Youngstown, OH - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Youngstown, OH - HDTV

Local HDTV Info and Reception

mavtv's Avatar mavtv
10:05 AM Liked: 10
post #541 of 1962
09-12-2006 | Posts: 175
Why did WFMJ drop the rebroadcast of WFMJ today for the daily buzz? I really enjoyed the second showing.

Also I noticed that the legal ID for WBCB the valley's CW has now added WFMJ-TV? Since WBCB is only a digital sub-channel of WFMJ-DT is the WFMj-TV really needed? The last on-air ID only showed WFMJ-DT Youngstown and now it goes WFMJ-TV/WFMJ-DT Youngstown.

Now that WFMJ is getting a new set can we expect to see a 10 o'clock version on WBCB as well? If I can ask how will the replacement of the set actually work? Will it be done in off hours or will the newscast for a few days have to take place elsewhere? On WFMJ today (the video is on the main page of wfmj.com) they say it will happen at the end of the month or the first of October? I would assume that this must be a headache for the engineering staff in addition to the new antenna being installed as well.
Inundated's Avatar Inundated
10:11 AM Liked: 10
post #542 of 1962
09-12-2006 | Posts: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

Also I noticed that the legal ID for WBCB the valley's CW has now added WFMJ-TV? Since WBCB is only a digital sub-channel of WFMJ-DT is the WFMj-TV really needed? The last on-air ID only showed WFMJ-DT Youngstown and now it goes WFMJ-TV/WFMJ-DT Youngstown.

I guess Bob would answer most of these questions, but he's the one in charge of all the engineering headaches you talk about, so we probably won't see him much

My guess on this one is that they "standardize" the ID for whatever reason. It doesn't really matter as long as "WFMJ-DT Youngstown" is there in some form. (I also noticed WKBN did finally add "WKBN-DT" to the WYFX ID.)
BambiScott's Avatar BambiScott
10:16 AM Liked: 10
post #543 of 1962
09-12-2006 | Posts: 52
why are all the time warner people stupid? Now my wb is working fine. on wbcb Cw whatever will GG and VM be on or just GG gilmore girls?
TV21CHIEF's Avatar TV21CHIEF
11:13 AM Liked: 10
post #544 of 1962
09-12-2006 | Posts: 380
Glad the audio is back. I called it in myself.

The ID's must have WFMJ-DT on them and the city of license. I have no idea how the -TV ended up on them. The ID's on 21.1 are simulcast with the analog so they have both -TV and -DT.

Yes, there's the antenna project, the set, the new web site with the extra studio time to do the NowCasts, a bureau at the Eastwood Mall, and they're in training for a new traffic system. We don't have firm plans yet on how we're going to launch the new set.

Dropping the WFMJ Today was a program decision. I don't go there.
mavtv's Avatar mavtv
11:17 AM Liked: 10
post #545 of 1962
Gillmore Girls season premeire is Tuesday Setember 26 th and Veronica Mars season premere is Tuesday October 3 rd. Here is the offical my space webpage for the CW:

http://www.myspace.com/thecw

The cw streaming Everybody Hates Chris, Veronica Mars and Runaway on msn :

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ts&text=the+cw
11:21 AM Liked: 10
post #546 of 1962
09-12-2006 | Posts: 52
I already knew that but I wanted to know if tonight's line up changhed yet or it will sep. 18
mavtv's Avatar mavtv
11:32 AM Liked: 10
post #547 of 1962
I thought in the case of Fox 17/62, the ID had to be:
WFX-CA/-Mercer, WYFX-LP/Youngstown and then WKBN-DT.
They have it as being WYFX-LP,WKBN-DT,WFXI-CA. Now MY-YTV has it as WYTV Youngstown-Warren. I thought that a digital station was to ID the sub channels as being the primiary station (ex: WBCB as being WFMJ-DT) but it had to have the type of service in the ID. In my-ytv's case I thought it had to be WYTV-DT. not just WYTV. I know when WBCB first signed on they had at least for local the cable company, no reference to WFMJ-DT at all. and they at some point added WFMJ-DT Youngstown. Is the actual order of stations important to the FCC when a local TV station airs a ID at theTop/ bottom of the hour and does it matter if they identify the type of service such as digital or class a low power they are using?
11:39 AM Liked: 10
post #548 of 1962
09-12-2006 | Posts: 380
Quote:

I thought in the case of Fox 17/62, the ID had to be:
WFX-CA/-Mercer, WYFX-LP/Youngstown and then WKBN-DT.
They have it as being WYFX-LP,WKBN-DT,WFXI-CA. Now MY-YTV has it as WYTV Youngstown-Warren. I thought that a digital station was to ID the sub channels as being the primiary station (ex: WBCB as being WFMJ-DT) but it had to have the type of service in the ID. In my-ytv's case I thought it had to be WYTV-DT. not just WYTV. I know when WBCB first signed on they had at least for local the cable company, no reference to WFMJ-DT at all. and they at some point added WFMJ-DT Youngstown. Is the actual order of stations important to the FCC when a local TV station airs a ID at theTop/ bottom of the hour and does it matter if they identify the type of service such as digital or class a low power they are using?

Order is not important. It has to have the "licensed" call letters of the primary video signal and if simulcast, the "licensed" analog call letters. WFMJ is correct according to the terms of the FCC law and review by our attorney.
mavtv's Avatar mavtv
11:55 AM Liked: 10
post #549 of 1962
The final nite of the WB Sunday Setember 17 th 2006:
5-10 PM

Felicity Pilot A young woman experiences college in New York City. CC Repeat Stereo

Angel City Of The fallen vampire Angel (David Boreanaz), cursed with a conscience, sets out to save lost souls in the City of Angels. CC Repeat Stereo

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Welcome to Hellmouth; Harvest Buffy Summers moves to Sunnydale, Calif., and finds evil lurking in the suburbs. CC Repeat Stereo

Dawson's Creek Pilot Four teenagers experience growing pains. CC Repeat Stereo

The CW daytrime Monday-Friday:
3-5PM:

What I Like About You A spirited teenager moves in with her straight-laced older sister. CC Stereo

What I Like About You A spirited teenager moves in with her straight-laced older sister. CC Stereo

Reba A Texas mother copes with multiple domestic problems. CC Stereo

Reba A Texas mother copes with multiple domestic problems. CC Stereo

Monday Setember 18th
8-10 PM:

8PM :

7th Heaven And Thank You On Simon's wedding day, Matt and Sarah make a surprise announcement, as do Kevin and Lucy. CC Repeat Stereo

9PM:

ET Presents the CW: Launch of a New Network Hosts Ryan Devlin and Hilarie Burton interview many of the network's stars; exclusive behind-the-scenes footage of its TV shows. CC Stereo

Tuesday Setember 19 th:

3-5PM See Monday

8PM:

Gilmore Girls Partings Troubadours overrun Stars Hollow; Rory throws Logan a party on the eve of his London departure; Emily and Richard play matchmaker for Christopher; Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo perform. CC Repeat Stereo

9PM:

ET Presents the CW Launch Party The CW Network's premiere party on the Warner Bros. Studio lot; red-carpet interviews with network stars; hosts Ryan Devlin and Hilarie Burton. CC Stereo

Wed Setrember 20:

8-10 PM

America's Next Top Model The Girl Who Marks Her Territory The semifinalists participate in a revealing photo-shoot on a Sunset Strip rooftop; 13 women vie for 11 beds; Tyra's dramatic appearance kicks off a controversial photo-shoot. CC Stereo

Thursday

8-9 PM:
Smallville Vessel Brainiac unleashes a deadly virus and refuses to give Clark the vaccine unless he releases Gen. Zod; having newfound powers stuns Lex. CC Repeat Stereo

9-10 PM:

Supernatural Devil's Trap Sam and Dean seek help in their mission to save their father from Meg; a lively battle ensues between the Winchesters and a long-sought after demon. CC Repeat Stereo

Friday:

8-10 PM:

WWE Friday Night SmackDown! CC Stereo

Saturday Morining 7 AM-Noon:

Krypto the Superdog Krypto's Scripto Part 1; Krypto's Scripto Part 2 CC

Krypto the Superdog Super Flea; A Bug's Strife CC

Monster Allergy The Pyramid of the Invulnerable CC

Tom and Jerry Tales Tiger Cat; Feeding Time; Polar Peril CC

Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue! Shags to Riches CC Stereo

Johnny Test Johnny Dodgeball; Johnny and the Attack of the Monster Truck CC Stereo

Legion of Super Heroes Man of Tomorrow CC

The Batman A Matter of Family CC Stereo

Xiaolin Showdown Sizing Up Omi CC Repeat Stereo

Loonatics Unleashed Secrets of the Guardian Strike Sword CC Stereo

Sunday 24th 5-10 PM:

Everybody Hates Chris Everybody Hates Keisha Rochelle hires their young neighbor, Keisha, to tutor Drew in math, which Chris sees as a chance to impress the girl. CC Repeat Stereo

Everybody Hates Chris Everybody Hates Basketball People assume that Chris is good at basketball, so he is recruited to the school team. CC Repeat Stereo

Everybody Hates Chris Everybody Hates Sausage Fists fly and Dr. Raymond (Jude Ciccolella) must intervene in the conflict between Chris and the school bully. CC Repeat Stereo

Everybody Hates Chris Everybody Hates Halloween Chris' mother insists he take his younger siblings out trick-or-treating, which jeopardizes his own plans. CC Repeat Stereo

Everybody Hates Chris Everybody Hates the Babysitter Julius and Rochelle hire a baby sitter to watch the children, but when she leaves them alone, Chris covers for her. CC Repeat Stereo

Everybody Hates Chris Everybody Hates the Laundromat Chris is put in charge of doing the family's laundry and must endure a Saturday at the Laundromat with Drew and Tonya. CC Repeat Stereo

America's Next Top Model The Girl Who Marks Her Territory The semifinalists participate in a revealing photo-shoot on a Sunset Strip rooftop; 13 women vie for 11 beds; Tyra's dramatic appearance kicks off a controversial photo-shoot. CC Repeat Stereo

Monday 25th:

7th Heaven Turn, Turn, Turn Emotionally unstable Lucy delivers the sermon; Martin expresses his romantic intentions to Sandy; Sandy reveals that she has switched majors; a neighbor (Jewel) lulls Savannah to sleep every night. CC Stereo

Runaway Pilot After Paul Rader is wrongly accused of murder, he takes his family on the run, and they assume new identities in a small town. CC Stereo

Source zap2it.com

Here is a link to the CW blog From WGN CW 9 :

http://blogs.trb.com/network/cwsource/

link to the cw fall preivew from WPXI cw 11 in New York:

http://cw11.trb.com/entertainment/network/special1/
Michael P 2341's Avatar Michael P 2341
04:45 PM Liked: 15
post #550 of 1962
09-12-2006 | Posts: 1,211
Quote:

Isn't the WBNX tower on the same property as WKYC/WTAM or is it on the WQHS property in Parma? It is a shame WBNX and WQHS couldn't switch channels since WQHS has a digital signal up and running.

WBNX and WQHS are both on the Camp Corde' property (a CYO camp) on seperate towers. WTAM has not been on the WKYC tower since the day the ownership split - back in the 60's! WTAM is back on it's original tower in Brecksville, almost on the county line. the closest tower to WKYC is WOIO, which is in the West Creek Metro Park (the park was the Parma City Dump when WOIO erected the tower). WBNX and WQHS are not too much farther down Ridgewood Dr. Check out this link:
http://www.fybush.com/sites/2004/site-040212.html
mavtv's Avatar mavtv
04:59 PM Liked: 10
post #551 of 1962
Thank you for the link. Is that the orginal home of ch 8 in the picture? I know now there studios are near the lake and I read on ch 8's old website that they use to broadcast from Parma. If that is the case then that is where Alan Freed and Paul Newman once worked! BTW I have always assumed that they are refering to Paul Newman the actor since it lists it as his family owning a sporting goods store. If this is true then why doesn't it list him as a former ch 8 employee anywhere else? Is this really the Paul Newman the actor/race car driver or is it someone else?
here is the link: it is on the second page tilted
Getting Airborne : http://www.fox8cleveland.com/default2.htm

BTW my fox cleveland has gone live: http://www.myfoxcleveland.com/myfox/
Andrew K's Avatar Andrew K
10:31 AM Liked: 15
post #552 of 1962
09-13-2006 | Posts: 455
Has anything changed with WFMJ's analog signal lately? I was getting almost a clear picture for a while, and now i don't get hardly anything.
04:52 PM Liked: 15
post #553 of 1962
09-13-2006 | Posts: 1,211
For those of you that can get both the Cleveland stations and WKBN-DT you will be treated to access of 2 extra NFL games this Sunday.

While both WOIO and WKBN will have the same Browns - Bengals game at 1 PM, at 4:15 you will have a choice of KC @ Den (WOIO) or NE @ NYJ (WKBN).

Over on FOX WYFX (WKBN-DT's subchannel 27-2) will have a 1 PM game NYG @ PHI, while WJW will have AZ @ Sea at 4 PM.

UPDATE (per J.P.Kirby):
WOIO just changed the 4 PM game to NE @ NYJ, so that's one less game for us
A bunch of Ohio markets changed this game. The closest market still carrying KC @ DEN is Detroit.
05:04 PM Liked: 15
post #554 of 1962
Quote:

Thank you for the link. Is that the orginal home of ch 8 in the picture? I know now there studios are near the lake and I read on ch 8's old website that they use to broadcast from Parma. If that is the case then that is where Alan Freed and Paul Newman once worked! BTW I have always assumed that they are refering to Paul Newman the actor since it lists it as his family owning a sporting goods store. If this is true then why doesn't it list him as a former ch 8 employee anywhere else? Is this really the Paul Newman the actor/race car driver or is it someone else?
here is the link: it is on the second page tilted
Getting Airborne : http://www.fox8cleveland.com/default2.htm

BTW my fox cleveland has gone live: http://www.myfoxcleveland.com/myfox/

The picture of "WJW nee WXEL" is the old TELEVISION studio back in the days when it was WXEL ch 9.
Soupy Sales might have worked out of the WXEL studio, however Alan Freed worked at the Downtown Cleveland studios of WJW Radio on Euclid Ave. (2020 Euclid IIRC). WJW-TV was also at 2020 Euclid, but not until after the frequency and call letter change in the mid 50's. The current WJW studios is on the lakefront on South Marginal Rd. east of East 55th St.

I have not heard about Paul Newman working at WJW, however Tim Conway and Ernie Anderson got their start at WJW-TV.
05:17 PM Liked: 15
post #555 of 1962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

Has anything changed with WFMJ's analog signal lately? I was getting almost a clear picture for a while, and now i don't get hardly anything.

I get WFMJ-TV (analog) every day in Parma. The PQ varies with the atmosphere, time of day and time of year. I'm 56 miles from the transmitter, YMMV.

Mid Summer is when the signal is the strongest. With Fall approaching the signal starts to get weaker. There will always be times when there is a surge in signal, but you can never count on it to be strong when you need it.

Fortunately WKBN-DT is perfect nearly 24/7. The strength varies, however as long as I can get 70% I get a lock. I average 95%, it's been as high as 116% (on the E* scale).
07:57 AM Liked: 10
post #556 of 1962
09-15-2006 | Posts: 52
Hey who is that Paul guy he is called the cw guy?? I mean why do they do that he doesn't belong with the cw!
mavtv's Avatar mavtv
12:52 PM Liked: 10
post #557 of 1962
09-15-2006 | Posts: 175
The "paul" guy is Paul Knight. He is a DJ at WHOT-FM in Youngstown. http://www.hot101.com/jock_weekends.shtml He has been with the station for at least 2-3 years. They also hired KELIN "the cw girl" as well for Sunday afternoons. WFMJ/WBCB have a deal with WHOT/WYFM for news and weather updates yet another jock Jim Loboy moonlights at WYTV/MY-YTV as a back up metorlogist.
01:27 PM Liked: 10
post #558 of 1962
09-15-2006 | Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I'm in DTV construction. Lower power, lower height, transmitters going on and off to protect workers, etc.
10:27 AM Liked: 10
post #559 of 1962
09-17-2006 | Posts: 52
I know today is the last day of the wb wbcb and I know whats playing today but will we get old commericals from the wb cast? Throught out the time 5pm-10pm? Cause I want to see the old promos and stuff???
mavtv's Avatar mavtv
01:56 PM Liked: 10
post #560 of 1962
09-17-2006 | Posts: 175
From what I understand yes that is indeed a part of the plan. I would assume the good and the bad will be apart of the final nite. From the shows that made it to the shows that never got off the ground it should be there. Here is what should be apart of the last nite of the wb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...cast_by_The_WB

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-wb...,3584359.story

http://www.tvobscurities.com/articles/wbimage.php
06:10 AM Liked: 10
post #561 of 1962
09-19-2006 | Posts: 52
Ya The CW is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
06:49 AM Liked: 10
post #562 of 1962
09-19-2006 | Posts: 52
MY CW is just black!!!!!! NO!!! I'm so sad
mavtv's Avatar mavtv
10:48 AM Liked: 10
post #563 of 1962
09-19-2006 | Posts: 175
If it makes you feel any better yesterday WBCB was working out the "bugs" of getting its feed from a new network and even a different master control they had some picture problems, showed the "cw" screen that lets the local station know where the network feed ends and where local commericals should be placed, black screen a few times and the unoffical begining of What I like about you had the first few minutes of picture problems. But I can understand 100% with everything WFMJ is doing and I assume with the new network there will be problems on the first day of broadcast that they will work out so I understand it is not their fault. But overall I liked the new network but I still miss the wb and upn being seperate and the final goodbye was very touching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVR78SujJyI
11:09 AM Liked: 10
post #564 of 1962
09-19-2006 | Posts: 380
Bear in mind I still have tower workers in the field of the digital side mount antenna and I have to shut down the digital to protect them. This could happen anywhere between 7 AM and 7 PM. Obviously that will kill WBCB as well. Some of the off air times could be extensive.

Yes, the green slate is obnoxious. They give us zero time between the end of the promo and local break. I've already complained to my higher-ups and we'll see what happens this week.
MisterZero69's Avatar MisterZero69
12:02 PM Liked: 10
post #565 of 1962
09-19-2006 | Posts: 42
Anyone have any idea if WYTV changed something with their digital broadcast? My receiver used to pick it up no problem. Now it comes in but the receiver doesn't list it as a channel, I have to manually enter it. Of course, I still can't get it reliably, but I think it's some sort of interference in the area, WKBN is iffy at times too.
Inundated's Avatar Inundated
07:07 PM Liked: 10
post #566 of 1962
09-19-2006 | Posts: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21CHIEF View Post

Bear in mind I still have tower workers in the field of the digital side mount antenna and I have to shut down the digital to protect them. This could happen anywhere between 7 AM and 7 PM. Obviously that will kill WBCB as well. Some of the off air times could be extensive.

...and I assume this means what I think it does.

(Honest, we're more patient than that! )
06:13 AM Liked: 10
post #567 of 1962
09-20-2006 | Posts: 52
Yeah I know but I just don't want to miss my shows at 8pm
mavtv's Avatar mavtv
11:42 AM Liked: 10
post #568 of 1962
09-20-2006 | Posts: 175
The biggest difference that I noticed was that it seems the digital picture looks alot better than it did in the past. Even MY-YTV primetimes looks pretty decent in its quality. It does seem that the MY-YTV programming outside of primetime looks brighter and not as clear as compaired to the WYTV side.
mavtv's Avatar mavtv
11:45 AM Liked: 10
post #569 of 1962
09-20-2006 | Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero69 View Post

Anyone have any idea if WYTV changed something with their digital broadcast? My receiver used to pick it up no problem. Now it comes in but the receiver doesn't list it as a channel, I have to manually enter it. Of course, I still can't get it reliably, but I think it's some sort of interference in the area, WKBN is iffy at times too.

I would assume it might have something to do with the new sub channel MY-YTV and why there would be tuning problems?
02:43 PM Liked: 10
post #570 of 1962
09-21-2006 | Posts: 52
My cw is black from 11:30am and still is black. I called time warner cable and I said my channel 17 is black and they think it is WPMY and I didn't say anything cause I should get WBCB and its still black Help me!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Subscribe to this Thread