDTV". I"ll be watching the superbowl in widescreen 480p as the widescreen format is still much better for football than the 4:3 format.

Robert
post #195 of 7469 Old 02-02-2002, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

As of 8:30 am this Saturday morning, I am having a problem getting KNME DT. I think they still must be having problems. Anyone out there getting something from them???
post #196 of 7469 Old 02-02-2002, 08:35 AM

Robert,

I have no problem at all blaming the local stations for not broadcasting DTV (not even HDTV) until absolutely forced to by law. Especially considering that almost 50% of Americans can already receive some form of OTA HDTV. And May 1 I don't expect most of the locals to suddenly broadcast HDTV either, just a watered-down DTV version they can legally get by with. But then again, this is New Mexico....

I am a little confused about your ability to watch the Fox SDTV when in a prior post you said that:
"Fox and CBS use other types of receivers for their HDTV feeds (and both are C-band feeds). "
I assumed that you did not have this other type of receiver.

While I might be interested in adding yet another receiver for ABC and Fox (?), I am perfectly content to pay just $8 per month for HDTV HBO and the ever-expanding HDNet. It would take me 3-4 years to pay for a used Unity Motion and 8-9 years for a Integra at that rate.
post #197 of 7469 Old 02-02-2002, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

[quote]Originally posted by OzoneEnts
I have no problem at all blaming the local stations for not broadcasting DTV (not even HDTV) until absolutely forced to by law.

Seems like I dimly remember that the mandate had an 'out' built into it; something about digital tvs in 80% of the homes? How long before that happens? BTW, I got a good normal size signal this morning as of 9:30, but it was mapped up to 80-3 somehow. JR
post #198 of 7469 Old 02-04-2002, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

KOB-DT is on the air on channel 26.3 and the signal strenth is 51 so they must be running very low power at this time!!

This is great they are also sending out in close captioning!!

They are sending out at 480i at this time....

I will stay up late to see if Jay Leno will be shown in 1080i HDTV mode at 10:30 MST......

Please send in your signal report!!!

First picked up the KOB-DT's signal at 4:05 PM MST on Feb, 4th, 2002.....

2-4-02

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #199 of 7469 Old 02-04-2002, 03:48 PM

I, too, am now receiving KOB-DT. It is mapping at 4-1 on my Zenith. I don't have a numerical signal strength gauge but rather a simple scale from bad to normal to good. The signal is showing at the high end of good, better than DirecTv or KNME. However I am getting some audio dropouts.

Robert, how was the Superbowl in Fox faux HDTV? Besides being 16:9, how much better was the PQ compared with the Fox C-band feed that was available?
post #200 of 7469 Old 02-04-2002, 06:04 PM

I am still receiving KOB-DT at 4-1 but there are frequent (1+ per minute), brief interruptions where the audio drops off and the picture shows a bit of tiling.

Is this my Zenith receiver or the KOB transmitter?
post #201 of 7469 Old 02-04-2002, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm getting signal strength in the upper third of the scale on my Mits box. Outdoor antenna, near I40 and San Mateo. No picture yet. Still messing with the damn box.

Pete

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #202 of 7469 Old 02-04-2002, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Got picture. Upconverted NTSC. Looks a lot better than the analog channel. Sound is better too. Does anyone know if we'll see HD Leno or is everything being upconverted?

COOL - TWO STATIONS ON THE AIR!
GOOD JOB KOB!!

Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #203 of 7469 Old 02-04-2002, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I am also getting KOB-DT !!! It breaks up here and there once in awhile. Looks pretty good for NTSC upconverted. Maybe Cross Jordan (in HD) or Jay Leno (in HD) will be in HD here in ABQ. I think it won't be because they may not have all the equipment yet to uplink the national NBC HD signal to the crest. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

I congratulate KOB for getting this far. Let's hope for the Olympics in HD.

PBS is up-and-running again for me too. Now if they can just start transmitting the national feed instead of the demo loop on the file server then that would be great.

It was so cool to see TWO stations picked up my by Dish 6000 unit when I did the digital station auto-scan.
post #204 of 7469 Old 02-04-2002, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well here's my more signal report so far.......

KOB-DT's signal still doing some breakup about 10 +- seconds to 3 minutes due to a wild signal strenth bouncing around lot....

It's ranges from lows as 40's up to high as 58 on my signal meter.... "RCA DTC-100 using Terk TV-50 antenna"

At the same time KNME-DT was at 76 on my signal meter so far....

I am guessing that KOB-DT must be running at very low power around 50 to 150 watts ERP but then again I may be not right on this type of signal format.

Still waiting for the Crossing Jordan in HDTV mode at 9PM MST!

I will report how good is the picture in HDTV later in the night.

So party on guys!!!

2-4-02

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #205 of 7469 Old 02-04-2002, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Crossing Jordan and Jay Leno NOT in HD tonight on KOB DT as I suspected. Hope they get the HD working in time for the Olympics.
post #206 of 7469 Old 02-04-2002, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess Jay Leno will be off because due to a Winter Olympics games in Salt Lake City.....

The KOB signal is still breaking up so far.....

Maybe they will try to raise the TX power tommrow?

Well time to crash out for the night and QRT for the night.

Good night everyone!!!

2-4-02

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #207 of 7469 Old 02-05-2002, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I sent this message to Dan Brown at KOB this morning and following is his response. Looks encouraging !!!

Dan, several of us are receiving your KOB DT signal. You must be transmitting the NTSC signal from your studio. We are detecting the picture breaking up periodically (but I would imagine you already know that). Hope all is going well at your end in your testing efforts. Congratulations in getting something going for NBC. Digital life in Albuquerque is encouraging. Regards, Fred.

Dan Brown's response:

Thanks!
We have the people from the transmitter company coming in today for the
purpose of fixing the intermittant "tiling" and loss of lock that we have
been seeing.
With a little luck, we may be able to get the Olympic feed to you in Hi-def.
We're gonna "up" the power a little today, too. We are only using a
temporary antenna with about 400 watts feeding it. It's stuck up on a pole
on the crest!
It's kinda like Ham Radio...If we can get the Olympics going in HD, we'll be
making a little bit of New Mexico history...Imagine that!
Thanks, again
Dan
post #208 of 7469 Old 02-05-2002, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations on lighting up your digital transmitter yesterday. I'm getting excellent signal strength with a Mitsubishi box and outdoor antenna at I40 and San Mateo. Your broadcast usually pegs the signal strength meter at 100. KNME-DT runs at about 90-95% on my receiver. If you ever need feedback, feel free to call me on my cell at 250-####.

Once again, good job being the first NM commercial digital station on the air.

Pete Williams

And his reply:
Thanks!!!
We still have some bugs to work out of the system and we are only running about 400 watts into a little, temporary antenna...but we're getting there!
We might (!) be able to get the Olympic feed going in H-D with a temporary lash-up. We're working on it!
Stay tuned!!
Dan Brown

Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #209 of 7469 Old 02-05-2002, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by OzoneEnts
[
I am a little confused about your ability to watch the Fox SDTV when in a prior post you said that:
"Fox and CBS use other types of receivers for their HDTV feeds (and both are C-band feeds). "
I assumed that you did not have this other type of receiver.

[/b]

I have the special receiver for FOX widescreen "SDTV" feeds. I didn't get a receiver for CBS HDTV feeds as I gave the special FOX receiver priority due to how many more satellite signals it gets me compared to the CBS receiver.

Super Bowl 36 in widescreen was awesome! the only way to watch football when you can see the complete formations on the field (not just the quarterback to the linebackers like 4:3).

robert
post #210 of 7469 Old 02-06-2002, 10:13 AM

ABQ DTVers
Finally had a chance to map and check out KOB last night and this morning. Great upconverted pictures and much improved audio over NTSC; however, lots of break up and signal strength varies widely between 0 and mid 50's. I have a new Integra It910s with the new samsung 8vsb tuner incorporated using a TERK TV50. I'm about 15 miles with a good line of sight to the crest in Edgewood. By contrast, KNME is rock-solid. It sounds like everyone else is getting a pretty good lock?
John
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page