Old 09-21-2006, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21CHIEF View Post

Bear in mind I still have tower workers in the field of the digital side mount antenna and I have to shut down the digital to protect them. This could happen anywhere between 7 AM and 7 PM. Obviously that will kill WBCB as well. Some of the off air times could be extensive.

Yes, the green slate is obnoxious. They give us zero time between the end of the promo and local break. I've already complained to my higher-ups and we'll see what happens this week.

I actually got a lock on WFMJ-DT last night. No other DX around, so I presume this may be due to the work being done. I got an steady average of 66 on my E* 921 which is right at the locking threshhold. I had some pixillation, but this is an improvement over my previous non-reception (no lock, signal strength fluxuating from 70 to 0).

If there is still more work to be done, I'm hopeful that WFMJ-DT will become another 24/7 signal for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of us who can get both the Cleveland and Youngstown market stations that carry Sunday afternoon NFL games here is the situation.

Due to the Browns playing at home WJW will not be able to carry the 2nd game of the FOX double header. Over in Youngstown WKBN has decided to carry the 1 PM Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh game, while WYFX will carry both games of the FOX double header (in SD, of course).

If you are a Steelers fan, the WKBN-DT game will be in HD. The 4:05 game Baltimore at Cleveland on WOIO will be in SD (no surprise).

The FOX games: 1:00 PM Chicago @ Minnesota in HD on WJW and in SD on WYFX
4:00 PM NY Giants @ Seattle - only on WYFX due the the Browns playing at home.

As always the schedules are subject to change. I get this information from JPKirby's excellent site: http://www.gribblenation.net/nflmaps/
Old 09-22-2006, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was watching deal or no deal and I noticed the NBC slate and wondered why it went from just a peacok and changed to a flag with flag pole (I think but I know it changed the graphic from a simple NBC peacock)? I thought that was neat and I was wondering if there was a special meaning for the graphic changing?
Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

For those of us who can get both the Cleveland and Youngstown market stations that carry Sunday afternoon NFL games here is the situation.

Due to the Browns playing at home WJW will not be able to carry the 2nd game of the FOX double header. Over in Youngstown WKBN has decided to carry the 1 PM Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh game, while WYFX will carry both games of the FOX double header (in SD, of course).

If you are a Steelers fan, the WKBN-DT game will be in HD. The 4:05 game Baltimore at Cleveland on WOIO will be in SD (no surprise).

The FOX games: 1:00 PM Chicago @ Minnesota in HD on WJW and in SD on WYFX
4:00 PM NY Giants @ Seattle - only on WYFX due the the Browns playing at home.

As always the schedules are subject to change. I get this information from JPKirby's excellent site: http://www.gribblenation.net/nflmaps/

I thought that Youngstown was considered Browns turf and this is the reason they carry mostly browns games.I know that time warner cable in the city of Youngstown has WOIO (grandfathered from when it was FOX Nineteen WOIO) but why the change up? Does the mangement at WKBN/WYFX know what problems they will have by not airing the Browns game. People here in the Mahoning valley get upset when the Steelers are chosen over the Browns.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

I thought that Youngstown was considered Browns turf and this is the reason they carry mostly browns games.I know that time warner cable in the city of Youngstown has WOIO (grandfathered from when it was FOX Nineteen WOIO) but why the change up? Does the mangement at WKBN/WYFX know what problems they will have by not airing the Browns game. People here in the Mahoning valley get upset when the Steelers are chosen over the Browns.

I was as surprised as you over WKBN's decision to carry the Steelers over the Browns. Perhaps they are testing the waters to see if there really are some Browns fans in the Youngstown market who cannot get WOIO. Another reason may be to keep what little bit of PA in their market. They lost Armstrong County (i.e. New Castle) to the Pittsburgh DMA several years ago, they want to hold onto Mercer County. BTW: According to one of the station engineers who posts here, the Pittsburgh DMA is trying to claim Columbiana County Ohio and the Cleveland DMA is trying for Trumbull County. That would put the Youngstown DMA in the same low ranking as Lima OH.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:

I was watching deal or no deal and I noticed the NBC slate and wondered why it went from just a peacok and changed to a flag with flag pole (I think but I know it changed the graphic from a simple NBC peacock)? I thought that was neat and I was wondering if there was a special meaning for the graphic changing?

You're not supposed to see that. Somebody screwed up.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi TV21 Chief: How is the tower/power upgrade going? I had a lock on Wednesday and Thursday but not last night. Was it just the atmospheric conditions or were you running the DT higher on the tower and/or higher power those days?

Wednesday the signal was right on the threshhold for locking (62-66 with no drop), however Thursday was even stronger (in the 90's). Friday the signal was back to 70 - 0 - 53 - 0...
Old 09-23-2006, 11:08 AM

I find this quite interresting. The wb's last known url is still up and running: http://thewb.warnerbros.com/web/index.jsp and http://thewb.warnerbros.com/web/schedule.jsp . I know that it takes time to take down a site and that the schedule is automatically generated but it is odd that the kids wb line up is still listed. This is indded the current line up for kids wb. But the actual kicker is that the domain and location of the cw actually belongs to Warner Bros.

Domain Name: CWTV.COM
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com
Name Server: NS.WARNERBROS.COM
Name Server: NS2.WARNERBROS.COM
EPP Status: clientDeleteProhibited
EPP Status: clientTransferProhibited
EPP Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Updated Date: 16-May-2006
Creation Date: 07-Feb-2000
Expiration Date: 07-Feb-2009

>>> Last update of whois database: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:57:13 EDT <<<<br />
Current Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
IP Address: 72.32.116.77 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location: -(-)
Record Type: Domain Name
Server Type: Netscape 4
Lock Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
Web Site Status: Active
DMOZ no listings
Y! Directory: see listings
Web Site Title: The CW Television Network
Secure: No
E-commerce: Yes
Traffic Ranking: 1
Data as of: 25-Jul-2006

From Network Solutions WHOIS Search Results. Could this be the IT at the WB being behind from the launch of the new www.cwtv.com or could this be something more? Everyday the cw keeps adding more content but it make me wonder what there plan is.

I honestly forgot that it was the cw since there was no promos for any cw primetime shows but when the wb was up and running they would air wb primetime promos every half hour. In fact outside of station ID's there was no mention of the cw at all. In fact with the execption of a few new shows kids wb remains pretty much in tact. So in some sort of stange way a piece of the wb television network still lives on though the Saturday Moroning cartoons.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Hi TV21 Chief: How is the tower/power upgrade going? I had a lock on Wednesday and Thursday but not last night. Was it just the atmospheric conditions or were you running the DT higher on the tower and/or higher power those days?

Wednesday the signal was right on the threshhold for locking (62-66 with no drop), however Thursday was even stronger (in the 90's). Friday the signal was back to 70 - 0 - 53 - 0...

Still working on it. You probably had 2 good nights for atmospherics. Probably sometime Oct. 1 to Oct. 4 before I get up to licensed power.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21CHIEF View Post

Still working on it. You probably had 2 good nights for atmospherics. Probably sometime Oct. 1 to Oct. 4 before I get up to licensed power.

Thanks! I'm surprised that it was the atmosphere that helped your signal to lock out here since no other distant station was coming in stronger than normal - not even your analog 21, which I use a gague to determine if I had a shot of getting your DT signal. Keep in mind that I'm fighting of WOIO's analog signal which beats against your analog 21. With your DT on 20 I'm sure the overabundant presence of ch 19 can't help matters. Fortunately Youngstown is almost a perfect 90 degrees off axis from the WOIO tower, but at just a little bit over 1 mile the RFI has to be extremely strong (although 55 is the only station that comes in on channels it's not supposed to).
Old 09-23-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:

I was as surprised as you over WKBN's decision to carry the Steelers over the Browns. Perhaps they are testing the waters to see if there really are some Browns fans in the Youngstown market who cannot get WOIO. Another reason may be to keep what little bit of PA in their market. They lost Armstrong County (i.e. New Castle) to the Pittsburgh DMA several years ago, they want to hold onto Mercer County. BTW: According to one of the station engineers who posts here, the Pittsburgh DMA is trying to claim Columbiana County Ohio and the Cleveland DMA is trying for Trumbull County. That would put the Youngstown DMA in the same low ranking as Lima OH.

Well here's hoping Trumbull County goes to the Cleveland DMA. I am sick of WKBN showing the Steelers over the Browns. It happens a few times a year. Anyone have a number to call to complain to the station?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:22 AM

I don't understand why they would realign Trumbull and Columbiana county without disolving the entire market itself. To take out the Warren and Salem/East Liverpool area, the Youngstown stations would serve little purpose since a good portion or the ad dollars and viewers would be elsewhere and it would be a 2 county market. I have heard this rumor and the at some point will happen rumor of disolving the Wheeling-Stubenville market into the Pittsburgh DMA. The Wheeling area went from 150 to 154 effective this season so this is good bet. If this did occur could one of the Wheeling stations be move into Youngstown and the other be moved into Pittsburgh to give Youngstown 4 full power stations and Pittsburgh another station?

I have also heard Raycom owners of WOIO/WUAB is/was interested in buying WKBN/WYFX and made a visit to the station a few months ago. If the Youngstown market was completly dissolved, the Youngstown stations could become like Alantic city area where it has a local NBC station (WMGM ) but is really apart of the Philadelphia DMA. Giving Mercer, and Columbiana to Pittsburgh and Mahoning and Trumbull to the Cleveland DMA, it would give what the station owners in bothe Cleveland and Pittsburgh what they really want in letting them regain the lost viewers who over the past couple of years who have moved into Columbiana and Trumbull counties and commute to the big city everyday.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:26 AM

Well I hope CBS blocks any attempt of Raycom to buy WKBN. They aren't happy with them as their Cleveland affiliate.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark8777 View Post

Well I hope CBS blocks any attempt of Raycom to buy WKBN. They aren't happy with them as their Cleveland affiliate.

I second that emotion. It's bad enough that NE Ohio has one screwed up CBS affiliate. At least some of us have the option of tuning into WKBN when we get sick of the garbage on WOIO.

Unfortunately, I don't know if CBS would have any "pull" in this sale. They can't exactly threaten to pull affiliation - where else would they go in Y-town?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:11 AM

I hope that WKBN does not get sold to Raycrap. If it oes it will go down hill fast and will runion a station that is decent and if this happens everyone in the Mahoning/Shenago valley better watch out for a tabloid in your face news we coming to get you for fast ratings boost and we don't care how its done just as long it is done product. I'm sure CBS could find something even if they were to try to have WTRF move into the DMA. West Virginia media holdings (WTRF's owners)could in theory sell ch 7 to a different company and then they try to move it into the Youngstown area (somewhere maybe in the Rogers area) and base the move on a economic hardship in the Wheeling area and make it a CBS station and then WKBN could become a full power FOX station and 17/62 could either go independent, join the I network, or just shut off.

This BTW is how Pittsburgh got WPCW (formely WNPA) out of Johnstown and into the Pittsburgh area was by using the poor economic conditions of the region and the fact that WNPA would work better as a rim-shop WB then UPN now CW station serving the greater Pittsburgh area. That and the fact Johnstown could not support 5 full power stations. OMW (Ohio Media watch brought up the possible sale of WKBN and WYFX when the Raycom execs were in town to clean up the mess with the browns wanting off WOIO : http://ohiomedia.blogspot.com/2006_0...a_archive.html (about half way down the page)
Old 09-25-2006, 05:50 AM

Well The Wb might keep the website up since it has different pictures and stuff other then the cw. I don't see why not! They can keep it up just for the summarys and what not.

Teenager CW / WB Lover
Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Perhaps it would be best to make all of NE Ohio one happy market area, and the Youngstown stations become a part of it. What is wrong with that? I mean, we have 2 PBS affiliates in the Cleveland market already, so what would be wrong with having the other networks from Youngstown join us? One thing I miss living here in Akron is that we don't have a local newscast anymore because Cleveland is the official city of the market area and takes over everything. And yes, WOIO news sucks. It would be nice to have the option of watching WKBN over that.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:45 PM

That would be the best thing that could ever happen to Youngstown-Warren TV. The only problem is does WKYC,WEWS,WJW,WOIO,WBNX,and WUAB want to share their respective networks with the Youngstown stations though? If the Youngstown DMA was collapsed with Cleveland, it would be great and make Youngstown feel a little larger and more apart of NE Ohio and more like a true suburb of Cleveland, but if that did occur, WFMJ/WBCB, WKBN/WYFX, WYTV/MY-YTV would probally lose their networks and be converted into either hope shopping, religious, or Spanish. I don't tink the big boys in Clevelaand would want to share their networks with the suburbian stations since that would cut into their viewership.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be the best thing that could ever happen to Youngstown-Warren TV. The only problem is does WKYC,WEWS,WJW,WOIO,WBNX,and WUAB want to share their respective networks with the Youngstown stations though? If the Youngstown DMA was collapsed with Cleveland, it would be great and make Youngstown feel a little larger and more apart of NE Ohio and more like a true suburb of Cleveland, but if that did occur, WFMJ/WBCB, WKBN/WYFX, WYTV/MY-YTV would probally lose their networks and be converted into either hope shopping, religious, or Spanish. I don't tink the big boys in Clevelaand would want to share their networks with the suburbian stations since that would cut into their viewership.

The "big network" affilliations would not have to leave the Youngstown stations if they were to dissolve Youngstown as a seperate DMA. After all we used to have 2 ABC affilliates in the Cleveland DMA (WAKR-23 in Akron).

OTOH if dissolving the Youngstown DMA meant losing the seperate NFL identiteis (i.e. yesterday I was able to watch 2 games on CBS thanks to my ability to watch both WKBN and WOIO - effectivly giving CBS a "double header" on a week when they did not have one scheduled) I'd be against it.

Here is the CBS "Doube header" in yellow and red http://www.gribblenation.net/nflmaps/03-CBS.gif
Every time I see a different color between the Cleveland and Yongstown DMA's on jpkirby's map I get to see an extra game.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:15 PM

On most trumbull county cable systems we already get stations from both Cleveland and Youngstown, so I don't see why these stations can't co-exist.
The problem is, the cable I have is horrible, and want to get a DBS. But on DBS I can only get the Youngstown market. Now why on cable can I get Cle and Young, but on DBS I can only get Youngstown. I would't really mind, except for the times that WKBN decides to air the Steelers over the Browns, and I think I'd miss FOX 8.

Also if last week was a FOX doubleheader, why was there only 1 game on WJW, and 2 on WYFX?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:09 PM

I just miss having an OTA news station here in Akron. It seems like Cleveland has sucked up everything good from Akron just because I am in that market area. I don't care about Cleveland news!! I live in Akron, and I rarely go to Cleveland anyways. Youngstown is about half the size of Akron, yet there are 3 news stations there, only because it is a separate market area. A TV station in Akron could possibly reach more people than an OTA station transmitter placed in Cleveland. A transmitter in Akron could easily reach Akron, Canton, Cleveland, and Youngstown all in one. So I'm wondering why it hasn't been successfully done. Maybe markets aren't a good way to describe our area. Perhaps it would just be best for stations to cover their OTA broadcast regions or the closest TV stations for rural (no OTA signal) areas. Ashtabula county, in my opinion, belongs to either Youngstown or Erie depending on which part of the county you're in. Cleveland's OTAs barely touch that county, yet it's in that market. The idea of markets has greatly shrunk the number of people that the Youngstown stations can reach. If I can get a Youngstown station OTA, which I can, then it should be provided by a local cable or satellite provider.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I actually hope they don't do anything at all, and leave it as is.

If they designate WKBN as a Cleveland station for the Browns games, that would be fine with me.

This is one of the big +'s to where I live.

Although I feel cable companies fleece the hell out of people, my local cable company(now Time Warner) gives me, in Mercer County:

1. KDKA(CBS) and WPGH(FOX)/Pittsburgh: Guaranteed to show all of the Steeler games during the regular season.

2. WKBN(CBS) and WYFX(FOX)/Youngstown: Usually shows the Browns, but then also shows alot of bonus games, depending on the schedule of the Steelers/Browns that week.

So typically I get, counting the primetime games on Sunday and Monday(but no NFL Network due to a contract dispute with the the NFL and Time Warner. I kinda agree with Time Warner on this one, believe it or not), about 5-6 different games a week for viewing. If we had the NFL network, it would increase per week(after week 10, of course)

Who needs the NFL " BEND OVER AND LET THEM RAPE YOU" Package from DirecTV? Certainly not myself here(I can understand it if you root for an out of town team though) in NW PA!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also if last week was a FOX doubleheader, why was there only 1 game on WJW, and 2 on WYFX?

This is due to this NFL rule: When a home game is televised locally, no other game can be televised at the same time. If this game was held in Baltimore then WJW would have been able to carry a "competing" game. WYFX, being from a different market was allowed to carry both games of the doubleheader.

My fear is if Yongstown gets absobed into the Cleveland DMA WYFX (and WKBN for that matter) might have to abide by the no competing game rule.

Youngstown is an overlapping Browns/Steelers market area as far as the NFL goes, so situations like last Sunday (the defacto CBS doubleheader) can happen as long as your cableco or OTA situation allows for reception of both market's stations. Thanks to WKBN's powerful DT signal it's possible to see that station way beyond the limits of the Youngstown DMA - in all directions!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:14 PM

WOAC-TV has a new owner Multicultural Broadcasting, new unit of Multicultural Radio Broadcasting : http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=Breaking+News and http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10810
Old 09-26-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:

WOAC-TV has a new owner Multicultural Broadcasting, new unit of Multicultural Radio Broadcasting : http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=Breaking+News and http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10810

This seems like just another WQHS. What a waste of airspace.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

This seems like just another WQHS. What a waste of airspace.

Maybe we should wait and see what they will actually be broadcasting before the condemnation begins?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

Maybe we should wait and see what they will actually be broadcasting before the condemnation begins?

ok, so u may have a point, but this situation seems a lot similar to another tv station i've seen in nw washington state (Vancouver area), KBCB-24, which is shopping/ethnic. if u can speak korean, chinese, japanese, vietnamese, or whatever language, then this may b of use to u. i can understand this being in nyc, los angeles, vancouver, toronto, or whatever multi-cultural area, but does our area have enough multicultural people to have a station like this?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

ok, so u may have a point, but this situation seems a lot similar to another tv station i've seen in nw washington state (Vancouver area), KBCB-24, which is shopping/ethnic. if u can speak korean, chinese, japanese, vietnamese, or whatever language, then this may b of use to u. i can understand this being in nyc, los angeles, vancouver, toronto, or whatever multi-cultural area, but does our area have enough multicultural people to have a station like this?

True but what if they air ethnic programming from say Italy, Germany, or Greece. Programs from these areas could do quite well since the Cleveland-Akron area has many people who came from these areas for a better life. Some of the older citizens can actually speak their native tounge so airing programs from these areas may work out well. They may also air programs in english as well since they are known for running "brokered programs" . ?So in theory they could sell airtime to who ever they like so it could be a good thing.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:

This is due to this NFL rule: When a home game is televised locally, no other game can be televised at the same time. If this game was held in Baltimore then WJW would have been able to carry a "competing" game. WYFX, being from a different market was allowed to carry both games of the doubleheader.

My fear is if Yongstown gets absobed into the Cleveland DMA WYFX (and WKBN for that matter) might have to abide by the no competing game rule.

Youngstown is an overlapping Browns/Steelers market area as far as the NFL goes, so situations like last Sunday (the defacto CBS doubleheader) can happen as long as your cableco or OTA situation allows for reception of both market's stations. Thanks to WKBN's powerful DT signal it's possible to see that station way beyond the limits of the Youngstown DMA - in all directions!

If Youngstown was to join the Cleveland DMA, couldn't the browns demand that WKBN carry the browns since in theory it would be a Cleveland station?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:

On most trumbull county cable systems we already get stations from both Cleveland and Youngstown, so I don't see why these stations can't co-exist.
The problem is, the cable I have is horrible, and want to get a DBS. But on DBS I can only get the Youngstown market. Now why on cable can I get Cle and Young, but on DBS I can only get Youngstown. I would't really mind, except for the times that WKBN decides to air the Steelers over the Browns, and I think I'd miss FOX 8.

I thought that WFMJ/WBCB, WKBN/WYFX, WYTV/MY-YTV, could only claim Mahoning county as exculsive and as a result the cable companies could only carry two out of town stations and Syndex was enforceable. That is why Armstrong Mahoning county cannot carry WKYC, and WOIO but the Trumbull county can. I would assume that the DBS locals package cannot carry out of town stations for the same reson but I might be wrong.