Youngstown, OH - HDTV - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #601 of 1954 Old 09-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Member
 
mavtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I just miss having an OTA news station here in Akron. It seems like Cleveland has sucked up everything good from Akron just because I am in that market area. I don't care about Cleveland news!! I live in Akron, and I rarely go to Cleveland anyways. Youngstown is about half the size of Akron, yet there are 3 news stations there, only because it is a separate market area. A TV station in Akron could possibly reach more people than an OTA station transmitter placed in Cleveland. A transmitter in Akron could easily reach Akron, Canton, Cleveland, and Youngstown all in one. So I'm wondering why it hasn't been successfully done. Maybe markets aren't a good way to describe our area. Perhaps it would just be best for stations to cover their OTA broadcast regions or the closest TV stations for rural (no OTA signal) areas. Ashtabula county, in my opinion, belongs to either Youngstown or Erie depending on which part of the county you're in. Cleveland's OTAs barely touch that county, yet it's in that market. The idea of markets has greatly shrunk the number of people that the Youngstown stations can reach. If I can get a Youngstown station OTA, which I can, then it should be provided by a local cable or satellite provider.

I agree with you but many in Cleveland see Akron, Canton, Ashtabula,Sandusky, Mansfield, and even Youngstown/Warren as suburbs and they are not needed other than to keep the Cleveland area a large market. Without the rest of Ne Ohio, Cleveland would be smallar than ST.Louis, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore. The problem is the Cleveland stations feel it would be very difficult to make money or get ratings off of an Akron/Canton newscast. The only reason ch 23 brought back its newscast was so Paxxon could get his signal into Cleveland though a signal upgrade. There is a market for news from Akron but how do you do it? You could take news from all over the area and rank it based on importance and then air it but in reality does someone from Parma or Strongsville care about what is going on in North Canton or Masslion? You could air so many minutes from each part of the area, but you risk losing viewers.

When it comes to Akron/Canton, you can look at the glass either half full or half empty. On one hand Akron is apart of a much larger market but with little or no local programming or being apart of a smallar market with more local programming and more independence.

With WOAC-TV you could have that but no one wants to take a shot and try to make a good independent station with a little of everything.
mavtv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #602 of 1954 Old 09-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Member
 
mavtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The future of WOAC programming is still undecided and the chief financial officer for MRBI is saying "It's too preliminary to discuss programming," . http://www.connpost.com/business/ci_4403944 and http://pressreleases.scripps.com/release/877 . One now can only guess what will air. Could we see a possible return of the ghoull/the son of ghoul via buying airtime? It seems the possibilities are now wide open.
mavtv is offline  
post #603 of 1954 Old 09-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

...The problem is the Cleveland stations feel it would be very difficult to make money or get ratings off of an Akron/Canton newscast... The only reason ch 23 brought back its newscast was so Paxxon could get his signal into Cleveland though a signal upgrade... There is a market for news from Akron but how do you do it? You could take news from all over the area and rank it based on importance and then air it but in reality does someone from Parma or Strongsville care about what is going on in North Canton or Masslion? You could air so many minutes from each part of the area, but you risk losing viewers...

With WOAC-TV you could have that but no one wants to take a shot and try to make a good independent station with a little of everything.

I don't think it is that Cleveland doesn't want to take the risk, it's just that they don't know how to go about doing it right. There has always been a demand for Akron/Canton news, and Pax 23 News has proven that. The reason that it's not on the air anymore isn't because it wasn't popular. They even expanded the news to twice each weekday. It's no longer on the air because of a stupid network decision. Akron/Canton is more than twice the size of the Youngstown area, yet there are 3 news stations in the Youngstown market with no problem. Just like Clevelanders don't care about Akron news, I don't care about Cleveland news. But the fact is that there are a lot of people who live here in the Akron/Canton area who would like to see local coverage, and I don't think that the Cleveland stations are doing it like they should. If Cleveland wants to claim Akron and Canton in their market area, then they should provide for us. It was suggested that WKYC air their 23 news production on their secondary channel (3-2), and I think that would be an excellent idea to bring back an OTA news. But the days of channel 23 having a news were nice because the transmitter was right in Akron for all of the locals to watch.

As far as the WOAC situation, I'm glad that it has been purchased, because there are a lot of possibilities. I didn't care for Shop at Home anyways. I just hope that it doesn't go down the tubes like a lot of good things here in Akron have.
Andrew K is offline  
post #604 of 1954 Old 09-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Member
 
mavtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I don't think it is that Cleveland doesn't want to take the risk, it's just that they don't know how to go about doing it right. There has always been a demand for Akron/Canton news, and Pax 23 News has proven that. The reason that it's not on the air anymore isn't because it wasn't popular. They even expanded the news to twice each weekday. It's no longer on the air because of a stupid network decision. Akron/Canton is more than twice the size of the Youngstown area, yet there are 3 news stations in the Youngstown market with no problem. Just like Clevelanders don't care about Akron news, I don't care about Cleveland news. But the fact is that there are a lot of people who live here in the Akron/Canton area who would like to see local coverage, and I don't think that the Cleveland stations are doing it like they should. If Cleveland wants to claim Akron and Canton in their market area, then they should provide for us. It was suggested that WKYC air their 23 news production on their secondary channel (3-2), and I think that would be an excellent idea to bring back an OTA news. But the days of channel 23 having a news were nice because the transmitter was right in Akron for all of the locals to watch.

As far as the WOAC situation, I'm glad that it has been purchased, because there are a lot of possibilities. I didn't care for Shop at Home anyways. I just hope that it doesn't go down the tubes like a lot of good things here in Akron have.

I thought that PAX took it off the air because they cut the JSA with WKYC. That is the problem there is a market for Akron-Canton news yet no where to air it. With digital TV why can't CH 3, CH 5, CH8, or CH19/43 start a digital subcarrrier that is a hybrid news weather sports public affairs type of channel for the whole area. Now with ch 3 they have the weather plus channel that could air rebroadcast of all of ch 3's news, akron 23 news, weather plus, local public affairs and hell Dr. Phil in there for good measure. With time warner being the dominate player in NE Ohio cable they could very easily find the room on analog but with ch 3 placing empasis on sports time ohio, it could be a little more work. I living in Youngstown always loved being able to find out what was going on in Akron by watching ch 23 and I can see how it is difficult without a local choice in news.

With WOAH/W35AX the cat and WIVM and WIVN, there would be the possibility of bringing local news to Akron/Canton. But you are right Cleveland should give the Akron/Canton area just as much local programming as they do the Cleveland area.

I think that WOAC-TV has potiental if the new owner can see the possibility of creating a station that can serve the greatest amount of people hopefully with a general entertainment format with shows that will appeal to everyone.
mavtv is offline  
post #605 of 1954 Old 09-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I remember reading an article in the Beacon Journal right around when Pax 23 News was ending OTA. It said somewhat to the effect that the reason for the news leaving OTA channel 23 was because the owner of Pax wanted to turn the network into a national platform of some kind. And this meant that basically local programming was removed from the network when it turned to "I".
Andrew K is offline  
post #606 of 1954 Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

With WOAH/W35AX the cat and WIVM and WIVN, there would be the possibility of bringing local news to Akron/Canton. But you are right Cleveland should give the Akron/Canton area just as much local programming as they do the Cleveland area.

Speaking of these low power stations, does anyone know what is expected to happen to them after the transition? I've asked this question on the Cleveland page, and no one responded. TV21Chief, do you know the answer to this??
Andrew K is offline  
post #607 of 1954 Old 09-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Member
 
mavtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

Speaking of these low power stations, does anyone know what is expected to happen to them after the transition? I've asked this question on the Cleveland page, and no one responded. TV21Chief, do you know the answer to this??

The low powers had the option of trying to file for a low power digital assignment when there was a filing window and I know that WNEO's Youngstown repeater W58AM ch 58 will be getting ch 44 and TBN's repeater W52CX ch 52 will be getting ch 32. After analog transmision ends in 2009, they will be the only ones left until they can find a channel or get the money to go digital.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=W58AM
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=W52CX

http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapg...4,redpin,W52CX[39]
http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapg...1,redpin,W52CX[39]
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Mass_Medi...s/ac020219.txt

What happens to WYFX? They still have not moved to ch 35 nor have they filled out a digital construction permit. I would love to see a full power FOX station in Youngstown and if the market could support it a independent or I network affiliate. I see that W56CL out of New Castle (not really apart of the Youngstown DMA but many sources list it from when Lawarance county was in the DMA) has new call letters WPCP-LP. If only they could move the station into Mahoning county we could have a independent that could carry additional programs. According to wikipedia,WPCP-LP's digital assignment is ch 17 the same as WFXI-CA ch 17 out of Mercer. Does this mean that Fox 17 will be getting a new home come 2009? WFXI moved from ch 40, to ch 31, and now 17 so could it been the low power stations will not make into the digital age?

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WYFX-LP
http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapg...redpin,WYFX-LP[35]

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WPCP-LP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBGN-LP
mavtv is offline  
post #608 of 1954 Old 09-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Member
 
TheBlackKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Canton, OH
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

Speaking of these low power stations, does anyone know what is expected to happen to them after the transition? I've asked this question on the Cleveland page, and no one responded. TV21Chief, do you know the answer to this??

Specifically, WAOH/WA35X and WIVM/WIVN have not filed with the FCC for digital assignments yet. I don't know what their plans are. I do know that Kaiser Bill Klaus runs a tight ship (read "low budget") at the CAT and his radio stations. I don't really know anything about the WIVM/WIVN ownership.

I would like to see both of these enterprises go digital. The CAT carries some of the OSU basketball games on weeknights (the only TV station in the market that does!) and WIVM carries Stark County high school football.
TheBlackKnight is offline  
post #609 of 1954 Old 09-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you live in the Youngstown area, then you probably haven't seen The Cat 35/29. Sometimes it has interesting programming, but you can tell that the owner is on a budget. They could at least get some screeners for the call-in shows. The rudest and trashiest people call in and have fun ridiculing the hosts, and this makes it very unprofessional and hard to watch. I can imagine that it's very expensive for a station to make the switch to digital, that is why we probably haven't heard about The Cat making that switch.
Andrew K is offline  
post #610 of 1954 Old 09-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Member
 
mavtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

If you live in the Youngstown area, then you probably haven't seen The Cat 35/29. Sometimes it has interesting programming, but you can tell that the owner is on a budget. They could at least get some screeners for the call-in shows. The rudest and trashiest people call in and have fun ridiculing the hosts, and this makes it very unprofessional and hard to watch. I can imagine that it's very expensive for a station to make the switch to digital, that is why we probably haven't heard about The Cat making that switch.

I actually seen the "A" in CAT from a relatives house near Akron and I have to say what a cheap station. At least WNIR (which can be heard in Youngstown makes a little effort) why can't they do the same with the TV side. It seems that they don't care and like to think that the 2 LPTV and the 2 radio stations WNIR/WJMP are Cleveland as oposed to AKRON. This is why they ID WJMP-1520 as Kent-Akron, Cleveland. For a daytime one lung station that is a strech to say the least. Why the plain dealer lists the stations programs in their grid I will never know. But this was the same station that at some point rebroadcasted news from ch 19 so something must be wrong.

They run programs from America One and until it went bellie up Urban American TV. These two stations could try to fill a niche if they tried. And if what I heard on the 90&9 club is correct, WBNX is planning on starting a second sub-channel on WBNX-DT next April when they fire up the digtial channel. I know a few years ago on the public affirs program heart to heart with Annie @ Al, they mentioned the fact that they could with digital TV, program to different parts of the area like say a movie on on channel and a sporting event on another so who knows what they are planning. Here is an update on WBNX's digital timetable : http://www.wbnx.com/trends/


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAOH-LP
http://www.americaone.com/
http://www.uatvn.com/
mavtv is offline  
post #611 of 1954 Old 09-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I felt bad for the host when I was watching "Dining out with Steve" on The Cat, and someone called in and started calling the host a pig. The hosts don't deserve that. I know of another incident on the channel where someone called up and told the host that the program sucked. Who wants to watch that. The owner should at least put some effort forth for the viewers.

Knute Larson from the Chapel in Akron had a call-in show on the Cat, and the people who called in weren't very respectful and didn't seem too bright. He always seemed to handle them properly. I felt bad for him because I've met him personally, and he is such a nice person.

They need to screen their calls!!
Andrew K is offline  
post #612 of 1954 Old 09-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Member
 
mavtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I felt bad for the host when I was watching "Dining out with Steve" on The Cat, and someone called in and started calling the host a pig. The hosts don't deserve that. I know of another incident on the channel where someone called up and told the host that the program sucked. Who wants to watch that. The owner should at least put some effort forth for the viewers.

Knute Larson from the Chapel in Akron had a call-in show on the Cat, and the people who called in weren't very respectful and didn't seem too bright. He always seemed to handle them properly. I felt bad for him because I've met him personally, and he is such a nice person.

They need to screen their calls!!

It shows how mature some people can be. It also shows that Mediacom (owners of chs 29 @35) could care less about production values and screening equipment.
mavtv is offline  
post #613 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
slydog75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in Pa just across the Ohio border. Up until now I've been pulling in Pittsburgh locals exclusively. Unfortunately the CW Pittsburgh station is apparently actually broadcast out of Johnstown and I can't pull it in. Screwing around the other night I noticed I could pull in WFMJ out of Youngstown and that they are apparently airing CW as a subchannel. Without any adjustment at all it's coming in OK. However I'm not getting any program guide data for it (This is on a DirecTV HR10-250 Tivo). Is this an issue with my box or does the problem lie elsewhere? If I can start getting guide data, I'll fine tune my antenna and it should come in great. I mainly want it to get Smallville in HD.
slydog75 is offline  
post #614 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Michael P 2341's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Parma, OH
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75 View Post

I live in Pa just across the Ohio border. Up until now I've been pulling in Pittsburgh locals exclusively. Unfortunately the CW Pittsburgh station is apparently actually broadcast out of Johnstown and I can't pull it in. Screwing around the other night I noticed I could pull in WFMJ out of Youngstown and that they are apparently airing CW as a subchannel. Without any adjustment at all it's coming in OK. However I'm not getting any program guide data for it (This is on a DirecTV HR10-250 Tivo). Is this an issue with my box or does the problem lie elsewhere? If I can start getting guide data, I'll fine tune my antenna and it should come in great. I mainly want it to get Smallville in HD.

If the Direc TV box is anything lik the Dish Network boxes don't hold your breath waiting fo guide data. You are lucky if the main channel's guide dat shows up!

BTW: The "Johnstown" station you are referring to (ch 19) was moved to Jeanette PA, which is inside the Pittsburgh DMA. They do not have their digital signal on the air yet which is the real reason why you can't receive the signal.
Michael P 2341 is offline  
post #615 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Member
 
theshark8777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newton Falls, OH
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also the Youngstown CW station is not HD, since it is a subchannel.
theshark8777 is offline  
post #616 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
slydog75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

If the Direc TV box is anything lik the Dish Network boxes don't hold your breath waiting fo guide data. You are lucky if the main channel's guide dat shows up!

BTW: The "Johnstown" station you are referring to (ch 19) was moved to Jeanette PA, which is inside the Pittsburgh DMA. They do not have their digital signal on the air yet which is the real reason why you can't receive the signal.


The HR10-250 (DirecTV HD DVR w/ Tivo) isn't to slow. They also JUST released a software update that sped things up considerably. All my other OTA channels guide data is fine.

Ok,so CW is going to be broadcasting out of Jeanette now? When is that supposed to go live for digital? Looking at a map it's doubtfull I'll be able to pick up Jeannette though either.
slydog75 is offline  
post #617 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Member
 
slydog75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark8777 View Post

Also the Youngstown CW station is not HD, since it is a subchannel.

I could have sworn America's Next Top Model (I think that's what it was) was in Hi Def when I was flipping through the channels last night and testing out CW. It was definetely in 16:9 aspect ratio at the very least and the pick looked pretty good.
slydog75 is offline  
post #618 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
slydog75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK,this is interesting. I actually have TWO channels listed as 21-2. One is named WFMJ-DT2 (which has guide data) and the other is named WBCB and does not have guide data. Currently both 21-2 channels are playing the same feed. Any clue what's going on here?
slydog75 is offline  
post #619 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 02:14 PM
 
TV21CHIEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75 View Post

OK,this is interesting. I actually have TWO channels listed as 21-2. One is named WFMJ-DT2 (which has guide data) and the other is named WBCB and does not have guide data. Currently both 21-2 channels are playing the same feed. Any clue what's going on here?

That's odd. I have no idea where the -DT2 comes from. However, I sent DirecTV my PIDS this week for the CW. Is there any chance one of the -2's is LIL? I'd bet it's the -DT2.
TV21CHIEF is offline  
post #620 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
 
slydog75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21CHIEF View Post

That's odd. I have no idea where the -DT2 comes from. However, I sent DirecTV my PIDS this week for the CW. Is there any chance one of the -2's is LIL? I'd bet it's the -DT2.

I LOVE that so many engineers from various stations frequent these boards. I'd love to answer your question, but I'm not sure what LIL is. Also, are any of the programs on WBCB going to be HD? Mainly Smallville and Supernatural?
slydog75 is offline  
post #621 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 02:38 PM
 
TV21CHIEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75 View Post

I LOVE that so many engineers from various stations frequent these boards. I'd love to answer your question, but I'm not sure what LIL is. Also, are any of the programs on WBCB going to be HD? Mainly Smallville and Supernatural?

LIL=Local Into Local. Are you getting the local OTA stations through the satellite and not via antenna? I think they finally got WBCB going. I'm told a lot of people were asking for it.

I can't do HD on the sub channel, sorry.
TV21CHIEF is offline  
post #622 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Member
 
mavtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

If the Direc TV box is anything lik the Dish Network boxes don't hold your breath waiting fo guide data. You are lucky if the main channel's guide dat shows up!

BTW: The "Johnstown" station you are referring to (ch 19) was moved to Jeanette PA, which is inside the Pittsburgh DMA. They do not have their digital signal on the air yet which is the real reason why you can't receive the signal.

Actually Jeanette is not to far from the Johnstown DMA. The can still put a city grade signal into Johnstown. In fact ch 19 cannot reach into the city itsself and has a repeater WBPA-LP on ch 30 that covers the city its self. Why WPCW is not place on one of KDKA's sub channel in SD until WPCW is fired up is beyond me but who is for me to wonder.

http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapg...redpin,WBPA-LP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPCW
mavtv is offline  
post #623 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
firemantom26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wintersville Ohio
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

Actually Jeanette is not to far from the Johnstown DMA. The can still put a city grade signal into Johnstown. In fact ch 19 cannot reach into the city itsself and has a repeater WBPA-LP on ch 30 that covers the city its self. Why WPCW is not place on one of KDKA's sub channel in SD until WPCW is fired up is beyond me but who is for me to wonder.

http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapg...redpin,WBPA-LP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPCW



Rob Owen TV Q&A from September 22, 2006

Q: Yet another question about the new CW network. I have a high-definition TV and have been enjoying watching over-the-air broadcasts in HD. Last season Channel 19 didn't have HD, but Channel 22 did. Now that the new CW network is on Channel 19, will they be broadcasting in high definition, or will I be forced to suffer through watching "Supernatural" in low-def? If they're not broadcasting in high definition, any idea when they'll start?


-- Rose, Pittsburgh

Rob: Get ready to suffer. And blame the government. WPCW Channel 19 is still awaiting permission from the FCC to begin construction that will make an HD signal available to local CW viewers.

Tom
firemantom26 is offline  
post #624 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Member
 
mavtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post

Rob Owen TV Q&A from September 22, 2006

Q: Yet another question about the new CW network. I have a high-definition TV and have been enjoying watching over-the-air broadcasts in HD. Last season Channel 19 didn't have HD, but Channel 22 did. Now that the new CW network is on Channel 19, will they be broadcasting in high definition, or will I be forced to suffer through watching "Supernatural" in low-def? If they're not broadcasting in high definition, any idea when they'll start?


-- Rose, Pittsburgh

Rob: Get ready to suffer. And blame the government. WPCW Channel 19 is still awaiting permission from the FCC to begin construction that will make an HD signal available to local CW viewers.

As of right now WPCW ch 19 out of Pittsburgh and WBNX ch 55 out of Cleveland has no digital signal up whatsoever. What was CBS/Warner bros thinking when they awarded the networks? It seems that WBCB in a way has to cover the Eastern portion of the Cleveland DMA and the Western portion of the Pittsburgh DMA, and then there is no HD so if you have a digital TV you are out of luck.

Give it to the network owned station and the televangelist and hope it will work out for the best. It semms that some thought would have went into who could get the best coveage and reach the most possible viewers but then again they did give WKRC in Cincinnati the cw and thought that it would be best to let them figure out how to get onto the time warner cable system when they had the ability to ensure the new CBS + warner network would be seen on a analog tier of a corporate cousin but chose not to. If you read some of the posts at the cw lounge : http://www.cwtv.com/lounge you will see that cbs/warner did one good job of making sure the viewer is confused and is unable to find their favorite WB/upn shows in addition to having more coverage holes than once thought. This is why many cw shows have been illegally uploaded to you tube via dedicated fans so people who have no access to the new cw can see their favorite shows.

In the case of Pittsburgh, they could do what they do with WBCB and place it on a subcarrier of KDKA or even better sell WPCW and try to purshase WQEX or even swap ch 19 for ch 16 since WQEX has a full power in market analog/digital signal and either make ch 19 an home shopping station (america's store) or a second PBS since WQED (WQEX's owners) could use the money.
mavtv is offline  
post #625 of 1954 Old 09-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
firemantom26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wintersville Ohio
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

As of right now WPCW ch 19 out of Pittsburgh and WBNX ch 55 out of Cleveland has no digital signal up whatsoever. What was CBS/Warner bros thinking when they awarded the networks? It seems that WBCB in a way has to cover the Eastern portion of the Cleveland DMA and the Western portion of the Pittsburgh DMA, and then there is no HD so if you have a digital TV you are out of luck.

Give it to the network owned station and the televangelist and hope it will work out for the best. It semms that some thought would have went into who could get the best coveage and reach the most possible viewers but then again they did give WKRC in Cincinnati the cw and thought that it would be best to let them figure out how to get onto the time warner cable system when they had the ability to ensure the new CBS + warner network would be seen on a analog tier of a corporate cousin but chose not to. If you read some of the posts at the cw lounge : http://www.cwtv.com/lounge you will see that cbs/warner did one good job of making sure the viewer is confused and is unable to find their favorite WB/upn shows in addition to having more coverage holes than once thought. This is why many cw shows have been illegally uploaded to you tube via dedicated fans so people who have no access to the new cw can see their favorite shows.

In the case of Pittsburgh, they could do what they do with WBCB and place it on a subcarrier of KDKA or even better sell WPCW and try to purshase WQEX or even swap ch 19 for ch 16 since WQEX has a full power in market analog/digital signal and either make ch 19 an home shopping station (america's store) or a second PBS since WQED (WQEX's owners) could use the money.


Not a bad idea.

Tom
firemantom26 is offline  
post #626 of 1954 Old 10-01-2006, 04:00 AM
Member
 
fmcomputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was just wondering about WFMJ DT - I live about 10 miles from station and can not lock a signal OTA - goes to 98 then to 0 - Other locals 27 & 33 no problem

Fred
fmcomputer is offline  
post #627 of 1954 Old 10-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
 
slydog75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any plans currently for WBCB to being broadcasting on it's own channel in HD?
slydog75 is offline  
post #628 of 1954 Old 10-01-2006, 09:43 AM
 
TV21CHIEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcomputer View Post

I was just wondering about WFMJ DT - I live about 10 miles from station and can not lock a signal OTA - goes to 98 then to 0 - Other locals 27 & 33 no problem

Fred

I live 6 air miles away, get it no problem with a broken outdoor antenna pointing east. 98 - 0 sounds like a multipath issue. What are you using for an antenna?
TV21CHIEF is offline  
post #629 of 1954 Old 10-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Member
 
theshark8777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newton Falls, OH
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live probably 20-30 (just a guess) from the transmitter, and I have no problem locking it in. All I'm using is an indoor antenna. I can pick up all Youngstown stations fine. Not WNEO anymore tho, weird.
theshark8777 is offline  
post #630 of 1954 Old 10-01-2006, 09:45 AM
 
TV21CHIEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75 View Post

Are there any plans currently for WBCB to being broadcasting on it's own channel in HD?

No. There aren't any channels to go to in this area, and the current rules won't let us have more than one license in a market.
TV21CHIEF is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off