Reno, NV - HDTV - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 685 Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jerry,

Do a scan on your TV, Charter moved channels all over the map and added FOX/PBS and changed where the networks and sports channels (Digital and analog) are located.

Also they changed their music services based on the sheet sent in my Cable Bill. BASIC/BASIC plans lost several channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 685 Old 08-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfca View Post

Channel 14 in the Reno area is set to hit the air soon.

JFCA, what's Channel 14 going to carry? I am in Truckee and get Fox11, KOLO, and KTVN pretty well. Glad to see KOLO8 finally went HD on their newscasts.
post #663 of 685 Old 08-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone in Reno looking to go in on a HT subwoofer? I'm looking to buy a Rhythmic or a Epik Empire. (discounts when you buy more). I Figured since there are a bunch of locals on this thread I would take a shot before I pulled the trigger. PM me if interested.

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #664 of 685 Old 08-29-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraTech View Post

Jerry,

Do a scan on your TV, Charter moved channels all over the map and added FOX/PBS and changed where the networks and sports channels (Digital and analog) are located.

Also they changed their music services based on the sheet sent in my Cable Bill. BASIC/BASIC plans lost several channels.

Rescan worked!
I scanned and now have:

2.1 2.2
8.1 8.2
11.1 11.2
21.1 21.2
27.1 27.2 27.3

I am only using OTA. I see PBS's transmitter is located a bit north and west of Slide Mtn.... probably out of range?

Seems like 4 and 2 use the same tower. Wonder why I do not get 4? I see that 21 is transmitting a little to the East, and I get the best signal from them. I am afraid I am into my trees, but still not bad given the location.

I used the TV fool downloads to get details on locations:

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...ask=view&id=21

Via Google Earth.
post #665 of 685 Old 09-06-2010, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You are right that KRNV and KTVN use the same transmit antenna. KRNV (NBC on digial 4.1) transmits on channel 7. Do you have an antenna with good VHF performance? KTVN is on channel 13 which being a higher frequency is more likely to be received by antennas primarily designed to receive UHF. Hope this helps.
post #666 of 685 Old 09-06-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post

Rescan worked!
I scanned and now have:

2.1 2.2
8.1 8.2
11.1 11.2
21.1 21.2
27.1 27.2 27.3

I am only using OTA. I see PBS's transmitter is located a bit north and west of Slide Mtn.... probably out of range?

Seems like 4 and 2 use the same tower. Wonder why I do not get 4? I see that 21 is transmitting a little to the East, and I get the best signal from them. I am afraid I am into my trees, but still not bad given the location.

I used the TV fool downloads to get details on locations:

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...ask=view&id=21

Via Google Earth.

Thanks for the website, I will need to investigate more closely. I haven't tried terrestrial, but will earmark some time to experiment. In South Incline we might not have a straight shot at Slide Peak due to topology of the mountains. It would be interesting to test it, but may be expensive. I did use antennaweb.org, and it tells me I need a very "HIGH-GAIN" antenna for over the air reception. This might pose a problem since I wish to put the antenna in the attic over the garage, and I have a metal roof.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Bob
post #667 of 685 Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...This might pose a problem since I wish to put the antenna in the attic over the garage, and I have a metal roof. ...

I think you might be SOL with the attic. I am in about the center of Incline. When I first started, my antenna was in the attic above my second story. I could only watch TV about half the time.
post #668 of 685 Old 10-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bear89451 View Post

I think you might be SOL with the attic. I am in about the center of Incline. When I first started, my antenna was in the attic above my second story. I could only watch TV about half the time.

Thanks for the report! From my roof (when I was building my house I spent a lot of time on that metal roof which was not the most comforting feeling) there is no line of site to Slide Peak, I see the mountain where the streets Driver and Fairview intersect and lots of trees so I may end up with nothing in our area.

I saw AT&T working nearby the other day and asked if they are pulling a fiber, and they confirmed that they were upgrading DSL speeds with Fiber which tells me U-Verse may be available soon. I pre-wired for a dish antenna but I have so many trees south of my house that locating a dish would be a challenge. So if U-Verse comes to Incline then I will be very interested (I currently cannot upgrade to Elite DSL speed, but now maybe higher DSL speeds and IPTV will be available).
post #669 of 685 Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 PM

Did KNPB increase their signal in Truckee? I just did a re-scan this weekend and it went from never coming in to now around 80%. Nice to see, I can get all the majors now in Truckee (Tahoe Donner).
post #670 of 685 Old 11-15-2010, 03:04 PM

I'm in Carson City, down at the south end of town. I have a high-VHF/UHF antenna mounted on my roof. I currently can pick up channels 2, 4, 5, 11, 21, and 27. Channel 8 comes in very sporadically; typically it's very pixelated or has no signal at all.

It's my understanding that Channel 8 is coming from Mount Rose, along with 2 and 4. Is there any reason why I get perfect reception on all channels except 8?
post #671 of 685 Old 11-15-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:

So if U-Verse comes to Incline then I will be very interested (I currently cannot upgrade to Elite DSL speed, but now maybe higher DSL speeds and IPTV will be available).

The phone company has been working occasionally on the next street over and accidentally broke my main phone line (while he was rewiring the pedestal). I went and informed the tech working on it (who was moving the lines with DSL in preparation for the Fiber) and told him my line has been dead for about 3 hours, he confirmed it got accidentally broke (NO DSL on that line).

I asked him if Uverse will be part of the upgraded Fiber services and he said, "No, AT&T only has it only in Reno". So I guess we are stuck with CATV or Satellite (if you have a free view of the southern horizon).
post #672 of 685 Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Joe Blogggs - If you can move the antenna a couple of feet you may find your problem goes away. I have an antenna in my attic in east Reno. I have a perftect line of sight to Peavine where KRXI transmits their main signal. Could not get it. I moved the antenna about a foot and have never had a problem since. You could be in a null for KOLO. They transmit on channel 8, high VHF. You could look for bad cable/splitter/amplifier connections too. I can't think of a reason you should not get it.
post #673 of 685 Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfox View Post
Joe Blogggs - If you can move the antenna a couple of feet you may find your problem goes away. I have an antenna in my attic in east Reno. I have a perftect line of sight to Peavine where KRXI transmits their main signal. Could not get it. I moved the antenna about a foot and have never had a problem since. You could be in a null for KOLO. They transmit on channel 8, high VHF. You could look for bad cable/splitter/amplifier connections too. I can't think of a reason you should not get it.
I am out of Tahoe now but I had the same Joe B problem with 8 near Tahoe City. In theory it should be the same as the others, but not in my experience. Wonder if their transmitter just does not put out the same amount of juice....
post #674 of 685 Old 12-27-2010, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
During an attempt to see if any additions could be made to the Over-the-air HDTV News Stations table in the HDTV Programming subfourm, I checked out the websites of KRXI and KTVN, the two Reno stations not listed. I see that they both definitely have widescreen news, but does anyone know if their news is also in HD? Feel free to post in the Is your local news in HD? thread if you know.
post #675 of 685 Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 PM

KTVN's newscast is not yet in HD but wide screen SD. I believe the 10p news on KRXI is in HD.
post #676 of 685 Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
charter is going to add 27 new hd channels to the Reno market on May 17th.

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/Vis...Y.xbin?ID=2659
post #677 of 685 Old 05-03-2011, 04:41 PM

It appears that most of these HD channels requires a Box or Cable Card to enjoy the added HD & Digital Channels (extended Service). I didn't see any Chanel Lineup insert in Incline Village Cable bill on changes (I will check again), so this may be the Reno area only. From the looks of things it appears very few channels have been added (except Weather Channel moved back down to "Basic Service" (this is welcomed) and the return of the History channel on Expanded Basic). Services added to QAM are minimum (appears FOX-HD moved into Basic Service where it belongs). Expanded Basic is only Analog, all HD channels in this tier requires Cable Card or Box.

The rental of a Cable Card or Box still pushes the price too high. Still hoping AT&T Uverse comes to Incline (the infrastructure is being put in place), anything to keep the costs down would be welcomed. Again this may not even affect Incline Village since we have our own 'Head-in'. AT&T has been pulling fiber to various neighborhoods, for Internet speed improvement, but I think Uverse is not too far behind.

Thanks for sharing!
post #678 of 685 Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Incline is on a totally different headend. This update only includes Reno and Sparks. I think the 2662 pdf might be your area. You can copy and paste the link above and change the #'s for different areas.
post #679 of 685 Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Does anyone know what HD-DVR Charter is currently using for new installs? I have been with satellite companies for the past few years since the channel lineup and hardware from Charter sucked. Now with these additional HD channels, I'm hoping their hardware has improved as well.
post #680 of 685 Old 06-14-2011, 05:49 PM

Ok so this is getting real F#(*ing frustrating for me and wife. Have had Charter in the same location for going on 3yrs now without much issue. Suddenly within the last couple months they have been doing the "digital switching" change over and all our expanded digital and premiums (basically 100 on up) are complete f'ed. Had four techs out and Charter keeps blaming the Tivos (S3 TivoHD and new Premiere). It goes from working completely to nothing working except for a few sparing channels. Had the cablecards replaced, signal strength checked and what-not, and nothing is wrong.

Hoping that the Charter Rep that usually watches this thread is watching today because last night I called, scheduled a tech (because once again we got nothing above 100) and instructed them to send out a supervisor with multiple Mcards and even a GD forsaken tuning adapter so that we can get this working and they sent out a young guy with nothing from Prince Communications. Read to call it quits with Charter over this.
post #681 of 685 Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 AM

I'm not having any problems (well, I had one) with the quality of my service, but I'm about ready to drop Charter because they aren't showing enough Giants games in HD. About time I tested the DirecTV or U-Verse waters....
post #682 of 685 Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Yeah unfortunately for me this has been going on since February, multiple technicians out to replace cards, add tuning adapter, tuning adapter isn't needed, etc. Just real frustrating because in Carson we don't have much of an option; either go with Charter or go with one of the dishes. In my experience, if we get bad weather the Dish (whether Dish or DTv) gets messed up and you lose signal. While we do not watch a ton of TV we want it there when we do want to watch it.

Ended up talking (yes talking not yelling) with a Charter tech and we are supposed to have a Supervisor Tech here this morning to remedy the issue. Sorry but paying close to $200 a month with internet and cable and for this **** to only work sparingly at best is a bit ridiculous to me.
post #683 of 685 Old 06-17-2011, 10:22 AM

Good luck with that. I just found out that I can't get U-Verse at my location yet.
post #684 of 685 Old 07-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Guys,

Was just up at Tahoe and rescanned my channels. I have gotten what I have in the past (2, 8,11, 21, 27), but a very feeble signal on 4. Is this the weakest sister of the transmitters?

PS Still no PBS visible....
post #685 of 685 Old 10-15-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Watch for Antenna TV to appear as soon as the first of November on KTVN.

The first of January seems to be a realistic launch date, inspite of some info suggesting November.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page