Columbus, OH - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 602 Old 08-30-2005, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ch 722 (if I remember correctly; I have the box unhooked because I'm moving)...dang, I miss hdcolumbus.org Did Jon fall off the face of the earth or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 602 Old 08-30-2005, 10:35 PM

yeah it is chan 722. I wish they would list programming.
post #93 of 602 Old 09-01-2005, 11:21 AM

I had tried in January to obtain a waiver for NBC, FOX, ABC, and CBS. They all had been denied because I was able to pick all of those stations up via an OTA. I guess we will have to wait until next year to receive local-HD in Columbus from Directv.

Is there any chance of HDColumbusorg coming back or is it done?
post #94 of 602 Old 09-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

abc.com states that the Ohio State vs. Texas game will be broadcast in HDTV.

In the HDTV programming forum posters are pessimistic as to whether the game will really be in HD as promised by ABC.com. Anyone here have any local connections with ABC or Ohio State that can verify?
post #95 of 602 Old 09-07-2005, 01:46 PM

Liked: 14
Somewhere further up in this thread, someone said that Fox and ABC broadcast from the same tower, which makes sense - same owner and whatnot.

So can some one tell me why I can get Fox's signal, no problem, but I can't bring in ABC?

I am very new to this. Just got my HDTV yesterday, hooked up some cheap ($17)RCA rabbit ears that the kid at BB recommended, and the TV picked up 28.1 and it tuned in perfectly without the slightest adjustment. But the TV acts as if 6.1 doesn't exist.

Any thoughts?

I just took my VT60 out of the box and started watching it. Is that ok?
post #96 of 602 Old 09-07-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc10forlife View Post

In the HDTV programming forum posters are pessimistic as to whether the game will really be in HD as promised by ABC.com. Anyone here have any local connections with ABC or Ohio State that can verify?

although i can't verify it, i would look at what happened last week as an example - the OSU game, broadcast at noon wasn't digital on 6.1, but the Notre Dame/Pitt game was when it was broadcast in the evening. As was the Miami/FSU game monday night. Boy, the picture quality of both of those games was fabulous. Although I'll be at the game, i hope i can return home and enjoy the replay from my DTV DVR...Go Bucks!
post #97 of 602 Old 09-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCriss View Post

So can some one tell me why I can get Fox's signal, no problem, but I can't bring in ABC?

It may be because you have a UHF antenna. ABC is the only local station that is VHF.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #98 of 602 Old 09-08-2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:

The game will not be in HD.
post #99 of 602 Old 09-09-2005, 10:13 AM

Quote:

abc.com states that the Ohio State vs. Texas game will be broadcast in HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeth View Post

OK, now who is correct ???
post #100 of 602 Old 09-09-2005, 11:34 AM

According to TitanTV Guide (on WSYX web site) the Buckeye game will NOT be in HD.
post #101 of 602 Old 09-09-2005, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

ABC's own website - the entertainment version found at ABC.com - is notorious for marking shows in HD that aren't. Tonight's Hurricane Katrina relief simulcast was marked as being in HD, when it won't be...and that's just one example.
post #102 of 602 Old 09-09-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardhowson View Post

OK, now who is correct ???

click on the "not" in my post to see the thread about the game NOT being in HD.
post #103 of 602 Old 09-11-2005, 11:39 AM

Anyone know why Fox is broadcasting its NFL games in HD and we get to see the Browns/Bengals game on CBS in SD?
post #104 of 602 Old 09-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

If you Google "nfl cbs sd hd", you'll see a lot of discussion about CBS's NFL HD coverage. My gripe is that besides not being HD, it's really poor quality SD.

post #105 of 602 Old 09-13-2005, 12:13 PM

Iwas watching Monday Night Football Sept 12 OTA WSYX. Part way through the game it switched from HD back to SD. Did other people notice this or is it my TV?
post #106 of 602 Old 09-13-2005, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Did anyone notice that FOX had alot of audio/video dropouts on Sunday afternoon? It reminded me of before they went to full power.

mikebaby
post #107 of 602 Old 09-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus8av View Post

Iwas watching Monday Night Football Sept 12 OTA WSYX. Part way through the game it switched from HD back to SD. Did other people notice this or is it my TV?

I've noticed that often, usually after it appears that they're having technical problems with the HD feed. I've just assumed they're reverting to SD until they can fix their problem.

post #108 of 602 Old 09-14-2005, 05:48 PM

I think it was the national feed and WSYX went ahead and gave the SD feed because of the constant flipping.

Live in Central Ohio and Have HD Questions? Come to www.hdcolumbus.net for answers!
post #109 of 602 Old 09-14-2005, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebaby View Post

Did anyone notice that FOX had alot of audio/video dropouts on Sunday afternoon? It reminded me of before they went to full power.

mikebaby

I've been noticing that as well--but not only the audio. The video feed seems to be chopping up every few minutes as well. I haven't had problems before a few weeks ago.

Live in Central Ohio and Have HD Questions? Come to www.hdcolumbus.net for answers!
post #110 of 602 Old 09-14-2005, 05:52 PM

Hey all, I've spoken with the admins over at hdcolumbus.org and they are hopeful that they will have the site operational soon. In the mean time, I've created another site that I hope will be used in conjunction /w hdcolumbus.org--either assisting them in getting the site back up, or simply used in lieu of the site while being down.

At any rate, the site is hdcolumbus.net; please feel free to provide feedback on the site. Additionally, I'm still adding some informational pieces, etc., so there will be some dust.

Hopefully it's not wrong for me to post this here--I just have come to rely on avsforum.com and hdcolumbus.net so much in my HD (mis)adventures that it sucks that one of the sites is not available.

post #111 of 602 Old 09-15-2005, 08:15 AM

We've been having problems with FOX recording using our HD DirecTiVo. We currently record two shows: Prison Break and Reunion. The shows have frequent (every couple of minutes or so) hiccups in the sound and video. We are in Chillicothe (about 50 miles south of Cbus). Our signal strength is really good, though, in the low 90s. Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas or suggestions on how to improve the situation? We don't have the problem recordning other HD programming.

Thanks,

Jon
post #112 of 602 Old 09-15-2005, 11:18 AM

Unfortunately, the problem appears to reside with WTTE. I receive their HD signal via cable from Insight and have had the same issues pretty much since WTTE provided an HD signal. I see the same problems occasionally on their sister station WSYX. I rarely see these issues with the CBS or NBC affiliates.
post #113 of 602 Old 09-15-2005, 02:56 PM

Hey,

Either TWC has forgotten to take-down Universal HD, or we have a new channel.

722 is still there.

*Crosses fingers*

I haven't read anything about Universal HD and TWC making a deal, but just in case - nobody call TWC and complain, OK

-Out-
-Smak Runner 2K-

XBox Live Gamertag: Smak Runner 2K

HD-61Z585 , DVD-2900 , TX-SR601B

The Holy Trinity
post #114 of 602 Old 09-16-2005, 11:00 PM

Almost every site I checked out from Google referenced this site.... so here I am.

I just bought a nice Toshiba 52" DLP HDTV; mainly for the soon-to-be-released XBOX 360 and DVDs. I can expect my video games and DVDs to look excellent, but I would also like a few channels to have HDTV quality since I just spent all this money on a new TV.

My Background:
I live on campus in family housing (Buckeye Village by University Center), and I'm basically in the center of all of Columbus' broadcast antennas, so I seriously doubt reception will be a problem. Living on campus, I have to use the shoddy OSU/WOW cable service with no HD available. OSU will not allow the use of outdoor dishes or antennas. My TV will arrive next week, but it doesn't have a built in HDTV tuner or cable card slot.

My Question:
I want everything ready to go when my TV arrives next week. Can somebody point me in the right direction of what to buy so I can pickup "GOOD" local HDTV reception? I need advice on a good indoor antenna and HDTV tuner box for a bargain price. I'm running low on funds.

Thanks,
Blake
post #115 of 602 Old 09-17-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidt View Post

We've been having problems with FOX recording using our HD DirecTiVo. We currently record two shows: Prison Break and Reunion. The shows have frequent (every couple of minutes or so) hiccups in the sound and video. We are in Chillicothe (about 50 miles south of Cbus). Our signal strength is really good, though, in the low 90s. Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas or suggestions on how to improve the situation? We don't have the problem recordning other HD programming.

Thanks,

Jon

i have the same problem - with all fox shows i've recorded with my hd dtvo... i seem to have it also on nbc on thursday nights ...i live in polaris area...
post #116 of 602 Old 09-17-2005, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUblake View Post

Almost every site I checked out from Google referenced this site.... so here I am.

I just bought a nice Toshiba 52" DLP HDTV; mainly for the soon-to-be-released XBOX 360 and DVDs. I can expect my video games and DVDs to look excellent, but I would also like a few channels to have HDTV quality since I just spent all this money on a new TV.

My Background:
I live on campus in family housing (Buckeye Village by University Center), and I'm basically in the center of all of Columbus' broadcast antennas, so I seriously doubt reception will be a problem. Living on campus, I have to use the shoddy OSU/WOW cable service with no HD available. OSU will not allow the use of outdoor dishes or antennas. My TV will arrive next week, but it doesn't not have a built in HDTV tuner or cable card slot.

My Question:
I want everything ready to go when my TV arrives next week. Can somebody point me in the right direction of what to buy so I can pickup "GOOD" local HDTV reception? I need advice on a good indoor antenna and HDTV tuner box for a bargain price. I'm running low on funds.

Thanks,
Blake

go to antennaweb.org, put in your address and you should be able to see which type of antenna you'll need. since you're in community housing, you'll need a set-top antenna which won't give you as good reception as to having an outdoor antenna. good luck.
post #117 of 602 Old 09-18-2005, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUblake View Post

My Background:
I live on campus in family housing (Buckeye Village by University Center), and I'm basically in the center of all of Columbus' broadcast antennas, so I seriously doubt reception will be a problem. Living on campus, I have to use the shoddy OSU/WOW cable service with no HD available. OSU will not allow the use of outdoor dishes or antennas. My TV will arrive next week, but it doesn't not have a built in HDTV tuner or cable card slot.

My Question:

Thanks,
Blake

radio shack has a HDTV tuner for under $100 on clearance. See if they have one in your area.
post #118 of 602 Old 09-18-2005, 03:08 PM

Liked: 13
Cool! I found Shaun's (NBC4ENG) e-mail address and sent him a message asking him to join us at your site. Don't recall if there were any engineers from any other stations that posted or not.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post

Hey all, I've spoken with the admins over at hdcolumbus.org and they are hopeful that they will have the site operational soon. In the mean time, I've created another site that I hope will be used in conjunction /w hdcolumbus.org--either assisting them in getting the site back up, or simply used in lieu of the site while being down.

At any rate, the site is hdcolumbus.net; please feel free to provide feedback on the site. Additionally, I'm still adding some informational pieces, etc., so there will be some dust.

Hopefully it's not wrong for me to post this here--I just have come to rely on avsforum.com and hdcolumbus.net so much in my HD (mis)adventures that it sucks that one of the sites is not available.

post #119 of 602 Old 09-18-2005, 06:08 PM

Liked: 13
I've noticed over the last few days that UPN53 (WWHO) seems to be broadcasting SD on their HD channel. Has anyone seen any HD programming on that channel in the last week or so? Both the premier of Supernatural, as well as LOTR: The Two Towers, were in SD.

Thanks,
Joe
post #120 of 602 Old 09-21-2005, 09:35 AM

To bad Time Warner finally had to pull the plug on Universal HD. Last night it wasn't even in the program guide. Monday the channel was listed but didn't show anything and I think I was able to watch stuff on Saturday (but I can't quite remember). Hopefully TWC will get it in its lineup in the future.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page