Signal is great here in Wintersville Ohio 99%

Tom
post #274 of 1954 Old 04-19-2006, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I gotta run upstairs and see if I get anything!
post #275 of 1954 Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, here's an oddity.

I got enough of a lock to get 27-1 and 27-2.

The PSIP program info is totally wrong, unless WKBN decided to bolt CBS for NBC and show Jay Leno! And I'm not getting any video or audio on 27-1, but AM getting 27-2, the SD feed of WYFX. Furthermore, the signal is around 50 percent or less, but 27-2 is not breaking up...

Odd!

Anyway, it appears I may be able to get this to work, even if I have to tweak antenna placement or something. Woo hoo!

Oh, I just saw the FOX 17/62 logo, so it's definitely WKBN-DT...
post #276 of 1954 Old 04-19-2006, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I am now also getting 27-1 with HD David Letterman. (I assume it's HD, it's at least widescreen, but I'm pushing it into my little Samsung 13" set via composite video.)

No breakup there, either, despite what would appear to be a 50% or less signal on my OTA box.
post #277 of 1954 Old 04-19-2006, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WKBN-DT is booming into Canton! 27-1 has a crisp, clean HD picture, 27-2 looks a little blurry but maybe it was mainly due to the program being shown when I first spotted them broadcasting around midnight. Glad to have another CBS alternative since 19-1 from Cleveland can be a little problematic at times.
post #278 of 1954 Old 04-19-2006, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone who cares, I'm in the northwest part of Akron, just up the hill from the Merriman Valley. And WKBN-DT continues to be locked in solid with what looks to be a clean picture - well, as much as you can tell on a 13" SD set being fed composite video from a digital box.

However, 27-1 looks like it's gone away, with a black screen. It looks to me like they just fed the CBS HD digital feed directly into the system, and since CBS isn't feeding HD after Letterman...it's black. (I noticed no local commercials or IDs during Letterman.) WYFX continues uninterrupted on 27-2 and looks fine.
post #279 of 1954 Old 04-19-2006, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, sure enough, I was right...27-1 is now lit up with color bars and the legend "NEW YORK TX HD".
post #280 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The program guide data for WKBN said KARE 11 news...
and the one for WYFX was PBS related...
27-1 currently showing "Loss of Input Signal"...
post #281 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 05:08 AM

Ok.. So there is 27, 27.1 (Digital 27), and 27.2 (SD 27)? So is all the same programming on those three channels all the time?
post #282 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 08:38 AM

A few notes and questions for everyone. Just joined and read the board, live in Jefferson Township off of 62 right past the Hermitage line. I get WFMJ at about 90% signal, WYTV at about 60% and WNEO at about 80%, still waiting on WKBN to go live.

I'm using an old attic antenna that works rather well for the signals I mentioned above, but I can't pick up any Pittsburgh stations. Anyone have any suggestions for a secondary antenna, either indoor or outdoor, that works well for them? I noticed some of the people here are in the Sharon/Hermitage area and can pick up Pittsburgh and Cleveland. If anyone's willing to help, please let me know!

As for Adelphia, if you get your Adelphia cable from the Hermitage office, look for them to go Comcast in the near future. They were non-commital when I asked in the office, but I just completed a series of ads and when we approached Adelphia regarding run times on specific channels, they directed us to the Comcast office in Pittsburgh, and that's who we wrote our checks to.

Thanks for the help in advance and look forward to keeping in touch with people and learning on here.
post #283 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 08:55 AM

How do you know the % you are getting?

Also, how would you use more then one antenna?
post #284 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 10:06 AM

My HD Off-Air tuner gives me a signal strength, that's what I'm basing the numbers off of. At the moment (1:05 pm Thursday) I have a 40% signal with a lot of breakup of WYTV but 90% of WFMJ and 80% WNEO.

As for using two antennas, when I lived in New York, I had two antennas connected to a splitter/combiner which worked rather well. I'm willing to go to just one antenna, but if I have one that can be used for Youngstown and other for Pittsburgh, that would be ideal. Less rotation and fine tuning.
post #285 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero69 View Post

A few notes and questions for everyone. Just joined and read the board, live in Jefferson Township off of 62 right past the Hermitage line. I get WFMJ at about 90% signal, WYTV at about 60% and WNEO at about 80%, still waiting on WKBN to go live.

I'm using an old attic antenna that works rather well for the signals I mentioned above, but I can't pick up any Pittsburgh stations. Anyone have any suggestions for a secondary antenna, either indoor or outdoor, that works well for them? I noticed some of the people here are in the Sharon/Hermitage area and can pick up Pittsburgh and Cleveland. If anyone's willing to help, please let me know!

As for Adelphia, if you get your Adelphia cable from the Hermitage office, look for them to go Comcast in the near future. They were non-commital when I asked in the office, but I just completed a series of ads and when we approached Adelphia regarding run times on specific channels, they directed us to the Comcast office in Pittsburgh, and that's who we wrote our checks to.

Thanks for the help in advance and look forward to keeping in touch with people and learning on here.

A few thoughts:

I too went into the local Adelphia office(my cable comes from Hermitage as well. At least that is where I send my checks and my cable line-up is out of there).

Anywho, when I went into the office(about a week and a half ago) I was told that it was 95% that they were going to be Time Warner Cable. Again, this out of the office in Hermitage/Sharon(Zip code 16148).

Now if you went to Time Warner's website and typed in zip code 16148, they give a choice of 3 channel lineups. I believe they were out of Fredonia/Lackawannock-Jefferson Twp/Greenville. The differences between the three was small: I think the Fedonia/Greenville lineups HAD WPGH 53/FOX out of Pittsburgh while the other one doesn't. Lack-Jeff twp lineup contained WGN in it's BASIC lineup. It contained only WYFX out of Ytown, and no WPGH out of the Burgh(which stinks. Hopefully I'll get both for football season purposes.

The same thing occurs for zip code 16142(New Wilmington), and 16105(New Castle) on the Time Warner Website.

Now here is something funny. Go to Comcasts website. Type in Hermitage zip code(16148)/Sharon(16146)/West Middlesex(16159)/Pulaski(16143) at the Comcast site and you get NOTHING. Type in one of New Castles zip codes(16105 to be exact) and you get a channel listing for Mahoning Twp, PA. Type in the Zip Code for New Wilmington(16142), and you get some info, but no channel lineup info like when typing in 16105 for New Castle.

So my "GUESS" on the subject is this. The New Castle/New Wilmington Adelphia office MIGHT BE the cutoff for who gets Comcast, and the Hermitage/Sharon office might be the ones who get Time Warner. It depends on who/where you send your check too every month. Mine is to the Sharon/Hermitage office, so I am probably getting Time Warner. The person I spoke too at the Hermitage office seemed, again, about 95% sure they were going over too Time Warner.

My investigating the subject seems to point in that direction, while the people who live more near New Castle are going to Comcast, but that could be wrong too.(Type in New Wilmington's/New castle[16105 only] Zip code for local channel lineup on Time Warners site, and get a complete channel listing for both.)

They may have just payed you through the Hermitage office.

Now with regards to your antenna. You don't live all that far from me. I am using a cruddy amp'd indoor antenna and get all the local digital stations(I have yet to try WKBN yet though. I will try later tonight), PLUS I get KDKA-CBS/WPGH-FOX/WPXI-NBC out of the Burgh. KDKA comes in the best. WPGH and WPXI do have breakups(especially during the day) occasionally. I am sure if I had a big attic antenna/outside antenna(maybe you just need an Amp?) I would get those stations with NO breakups. The higher you can get it, the better. Also aim will help too. Go too www.antennaweb.org Type in your complete address, and this should give you an idea of what you can get.(MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THE LOCAL CHANNEL MAP MAKEUP THEY PROVIDE. YOU CAN ADJUST THE LOCATION FOR A MORE "ACCURATE" IDEA OF WHERE YOU ARE. I TYPE IN MY ADDRESS, AND IT HAS ME DOWN THE ROAD. NOT WHERE I AM SUPPOSED TO BE. I CLICK ON IT, MOVE MY LOCATION TO WHERE I SHOULD BE, AND GET MY LINEUP/LINE OF SIGHT DIRECTION ACCURATELY)

I am using an LG LST-4200A HDTV tuner and an RCA AMP'd indoor antenna from WalMart.

What is your configuration.
post #286 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 11:19 AM

Thanks SteelersRule, yeah the whole Comcast/TimeWarner thing is funny because Comcast really wanted the entire Pittsburgh market and TimeWarner is as close to us as Mercer and Trumbull County Ohio, so I still say a toss up, but our corporate account went to Comcast. That also could be a temporary thing, because the terms of the deal said that Adelphia would be split between the two, and then the two would trade exisiting franchises to create more "complete markets". It'll be interesting regardless.

My configuration, I have an old yagi antenna in the roof that was there when we got the house. I have a JVC HDTV and I upgraded my Adelphia cable to HD once they picked up WFMJ and WYTV. My set-top box is a Humax HFA100 which really performs well for me, others have had complaints.

I'm fairly certain my problem is the antenna. First off, it is in an attic so I don't expect the reception to be all that great. It was tipped over in the attic when we moved in, and the rotor wire had been ripped right out of the rotor. Also, in the previous owner's wisdom, they had ripped the coaxial cables off of the antenna to reuse when they installed cable in the house. I got it back up, aimed it at Youngstown, bought a brand new 75 ohm transformer (couldn't find the old one and guessed at the thumb screws) and surprisingly, with no preamp or amp, I picked up WFMJ and WNEO digital signals with no problem. Like I said, the only one that consistantly hates me is WYTV, which from about noon to now (2 pm) I've got down to 10% signal, which is almost no picture or audio. I've looked at a few different indoor amplified antennas, just haven't made a purchase until I learned a little more. Obviously a smaller indoor one would be ideal, but I know that I'm around 60 miles from Pittsburgh so that's probably unrealistic. Anyone have any guesses at good amps (preamps or plain amps) that would be good or a decent indoor antenna? I've heard good things about the Terk TV5, but I'm rather open to suggestions.

Antennaweb is a nice site, but it tells me I'll have a hard time getting WNEO which comes in fairly good depending on weather. My recommendation is Large Directional with a Pre-Amp for almost all the stations. It had me in the wrong place as well when I first used it, so I had to make up some numbers before I hit my approximate location.
post #287 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

Looks like DTV 41 has lit up...
WKBN-HD.... and WYFX-SD...

Ed...

I got no new channels?
post #288 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird2340 View Post

I got no new channels?

WKBN-DT is apparently off again this afternoon, presumably so they can do some more work on it. It'll probably go back on again later, and off again, etc., until they complete the work. Consider this period "testing".

For me, I left the OTA receiver on 27-2 last night (WYFX SD). When I got back down here this morning, the picture was frozen on "People's Court", which I'd assume happened in its 9 AM hour (and not the later airing, since that's right now)...that'd make sense when you consider that 9 AM is the start of a business day.

There are still some things to fix. For one, it doesn't appear that they were feeding WKBN's own non-HD programming to 27-1 last night...they just had CBS' HD feed going straight into the transmitter. For another, the PSIP info still had the programming of an NBC affiliate last night on 27-1 (apparently KARE/Minneapolis)!

So, hang in there, it's coming.

MisterZero - if you're getting WFMJ-DT at 90% or so, you'll likely get a full signal out of WKBN-DT.
post #289 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My configuration, I have an old yagi antenna in the roof that was there when we got the house. I have a JVC HDTV and I upgraded my Adelphia cable to HD once they picked up WFMJ and WYTV. My set-top box is a Humax HFA100 which really performs well for me, others have had complaints.

I'm fairly certain my problem is the antenna. First off, it is in an attic so I don't expect the reception to be all that great. It was tipped over in the attic when we moved in, and the rotor wire had been ripped right out of the rotor. Also, in the previous owner's wisdom, they had ripped the coaxial cables off of the antenna to reuse when they installed cable in the house. I got it back up, aimed it at Youngstown, bought a brand new 75 ohm transformer (couldn't find the old one and guessed at the thumb screws) and surprisingly, with no preamp or amp, I picked up WFMJ and WNEO digital signals with no problem. Like I said, the only one that consistantly hates me is WYTV, which from about noon to now (2 pm) I've got down to 10% signal, which is almost no picture or audio. I've looked at a few different indoor amplified antennas, just haven't made a purchase until I learned a little more. Obviously a smaller indoor one would be ideal, but I know that I'm around 60 miles from Pittsburgh so that's probably unrealistic. Anyone have any guesses at good amps (preamps or plain amps) that would be good or a decent indoor antenna? I've heard good things about the Terk TV5, but I'm rather open to suggestions.

Antennaweb is a nice site, but it tells me I'll have a hard time getting WNEO which comes in fairly good depending on weather. My recommendation is Large Directional with a Pre-Amp for almost all the stations. It had me in the wrong place as well when I first used it, so I had to make up some numbers before I hit my approximate location.

For starters:

Anntennaweb is a good website to "BEGIN" to get an idea of what you might need. It is a good starting point for anyone, but it is not the "BOTTOM LINE" on what your reception is going to be.

You are doing the best thing to find out. Coming to your Local HDTV thread and finding out what other people have around you, and what they are doing to get digital/HD in their area. The best resource is the people near/around you.

Now, I am about 49-53 miles from the Burgh stations I receive OTA(KDKA/CBS, WPXI/NBC, and WPGH/FOX have their antenna's located on the North side of Pittsurgh. Hence PARTLY the reason I can get them with my set-up. I can actually get a signal(not enough to get a lock) on the WB out of the Burgh. Once WKBN is up and running, this should give me a lock. Hopefully they will run more tests tonight. I will try during primetime and later.

I think you should check your connections too make sure they are solid good connections. Second, I would connect an amp(get one at a place where you can easily return it. 30 day return is normal with original receipt/box at a place like Radio Shack if it doesn't help. Good place to start.)

I would try this first since you have the antenna in the attic to begin with before fiddling with an indoor. I don't think an indoor would help you with the Burgh stations at 60 miles away, but I could be wrong. Digital is funny. Topography/local environment plays a big part in reception as well.

Radio Shack sells a highly reccommended Indoor amplified antenna. It's model number is 15-1880 or something. Most who have it, love it. Retails for $49.99+tax

I would stay away from TERK ANTENNA'S. Overpriced pieces of SH#T to most people.

My reception, I should say, is also based on my tuner, the LG LST-4200A. It has been FANATASIC since I got it. It also has QAM tuning, so I get the clear QAM HD/digital stations through Adelphia(Since I live in between both New Wilmington/New Castle and Sharon/Hermitage offices, I get KDKA/WPXI/WQED/WFMJ/CBWB/WYFX/WTAE on my Clear QAM HD/digital. I also get FOX SPORTS HD when the Penguins, and now Pirate games, are broadcast in HD as well through the Clear QAM.

Does your JVC have a built-in tuner? Or is it just a HDTV Monitor?

If it has a built in tuner, it might have QAM capabilities. Look in the manual. But most likely it just may have OTA ATSC tuner.

If it has a digital tuner, try plugging you cable directly into the TV and run a channel scan. Food for thought.
post #290 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 02:46 PM

All reception is funny, not just digital. When I was living in New York, I lived in a valley among the mountains roughly 45 miles from Albany yet I got their reception crystal clear with nothing more than the rabbit ears that came with an old TV. Here, I get WFMJ (I live about 20 miles from their broadcast tower) with no problem yet WYTV is never clear. Go figure.

As for my equipment, my JVC is an HDTV capable but doesn't have a digital tuner. I can hook the antenna directly to it, but it only tunes to analog channels. Not a big deal to me because I have the set top box connected to it via a HDMI cable and the picture is great. It has both a channel scan and a manual add. Last night, I picked up the signal of WKBN, but as everyone's been saying they're off air right now. I have the HD package through Adelphia, so I have a seperate box for my cable, the Off Air antenna is just something I'm dabbling in just to see how it all works.

I'm probably going to look into first an amplifier for my attic antenna. I remember quite a few years ago living in Sharpsville and being able to pick up the Pittsburgh stations via an antenna in the time before cable, so I'd assume I should be able to get a signal of some sort.

Like I said, I have cable, but the HD Off Air thing is something I'd like to play around with, see if I can learn a little and get some good shows at the same time.
post #291 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

A WKBN-DT signal has been bouncing in and out here since about 7 PM or so. Not enough to lock on...and not as steady as last night.
post #292 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

I'd put my money on 43 getting the CW network. 55 will go back to being a "family oriented" station.

I read that 55 is going to be the new CW affiliate in Cleveland. (channel 55 is one of the highest rated WB stations in the country, who would have thought?) I guess 43 is going back independant?
post #293 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

A WKBN-DT signal has been bouncing in and out here since about 7 PM or so. Not enough to lock on...and not as steady as last night.

As of about 8:45PM tonight, I was not able to get anything from WKBN-DT. I will check again later tonight.
post #294 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

As of 9:15PM, my WKBN signal(I screwed up in my above post stating it was 42-1 for WKBN. WRONG!!! It is actually 41-1. My bad. I'll fix it.) was coming in and out as well. Considering I get all of my other stations locked in from the Ytown area, they must be fiddling with it.
post #295 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad the rest of you are not getting a solid signal out of WKBN-DT...it must mean it's not at full power like it was last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark8777 View Post

I read that 55 is going to be the new CW affiliate in Cleveland. (channel 55 is one of the highest rated WB stations in the country, who would have thought?) I guess 43 is going back independant?

Did you grab an old, old quote?

WBNX/55 will indeed be the CW Network affiliate locally. WUAB/43 will take My Network TV in the fall.
post #296 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

I'm glad the rest of you are not getting a solid signal out of WKBN-DT...it must mean it's not at full power like it was last night.

Did you grab an old, old quote?

WBNX/55 will indeed be the CW Network affiliate locally. WUAB/43 will take My Network TV in the fall.

Yeah, sorry if I missed the answer before, but thanks for the answer.
post #297 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark8777 View Post

Yeah, sorry if I missed the answer before, but thanks for the answer.

The question - when will WBNX-DT go up? They are still hoping for sometime this summer, but the CP hasn't yet been approved.

And since I forgot I was in the Youngstown thread - of course, WFMJ-DT's 21.2, otherwise known as "WBCB", will be the CW Network affiliate in the Fall. My Network TV hasn't announced a Youngstown outlet, but I wouldn't be surprised if no one picks it up...there hasn't ever been a UPN outlet in Youngstown.
post #298 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 07:16 PM

10:13 pm, WKBN is broadcasting in HD and I've got a nice strong signal here on the outskirts of Hermitage.

Picked up a 12 dB amplifier and I can pull in WYTV fairly well with it, still no Pittsburgh or Cleveland stations, but I was getting some Erie stations in analog, just not digital. Crazy.

The WYFX signal on 27-2 (41.2) is cleaner and clearer than on my Adelphia cable.
post #299 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Update: on a whim, I opened up my window, moved my indoor antenna and I'm getting WKBN-DT again, with about the same signal level as last night. I don't know if they adjusted the power up or what, but it's fine right now.

Tonight, they're running the main WKBN analog feed upconverted to 27-1...which they weren't doing last night. Maybe they flip the power back up to full power when they go home for the night?
post #300 of 1954 Old 04-20-2006, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Picked up a 12 dB amplifier and I can pull in WYTV fairly well with it, still no Pittsburgh or Cleveland stations, but I was getting some Erie stations in analog, just not digital. Crazy.

I believe most, if not all, of the Erie DT stations that are up are broadcasting at very low power. You'd be lucky to get them in ERIE, let alone Hermitage!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page