Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1952 Old 12-21-2006, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiScott View Post

Ok I have basic Time Warner Cable in the hermitage pa area and on my channel 7 is WUAB the new My tv network which sucks but last night around 8pm I decied to see what the old UPN station was about now and I turned the channel on to find text something about FCC and this affilate and down at the bottom was the Time Warner Cable sign. When I turned the channel on about 5 mins ago Maury was on. So what does this mean? Is WUAB not showing My tv network prime time?

Also I just want to thank all of the WBCB WFMJ workers for not making my CW turn off or just off while prime time is on like it had done before. A couple weeks ago my tv guide channel listings had WBCB as channel 14 and WPMY as channel 17. From what I called last year my cable company they said I'm not suppose to have WBCB so I'm not calling them anymore.

WUAB-TV is Cleveland's my network TV affiliate, WPMY is Pittsburgh's my network TV affiliate, and MY-YTV is Youngstown's my network TV affiliate. Hermitge is considered a part of Youngstown DMA and by many in the media business looks at Hermitge and Sharon as being considered Youngstown north. Time Warner should be allowed to carry WUAB inculding primetime since Mercer county can carry out of town channels and WUAB has signicant viewing status which means a cable company can carry them.

I think it is odd that MY-YTV cannot be seen on Heritage basic cable yet they have billboards thoughtout the area promoting their programming inculding one near quaker stake and lube in Sharon. As for MY-TV, you are not missing anything unless you like poorly produced Mexican dramas. WYTV has probally realized that without Time Warner subscribers viewing MY-YTV, the channel is offically a failure andnow understand the power of blacking out prime time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1952 Old 12-21-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

No, but in some cases they desirability of the programming makes it attractive for cable to carry anyway, or the main channel may try to tie carriage of the subchannel into their retrans agreements wit the cableco's and satco's.

Alot of times it becomes a package deal where they offer to carry both signals in exchange for a station buying advertising on cable channels , or local programming carried. The Armstriong system here in Mahoning county a good portion of the ads on the cable networks like CNN and ABC Family are from WYTV,WKBN,WFMJ. And WKBN produces a news update at the top and bottom of the hour on Headline news I know for MY-YTV to get a basic channel position, they agreed to purshase cable advertising and I do believe that is why WKBN produces the local updates on headline news.
post #903 of 1952 Old 12-21-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Hermitage is in the Youngstown DMA so whoever told you that you should not be getting WBCB is wrong! If you were in Lawrence County the statment would have been true since Neilsen switched that county from Youngstown to Pittsburgh (with an asumed significantly viewed status for Youngstown - it should have been the other way around since the Youngstown stations cover the New Castle area better than the Pitttsburgh stations ever could).

Don't blame "the WBCB WFMJ workers" - the preemptions happen at the cable head end and the cable company is just following Syndex rules. Evideltly another MyNetwork TV station is asking for Syndex protection form WUAB. Your local MyNetwork TV station is the subchannel for WYTV (MyYTV). I'm not sure if they could even request Syndex protection since it's just a subchannel. WPMY may be the real culpret here - that an the possibility that your cable company may be straddled over the DMA boundry (i.e. they may be serving parts of Armstrong County) in which case WPMY does have Syndex rights over WUAB. Unfortunately you may be blocked needlessly.

The reason was that the Cleveland CAVS were playing and the game was subject to blackout. Since the game was being simulcast on FOX Sports OHIO and WUAB, in addition to having nationwide coverage on ESPN, Time Warner was unable to show it on WUAB. WUAB signed a deal with FOX Sports OHIO to simulcast 5 regular season games with FOX sports Ohio, that with the fact ESPN has a contract with the NBA to carry games and that is why WUAB was blacked out.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/multimedia/broadcast.html
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/tv...nt_060830.html
post #904 of 1952 Old 12-21-2006, 11:33 AM

Oh ok thanks but I seen the FCC thing a couple of times. oh well and I'm sorry i wasn't trying to blame the workers was only saying that after me calling them like a million times my tv works

Teenager CW / WB Lover
post #905 of 1952 Old 12-22-2006, 10:23 AM

A lady at the TWC in Hermitage told me that they are required to block WUAB's MY-TV signal because of some agreement in place with Youngstown's MY-TV. She didn't have any answer to why we don't get MY-TV from Youngstown on basic cable instead of WUAB, and she didn't have an answer as to why they would block something that most of their subscribers don't get. She said that when TW decides when they're changing Western PA's cable over, they'll issue explanations as to losing the Pittsburgh stations and why some stations are blocked at certain times.
post #906 of 1952 Old 12-22-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero69 View Post

A lady at the TWC in Hermitage told me that they are required to block WUAB's MY-TV signal because of some agreement in place with Youngstown's MY-TV. She didn't have any answer to why we don't get MY-TV from Youngstown on basic cable instead of WUAB, and she didn't have an answer as to why they would block something that most of their subscribers don't get. She said that when TW decides when they're changing Western PA's cable over, they'll issue explanations as to losing the Pittsburgh stations and why some stations are blocked at certain times.

I would not be shocked that WYTV is playing hard ball to keep WUAB blocked off. But on Wed nite WUAB was airing a CAVS game and since NBA games are subject to blackout, that was an easy double punch. I would assume WYTV has somehow claimed Mercer county as exclusive. I do belive when WYFX/WFXI signed on, GOCOM did the same thing to protect the FOX network for the Youngstown DMA.

Could this mean MY-YTV is a failure? It seems without TWC, they are not making much if anything in terms of revenue or profits. Currently, for the people news talk show is in repeats,the second run of martha has been replaced with repeats of Quincy, and most of he advertising is sponsored by the United way or the Debartlo company. Could WYTV like they have done in the past cut back on local programming or add more paid programming? It seems that ch 33 gets in over their head and then cut back due to rising costs. In the mid 90's they had to cut 24 hour programming and for a while cut their morning program daybreak 33 so it could be possible they may have some money issues due to the new studio, new channel, and low ad revenue.
post #907 of 1952 Old 12-23-2006, 10:15 AM

Stan Boney's hairspray budget must bankrupt them alone.

I think it's unfortunate that any channel would play hardball to keep another channel off. If I could get WTAE or any other ABC station over an antenna, I'd never watch 33 again.
post #908 of 1952 Old 12-24-2006, 10:08 PM

WYTV ought to do something about their weak signal and perhaps that would help them.
post #909 of 1952 Old 12-25-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Stan Boney's hairspray budget must bankrupt them alone.

I think it's unfortunate that any channel would play hardball to keep another channel off. If I could get WTAE or any other ABC station over an antenna, I'd never watch 33 again.

I quess they think hairspray is cheaper than plugging hats on the 6 PM news!
post #910 of 1952 Old 12-25-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akron05 View Post

WYTV ought to do something about their weak signal and perhaps that would help them.

You are right they should. I would quess that after analog shutdown, they may go for a power upgrade. Out of the big three in Youngstown, they have the most potiental in terms of scheduling, and networks where they could be a real player if they would just think outside of the box. No offense to either WFMJ or WKBN, but 33 has that potiental if they just take advandage of it. Now that the FCC is requring all DTV subcarriers inculding weather radar channels to carry at least 3 hours of E/I, I wonder what the 33 weather on the 3's channel will carry?
post #911 of 1952 Old 12-25-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:

I did some screen captures from my TV card. This is with a medium VHF/UHF rooftop antenna, with a rotor, from a slightly lower than average elevation in east Akron. The HD pics are from last week when it still worked. Analogs are from today, the analog still works although I get zip, nada, zilch on the ATSC portion. When the digital part of the card worked I was getting WKBN-DT. The analogs are typical days like tonight. Last night the reception was clearer.

WJW HD - http://i16.tinypic.com/2j5lyew.jpg
WFMJ analog - http://i12.tinypic.com/2rwxi07.jpg
WYTV analog - this is about as good as it normally gets - http://i10.tinypic.com/2u9mvdw.jpg
WKBN analog - http://i10.tinypic.com/2h699ag.jpg

FOX 8 doesn't look to bad, WFMJ analog looks like me trying to get WVPX in Youngstown, WYTV looks like me tring to get WVIZ, and WKBN looks like me trying to get FOX 8 from Youngstown. I can see that WKBN has the best signal. I bet that is helpful during football season.
post #912 of 1952 Old 12-25-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

FOX 8 doesn't look to bad, WFMJ analog looks like me trying to get WVPX in Youngstown, WYTV looks like me tring to get WVIZ, and WKBN looks like me trying to get FOX 8 from Youngstown. I can see that WKBN has the best signal. I bet that is helpful during football season.

I was also able to get WKBN-DT when the digital portion of my TV card was working. No captures though.
post #913 of 1952 Old 12-25-2006, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

You are right they should. I would quess that after analog shutdown, they may go for a power upgrade. Out of the big three in Youngstown, they have the most potiental in terms of scheduling, and networks where they could be a real player if they would just think outside of the box. No offense to either WFMJ or WKBN, but 33 has that potiental if they just take advandage of it. Now that the FCC is requring all DTV subcarriers inculding weather radar channels to carry at least 3 hours of E/I, I wonder what the 33 weather on the 3's channel will carry?

3 hourse of E/I programming?????????? I wonder why WKYC's subchannel 3-2 won't air the Akron/Canton news then.
post #914 of 1952 Old 12-25-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

3 hourse of E/I programming?????????? I wonder why WKYC's subchannel 3-2 won't air the Akron/Canton news then.

I woundn't be suprised if before 2009 3-2 doesn't become news/weather. Could Gannett be holding out because of their involvement with sports time ohio and their partial ownership of fastpitch productions which produces the Indian games. It would seem that a news/weather/public affiars channel would be cost effective and offer viewers a choice in addition to a niche that no Cleveland broadcaster or cable operator currently offers. At one point Gannett was planning on airing the Cleveland city consul meetings so offering live news for Akron/Canton in addition to rebroadcast of other ch 3 news would make sense. Many of the ABC O&O's already offera public affairs/news channel. WTVG in Toledo does it on DT2 and they offer rebroadcast of ABC news programming in addition to other locally produced programming andsome sports from ESPN+. http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?se...ngs&id=3639828

The FCC and the Parent Children's Television council (who sucked out the joy and fun of children's programming) feel that children's programming should be on all carriers even if it is repeats of what is on the other carriers.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...Fi+programming
post #915 of 1952 Old 12-25-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I SHOULD know this, but don't. What's E/I programming?
post #916 of 1952 Old 12-25-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:

I SHOULD know this, but don't. What's E/I programming?

EDUCATIONAL/Informative programming. Programming that teaches and informs children. Shows like beakman's world, and the new zoo revue. Any children's show that shows the E/I bug is considered to qualify. Most of the programs that commerical broadcasters air are nature shows, but some like WBCB air programs from DIC and kids wb, WYTV airs ABC kids, WYFX airs beakman's world and nature shows, and WFMJ air qubo. MY-YTV airs Kid Guides, Real Life 101, Ultimate Choice., and wild america. Most of these programs are very cheap and are not like the classic local/ cartoons of the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E/I
http://www.dicentertainment.com/dic_kids_network/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qubo
http://www.tvsco.com/video2/kidsguide.wmv
post #917 of 1952 Old 12-31-2006, 10:28 AM

Why would WKBN show the Browns vs Texans today when there is a much more interesting matchup with the Steelers vs Bengals?

Is WKBN obligated to show the Browns when they are on the road or something?
post #918 of 1952 Old 12-31-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerboy View Post

Why would WKBN show the Browns vs Texans today when there is a much more interesting matchup with the Steelers vs Bengals?

Is WKBN obligated to show the Browns when they are on the road or something?

I would rather watch a meaningless Browns game over a Steelers game anyday.
post #919 of 1952 Old 12-31-2006, 12:12 PM

And I'd rather watch dog poop turn white than watch a Browns game, but that's beside the point.

WKBN needs to make public why games are selected over other games. Their coverage is Ohio and Pennsylvania, and living in PA, I think it's unfair I won't be able to watch a Steelers game even though I live closer to Pittsburgh than Cleveland. But fairness doesn't seem to matter to the FCC or television in general.

I would think that if WKBN is going to turn to the Cleveland DMA, that they should just state they won't air Pittsburgh/New Castle/Hermitage news and programming and end it. They're playing games right now, as far as I'm concerned, to get sponsors.

Its unfortunate that "free" tv broadcasts are subject to so many rules restricting who they can be free to.
post #920 of 1952 Old 12-31-2006, 12:16 PM

We have had this discussion before, and it is all in the hands of the NFL.
Youngstown is still in Ohio, and up until a year or 2 ago they never showed Pittsburgh games over Cleveland. It all is controlled by the NFL. I agree though, the way it swtiches from week to week makes it hard to keep up with. The NFL makes WKBN carry Cleveland games if Pittsburgh is at home and vice versa. Now like this week when they are both away or both at home, I don't know what makes the decision.

(and for every Browns fan in the WKBN viewing area, there is a Steelers fan saying just the opposite, no WKBN can't win, either way they are going to upset half their viewers. Although I must say this game on now is horrible.)
post #921 of 1952 Old 12-31-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Their coverage is Ohio and Pennsylvania, and living in PA, I think it's unfair I won't be able to watch a Steelers game even though I live closer to Pittsburgh than Cleveland. .

And what about the people like me who are in the Youngstown DMA but live closer to Cleveland than Pittsburgh? How is that fair to us then?
post #922 of 1952 Old 12-31-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark8777 View Post

And what about the people like me who are in the Youngstown DMA but live closer to Cleveland than Pittsburgh? How is that fair to us then?

I'm pointing out that, just like you said, there's one Steelers fan for every one Browns fan. It's not fair to either team to play both sides. If WKBN was in Mercer, for instance, and only showed Steelers games, there would be a lot of upset Browns fans who live in Western PA.

The NFL designates Youngstown as a "pick'em" market. If they went by location of the broadcast tower, by a few feet, it would be a Steelers market. I'm not saying Browns fans don't matter, because they do. My point was that it's unfortunate that we have to suffer because of a network decision. WKBN should just declare one way or another.

Just as an aside, Mercer County is the one who's losing. Looking at distribution maps, they're the only county in PA who's locked into what Ohio does.
post #923 of 1952 Old 12-31-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I'm pointing out that, just like you said, there's one Steelers fan for every one Browns fan. It's not fair to either team to play both sides. If WKBN was in Mercer, for instance, and only showed Steelers games, there would be a lot of upset Browns fans who live in Western PA.

The NFL designates Youngstown as a "pick'em" market. If they went by location of the broadcast tower, by a few feet, it would be a Steelers market. I'm not saying Browns fans don't matter, because they do. My point was that it's unfortunate that we have to suffer because of a network decision. WKBN should just declare one way or another.

Just as an aside, Mercer County is the one who's losing. Looking at distribution maps, they're the only county in PA who's locked into what Ohio does.

I agree with you totally. It's annoying wondering every week whether your team is going to be on that Sunday. Like I said though, it used to always be the Browns, unless blacked out of course. So the Steelers fans thought it was a treat when they were on WKBN. Recently, however, it seems to be more of a toss up of who is going to be on. I just wonder if the Browns weren't as sorry as they are if the Steelers would be shown on WKBN or if it would be like it was all through the 90s and early 2000s. People close enough to get WOIO or KDKA at least have a choice of who they want to watch, while those with just WKBN never know what they are gonna get.
post #924 of 1952 Old 12-31-2006, 05:11 PM

I'm glad you're not mad, I wasn't attacking you. I've been severely annoyed, as the idiots running the cable company are raping us for money and taking off Pittsburgh stations. We'll get plenty of Cleveland stations in return, but that doesn't do us much good. As a Steelers fan, yes I want to see the Steelers. But as a football fan, I want to see different games. It won't do me any good if I turn on WKBN and they have the same game as WOIO. It doesn't create any interest in watching one channel over another if it's the same programming. If I didn't live in a TV-dead zone, I'd try to pull in Pittsburgh and/or Cleveland (possibly Erie as well) because they'd offer me a diverse number of games.

I'm actually a little shocked that the Youngstown stations aren't more diverse. There's a variety of local sports they could broadcast and produce themselves, but no one seems to do anything other than Youngstown State broadcasts. Seems to me there's a minor league baseball and hockey team right here, as well as other sports that could be lucrative to a sub-channel. Maybe I'm wrong...

Off the subject a little, have you ever checked out the gribblenation.net chart of what market gets what NFL game per week? It certainly tells a tale of markets and team followings.
post #925 of 1952 Old 12-31-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I also agree with you. In fact based on the physical location of WKBN's tower outside of height, it is about 60 mi from Pittsburgh as compaired to about 70 miles to Cleveland. If yoy count to the DMA line, it is less than 15 miles to New Castle. Effort needs to be made to have some sort of rule change where CBS can offer the other team to another station in the market like WBCB. Since WBCB is a second hand CBS network station (CBS offered PGA golf on a one time basis to them when ch 27 decided to air a steelers preseason game) and WFMJ has made some sort of partnership in CBS when they became Youngstown's CW. I know when the Browns/steelers was on NFL network last month, KDKA pushed the whole CBS primetime line up to WPCW in addition to when the steelers has a preseason game that conflicted with CBS programming (the same golf that WBCB aired).

How tight are the contracts and what if any thing can CBS/NFL do to make sure both Browns and Steelers fans are happy and when can see the games without going out or trying for the out of town stations?
post #926 of 1952 Old 12-31-2006, 06:36 PM

Found this from the Multicultural Radio Broadcasting website. A quote "After the completion of the acquisition, MRBI will be the largest Asian owned television group in the U.S" and the fact after the purshase is final, Multicultural will be the 8th largest station group in the US in terms of Percent of U.S. Household Covered. The transaction is expected to be completed over the next nine months pending license transfers and other approvals by the Federal Communications Commission.
If tgis is the case can we expect to see changes in programming by June? Here is the programming from new sister station KHIZ-TV in LA:

http://www.khiztv.com/programming/ and http://www.khiztv.com/programming/schedule/ .

If you look at the line-up there is hope. For one thing, there is some non paid/brokered programming such as kickboxing,Outdoorsman with Buck McNeely , Ultimate Poker Challenge,Judge Hatchett , and Eye for an Eye. Could there be a shot at least part of the day we have an english speaking independent?

MRBI Acquisition - Six Television Stations as a Percent of U.S. Household
Call Letters DMA Market City of License DMA
Market Rank DMA Households DMA as % of U.S.

WSAH-TV New York
Bridgeport, CT 1
6.692%

WMFP-TV Boston
Lawrence, MA
2.155%

KCNS-TV San Francisco
San Francisco, CA
2.137%

WOAC-TV Cleveland
Canton, OH
1.399%

WRAY-TV Raleigh-Durham
Wilson, NC
0.894%

KHIZ-TV Los Angeles
Barstow, CA

Asian Markets Penetration
Market Name Population % Asian All TV Households Market Rank by Asian Asian TV
Households Asian % of U.S.

New York, NY 8.0% 7,375,530 2 564,370 12.923%

San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA 21.4% 2,355,740 3 482,320 11.044%

Boston, MA 4.7% 2,375,310 11 102,730 2.352%

Raleigh-Durham, NC 2.5% 985,200 28 24,890 0.570%

Cleveland-Akron, OH 1.4% 1,541,780 30 20,460 0.468%

Los Angeles, CA 10.4% 5,536,430 1 669,390 15.327%

Total: 20,169,990 1,864,160 43.100%

Television Owners Ranked by Percent of U.S. Household Covered Total Coverage
Rank Owner % Cover Owner

1 37.975 Fox Television Broadcasting Incorporated
2 37.909 CBS TV
3 31.522 Ion Media Networks Inc.
4 31.276 NBC/GE
5 29.972 Tribune Co
6 23.338 ABC/Disney
7 23.151 Univision Communications Inc.
8 18.300 Multicultural TV Group (MRBI)
9 17.754 Gannett Co
10 16.958 Trinity Broadcasting Network
11 15.378 Hearst-Argyle TV Inc
12 13.238 Belo Corp
13 12.479 Sinclair Broadcasting Group
14 10.017 Cox Broadcasting
15 9.259 Media General Inc

http://www.mrbi.net/tvgroup.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KHIZ-TV

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/tvs..._id=1003157187

http://www.americaone.com/home.htm
post #927 of 1952 Old 01-01-2007, 11:27 AM

Watching the national championship on the joke of a digital station that is 17/62 is going to be painful.

It's absolutely unacceptable that an HD broadcast of that game will not be available locally.
post #928 of 1952 Old 01-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I'm glad you're not mad, I wasn't attacking you. I've been severely annoyed, as the idiots running the cable company are raping us for money and taking off Pittsburgh stations.

I am not mad at all, I totally understand where you are coming from. I feel the same way when the Browns aren't on. The thing is here most cable companies carry Youngstown and Cleveland stations, but the DBS' only carry Youngstown. I still donnot understand why if a cable company can carry both why a satellite can't.
post #929 of 1952 Old 01-01-2007, 11:51 AM

I believe the NFL should stop splitting up games based on AFC and NFC guidelines. There is no longer a need to do so. Make the Steelers a Fox property and make the Browns a CBS property..or vice versa. And eliminate the one doubleheader a week rule. Two games on both affiliates. Always.
post #930 of 1952 Old 01-01-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ArchStanton! View Post

I believe the NFL should stop splitting up games based on AFC and NFC guidelines. There is no longer a need to do so. Make the Steelers a Fox property and make the Browns a CBS property..or vice versa. And eliminate the one doubleheader a week rule. Two games on both affiliates. Always.

The networks would fight that tooth and nail due to ratings. Fox doesn't want to be locked out of some games, same with CBS. I learned that during my time in New York with the Giants and Jets. Even though the New York area teams share a market, there's a LARGE following of Patriots fans. Neither network wants to lose a share percentage because they're locked into home games. It also protects the ticket sales.

Another example is the Baltimore/Washington/Philadelphia contingent. People obviously would be happier if all the games were on TV with no problems. Networks wouldn't be due to the loss of potential sponsors and commercial time because of team commitments.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page