Youngstown, OH - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1958 Old 12-06-2004, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FOX WYFX channel 62 is up and running on Directv. It looks like it might have come up sometime over the weekend. Now if we can just get the local WB station. TV21CHIEF, Any chance that will happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1958 Old 12-06-2004, 07:13 AM

I don't negotiate the satellite deals. I know we've been contacted but I don't know where it stands. We just went from papyrus and abacus to full computer automation on both stations and video server. It's all I can do to keep video on the air right now, so I haven't been following the satellite and cable deals.
post #33 of 1958 Old 12-06-2004, 01:24 PM

Actually when I checked 62 was actually WNYW Fox 5 out of New York, did it changed to WFYX?
post #34 of 1958 Old 12-07-2004, 06:16 AM

Shark, oops you are correct. I assumed since it was on 62 that is was the Youngstown affiliate. WYFX had told me that they were working with Directv to get on the air by the end of the year. I wonder if the NY Fox station is just temporary. Sorry for the confusion.
post #35 of 1958 Old 12-07-2004, 01:59 PM

Yeah I noticed that too, I figured it was just a temporary solution. I can actually get it on my dish on channel 62 without the other dish. Strange.
post #36 of 1958 Old 12-30-2004, 09:47 AM

Did anybody else notice some audio sync issues with Lost last night on 33-1? It looked like audio was delayed a second or so. The image seemed kind of jumpy as well.

I just bought a Panasonic PT43LC14 last week and have Dish Network service using an 811 reciever to tune in local OTA channels with an indoor antenna.

This is the first time I see this issue and none of the other OTA channels seem to have this problem (NBC,WB and PBS).
post #37 of 1958 Old 01-06-2005, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know when WFMJ will start Dolby Digital 5.1 audio transmissions?

Tony
post #38 of 1958 Old 01-06-2005, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TLaz
Does anyone know when WFMJ will start Dolby Digital 5.1 audio transmissions?

I don't have the equipment yet, and with the money we just spent getting the WB network on the air it will be a while, sorry.
post #39 of 1958 Old 01-06-2005, 08:20 AM

In order to comply with FCC regulations, I have to make some PSIP changes to WFMJ-HD and WBCB on 21-1 and 21-2 today at 12:30 PM. If you're getting us on cable we will go away for awhile until the cable techs rescan their tuners. For you OTA people, you will probably have to re-enter channel 20 or 20-1, or do a rescan to get us back. What you have to do depends on your particular set top box. In some of the older set top boxes it may be necessary to power it off and back on. If you've monitored any of the other threads in the Info and Reception area, you'll see this is going on around the country as many broadcasters that have been on the air for a year or more are catching up with changing rules. Sorry for the inconvienince, but if it's any consolation, this will be a bigger pain for me than you.
post #40 of 1958 Old 01-07-2005, 02:44 PM

anyone elso having ota abc hd problems with skipping
post #41 of 1958 Old 01-07-2005, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by coolguy202

Good here at 8pm.

Tony
post #42 of 1958 Old 01-08-2005, 05:53 AM

It seems to only be a problem with Lost. The 2-hour season premiere of Alias right after this week seemed fine.
post #43 of 1958 Old 01-08-2005, 09:00 AM

thanks i think it might be my reciever... i have directv and use that reciever and its a samsung and people say it causes issues..any cheap ideas for hd reciever...and do u guys use cable or ota
post #44 of 1958 Old 01-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, I've been seeing this for a while. I have two receivers(HTPC with a MyHD tuner card, VOOM satellite receiver with OTA tuner) and they both show the problem. There is no such problem on the Cleveland ABC affiliate. I think Lost is the only show on ABC, other than sports, that I watch. Usually I record Smallville on the HTPC and watch Lost on the VOOM box. Even though ch 36 is DD 5.1, I've been choosing to watch the non 5.1 ch 15 in Cleveland because of the better picture. Since there have not been any new episodes of Smallville lately, I've been watching ch 15 on one receiver but listening to ch 36 on the other. Since other forum members are seeing the problem, I have to guess the problem has to do with their encoder. I've seen other threads for other cities that complain about their affiliates using bargain basement encoders that are pieces of crap and exhibit similar artifacts. I wonder if anyone has let them know they have a problem? I'll see if I can find an email address and send them a note.
Steve
post #45 of 1958 Old 01-14-2005, 12:56 PM

wfmj is the only one with there act together..way to go wfmj...
post #46 of 1958 Old 01-15-2005, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
wfmj is the only one with there act together..way to go wfmj...

I think(and this usually gets in Serious trouble here at the forum, and my girlfriend. One in the same I guess) this is because WFMJ(along with a MAJORITY of NBC owned stations, if not all) incorporated HD/Digital equipment at their stations long ago. 2 or 3 years at least). They had a chance to work out the MAJOR kinks, while the other networks have kind of "fought, bitched, dragged their feet, etc... to HD/digital changeover.

This, of course, is NOT true of all the affiliates owned by(or independent of) ABC, CBS, FOX, Etc...

I think they did this so people would have HD/digital Olympic coverage this past Summer. I am not sure, but I thought I read that NBC(or whoever owns them. GE?) actually picked up the tab for the changeover on the affiliates they own, which I believ includes WFMJ. I don't know if that includes WPXI/NBC out of the Burgh though.
post #47 of 1958 Old 01-16-2005, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Would anyone know why Time Warner Cable in Trumbull County includes all of the Cleveland HD stations except WOIO (CBS)?

WKBN (CBS) is the only local network station not broadcasting in HD and the only Cleveland HD station not available on cable is WOIO CBS - what a bummer.
post #48 of 1958 Old 01-16-2005, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Ronald K
Would anyone know why Time Warner Cable in Trumbull County includes all of the Cleveland HD stations except WOIO (CBS)?

WKBN (CBS) is the only local network station not broadcasting in HD and the only Cleveland HD station not available on cable is WOIO CBS - what a bummer.

WOIO is owned by Raycom Media out of Alabama, and has apparently been a tough negotiator in allowing cable systems to carry the HD version of its channels.

TWC doesn't carry either WOIO or sister station WUAB/43 in HD, and neither does Adelphia, which services the area I'm in. The good news - they did manage to come to an agreement with Cox and Comcast, the other two major MSO-owned cable systems in Cleveland, and I believe they're also on Wide Open West, an alternative system. And I believe they're negotiating with Adelphia, though I don't know what progress is being made.

Someone I know who works at TWC tells me that it's a money issue...his quote was something like "WOIO wants too much money".
post #49 of 1958 Old 01-16-2005, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't think ANYTHING will be done with Adelphia until they are either bought out by someone, or fix their financial/court(meaning bankruptcy) situation.

I think most of us here in NE Ohio or NW PA(where I am) are kind of screwed when Adelphia is your ONLY(I live in a rural area. Amish country) choice as far as cable is concerned.

No Clear QAM for local(Burgh/Ytown) stations of the WB(although OTA SD on 21-2 is here out of Ytown), UPN, and especially FOX(this STINKS for the Super Bowl. OTA is possible out of the Burgh on Fox 53) since Sinclair is playinf hard ball.
post #50 of 1958 Old 01-16-2005, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STEELERSRULE
I don't think ANYTHING will be done with Adelphia until they are either bought out by someone, or fix their financial/court(meaning bankruptcy) situation.

The thing is...for all Adelphia's faults, they're actually adding national HD channels. NFL Network HD is supposed to show up this coming week. Adelphia was the only cable MSO signing on for ESPN2HD, though there's no indication when it'll show up (anywhere, even on DirecTV ). They added WVIZ/PBS and Discovery HD in the past couple of months.

I think the problem here is that you have a company like Adelphia negotiating with a "bottom line" broadcast group like Raycom.
post #51 of 1958 Old 01-17-2005, 10:02 PM

Hello all,

I was wondering if the locals in this area could assist me in some of the questions I have. I just finally got my first HDTV and I'm dyin to watch some of my shows in HD. Only problem is, the local WB doesn't broadcast in HD and UPN is not local. Those would be the stations at this moment that I want before I commit to a HD package from a Sat provider.

Let me start off with some info before the questions. I live in Campbell and am at the top of the valley. I use a cheesy little antenna that actually works pretty well in my basement for the local WYTV-DT, WFMJ-DT and WKBN-DT.

Ok, the two stations that have my shows in HD(I think) are WBNX-DT (Akron, OH, 61.1 miles from me) and WUAB-DT (Lorain, OH, 62.1 miles from me). Both are 298 degrees from my location.

Now the first question would be, do those two stations broadcast in HDTV? I can't seem to find if they shows are actually broadcasted in HDTV.

AntennaWeb says that Violet antenna w/ pre-amp would be suitable. But, I still live with my mom, and I don't think she'll appreciate an Oil Tanker's anchor on the roof. TitanTV suggested a SquareShooter 2000 which looks very nice compared to an achor. So, the question would be, is it still possible to pick up a signal 60 some miles from me?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm still scouring through the Antenna forum, but thought I would check to see what the locals may be using.

Thanks,

Pano
post #52 of 1958 Old 01-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

I live in Akron so I can't help you on your antenna selection but I can tell you that WUAB is definitely broadcasting some shows in HDTV on channel 28. I watch Enterprise on Friday nights and it looks great. WBNX is not yet broadcasting digitally and nobody seems to know when they will. Last I heard they were involved in a legal battle with a station in Canada that has their same FCC assigned digital channel number. I've emailed the station but get no response. WFMJ in Youngstown however is broadcasting the WB on 20.2. It is not HD but it's not bad.
Steve
post #53 of 1958 Old 01-18-2005, 06:26 PM

SteveC,

Thanks for you response! Enterprise was one of the shows that I'm tryin to get in HD. I'll definately try and get that station (WUAB). I pick up WMFJ here, and have it on satellite as well. Maybe I'll just get HDNet and catch some episodes of Smallville on there.

Thanks again,
Pano
post #54 of 1958 Old 01-19-2005, 12:27 PM

Any one know if where any closer to getting WBCB on direct TV or any WB
as a local for Youngstown/ warren
post #55 of 1958 Old 01-19-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveYoung
Any one know if where any closer to getting WBCB on direct TV or any WB
as a local for Youngstown/ warren

Still a work in progress. Maybe 1st quarter this year, but don't hold me to it.
post #56 of 1958 Old 01-19-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TV21CHIEF
Still a work in progress. Maybe 1st quarter this year, but don't hold me to it.

Robert,

Have you been having audio sync issues this week? Both the SD broadcast via DishNetwork and the OTA HD signal had issues last night during Everybody Loves Raymond. Audio was lagging way behind the video.
post #57 of 1958 Old 01-19-2005, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by brzilian
Robert,

Have you been having audio sync issues this week? Both the SD broadcast via DishNetwork and the OTA HD signal had issues last night during Everybody Loves Raymond. Audio was lagging way behind the video.

Yes. I've been tracking it since November when we put all the new equipment on line for WB and server playback. It's very intermittent. I'm waiting for software updates to see if that helps. Sorry for the bad kung-fu movie effect.
post #58 of 1958 Old 01-19-2005, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Pano

Thanks for you response! Enterprise was one of the shows that I'm tryin to get in HD. I'll definately try and get that station (WUAB). I pick up WMFJ here, and have it on satellite as well. Maybe I'll just get HDNet and catch some episodes of Smallville on there.

Good plan. As noted, WBNX-DT (WB/Cleveland) isn't even broadcasting digitally yet, let alone HD. Not a single soul has been able to figure out any progress on this, and we go without WB HD here in Northeast Ohio. WFMJ's WBCB is an SD subchannel, and won't ever go HD, unless WFMJ manages to buy another full-power station.

As far as I know, UPN-wise, WUAB-DT carries whatever the network sends out in HD. I've seen many other shows besides Enterprise passed through in HD.
post #59 of 1958 Old 01-22-2005, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if WYTV-DT's transmissions are currently at the full FCC alloted power? Are they using their permanent DTV antenna set up?

WYTV is the weakest station I receive, and was hoping that in the future I could receive it more consistently.

TIA

Tony
post #60 of 1958 Old 01-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

TLaz,
How far from the WYTV tower are you? I talked to the chief engineer at WYTV about the jumpy picture and he basically blew it off as me being too far(40 miles) from the tower. He says he sees no problem. I would like to find someone closer to the tower that is seeing the problem so he can't use distance as an excuse. The engineer's name is Bill Lough and his email is wlough@wytv.com I'm sure he could answer your question about their transmit power.
Steve
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page