Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 685 Old 12-15-2005, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bear89451 View Post

What you need is 28-30 dBs more gain than if the hill was not there, not total. In another words, If you could pickup the station with a -15 dB antenna at the top of your hypothetical 700 foot tower, you would need a 13-15 dB antenna to get that same amount of signal from your roof. I hadn't looked at the chart before, 4 degrees is a lot more than I thought. Now, I am curious to calculate my own obstruction, since I always assumed it was more like 6 degrees.

I wasn't sure about those numbers. It almost seems that my reception issue is that I'm close to the obstruction? If you pm me your address or geo coords, I can run the Splat analysis for you.

Here's the predicted coverage map for KRNV from Splat..
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 685 Old 12-17-2005, 08:45 AM

Anyone else not able to receive KRXI-HD (44)? looks like it went off air yesterday sometime...
post #183 of 685 Old 12-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

You were not the only one. It's now working.
post #184 of 685 Old 12-26-2005, 12:46 PM

I just cancelled my DirecTV service to go with Charter, as I thought I was going to be getting a better deal... but now I appear to be getting screwed instead.

They have no Moxi boxes and no HD Receivers, even though they told me everything I needed was availble when I signed up and as a result cancelled my DirecTV service... so I just have some old Digital Receiver right now and pretty much none of the features I switched over for.

What I'm wondering is, if I drop my Charter service all the way to their basic/expanded analog service, and plug the cable straight into my TV (DCR ready, picks up HD locals right now through the cable they installed) will I still recieve channels 1-77 + the HD Locals? The extra HD fees are only for Discovery, ESPN, etc.. right?

I'm thinking I'm going to just convert my PC into a DVR and go this route if I'll still get those channels. I'm so frustrated with Charter right now I'm tempted to just cancel outright.. but if I can get at least a good deal of channels for only 20 bucks or less a month I may just stick it out.
post #185 of 685 Old 12-26-2005, 01:59 PM

Liked: 11
Dr. Cheesesteak,

I'm not sure if I understand.......Directv has HD and/or HD DVR receivers, and they have the capability to receive OTA HD, which means you can record with the HD DVR, both OTA and SAT HD content.

However, you should be able to receive all the local HD content that Charter has to offer with a cable ready HD TV.

Best of luck,

Rich
post #186 of 685 Old 12-26-2005, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytyguy View Post

Dr. Cheesesteak,

I'm not sure if I understand.......Directv has HD and/or HD DVR receivers, and they have the capability to receive OTA HD, which means you can record with the HD DVR, both OTA and SAT HD content.

However, you should be able to receive all the local HD content that Charter has to offer with a cable ready HD TV.

Best of luck,

Rich

The issue was the price. I didn't want to pay for the box up front, sign a two year contract, pay the extra fee for the HD feeds, and still have to receive locals with an antenna.

After doing some price matching and looking at the exact channels/features I wanted, the better price was with Charter.
post #187 of 685 Old 12-26-2005, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post

IThey have no Moxi boxes and no HD Receivers, even though they told me everything I needed was availble when I signed up and as a result cancelled my DirecTV service... so I just have some old Digital Receiver right now and pretty much none of the features I switched over for.

Ok, sorry, like I said, I wasn't sure I understood your question. They do have HD receivers, as you apparently know.

Best regards,

Rich
post #188 of 685 Old 12-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...What I'm wondering is, if I drop my Charter service all the way to their basic/expanded analog service, and plug the cable straight into my TV (DCR ready, picks up HD locals right now through the cable they installed) will I still recieve channels 1-77 + the HD Locals? The extra HD fees are only for Discovery, ESPN, etc.. right?...

Yes. If you already have a PC, buying a QAM card will be cheaper than renting from Charter. Although Discovery-HD is probably my favorite channel, I could buy DVDs off Amazon for less than I pay for the premium channels.
post #189 of 685 Old 12-31-2005, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anybody else loose OTA from Slide Mt today? No HD signal and no HD broadcast on Charter from anyone on Slide. Just wondering if my rec took a hit w/ all the power surge events w/today's wx.
post #190 of 685 Old 12-31-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post

Anybody else loose OTA from Slide Mt today? No HD signal and no HD broadcast on Charter from anyone on Slide. Just wondering if my rec took a hit w/ all the power surge events w/today's wx.

OK, CBS is back online,2-1 at 4:41pst. Glad it wasn't my rec.
post #191 of 685 Old 12-31-2005, 04:52 PM

The channel 2 studio lost power once, and I'm sure there were some transmission problems related to the flooding affecting power in areas of Reno/Sparks. It wouldn't surprise me of the tower on Slide lost power as well because of a mudslide or something.
post #192 of 685 Old 12-31-2005, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The only HD channel on this morning was channel 8. The analog channels were on.
Just think, when all the analog channels are gone, during bad weather it could be a real possibility that we wouldn't have any local tv to deliver updates of the storm we'd be in the middle of.
post #193 of 685 Old 12-31-2005, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The issue was the price. I didn't want to pay for the box up front, sign a two year contract, pay the extra fee for the HD feeds, and still have to receive locals with an antenna.

After doing some price matching and looking at the exact channels/features I wanted, the better price was with Charter.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Within a month (before contract fully kicked in) I gave Charter the boot as I was missing Monday Night Football, the Super Bowl, and having to deal with their shady billing tactics. I went back to DirecTV and laid down the cash for a HD DVR and a HD receiver. After all the rebates, discounts, programming credits, net/net I'll only be out about 2 or 3 bills. DirecTV has a defined upgrade path over the next 3 years, whereas Charter doesn't even know what HD channels they carry, or if they what inventory they have on hand. I personally felt the PQ on HD content was better with Direct as well on my CRT based RPTV. I kept them for phone and high speed which has been fine, but still have to get out the magnifying glass and calculator every time my bill comes. I guess it's hard to get stuff right when you're head's up your rear end, and that applies to just about eveyone I dealt with up there.

DJ_JonnyV
post #194 of 685 Old 01-11-2006, 12:48 PM

HELP!! just built a new house, bought a panny ae900 projector for the theater, bought a panny 8uk plasma for the master bedroom and samsung dlp for the fam room. i need to figure out what is the best way/set up to get hd tv into my house. i live in arrowcreek. questions i have are:

1. direct tv vs. dish tv vs. cable
2. any recommendation for a local installer who knows what they're talking about
3. what reception equpment?
4. any advice?

although i don't know much about this stuff, i'm learning and i'd like to do as much on my own as possible. thanks in advance.
post #195 of 685 Old 01-11-2006, 01:52 PM

If you have cable ready TV's, then you could subscribe to Charter with just basic cable and receive all the local HD channels that they transmit for the price of basic service. Actually, I receive them for the price of broadband service.

HTH,

Rich
post #196 of 685 Old 01-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmnoh View Post

...4. any advice?...

Can you see all the transmitters from your house? If so, as set of rabbit ears and loop should get you all the local HD stations.
post #197 of 685 Old 01-16-2006, 09:09 AM

I've been posting this all over the web today in the hopes I can get a good response...

Quick question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I got everything installed on Saturday and so far (DirecTV dish and HD receiver, in-house OTA antenna and a Westinghouse LCD TV). CBS and FOX come in great. With NBC (KRNV), I get green and black vertical lines on the screen. I tried jiggling the antenna a bit -- how old school -- to no avail.

I live in Donner Springs, near the skateboard park. Any suggestions on what I can do to get the KRNV signal to come in without the pesky lines?

Thanks!
post #198 of 685 Old 01-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone else noticed problems with KOLO's SD ASTC broadcast? I get a flickering line at center of the screen, near the top. I assume this is a problem with their de-interlace, since it only happens during SD up-converts, such as commercials. I don't get the problem during true HD broadcasts.

HeidiL,
Are you watching analog channel 4? These lines sound like analog interference. The KRNV digital OTA channels are 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 (broadcast on 7).
post #199 of 685 Old 01-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

I am seeing the same thing as you are seeing from KOLO. At first I thought it was dead pixels from my LCD rear projection TV. It looks perfect during true HD broadcasts. Whew, I am not the only one seeing this.
post #200 of 685 Old 02-26-2006, 08:17 PM

I can third the ABC thing - its annoying as heck. I don't like ABC anyways becasue most programming is yellowish and dark (and its not my set).

Does anyone know if Fox is broadcasting HD off Slide yet? Where I am in Double Diamond prevents me from receiving fox from their original location.

PSN: technologiq
GamerTag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wii#: 2216 6139 7881 1960
post #201 of 685 Old 02-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

ABC-HDTV (KOLO) antenna seems to be very sensitive to storms. Everytime a storm comes, ABC-HDTV goes down. Drives me nuts.

When ABC-HDTV is working properly, I do not notice the yellowish and dark pictures you are describing. Are you watching High Definition (channel 8.1)?
post #202 of 685 Old 02-27-2006, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nagy View Post

ABC-HDTV (KOLO) antenna seems to be very sensitive to storms. Everytime a storm comes, ABC-HDTV goes down. Drives me nuts.

When ABC-HDTV is working properly, I do not notice the yellowish and dark pictures you are describing. Are you watching High Definition (channel 8.1)?

You know - it may be the DirecTV feed. I realized that its only the SD content that my g/f has recorded most likely off of Sat chan 8. I just checked the recorded Desperate Housewives on 8.1 and it looks great.

PSN: technologiq
GamerTag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wii#: 2216 6139 7881 1960
post #203 of 685 Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

I do notice SD content appear yellowish, not just ABC, but other channels as well. But true HD content always look fantastic.
post #204 of 685 Old 03-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Has any one watched the NCAA FINALS on CHARTER? This is the biggest MESS I have seen in HD. Any movement, flash or anything was BLURRY & PIXELIZED the worst. It was UNWATCHABLE.Good going CHARTER !

Mark
post #205 of 685 Old 03-28-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

Has any one watched the NCAA FINALS on CHARTER? This is the biggest MESS I have seen in HD. Any movement, flash or anything was BLURRY & PIXELIZED the worst. It was UNWATCHABLE.Good going CHARTER !

Mark

I agree completely. Charter HD is the worst I've seen for any live event. I can occasionally get CBS OTA and the comparison isn't even close. And on top of all that, the earlier rounds where almost unwatchable b/c of the switching from SDef to HD games.
post #206 of 685 Old 03-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

HDTV CBS OTA is awesome. I don't have Charter because I don't want to pay for it. Get OTA HDTV Set Top Box (STB) or TV with built-in HDTV tuner if you have the money and cancel Charter. There are six OTA HDTV local stations (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN and PBS). WB (Ch. 27) OTA is SDTV but most of the time it does not work.
post #207 of 685 Old 03-28-2006, 07:01 PM

Charter Fallon NCAA was crystal clear, big problem is the switching at channel 2 between SD and HD it is slow and often stays on way too long.
post #208 of 685 Old 04-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mark

Tried watching George Mason-Florida game in HD on Charter yesterday. And I have to say it it was 100% better than last week. Only slight PIXELIZATION in fast motion. Thought I should say something positive about CHARTER when they did a good job.

Mark
post #209 of 685 Old 04-03-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Tried watching George Mason-Florida game in HD on Charter yesterday. And I have to say it it was 100% better than last week. Only slight PIXELIZATION in fast motion. Thought I should say something positive about CHARTER when they did a good job.

Mark

Yes, I will agree. Much better all around for Charter Ch 2. They have moved some things around on the QAM freqs though. It might be temporary as they were showing SHOHD free preview on a unscrambled QAM channel and PBS was on something other than 104-8 (can't remember what channel right off hand).
post #210 of 685 Old 04-09-2006, 06:02 PM

it's been a couple weeks now that I've noticed the changes in Charter QAM channels. ABC has either been dropped or is 104.7, showing up on my basic cable feed as a scrambled channel, and PBS has moved from 104.8 to 105.8. I'm using a LG stb w/basic cable. My only way of getting ABC HD is with Charter. I have trees blocking my view of Slide Mt for OTA and ABC is broadcasting at a lower strength than CBS for example. I first noticed this change when Charter had their SHO freeby going last week. Is there a way of getting in touch with tech at Charter, not a CR, and get this fixed that anybody knows? The NBA playoffs, and NFL football are coming up soon. Anybody have any ideas?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page