Youngstown, OH - HDTV - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1954 Old 06-02-2007, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Here is a color coded map for WNEO-DT in the Poland area. Some areas may have difficulty, especially the cyan, blue and magenta areas. Green may be tricky, but can be possible with an indoor antenna.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1954 Old 06-08-2007, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,
Would anyone know if WFMJ is off the air? I lost them around 4pm today.
Thanks
post #1083 of 1954 Old 06-26-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevemkt View Post

WNEO-DT will begin HD programming on or before July 1st. 45.1 will be 24 hours HD channel and 45.2 will be SD rebroadcast of the NTSC signal.

Good news!

PBS 45 & 49 are pleased to announce that we are now broadcasting in HD on both 45.1 and 49.1. The picture is full HD, 1080i, at 13 mbps. Our HD program schedule can be viewed at http://pbs4549.org/schedule.htm. The HD channel will be on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The rebroadcast of our analog signal is still located at 45.2 and 49.2
At this time the Create! channel, previously located at 45.1 and 49.1, and The Ohio Channel, at 45.3 and 49.3, are no longer being broadcast.

I hope you enjoy this new broadcast service. Please let me know if you have quality issues or other comments.

Don Freeman
Chief Operating Officer
WNEO/WEAO
post #1084 of 1954 Old 06-26-2007, 09:07 AM

Hello Don,

I just want to say that my Wife and I enjoy watching the cooking shows on Sunday mornings. I am able to receive your digital signal most mornings but I loose you around 9 am. I guess I cannot complain, as I am located in Oil City, Pa. Keep up the Good Work!!
post #1085 of 1954 Old 06-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Don the Chief Operating Officer,

Oh No, I just reread your post and the cooking shows we watch are on Create. Will you be broadcasting Create again soon? I know I am going to miss Tina Nordström. She is one tough cook, and not bad looking either
post #1086 of 1954 Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

Oh No, I just reread your post and the cooking shows we watch are on Create. Will you be broadcasting Create again soon? I know I am going to miss Tina Nordström. She is one tough cook, and not bad looking either

Something had to be sacrificed to allow 1080i HD and the simulcast of analog.
post #1087 of 1954 Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBS4549 View Post

I hope you enjoy this new broadcast service. Please let me know if you have quality issues or other comments.

Don Freeman
Chief Operating Officer
WNEO/WEAO

Don,

Thank you for the update.

It would be great if you could make the distracting, bright white station identifier in the lower right-hand corner medium gray and somewhat translucent. Thank you.
post #1088 of 1954 Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

Our digital encoder won't allow us to broadcast more than 1 SD stream when we broadcast the HD stream. We will purchase a new encoder later this year and installation could come by March 2008. At that time we'll be able to broadcast multiple SD channels along with HD. Create! and other services available to PBS stations will be considered at that time.

Don Freeman
Chief Operating Officer
WNEO/WEAO
post #1089 of 1954 Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemtubes View Post

Don,

Thank you for the update.

It would be great if you could make the distracting, bright white station identifier in the lower right-hand corner medium gray and somewhat translucent. Thank you.

I don't have a logo generator or switcher available to the HD stream right now, but I must have a legal ID on air. Right now we're generating the bug inside our encoder and it is not very sophisticated in what it allows us to do.
I have money allocated in my August budget to get the proper equipment so I can make the HD bug as transparent as our analog bug. All of this means the current bug will remain until September.

Don Freeman
Chief Operating Officer
WNEO/WEAO
post #1090 of 1954 Old 06-28-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
About the HD ID bug, Don...and maybe you can answer a question I've always had:

Does the legal ID for the stations have to include the "-DT" part?
i.e.

WNEO-DT Alliance
WEAO-DT Akron

I notice you don't have the -DT right now, and I have always wondered if it was necessary or not. I do see it on other stations, usually in combo with their analog ID (i.e. WKBN-TV/DT).
post #1091 of 1954 Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

About the HD ID bug, Don...and maybe you can answer a question I've always had:

Does the legal ID for the stations have to include the "-DT" part?
i.e.

WNEO-DT Alliance
WEAO-DT Akron

I notice you don't have the -DT right now, and I have always wondered if it was necessary or not. I do see it on other stations, usually in combo with their analog ID (i.e. WKBN-TV/DT).

The FCC website lists the call with the "-DT" on the license, so I believe they should be including it to be legal. They may be considering the ID for the NTSC stations as the ID also for the ATSCs. Plus the clutter of all 4 IDs paired with the cities of license. I am sure it was an oversight... we need an FCC attorney on here.
post #1092 of 1954 Old 06-29-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The FCC website lists the call with the "-DT" on the license, so I believe they should be including it to be legal. They may be considering the ID for the NTSC stations as the ID also for the ATSCs. Plus the clutter of all 4 IDs paired with the cities of license. I am sure it was an oversight... we need an FCC attorney on here.

If we're right about this, the analog simulcast should bear:

WNEO-TV/DT Alliance
WEAO-TV/DT Akron

(I'm not all that sure the FCC cares that "-TV" may be implied.)

That's because it shows up on .2 on both DT channels... so, it wouldn't be all that cluttery.
post #1093 of 1954 Old 06-30-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:

I don't have a logo generator or switcher available to the HD stream right now, but I must have a legal ID on air. Right now we're generating the bug inside our encoder and it is not very sophisticated in what it allows us to do.
I have money allocated in my August budget to get the proper equipment so I can make the HD bug as transparent as our analog bug. All of this means the current bug will remain until September.

Don Freeman
Chief Operating Officer
WNEO/WEAO

I posted this on the Cleveland fourm but since you are here I will post it here as well. I have a question about W58AM CH 58 (ch 45) and its digital repeater on ch 44. I noticed and in addition to hearing that ch 58 was taken off the air and will be replaced on digital ch 44? Is there a set date for ch 44 digital repeater to sign on and what will the power and coverage area be?

I also have a question that I have always wanted to know. Why is the community of license for WNEO Alliance and not either Salem or Youngstown? If I am not mistaken I thought that Alliance was a part of the Cleveland DMA? And if that is the case then how can you guys call ch 45 a Youngstown market station evnthough the community of license is a part of a different DMA?
post #1094 of 1954 Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:

If we're right about this, the analog simulcast should bear:

WNEO-TV/DT Alliance
WEAO-TV/DT Akron

(I'm not all that sure the FCC cares that "-TV" may be implied.)

That's because it shows up on .2 on both DT channels... so, it wouldn't be all that cluttery.

Some NTSC call signs end in -TV and some do not. From what I can find, WNEO and WEAO do not. Maybe WEAO/WEAO-DT Akron?
post #1095 of 1954 Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavtv View Post

I posted this on the Cleveland fourm but since you are here I will post it here as well. I have a question about W58AM CH 58 (ch 45) and its digital repeater on ch 44. I noticed and in addition to hearing that ch 58 was taken off the air and will be replaced on digital ch 44? Is there a set date for ch 44 digital repeater to sign on and what will the power and coverage area be?

I also have a question that I have always wanted to know. Why is the community of license for WNEO Alliance and not either Salem or Youngstown? If I am not mistaken I thought that Alliance was a part of the Cleveland DMA? And if that is the case then how can you guys call ch 45 a Youngstown market station evnthough the community of license is a part of a different DMA?

CH 58 is still on the air. CH 44 DTV has been applied for but not yet awarded, as far as I can find. There is no timetable for digital conversion of translators and it may well be after the 2009 deadline that it goes digital. Re: Alliance city of license... not sure, but my guess is that there was no educational station allotted for Youngstown, but 45 was available in the nearby county. Anybody know for sure? The station is identified as WNEO Alliance. FCC rules allow you to identify any other community once you ID your city of license, ie, WUAB Lorain-Cleveland or WVPX Akron-Cleveland etc.
post #1096 of 1954 Old 07-03-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthSquad View Post

It's the phrase that the government (FCC & Congress) has used to describe cable boxes that allow the user to choose (navigate) programs.

Anyone with Time Warner Cable out of Sharon/Hermitage notice this yet besides me?

You have to have a Gemstar/TVGuide menu built into too something to see, but this has begun to happen with mine. Funny how it "started to work again" on July 1st, 2007. The day that mandate began.

Does this mean the TVGuide(Gemstar) data being passed through now as well?

Here is why I ask:

I have Sony RDR HX-900 160GB HDD/DVD Recorder that has built in TVGuide menu.

It always worked for Adelphia when they were my cable provider.

Then TWC took over in Nov. 2006 permanently and the signal went away(got the NO LISTING on every channel). I did not care because I TIMER PROGRAM/RECORD everything anyway. But it was "Nice" to have the name of the show listed in the directory for later playback. Not a huge deal, but nice.

Anyway on Sunday, July 1st, when I turned on my Sony, it immediately went to the TVGuide page, and asked me to pick out one cable provider because using my zip code shows about 6 different channel lineups from local providers for my area.

I thought it was weird, but picked the right one. Later I turned it off, and did not give it any further thought.

On Monday July 2nd, I turned it on, and noticed now that day, and a couple of days ahead were again filled with tv listings. It was back to the way it was.

Does this mandate force them to send this out again?

They definitely were blocking it, or not passing it through before when they took over. That is for sure
post #1097 of 1954 Old 07-04-2007, 08:54 AM

What's up with WNEO 45-2? Ever since they went to PBS HD on 45-1, the 45-2 channel has been mainly dark for me, but the program titles (on my "Info" button) remain active. I've resorted to watching analog 45 so I can get my fix of "Nightly Business Report" at 6:30 PM. I normally post on the Pittsburgh boards, but I don't think many people in the 'burgh can receive 45/49 as well as I can. Thanks!!
post #1098 of 1954 Old 07-04-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some NTSC call signs end in -TV and some do not. From what I can find, WNEO and WEAO do not. Maybe WEAO/WEAO-DT Akron?

Right. Either way, I'm pretty sure the -DT has to be there on all the digital subchannels. WKYC even IDs WKYC-DT once an hour on WeatherPlus.
post #1099 of 1954 Old 07-04-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghturbo88 View Post

What's up with WNEO 45-2? Ever since they went to PBS HD on 45-1, the 45-2 channel has been mainly dark for me, but the program titles (on my "Info" button) remain active. I've resorted to watching analog 45 so I can get my fix of "Nightly Business Report" at 6:30 PM. I normally post on the Pittsburgh boards, but I don't think many people in the 'burgh can receive 45/49 as well as I can. Thanks!!

I believe WNEO/WEAO is having technical problems with the encoder, and can only pass through PBS HD (.1) for now.

49.2 is present here signal wise, but is blank and says "No picture" on my TV. It was up when they first switched the HD back on. If I remember right from the Cleveland board here, they're working on it and hope to be back soon on .2.
post #1100 of 1954 Old 07-05-2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:

I believe WNEO/WEAO is having technical problems with the encoder, and can only pass through PBS HD (.1) for now.

49.2 is present here signal wise, but is blank and says "No picture" on my TV. It was up when they first switched the HD back on. If I remember right from the Cleveland board here, they're working on it and hope to be back soon on .2.

Inundated is correct. Our encoder is having problems passing through multiple digital streams. Our engineers are working daily with the manufacturer. At this point we don't know what our options are. When we have a handle on the situation I'll post it on this forum.

Don Freeman
Chief Operating Officer
WNEO/WEAO
post #1101 of 1954 Old 07-05-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:

Right. Either way, I'm pretty sure the -DT has to be there on all the digital subchannels.

Clevemkt is correct. Our FCC mandated IDs are not correct. We are reediting all of our work now to add the DT designation. Those IDs will begin appearing this month.
We are also having problems with our digital encoder since we signed on with HD late last month. That is why we are only able to broadcast 45.1 and 49.1. We have now bypassed the encoder while we work with the manufacturer to correct the technical limitations the unit has. That is why there is no bug in the lower right hand corner of the HD signal.
Adding to our engineers stress are continual power outages at the Channel 45 Salem site. We are now limited to 25% power on our Channel 45 analog signal while we try to replace older elements in the transmitter.

Don Freeman
Chief Operating Officer
WNEO/WEAO
post #1102 of 1954 Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Clevemkt is correct. Our FCC mandated IDs are not correct. We are reediting all of our work now to add the DT designation. Those IDs will begin appearing this month.
We are also having problems with our digital encoder since we signed on with HD late last month. That is why we are only able to broadcast 45.1 and 49.1. We have now bypassed the encoder while we work with the manufacturer to correct the technical limitations the unit has. That is why there is no bug in the lower right hand corner of the HD signal.
Adding to our engineers stress are continual power outages at the Channel 45 Salem site. We are now limited to 25% power on our Channel 45 analog signal while we try to replace older elements in the transmitter.

Don Freeman
Chief Operating Officer
WNEO/WEAO

Thanks for the update, Don! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your staff. Looking forward to your return!
post #1103 of 1954 Old 07-11-2007, 03:14 PM

Don, the HD shows on 45.1 are AWESOME! I've had my hdtv for over a year now, and the HD PBS channel has some of the best colors and detail I've seen on any channel in the Youngstown market yet. Awesome job!

On a side note, any idea on how the TV Guide On Screen signal will be sent out from 45 once analog ends?
post #1104 of 1954 Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Don Freeman
Chief Operating Officer
WNEO/WEAO

Looks like 45.2 and 49.2 are back! (oops, just looked at the Cleveland AVS and saw your message) That's great news. Congrats... I know how frustrating it can be when equipment fails and no one can figure out the problem...even the manufacturer. My guess is that PBS stations can't just throw money at it like the commercial guys. Speaking of money, I see the governor cut funding for public tv calling it pork. Nice. You keep up the good work.... we'll sit back and enjoy some ribs. -Jim
post #1105 of 1954 Old 08-06-2007, 08:06 PM

This evening when I got home I noticed that WUAB on TWC Channel 6 and the HD feed is gone on. The text on screen say's "WUAB 43 is no longer avab in your area to view My Network TV programming tune to Ch 534 or 734.

There wasn't any kind of notice in our local papers saying on this date WUAB will no longer carried. I thought they have to give 30 Days Notice..

I am also getting WNEO HD on Ch 549 and WNEO DT on Channel 550

101-1 Is NOW WNEO HD
101-4 IS NOW WNEO DT
123-1 IS WVIZ HD

I am still getting WUAB in the Clear on 108-2
TUBE is still on Ch 545 and 108-3
post #1106 of 1954 Old 08-08-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmojo2006 View Post

This evening when I got home I noticed that WUAB on TWC Channel 6 and the HD feed is gone on. The text on screen say's "WUAB 43 is no longer avab in your area to view My Network TV programming tune to Ch 534 or 734.

There wasn't any kind of notice in our local papers saying on this date WUAB will no longer carried. I thought they have to give 30 Days Notice..

I am also getting WNEO HD on Ch 549 and WNEO DT on Channel 550

101-1 Is NOW WNEO HD
101-4 IS NOW WNEO DT
123-1 IS WVIZ HD

I am still getting WUAB in the Clear on 108-2
TUBE is still on Ch 545 and 108-3

Well looks like WYTV figured a way to get ch 43 off the lineup at least on the basic tier. I wonder if that means MY-YTV will replace WUAB on basic.

MY-YTV cable channels:
Adelphia Ch. 734 - Armstrong Ch. 13
Comcast Ch. 3 - Time Warner Ch. 534

Speaking of WYTV, now that Parkin has taken over, and they are talking with New Vision/WKBN/WYFX about a shared services agreement, what will happen in the newsrooms of the two stations? From what I have read, the newscasts will still be seperate but New Vision has the option of producing fully staffed local news for ch 33 as long as the newscasts don't make up more than 15 percent of the daily programming.

If this does occur how can New Vision produce two different newscasts at the same time for two different channels? It does sound like alot for New Vision to handle and what would be the point.

http://www.wytv.com/myytv/3824346.html

http://ohiomedia.blogspot.com/2007/0...wytv-sale.html

http://www.tribune-chronicle.com/bus...rticleID=20852

http://www.vindy.com/content/busines...9270032465.php

http://www.pbrtv.com/blog/index.html
post #1107 of 1954 Old 08-08-2007, 09:06 AM

Maybe WYTV will up thier power.

Tom
post #1108 of 1954 Old 08-08-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post

Maybe WYTV will up thier power.

We can only hope that more power and better programming is in store for WYTV/MY-YTV. I have noticed their OTA signal is less than great lately.
post #1109 of 1954 Old 08-29-2007, 11:15 AM

Does anyone know if YSU vs OSU will be broadcast local
post #1110 of 1954 Old 08-29-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcomputer View Post

Does anyone know if YSU vs OSU will be broadcast local

As I understand it, The Big 10 has an exclusive contract with DirecTV. It will be on radio but no OTA or cable systems can carry it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page