Youngstown, OH - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1958 Old 01-17-2007, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone check to see if their WBCB the CW is ok? I can't tell if its just my wire or if its also the feed?

Teenager CW / WB Lover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1958 Old 01-17-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiScott View Post

Can anyone check to see if their WBCB the CW is ok? I can't tell if its just my wire or if its also the feed?

As of right now 1:34 PM, WBCB is coming in fine on my cable system.
post #993 of 1958 Old 01-17-2007, 10:38 AM

thanks must be my bad cable and oh yeah its Hermitage

Teenager CW / WB Lover
post #994 of 1958 Old 01-17-2007, 01:03 PM

Ok I bought a new cable cord and put it on. It is a lot better but no The CW WBCB at 3:00pm- 4:00pm hour watching What I Like About You after fixing my cord it still had blacks lines going up and down horizontal still. It also has been jumping off and on I think it is the tape of The CW WBCB's clip that they get from the network. It also could be Time Watrner but whenever I call them they said it's WBCB's problem.

Also my ABC Family has little specks of stactic alm,ost like a sparkle through out some shows. I know this has nothing to do wityoungstown but just thoughtI let you know so maybe dsomeone will know if it's my cable.

Teenager CW / WB Lover
post #995 of 1958 Old 01-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Is this thread still alive?
post #996 of 1958 Old 01-25-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akron05 View Post

Is this thread still alive?

Yes its alive and watching WOAC-TV, we offically have a new TV station owner in the area. Multicultural has taken over and has replaced JTV and shop at home with paid programs with psa's in between. But thats not all!!! Looks like they are trying to drum up business with a 212 number asking if there was anyone intrested in buying airtime to promote their business on WOAC-TV. Station ID runs over the program 8 minutes late saying WOAC/WOAC-DT Canton Cleveland. Could we be ssing somw fresh programming soon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicultural_Television

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOAC

http://www.mrbi.net/tvgroup.htm
post #997 of 1958 Old 01-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiScott View Post

Ok I bought a new cable cord and put it on. It is a lot better but no The CW WBCB at 3:00pm- 4:00pm hour watching What I Like About You after fixing my cord it still had blacks lines going up and down horizontal still. It also has been jumping off and on I think it is the tape of The CW WBCB's clip that they get from the network. It also could be Time Watrner but whenever I call them they said it's WBCB's problem.

Also my ABC Family has little specks of stactic alm,ost like a sparkle through out some shows. I know this has nothing to do wityoungstown but just thoughtI let you know so maybe dsomeone will know if it's my cable.

You now can find full shows of select CW series here : http://video.cwtv.com/
post #998 of 1958 Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 PM

Can this be confirmed? If this is the case then NE Ohio has two Spanish stations.

Azteca America adds Boston, Cleveland
Azteca America has just signed and affiliated with WFXZ-CA (24) Boston (was HSN Network and is owned By Boston Broadcasting Corp.) and Commercial Broadcasting Corp.'s (Independent) WRAP-CA (32) in Cleveland, both low powers. Both of these stations have solid coverage in the core cities, where much of the Hispanic population is located. This rounds out the Top 25 markets for them. This is a major score for them, because Univision, Telemundo and Telefutura are already in Beantown. Cleveland only had Univision, WQHS-TV (61), for Hispanic television. WFXZ is located on the same tower as FOX-TV in Boston; WRAP is located on The Society General building, 25-30 stories high. Azteca America Spot TV Sales will most likely be adding these stations to their list as well.

http://www.rbr.com/tvepaper/issue140-06-gio.html

http://www.cleveland.com/pdspecials/...more/hugo.html
post #999 of 1958 Old 01-26-2007, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

Can this be confirmed? If this is the case then NE Ohio has two Spanish stations.

Azteca America adds Boston, Cleveland
Azteca America has just signed and affiliated with WFXZ-CA (24) Boston (was HSN Network and is owned By Boston Broadcasting Corp.) and Commercial Broadcasting Corp.'s (Independent) WRAP-CA (32) in Cleveland, both low powers. Both of these stations have solid coverage in the core cities, where much of the Hispanic population is located. This rounds out the Top 25 markets for them. This is a major score for them, because Univision, Telemundo and Telefutura are already in Beantown. Cleveland only had Univision, WQHS-TV (61), for Hispanic television. WFXZ is located on the same tower as FOX-TV in Boston; WRAP is located on The Society General building, 25-30 stories high. Azteca America Spot TV Sales will most likely be adding these stations to their list as well.

http://www.rbr.com/tvepaper/issue140-06-gio.html

http://www.cleveland.com/pdspecials/...more/hugo.html

You may want to put this on the Cleveland thread at...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=999&pp=30

I can't get WRAP-LP here in Akron. I don't know why Univision didn't utilize a LP station rather than wasting space on channel 61. Their targeted latino population is in the urban Cleveland area anyways.
post #1000 of 1958 Old 01-26-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I can't get WRAP-LP here in Akron. I don't know why Univision didn't utilize a LP station rather than wasting space on channel 61. Their targeted latino population is in the urban Cleveland area anyways.

Thanks I think I will.
post #1001 of 1958 Old 01-27-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I can't get one iota of channel 32. I do get a couple other Cleveland LP's though, W35AX 35 and WXOX 65 fairly well. On analog I also get the repeater of WDLI on ch. 51 better than I get actual WDLI, which surprises me since I'm much closer to WDLI's tower. Channel 17 has SO much snow and multipath regardless of antenna orientation. 51 doesn't.

I have no trouble with WDLI digital though.
post #1002 of 1958 Old 01-27-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:

I can't get one iota of channel 32. I do get a couple other Cleveland LP's though, W35AX 35 and WXOX 65 fairly well. On analog I also get the repeater of WDLI on ch. 51 better than I get actual WDLI, which surprises me since I'm much closer to WDLI's tower. Channel 17 has SO much snow and multipath regardless of antenna orientation. 51 doesn't.

I've never been able to get WRAP-CA here in Akron either. Most of their power is aimed east and west from downtown Cleveland...
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=CA232021.html

Their programming has always been crap anyways... MTV2 in the late '90s, then all infomercials, now Spanish (no hablo espanol). WRAP? didn't they mean CRAP?
post #1003 of 1958 Old 02-01-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm surprised you can get WXOX 65 in Akron. I live 1 mile from the WBNX tower which has no fewer than 3 LPTV's on the same stick (W35AX, W53AX, and WXOX). WXOX is very weak here, I think they pump more power into the tower lights than they do the transmitter. Do you get 53 too, it's Daystar? I saw a CP for WRAP, the new coordinates puts them on the WBNX tower too!
post #1004 of 1958 Old 02-02-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

I'm surprised you can get WXOX 65 in Akron. I live 1 mile from the WBNX tower which has no fewer than 3 LPTV's on the same stick (W35AX, W53AX, and WXOX). WXOX is very weak here, I think they pump more power into the tower lights than they do the transmitter. Do you get 53 too, it's Daystar? I saw a CP for WRAP, the new coordinates puts them on the WBNX tower too!

I live in the northern part of Akron. I can get a watchable signal on W35AX, and most of the city can get at least something from that. WXOX is too staticy to watch, but it can be detected by me and I'm sure even better by some around here with a little effort. The other Cleveland LP that reaches high areas of Akron is TBN 51. 53 and 32 aren't getting anywhere in Akron due to where their power is aimed.
post #1005 of 1958 Old 02-07-2007, 10:51 AM

I googled up Youngstown Digital Stations and found this forum. Thanks to all the posters in this forum, lots of wonderful info. I live in Oil City Pa; about 6 months ago I installed an outside antenna Radio Shack VU 190 XR, height 25 ft. Also bought their rotator and pre amp. I receive CH.21 with subs perfect, 24/7. I also receive 27 with subs; Super bowl was great in HD! Anyhow I just can't lock on 33 digital, I do get a good 33 analog signal. But, after reading everyone's posts pertaining to the power that 33 puts out I guess I will never be able to L. For some reason I get 21 with a stronger signal then I get 27. I receive Erie stations also, but they are all analog. At least that is all I receive, I do get PBS 54 digital. I read that Ch.12 Erie sends out a weak digital signal, must be like Ch.33
So TV21CHIEF & WKBN CHIEF, Keep up the good work! I will be watching
post #1006 of 1958 Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

I googled up Youngstown Digital Stations and found this forum. Thanks to all the posters in this forum, lots of wonderful info. I live in Oil City Pa; about 6 months ago I installed an outside antenna Radio Shack VU 190 XR, height 25 ft. Also bought their rotator and pre amp. I receive CH.21 with subs perfect, 24/7. I also receive 27 with subs; Super bowl was great in HD! Anyhow I just can't lock on 33 digital, I do get a good 33 analog signal. But, after reading everyone's posts pertaining to the power that 33 puts out I guess I will never be able to L. For some reason I get 21 with a stronger signal then I get 27. I receive Erie stations also, but they are all analog. At least that is all I receive, I do get PBS 54 digital. I read that Ch.12 Erie sends out a weak digital signal, must be like Ch.33
So TV21CHIEF & WKBN CHIEF, Keep up the good work! I will be watching

Thanks. Can you get 21 analog? You are actually in a null from my directional antenna to protect Toronto.

Oh Doc, say Hi to Wyatt for me, OK
post #1007 of 1958 Old 02-07-2007, 12:05 PM

TV21CHIEF,
Yes I can get 21 analog. What do you mean I am in a null? Please do not null me anymore. Toronto gives me grief with my KDKA signal.
post #1008 of 1958 Old 02-07-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

...Please do not null me anymore...

If you're getting both my analog and digital it doesn't matter. I guess I won't bother to turn the tower about 20 degrees then.
post #1009 of 1958 Old 02-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Give it a little turn, analog is a little grainy, digital is great!
post #1010 of 1958 Old 02-07-2007, 03:43 PM

OH damn Youngstown is the new Erie PA:

http://www.business-journal.com/

New Owners of WYTV, WKBN/WYFX
On Track to Consolidate Operations

Feb. 7, 2007 4:02 p.m.
By Andrea Wood
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - The company that is acquiring WYTV is closely affiliated with the company that is acquiring WKBN-TV and its sister station WYFX - and that association likely will mean a sharing of broadcast operations that could drastically alter the way all three stations do business. [MORE]

WYTV Sold to Los Angeles Start-up

Feb. 6, 2007 4:59 p.m.
By Andrea Wood
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - WYTV is being sold to a newly formed broadcasting company based in Los Angeles, station management announced Monday afternoon during a staff meeting.

The acqusition by Parkin Broadcasting LLC is a purchase of the assets of Chelsey Broadcasting Co. of Youngstown LLC, which consists of Channel 33, an ABC affiliate, and a contract to broadcast MyNetwork. [MORE]

http://www.vindy.com/content/busines...8522359289.php

LA company signs deal to buy WYTV

The buyer has been working with Internet-related ventures.

By DON SHILLING

VINDICATOR BUSINESS EDITOR

YOUNGSTOWN WYTV Channel 33 is being sold to a newly formed broadcasting company based in Los Angeles.

The Youngstown-based station will become the platform for "ideas to marry new media, such as the Internet, with television," Todd Parkin, chairman and chief executive of Parkin Broadcasting, said in a news release.

His company signed an agreement Monday to buy the station from Chelsey Broadcasting, which is owned by New York investors. The deal must be approved by the Federal Communications Commission and is expected to be completed in the second quarter of this year.

The purchase price was not disclosed.

The release said Parkin has spent the past four years developing and consulting on Internet-related ventures. Parkin and his staff have focused on streaming media and mobile content.

Reaction

Dave Trabert, WYTV general manager, said he's excited that the station will be affiliated with a company with experience in such areas.

"Everything is moving to the Internet," he said.

He said he wasn't sure why Parkin selected WYTV as its first station, adding that Chelsey had not been trying to sell the station. Chelsey acquired the station in 2002.

Parkin could not be reached to comment.

Trabert met with his staff of about 70 Tuesday and afterward said no changes are expected immediately.

"It's business as usual," he said.

He said he signed a two-year employment contract with Chelsey last month and expects to remain with the new company.

Trabert noted that WYTV has tried to be progressive as it has added the capability to send its signal digitally.

It has added MyYTV, which provides local programming. It is available over the air at 33.2 on digital receivers and on local cable lineups.

It also created a 24-hour local weather station at 33.3. He said he has been talking with local cable operators about picking up that station as well.

Digital broadcasting allows stations to broadcast more than one station without having to receive separate government licenses.
post #1011 of 1958 Old 02-23-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Well, it is DEFINITELY official(at least according to the person I spoke too at TWC Hermitage/Sharon,PA This person is the Tech in charge of everything over there, and used to run the Adelphia Head office in New Castle, PA so he is reliable):

The SHaron/Hermitage, PA TWC hub will soon be getting it's channel info from Akron, OH and become part of the Cleveland DMA.

F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more KDKA/CBS WPGH/FOX out of the Burgh, and still unknown(at least according to the genuine gentlemen I spoke to over at TWC) is if it will still carry Fox Sports Pittsburgh(especially important for people, like me, who are fans of the Pirates/Penguins/Steelers/Stan Savaran's Sportsbeat/etc...) because that is a cable channel, and may still be included in the channel lineup, along with Fox Sports Ohio

Once again:

F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy, is this a kick in the blank for Steeler fans, and Pirate fans.

I am sure i am not the only one who lives in PA, and receives there cable from TWC out of Hermitage/Sharon, PA that is going to be PISSED about this.

The gentlemen said that he did not know when this is going too happen, but it is DEFINITELY going too happen. He just has not been told when it is going to take place, and will not know until right before it actually does.

I would not be super upset if:

WKBN/CBS Youngstown and WYFX/FOX YTown fall under the DMA for the Steeler games, and we still get FSN Pittsburgh for the other team info, but I am really worried this is not the case.

Does anyone know if WKBN and WYFX will fall under the Steelers DMA, or they will go to the Cleveland Browns DMA?

I would hope they would go to the Steelers DMA, but I am really worried it is not going to, or it is unknown as of now, or they have a choice(I DOUBT this greatly).

So now I have F*cking joy of watching the Cleveland Browns on BOTH WKBN or WOIO out of Cleveland at the same time. Also with the local Fox stations, showing the same game.

Yippee!!!

F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I wish I had a choice of my cable provider since I live on the border between Comcast(out of New Castle, and in the Pittsburgh DMA) and TWC. I wonder if that is possible.

Living in Pulaski(zip 16143) gives me the option of getting DirecTV, and getting the local Burgh channels this way, since getting the Ytown channels would be a SNAP with an antenna.

Pulaski's zip appears to be the last one where you can get Pittsburgh locals on satellite.

Dish Network, oddly, list the YTown stations as my locals for the same zip(16143). Weird

Now begins the wait/anger as too how else TWC could F me over.

They already took away the locals in HD where I am over CLEAR QAM over 3 months ago.

He also made that perfectly clear to me too(this I don't buy. This is BS as far as I am concerned so I would rent on their boxes) that TWC send's NOTHING IN THE CLEAR, even the locals in HD.

I know this is BS because it appears everyone around me, in Sharon/Hermitage, PA receive the locals(Ytown/Cleveland) HD/digital in the clear with their STB's(plus some others).

Blood is BEGINNING TO BOIL.

Worse thing ever to happen. TWC taking over.
post #1012 of 1958 Old 02-25-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Well, it is DEFINITELY official(at least according to the person I spoke too at TWC Hermitage/Sharon,PA This person is the Tech in charge of everything over there, and used to run the Adelphia Head office in New Castle, PA so he is reliable):

The SHaron/Hermitage, PA TWC hub will soon be getting it's channel info from Akron, OH and become part of the Cleveland DMA.

F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more KDKA/CBS WPGH/FOX out of the Burgh, and still unknown(at least according to the genuine gentlemen I spoke to over at TWC) is if it will still carry Fox Sports Pittsburgh(especially important for people, like me, who are fans of the Pirates/Penguins/Steelers/Stan Savaran's Sportsbeat/etc...) because that is a cable channel, and may still be included in the channel lineup, along with Fox Sports Ohio

Once again:

F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy, is this a kick in the blank for Steeler fans, and Pirate fans.

I am sure i am not the only one who lives in PA, and receives there cable from TWC out of Hermitage/Sharon, PA that is going to be PISSED about this.

The gentlemen said that he did not know when this is going too happen, but it is DEFINITELY going too happen. He just has not been told when it is going to take place, and will not know until right before it actually does.

I would not be super upset if:

WKBN/CBS Youngstown and WYFX/FOX YTown fall under the DMA for the Steeler games, and we still get FSN Pittsburgh for the other team info, but I am really worried this is not the case.

Does anyone know if WKBN and WYFX will fall under the Steelers DMA, or they will go to the Cleveland Browns DMA?

I would hope they would go to the Steelers DMA, but I am really worried it is not going to, or it is unknown as of now, or they have a choice(I DOUBT this greatly).

So now I have F*cking joy of watching the Cleveland Browns on BOTH WKBN or WOIO out of Cleveland at the same time. Also with the local Fox stations, showing the same game.

Yippee!!!

F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I wish I had a choice of my cable provider since I live on the border between Comcast(out of New Castle, and in the Pittsburgh DMA) and TWC. I wonder if that is possible.

Living in Pulaski(zip 16143) gives me the option of getting DirecTV, and getting the local Burgh channels this way, since getting the Ytown channels would be a SNAP with an antenna.

Pulaski's zip appears to be the last one where you can get Pittsburgh locals on satellite.

Dish Network, oddly, list the YTown stations as my locals for the same zip(16143). Weird

Now begins the wait/anger as too how else TWC could F me over.

They already took away the locals in HD where I am over CLEAR QAM over 3 months ago.

He also made that perfectly clear to me too(this I don't buy. This is BS as far as I am concerned so I would rent on their boxes) that TWC send's NOTHING IN THE CLEAR, even the locals in HD.

I know this is BS because it appears everyone around me, in Sharon/Hermitage, PA receive the locals(Ytown/Cleveland) HD/digital in the clear with their STB's(plus some others).

Blood is BEGINNING TO BOIL.

Worse thing ever to happen. TWC taking over.

When it comes to the steelers/pirates on FOX you are in luck. If either one of them play it will air on WJW out of Cleveland and WYFX out of Youngstown in addition to WPGH out of Pittsburgh. When the Pens play on NBC, it will air on WKYC out of Cleveland and WFMJ out of Youngstown.

As for Fox sports Pittsburgh there should be a good chance since Fox just sold FSN Pittsburgh to Liberty media in exchange for News Corp stock Liberty owned. The Armstrong system in Mahoning county has carried both FOX sports Ohio and Pittsburgh since the begining so I don't see it as a problem. In fact when it comes to whose in the Pens DMA, the Pens claim Youngstown as their turf and whenever the blue jackets plan on FSN Ohio it is blacked out.

As for sportstime Ohio they may have it on a shared channel since they only are on air 4PM-midnite.
post #1013 of 1958 Old 02-25-2007, 02:11 PM

I tuned in WKBN-DT today at 4PM to catch the OSU-Wisconsin game. The Duke-St. Johns game was running a few minutes over. You guys cut to a commercial in the middle of action in the Duke-St. Johns game, so I thought that you would cut to the OSU-Wisconsin game to catch the opening tip. When you came back from commercial, you came back in the middle of action back to the Duke game. I noticed that analog WKBN did switch over to the OSU game in time for opening tip. WKBN-DT eventually switched to the OSU game AFTER the Duke game finished, missing the first minute-and-a-half or so of the OSU game. I would guess that somebody hit the wrong button at WKBN-DT control. I imagine you might have received some calls about this - just letting you know so you can watch out for this on future games.

Somebody was asleep the last 16 seconds, too. Coming out of a commercial break, they forgot to flip the switch back to HD - the last 16 seconds were in SD!
post #1014 of 1958 Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 PM

WFMJ is getting lazy too on the SD/HD switch. A few times (when my cable is working) I noticed that the Today Show is in SD not HD. Of course, a few times, they had the wrong feed for a sporting event totally.
post #1015 of 1958 Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero69 View Post

I noticed that the Today Show is in SD not HD.

I think the final hour of Today has always been 4:3 SD...
figured it was tape delayed due to Regis...

have noticed some odd switches back to network on WFMJ-DT...
audio goes but the video turns a chroma key green...

Ed...
post #1016 of 1958 Old 02-27-2007, 06:12 AM

I'm talking about the 7:00 segment before I leave for work. They always flip to SD for the weather segment when Al Roker tosses it to the local affiliate, but there have been mornings where it never is switched from SD for the morning show to HD for the first hour of Today.

Not that its an issue, because I don't really watch it for the HD (Meredith Vieira is a little scary in HD) but it's sort of a lack of timing on the engineer.
post #1017 of 1958 Old 03-04-2007, 12:31 PM

I can't receive WYTV-DT, and I see that its status with the FCC is "Construction Permit Modification" and its power is only 50.

Does anyone know if it will be going to a higher power output at some point? I receive ALL of the other Youngstown stations.

Thanks!
post #1018 of 1958 Old 03-05-2007, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike888 View Post

I can't receive WYTV-DT, and I see that its status with the FCC is "Construction Permit Modification" and its power is only 50.

Does anyone know if it will be going to a higher power output at some point? I receive ALL of the other Youngstown stations.

Thanks!

From past discussion on this, it does not seem likely. WYTV has always been the lagger in the Ytown market. Their analog signal has always been the weakest of the Ytown Big 3. They have also just been purchased and it looks like they will be run jointly with WKBN. Check out Ohio Media Watch at:

http://ohiomedia.blogspot.com/

for recent news on WYTV.
post #1019 of 1958 Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackKnight View Post

From past discussion on this, it does not seem likely. WYTV has always been the lagger in the Ytown market. Their analog signal has always been the weakest of the Ytown Big 3. They have also just been purchased and it looks like they will be run jointly with WKBN. Check out Ohio Media Watch at:

http://ohiomedia.blogspot.com/

for recent news on WYTV.

Historically, WYTV has always been behind..Back to their days as WKST-TV New Castle Pa..In the late 1950's they were on channel 45, moving down the dial to 33 in 1959..I get a "signal" but no picture on analog 33 with my Philips indoor antenna here in Canton...21 comes in with a little snow on analog but the digital channels are very inconsistent-in and out..about a 45 signal strength...Digital 27 and WYFX comes in well most of the time with 55-63 signal strength range..WNEO and the PBS digital are usually 60-65 in range...As a comparison, WDLI-17 in Canton has a 65-75 range..

Trivia:after the original 45 moved down to 33, another station was put on 45 in Youngstown (WXTV) as an independent..only lasted 1960-62..WFMJ-21 was originally on channel 73..
post #1020 of 1958 Old 03-05-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post

Historically, WYTV has always been behind..Back to their days as WKST-TV New Castle Pa..In the late 1950's they were on channel 45, moving down the dial to 33 in 1959..I get a "signal" but no picture on analog 33 with my Philips indoor antenna here in Canton...21 comes in with a little snow on analog but the digital channels are very inconsistent-in and out..about a 45 signal strength...Digital 27 and WYFX comes in well most of the time with 55-63 signal strength range..WNEO and the PBS digital are usually 60-65 in range...As a comparison, WDLI-17 in Canton has a 65-75 range..

Trivia:after the original 45 moved down to 33, another station was put on 45 in Youngstown (WXTV) as an independent..only lasted 1960-62..WFMJ-21 was originally on channel 73..

Out of all ofthe Youngstown TV stations past and present, WYTV gets the award for the most unique station in town. A part of the reason why they are lower power is they spend more money on programming/local programs than on transmission.

Take for example in the 80's. They tried a 5 PM news type program with now business journal pubisher Andrea Wood, they at some point had a local live program at 11 AM (before ABC would take the hour), and was the last of Youngstown's big three to air cartoons in the afternoon (they aired the disney afternoon in the early 90's).

In addition to being the first station in town to go 24/7 with the now gone All News Channel, they were the market's first FOX station airing NFL football, and one season of COPS,The X-Files, and Melrose Place. But many preferred WKBN and WFMJ due to their local ownership and stronger programming. WYTV prior to WYFX,WBCB, and MY-YTV signing on was the station that aired a little bit of everything.

They also love to preempt alot of ABC programming which explains why they might have lower ratings and fewer advertisers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYTV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MY-YTV

One of WYTV's promotions where they gave away a house in 1993:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Md-bN9aY_w

A local WYTV hosted movie show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwtboQScAWM
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page