post #4801 of 4809 Old 03-04-2007, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I actually noticed a bit more "creeping fog" (or whatever the correct jargon is for it these days) in dark backgrounds on some of the WTTW-HD stuff the other day, since I now have a 50" display and can actually notice that kind of stuff more (unfortunately, at times). And the non-HD stuff also seems a little softer to me than usual - but that could just be the particular programming they've been showing. 11-2 definitely is softer, for sure.

I'm keeping my eye on it.

Very descriptive. I knew exactly what you were talking about.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4809 Old 03-04-2007, 11:03 AM

Liked: 10
Thank you Andy and Gilbert. I thought I was heading in the right direction but it sure helps when others can provide assurances and advice. As soon as the weather improves I will move ahead with the installation, I'm going to use the 7084p. Since I get pretty good reception in my bedroom with a Terk Antenna (no WBBM of course!) I can't wait to see how much better things will be in both rooms when we have an outside antenna.

As for my TV's they are both Sony XBR 26 inch LCD's that were purchased new in January 2006. As far as multipath goes, the one in the den has problems with mutipath at times and the one in the bedroom rarely has a problem.

At the time we took the antenna down (1990) I had two large trees near the antenna and my neighbor also had a large tree in its path and we still had a great picture in our living room. All three trees are now gone. We also had the Naval Base to deal with along with the planes going into O'Hare. Now all we have is the planes from O'Hare, I can see them but they fly west of our house.

ALSO - when the list of stations is updated again to include 11.4 please note that 38.3 is now IONLIFE and 38.4 is Worship.

I'm really excited about this project and will let you know when it is up and running. Take care, Jerry
post #4803 of 4809 Old 03-04-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfordpromo View Post

As soon as the weather improves I will move ahead with the installation, I'm going to use the 7084p. Since I get pretty good reception in my bedroom with a Terk Antenna (no WBBM of course!) I can't wait to see how much better things will be in both rooms when we have an outside antenna.

ALSO - when the list of stations is updated again to include 11.4 please note that 38.3 is now IONLIFE and 38.4 is Worship.

I'm really excited about this project and will let you know when it is up and running. Take care, Jerry

I is now Ion, so all of that and 11-4 will be updated shortly. Best on the install,
and thanks!

Gilbert
post #4804 of 4809 Old 03-05-2007, 01:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfordpromo View Post

Now all we have is the planes from O'Hare, I can see them but they fly west of our house.

Ah, yes - the planes.

Growing up in Franklin Park, I sure don't miss those things constantly and literally flying right over my house since I've lived out here in C. L.

That common belief that you "get used to them" is complete B.S. - I never got a good night's sleep and had jangled nerves during all my years of living in the near west suburbs .

It sure is nice to finally have them totally out of my life now .
post #4805 of 4809 Old 03-05-2007, 06:01 AM

Without reading this entire thread, is everyone having problems picking up WBBM? Is it because they are broadcasting on Channel 3? Do they plan to move to a different channel? I have been hearing complaints about their reception for years. I used to live in Kenosha. Just curious.
post #4806 of 4809 Old 03-05-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Ah, yes - the planes.

Growing up in Franklin Park, I sure don't miss those things constantly and literally flying right over my house since I've lived out here in C. L.

That common belief that you "get used to them" is complete B.S. - I never got a good night's sleep and had jangled nerves during all my years of living in the near west suburbs .

It sure is nice to finally have them totally out of my life now .

I lived in the traffic patterns of O'Hare for 29 years. I move to CL and I'm in the traffic pattern for Lake in the Hills. At least no 747's out here.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #4807 of 4809 Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally34949 View Post

Without reading this entire thread, is everyone having problems picking up WBBM?

Yep.
Quote:

Is it because they are broadcasting on Channel 3?

Yep.
Quote:

Do they plan to move to a different channel?

Yes, eventually they will move to 11, but at even lower power, so don't expect a big improvement.

--
Christopher D. Heer
Disclaimer: I neither speak for nor represent my employer or its views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
post #4808 of 4809 Old 03-05-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

I lived in the traffic patterns of O'Hare for 29 years. I move to CL and I'm in the traffic pattern for Lake in the Hills. At least no 747's out here.

Try 40 years . Franklin Park, near Belmont and Mannheim - which practically bordered it, for 22, and Northlake, at Wolf and Fullerton, which had a path that literally went right over me, for another 18. You could almost see the people in the planes . It's no wonder people from my area, including myself, drank so much back then .

I'm not far from the L.I.T.H. airport now at all (near Three Oaks and Sands), but I seldom ever even see or hear them. They never fly directly over, they're very high up when I do see one, and like you say, they don't really make much noise - just a very faint, low buzz. With all the accidents around these parts, I probably see N.I.M.C.'s Flight for Life copter go over more often, which is rarely.

I actually see more balloons flying near me from Fox River Grove in the summer. Sometimes there's a few in the sky at once. Pretty neat sight .
post #4809 of 4809 Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
sebenste (Gilbert) has set up a new thread for OTA in Chicago. He's done a great job of keeping the first post in this thread up to date, but it's been a logistical PITA since he isn't the OP. I suggested he start a new thread so future updates can be handled without having to ask a Mod to edit the first post.

I know it's a pain, but make sure you update your subscription to the new link if you are currently subscribed to this thread.

He's got a nice collection of info that should help a great deal when newbies need quick answers. Just direct them to the first post. Here's a link to the new thread.

Chicago, IL - OTA

The Thread Index will take about a day to update.

BTW - This was my suggestion, not Gilbert's, so I'll monitor the new thread for a few days to address any gripes (some people hate change of any kind)

Thread Closed.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page