Columbus, OH - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 602 Old 08-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone confirm that they're now receiving DiscoveryHD (NOT Discovery Theater)? I'm on a Tivo w/ CableCard, and though Tivo added it to my lineup, I'm only getting a black screen... and so I'm wondering if this channel is the start of switched video. Multiple calls plus an email to TWC gives me reps who say "it's no longer part of our lineup" (as if it had been). The only person that had any clue said it was on the lineup for about a week, but they were having problems and took it off. So if someone can confirm that they're getting video from this channel (is it perhaps 762? I forget now...), that'd be super.

I really wish there was a way to talk to someone in the Columbus NOC about this -- to get some real details about what's going on.

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 602 Old 08-17-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspam View Post

Can anyone confirm that they're now receiving DiscoveryHD (NOT Discovery Theater)? I'm on a Tivo w/ CableCard, and though Tivo added it to my lineup, I'm only getting a black screen... and so I'm wondering if this channel is the start of switched video. Multiple calls plus an email to TWC gives me reps who say "it's no longer part of our lineup" (as if it had been). The only person that had any clue said it was on the lineup for about a week, but they were having problems and took it off. So if someone can confirm that they're getting video from this channel (is it perhaps 762? I forget now...), that'd be super.

I really wish there was a way to talk to someone in the Columbus NOC about this -- to get some real details about what's going on.

Thanks,
Jeff

Here is what I did, but don't use Tivo. All I did was turn off my restarted by cable box and bam Discovery HD was there along with USA HD. So just try that.

Pigeon, winged cloak of grey, In the city's hellish maw, One glance and you fly away, Your grace holds me in awe.
My DVD Collection (Updated w/Bambi 3/5/2011)
post #453 of 602 Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, we should all be seeing 1 new HD on TWC by saturday at noon.
post #454 of 602 Old 08-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesne View Post

Well, we should all be seeing 1 new HD on TWC by saturday at noon.

BigTen (Columbus Area):
SD Channel 24
HD Channel 757

Hopefully, for TWC's sake, they don't have the same problems they had two weeks ago when rolling out the other new channels.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/MidOh...ble/Big10.html

Philips 42" LCD HDTV (model 42PF9831D/37)
Dish Network ViP722 & TWC Cisco 8640HDC
post #455 of 602 Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob052067 View Post

BigTen (Columbus Area):
SD Channel 24
HD Channel 757

Hopefully, for TWC's sake, they don't have the same problems they had two weeks ago when rolling out the other new channels.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/MidOh...ble/Big10.html

So do we have to pay or what?

Pigeon, winged cloak of grey, In the city's hellish maw, One glance and you fly away, Your grace holds me in awe.
post #456 of 602 Old 08-27-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod_38 View Post

So do we have to pay or what?

It's yet to be determined if and how much our bills will go up (according to article in Dispatch today). Unless you are under a rate-guarantee period, I think we can count on an overall increase next January and it will include the cost of Big10. The Big10 wanted $1.10/sub. Comcast was estimated to be paying $0.70/sub with their agreement, and I would guess TWC is paying close to that. So for those 3-4 Saturdays per year that most customers will ever watch the Big10 channel, we'll probably all be paying around $1 more per month year-round for the privilege.

Edit: Also noted in the Dispatch article was that channel 24 would be temporary until they figure out a permanent home for it. Ch. 24 is currently the TWC Customer Service channel, but they are going to use it for Big10 for now so they could get it up and running right away. Also, being on Ch.24 means that even folks with 'basic' cable will have access to Big10 for at least the first OSU game or two. Once a permanent channel is found, it will be on a higher channel as part of the 'standard' service level. The HD Channel (757) is essentially it's permanent home.

post #457 of 602 Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 AM

I wish they'd put the HD channel out there today, so they have more than 2 hours to fix all the issues. At 10am tomorrow, I can hear the TW customer service messages now, "Your estimated wait time for a representitive is....never" or "We are experiecing issues with Big 10 network HD in the following areas....All".
post #458 of 602 Old 09-14-2008, 04:44 PM

hey guys,
i have TWC (SE Ohio) and have looked for an answer elsewhere but i can't find one so i'm asking you: The local channels are all froze and will not work (in hd, they work fine in sd) but all other hd channels like espn, nat geo, etc. work fine. i'm wondering why this is. i've only been with twc since monday and haven't had this problem until today. is it broadband issues or what because the Browns game is going to be on soon and i deserve the right to watch them in high def, (even if they do get creamed). is this a problem i have to just sit back and take today? should i expect this more often or on certain days? i have no idea what's wrong. my box is model dch 6200 so any answers are appreciated very much. thank you.
post #459 of 602 Old 09-14-2008, 05:00 PM

ok nevermind, turns out it's the weather.
now how do i delete this post/thread?
post #460 of 602 Old 09-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckdogg View Post

ok nevermind, turns out it's the weather.
now how do i delete this post/thread?

Consider yourself lucky you can watch it at all.

I have no power or cable.

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #461 of 602 Old 09-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frorule View Post

Consider yourself lucky you can watch it at all.

I have no power or cable.

same here. I'm unsure how long it is going to be out but Gahanna schools have already been canceled for tomorrow.

-Rich
post #462 of 602 Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorX View Post

same here. I'm unsure how long it is going to be out but Gahanna schools have already been canceled for tomorrow.

I live near the airport and was out from a little before 6pm until a little before 9pm. Cable and RR came back up as soon as the power did.

I was a little worried it could be out a long time, and for some it will be. About 15 mins before the power came back up here, the news on channel 6 (I have a battery TV) was saying that 211,000 AEP customers in Franklin county were down and AEP was saying that due to the widespread damage from the wind, power restoration could take up to 5-7 days in some areas. (They always say customers, but I'm guessing the average customer household is 2.5 to 3 persons, plus businesses.)

My sister and her husband live about 20-miles NW of Houston and will probably be powerless for many days. They've been communicating via iPhone text msgs.

My folks live in southern IN near Evansville and have been without power all day, no word on when it will be back up (winds were a little down worse there than in Columbus). What's worse is that even AT&T wireless is down in their area and their land line AT&T phone also went out tonite. I have not been able to reach them since around 7pm tonite. Their neighbor has Verizon wireless and was working this afternoon when mom called me, so I could try calling them if there was an emergency.

post #463 of 602 Old 09-14-2008, 09:41 PM

PS: For Big10 fans. In case anyone didn't notice, TWC is now offering (as of this past weekend) all 4 alternate channels of Big10 on in SD channels 153-156 (in Columbus). No word on whether the alternate channels will be added in HD someday (as they are on Dish and Direct). But, for those TWC customers who are fans of all Big10 teams - not just the Buckeyes - you will be able to catch up to 5 games at the same time on Saturday afternoons, and sometimes a few more on Saturday evenings.

post #464 of 602 Old 09-15-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Does anyone know if WCMH-DT is off the air or is it just a directv problem?

Well whatever the problem was they are back on directv now.
post #465 of 602 Old 09-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It's only been 24 hours since the power went out, but for some reason, it feels like it's been a week. I hate this. Most of the power crews in my area were either in the Carolinas or down in Texas. Reports claim they should be rolling back up here tonight, so hopefully by this time tomorrow, we'll have power back. (Fingers crossed)

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #466 of 602 Old 09-21-2008, 02:33 PM

I am one of those people who could use some advice from folks more knowledgeble than me and thought that this site might be a good place to get some.

So here is what's going on: I have had an Hd ready or HD monitor TV (not full HD) since about Christmas 2006. Origonally, I had not planned to go the over the air route, that is, until I saw what those over the air signals looked like on an HDTV.

I've spent alot of money to get a stand alone tuner that dosn't down-convert to analog, a grandtec tun-5000. I have tried two different antennas, the non-amplifed one that came with the grandtec, and an older, lightly used, amplified Terk. Problem: despite the fact that I live in middle of Columbus, (right across the river from downtown) I can't seem to pick the digital channels for Wtte, WWHO, either of WSYX's or WSFJ.

Possible causes:

Building: I live on the eleventh floor (top floor) of an old high rise apartment building. That is to say, a great reinforced concreate ediface. The walls may be blocking the signal.

The antenna: The Terk is old. I don't know it's model, and I tried to find pictures of similar ones online in vain. But there is a date on the model: 1994. That sounds bad but I got it from a friend who is exremely trustworthy, who tells me it basically sat on a shelf and was almost never used. So while age and dated technology might be an issue, being worn out from use is not.

The Tuner: The thing arrived from amazon in a box (not the mailing package, the manufactures package within this) that simply did not have any kind of seal. Furthermore, inside this box, the manual and all paperwork was missing. The unit is operating but it may not be operating to spec. The reviews on the net seemed to indcate that this model had very high sensitivity, and was the model to get for those who were out in the country. That not the performace my unit is giving. Also, the unit is running much warmer than I would have expected.

Can you guys give me some advice as to how to sort out which of these is the problem(s), and which arn't?
post #467 of 602 Old 09-21-2008, 04:40 PM

It sounds like someone else returned your Grandtec... maybe for the same reason? Then again, these results seem par for the course with my OTA experience.

When I first started playing with OTA HD (I was in NYC at the time), I had zero reception despite living about a mile or two from the transmitters. It wasn't until I upgraded to a newer tuner that I was able to receive anything. Sensitivity wasn't the issue -- it was multipath. If you can still tune analog, look for ghosting. If it's bad, that might be your problem, and you'll have to investigate what kind of chipset the Grandtec has and find out how well it deals with multipath.
post #468 of 602 Old 09-21-2008, 05:35 PM

I thought of the return thing and checked - apparently not possible, amazon assures me they do not sell pre-owned or refurbushed items (though independent sellers operating through thier site do, I bought this direct from amazon itself.)

Part of my problem is that having a Hd ready tv, if I want my broadcasts to be in real Hd, I need a set top box that dosn't automatically downconvert the signal to analog. Only two such models seem to remain on the market: the grandtec, and a samsung. The online reviews seem to favor the grandtec for releability.

Also, since I posted the first message I've looked up a few things: The Wbns/wcmh transmitter (one combined tower) is only 1-2 miles due north of me. Wosu's is up near polaris/westerville. The Wtte/Wsyx transmitter (one combined tower) is about 1-2 miles due SOUTH. WWHO's is way down in Wlliamsport. My apartmant is situated on a side of the building that faces north and a bit west. To check to see if this was the issue, I went to a friend of mine whose apartment is on the opposite side, who just got a proper HD tv (with tuner) a week or two ago. I took the terk down there (he has a really crappy antenna down there) and plugged it in and guess what? It got: Wsyx, Wtte, and WWho consistantly, Wcmh and wbns sometimes as I adjusted the controls on the antenna, and Wsfj on exactly one scan. This sort of thing used to be a big problem with the analog signal around here. I thought the new, more powerful, digital signals would do away with all that. Can any one recommend an indoor antenna for me that might be sensitve enough to compensate for this?

I also read on the net that many stations out there are still using thier "play" digital transmiters instead of thier permenent, full power ones, simply because thier parent companies haven't bothered to upgrade them yet. Any body know if Wtte/wsyx or WWho digital signal are on full power yet?

I arranged for a reletive who live nearby in a house rather than a concreate apartment building to let me try the tuner unit there. If it still it not pulling all local signals then I'll know it is a dud.
post #469 of 602 Old 09-22-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo_ii View Post

Can any one recommend an indoor antenna for me that might be sensitve enough to compensate for this?

I am up in the Polaris area and get all of the stations you mentioned except for WHHO with this antenna.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

I have it mounted in a closet on my second floor connecting to 2 HD tuner cards in a media server in my basement. My recordings are flawless 99% of the time.
post #470 of 602 Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 PM

I'm still working with my equipment. I think my problem is classic long-delay multi-path interference. I plugged that Turk directly in to my Tv socket and got that ghosting exactly the way the web guides say on analog wtte and WWho (not on WSYX strangly but that analog signal came in real strong). I'm trying to get amazon to accept a return on to tuner on that over-heating thing.

I can't find any info on the Grandtec's chipset but since thier web site claims that they "We built the first ATSC digital tuner available in the United States" I think it is a safe bet that it is an older one. However, on the only competing unit left on the market, the Samsung DTBH260F Terrestrial Receiver, I have seen something to the effect that it has a "5th generation" chipset. Is this likely to be enough to take care of my problem?
post #471 of 602 Old 10-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Anyone notice that programming on WCMH HD (NBC4) has had a hollow/tinny sound lately (say for a about a week now)? The problem is the same on both my boxes (TWC box connected with component and Dish box connected with HDMI).

post #472 of 602 Old 10-03-2008, 02:24 PM

WWHO (WB/Channels 53 & 746) was pulled off TWC at midnight last night by parent company LIN due to retransmission contract dispute.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/MidOh...ing/lintv.html

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6601678.html

post #473 of 602 Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Anyone notice that programming on WCMH HD (NBC4) has had a hollow/tinny sound lately (say for a about a week now)? The problem is the same on both my boxes (TWC box connected with component and Dish box connected with HDMI).

Yup, I hear it too. It sounds as if it's an echo with only a few ms of delay. Something like that. Annoying.
post #474 of 602 Old 10-04-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:

WWHO (WB/Channels 53 & 746) was pulled off TWC at midnight last night by parent company LIN due to retransmission contract dispute.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/MidOh...ing/lintv.html

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6601678.html

I just saw that. My friends from different states are having the same problem.
http://www.tellthetruthwluk.com/
http://thetruthhurtskxan.com/main.php

post #475 of 602 Old 10-05-2008, 11:45 AM

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6575703

post #476 of 602 Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Just give to everyone a heads up. The Big Ten Network moved to channel 58 which was The Travel Channel and that has been moved to channel 14.

post #477 of 602 Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 AM

TWC gave us 3 new channels last night, FoodHD, Animal Planet HD, Disney HD. If we get FXHD, i'm all set for every channel i watch.
post #478 of 602 Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM

TWC and LIN TV have reached a retransmission agreement that will return WWHO channel 53 back to central Ohio TWC subscribers, along with 15 other stations in various cities.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...?desc=topstory

post #479 of 602 Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesne View Post

TWC gave us 3 new channels last night, FoodHD, Animal Planet HD, Disney HD. If we get FXHD, i'm all set for every channel i watch.

You don't watch anything on USA or SciFi?

post #480 of 602 Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:

You don't watch anything on USA or SciFi?

Nope
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page