Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 1954 Old 08-19-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
TV21Chief,

I don't know if this has been addressed or not, but over the past couple of months(probably longer) I no longer get WFMJ's digital subchannel of WBCB on Adelphia/Time Warner.

One day, it was there, then GONE. I still get WFMJ and WYTV just fine(also, anyone know if the dummies at the local cable company are going to ADD WKBN/WYFX anytime soon for the local masses over CLEAR QAM?), but your subchannel of WBCB was taken away for some reason. I don't understand why.

I can still get it OTA with no problem, but I wjust wondered why they took it away at all.

I also get Pittsburgh's digtal channels as well. Always have.

I am not talking about KDKA/CBS, and WQED/PBS, since they are listed in that channel lineup from Time Warner for the area, but I also get WPXI/NBC, and WTAE/ABC in the clear as well.

Not that I care.

I just wish they would add WKBN/WYFX, plus give me back WBCB(soon to be the CW), and add WUAB(soon to be MYTV).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1954 Old 08-20-2006, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CBS is broadcasting the PGA Championship in 1080i. I noticed that today (and Saturday) that WKBN was broadcasting a low-res 4:3 signal. Is that normal?
post #483 of 1954 Old 08-20-2006, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeet View Post

CBS is broadcasting the PGA Championship in 1080i. I noticed that today (and Saturday) that WKBN was broadcasting a low-res 4:3 signal. Is that normal?

WOIO in Cleveland is broadcasting the PGA in HDTV. Maybe there is a problem with WKBN or someone is asleep at the switch.

Tony
post #484 of 1954 Old 08-20-2006, 12:51 PM

I called the station and couldn't get a live voice... So I faxed (1:45pm) them and asked that they check the feed. Nothing yet.
post #485 of 1954 Old 08-20-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiScott View Post

Hey I have another ? Will WBCB be getting their own website? If so I think they need a board or blog where fans can reply to the station. A lot of the other WB networks have their own websites.

We are overhauling our entire web presence for both stations right now. There will be a separate WBCB web page. I'm not in charge of that, but I believe it's due at the end of the month. I'm sure there will be a link so you can tell us how great we're doing.

I've been told www.wbcb.tv will launch October 1.
post #486 of 1954 Old 08-20-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

TV21Chief,

I don't know if this has been addressed or not, but over the past couple of months(probably longer) I no longer get WFMJ's digital subchannel of WBCB on Adelphia/Time Warner.

It all has to do with what market you're county is attached to and the significant viewing rules. Lawrence County is in the Pittsburgh DMA. So, to have WBCB on Adelphia in Lawrence County we would have to be significantly viewed in that county. It's a long complicated process to do it and at this point since it's only a couple years old we'd probably lose. Several years ago, Youngstown lost Lawrence County to Pittsburgh and it hurt us by lowering our market position. We have constant battles with Pittsburgh over Columbiana County and Cleveland over Trumbull county.

Regarding the TV Guide issue, I've made the appropriate people at the station aware of the issue. We thought it was fixed after being on ay year, but I guess not.
post #487 of 1954 Old 08-20-2006, 06:45 PM

The new wfmj.com will launch next Monday right? That is what the pop up ad says at wfmj.com. Do you know if it will at least stream weather plus 24/7? I know wkyc in Cleveland does and that would be perfect for a local station to have that feature. Being a skywarn weather watcher, we need some form of local weather 24/7 BTW will this be an inhouse job or out soursed?
post #488 of 1954 Old 08-21-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

The new wfmj.com will launch next Monday right? That is what the pop up ad says at wfmj.com. Do you know if it will at least stream weather plus 24/7? I know wkyc in Cleveland does and that would be perfect for a local station to have that feature. Being a skywarn weather watcher, we need some form of local weather 24/7 BTW will this be an inhouse job or out soursed?

Like I said, I'm not in charge of the web other than making sure we get video into the streaming encoder. I know we won't be streaming Wx + right off. We're doing a tremendous amount of streaming, for us at least, and it's a lot of new work with a lot of bugs to be worked out.
post #489 of 1954 Old 08-21-2006, 01:02 PM

They say no news is good news, but I have to ask anyway. There have been a lot of complaints about SNF on NBC over in the programming forum. I'm asking anyone that may have watched any of the games on WFMJ-DT if you saw any blurring or blocking. There is some graininess that crops up in the background of fast moving shots, but no where near what I saw in screen caps over in that forum. Thanks in advance.
post #490 of 1954 Old 08-21-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was watching WKBN-DT last night (Sunday 8/21) at 10:59 PM the CBS HD feed suddenly switched over to SD 4X9 before the program was over (there was about a 3 minute delay in network programming last night on CBS). I presume there is an automatic switchover to SD for the 11 PM news.

Is there any way to override this feature when CBS programming is airing beyond 11PM?

Thanks

p.s. I'm still seeing some strobing on CBS HD programming.
post #491 of 1954 Old 08-22-2006, 03:02 PM

When I watched the Games on NBC, I did notice a little graininess and some blurring but it was not that bad. But in the future I will keep a look out for problems. I noticed that both OTA and on cable Oprah and Inside Edition seems like it looks fuzzy and a little blurred/snowy, and it just does not to match up as compaired to Dr. Phill or Ellen or Judge Judy.It is kind of hard to explain but going from Dr.Phill to Oprah it looks different as does going from the NBC nightly news into Inside Edition. I am not a regular viewer of Oprah or Inside Edition so I cannot explain if this is normal but NBC programs like My name is Earl, The office and Law & Order CI look great and are perfect but Oprah and Inside Edition just seem off.
post #492 of 1954 Old 08-22-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

When I watched the Games on NBC, I did notice a little graininess and some blurring but it was not that bad. But in the future I will keep a look out for problems. I noticed that both OTA and on cable Oprah and Inside Edition seems like it looks fuzzy and a little blurred/snowy, and it just does not to match up as compaired to Dr. Phill or Ellen or Judge Judy.It is kind of hard to explain but going from Dr.Phill to Oprah it looks different as does going from the NBC nightly news into Inside Edition. I am not a regular viewer of Oprah or Inside Edition so I cannot explain if this is normal but NBC programs like My name is Earl, The office and Law & Order CI look great and are perfect but Oprah and Inside Edition just seem off.

Thanks. Dr. Phil comes straight through a digital system right onto our playout server as an MPEG stream. The other shows you mentioned are analog feeds and they are softer.
post #493 of 1954 Old 08-22-2006, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
TV21Chief,

Thanks for your response to my question.

I actually live in Mercer County, and my local cable comes out of Sharon/Hermitage, PA. My local channel lineup comes from there, and also my bills are sent to that office.

My local analog line contains WBCB on channel 17 with Adelphia/Time Warner, and not WPMY out of the Burgh. Strange.

I must live on some sort of fault line with the cable gurus I guess.

I remember a few years ago when I was looking into DirecTV, that my zip code(16143 Pulaski, PA) was the LAST available zip code to be able to get Pittsburgh locals through DirecTV.

Next town over, West Middlesex, were not, and at the time since Ytown stations were not offered you were SOL, and would be forced to use an antenna, or get the feeds from New York/Chicago/LA/etc...

I don't know the way it is now though. I think that with DirecTV, using my zip code allows me to get locals from Pittsburgh.

But with Dish, using the same zip code get's me the local's out of YTown, and not the Burgh.

Weird. Like I said, I must live on some imaginary line that get's things mixed up with cable, satellite, etc....

How long before we get Verizon FIOS?

My guess is 2020, and by then I will most likely have moved or not care.
post #494 of 1954 Old 08-23-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

I was watching WKBN-DT last night (Sunday 8/21) at 10:59 PM the CBS HD feed suddenly switched over to SD 4X9 before the program was over (there was about a 3 minute delay in network programming last night on CBS). I presume there is an automatic switchover to SD for the 11 PM news.

Is there any way to override this feature when CBS programming is airing beyond 11PM?

Thanks

p.s. I'm still seeing some strobing on CBS HD programming.

The "switch over" that you described is a manual process done just before our local news is to air. So don't worry about network programming running past 11:00 PM; you'll get to see it all in HD sans a minute or so.

As for the strobing on HD, the timing of your question is coincidental. I (finally) loaded new firmware in the HD encoder yesterday afternoon (8/22) so let me know if you see it now.

Thomas A. Zocolo
Chief Engineer
WKBN-TV 27.1 / WYFX-LP 62 & 27.2
WYTV 33.1 / MyYTV 33.2
Youngstown, Ohio
post #495 of 1954 Old 08-23-2006, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKBN Chief View Post

The "switch over" that you described is a manual process done just before our local news is to air. So don't worry about network programming running past 11:00 PM; you'll get to see it all in HD sans a minute or so.

As for the strobing on HD, the timing of your question is coincidental. I (finally) loaded new firmware in the HD encoder yesterday afternoon (8/22) so let me know if you see it now.

Thanks Tom. I will be on the lookout for strobing.

You might want to mention to whoever is doing the manual switchover before the 11 PM news to wait for the last scene of the HD program to end.

This seems to be a problem with every local station (exept for the two with HD news). They always seem to "glitch the credits" at 10:59. Why can't they wait for the network feed to end? WEWS used to have a different problem - they would not switch in time. I saw the begining of the 8:00 PM PST time zone feed when the analog channel had the start of the news.
post #496 of 1954 Old 08-23-2006, 02:53 PM

Ok I have another little question this time. WIll the new CW WBCB change its call sign? And will it be in HD?

Teenager CW / WB Lover
post #497 of 1954 Old 08-24-2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Ok I have another little question this time. WIll the new CW WBCB change its call sign? And will it be in HD?

Same callsign, no HD for now.
post #498 of 1954 Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 AM

Thanks so tonight at 9pm on the WBCB what episode of Supernatural is playing? On the yahoo tv gudie for wbcb it sayd Somethings Wicked and last week the wb.com said it was skin but wbcb played the benders

Teenager CW / WB Lover
post #499 of 1954 Old 08-24-2006, 02:04 PM

The listings from the WB would be correct since the listings from Yahoo, Zap2it,TVguide,Titan TV are collected two weeks ago from a 3rd party. The WB did make changes to their lineup in the reruns they aired due to the fact of the start of the new CW. The WB shows like Supernatural, Smallville,Gillmore Girls, One Tree Hill, and 7th Heaven and the UPN shows like Girlfriends, One on One, Everbody Hates Chris, and Veronica Mars will air their last season finales over two weeks so the network can build more hype and viewers at the launch at the end of September. Smallville,Gillmore Girls, and 7th Heaven's current season will have been played out by the time it reaches reruns on ABC Family next month since they have been played at least 3 times since their orginal network run.

Errors with internet listings based on Youngstown-area broadcast:
Yahoo TV: no listings for WKBN-DT on ch 41 yet lists WYFX as being DT 41
TV Guide: Does not list WYFX as being a sub channel of WKBN-DT yet lists WYFX as having its own Digital signal on ch 62.
Titan TV: lists WYTV as running reruns of Friends at 5:30 PM yet Friends moved to WBCB in June.
Zap2it: the best out there with few errors.
I contacted Titan TV about the incorrect listings and they told me that the stations can have errors corrected and that they collect data (listings from a 3rd party source).

None of these listing services list WYTV's new sub-channel MY-ytv as of this afternoon.
post #500 of 1954 Old 08-26-2006, 03:12 PM

Will the WBCB play the CW Preview that Jared Padalecki is hosting that shows all preiviews of the cw shows?

Teenager CW / WB Lover
post #501 of 1954 Old 08-26-2006, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21CHIEF View Post

Same callsign, no HD for now.

And of course, "WBCB" really isn't a call sign, but a name...the official callsign is WFMJ-DT.

Are you folks planning an HD cable feed like WKBN/WYFX is doing for FOX 17/62?
post #502 of 1954 Old 08-26-2006, 06:39 PM

That is the same question I have? Will WBCB play it and if so when? All the other cw stations are playing it and over the next two weeks it is not listed. I know with the wb the 2 part (women & men) fall preview aired at least 3 times.
post #503 of 1954 Old 08-27-2006, 03:12 PM

Anyone know yet?

Teenager CW / WB Lover
post #504 of 1954 Old 08-27-2006, 06:37 PM

The CW Fall Preview Show on WFMJ

Monday, September 11, 2006
12:30-1:00 p.m.

Saturday, September 16, 2006
7:00-7:30 p.m.

The CW Fall Preview Show on WBCB

Wednesday, August 30, 2006
5:30-6:00 p.m.

Saturday, September 2, 2006
7:00-7:30 p.m.

Sunday, September 10, 2006
10:30-11:00 p.m.

Thursday, September 14, 2006
7:30-8:00 p.m.

Sunday, September 17, 2006
11:00-11:30 p.m. (pre-empts "Girlfriends")
post #505 of 1954 Old 08-28-2006, 09:11 AM

thanks will all these preview dates be the same show like nothing new to it?? They are just re airing them?

Teenager CW / WB Lover
post #506 of 1954 Old 08-28-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:

thanks will all these preview dates be the same show like nothing new to it?? They are just re airing them?

yes. All the same I believe.
post #507 of 1954 Old 08-28-2006, 12:22 PM

ok thanks very much! I can't wait for the CW! There website though sucks.

Teenager CW / WB Lover
post #508 of 1954 Old 08-31-2006, 05:23 AM

Does the WBCB know if they are going to upload the fall preview on WFMJ's website or on youtube so many more people can see? Or is their a place to download it?

Teenager CW / WB Lover
post #509 of 1954 Old 08-31-2006, 06:16 AM

Thank you for posting the showtimes for the preview. I was able to watch it and tape it. The best way to get the special is the old fashion way. I taped it by VCR so I would have a copy. As for the new WFMJ.com I love it. But I noticed that the history page of the station is gone. Where is it? I like how the webpage uses a template from worldnow. I noticed that penguin profile will be streamed. Will other news programs be streamed there as well? But please pass to the web department that the new wfmj.com is beautiful and is alot better than the old site. BTW is WBCB going to be called the cw WBCB or Youngstown CW WBCB? The on air promos say the CW WBCB and WFMJ.com has it as Youngstown CW WBCB.
post #510 of 1954 Old 08-31-2006, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happened again Thursday night at 8pm on DT 21-1...
Weather Plus audio with black or no video...
same thing happened a few months back as I remember...
but evidently this time they caught it and switched to a SD "Earl" feed!
Network HD feed problem??

Ed...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page